How close is Richo to the exit?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

congorozides
Club Player

Re: How close is Richo to the exit?

The_President wrote:
congorozides wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:I think the board are fairly committed to Richo.
But they would be hearing the "noise" from the supporters.
And "noise" makes board members nervous.
Forget the noise from the supporters.

Watch the games and look at the scores. Look at our %. Look at our losing margins.

Richo is a dead man walking.
I thought you left?
I'm trying.
Waiting for the Mods to block my log in.

If you are particularly aggrieved about my presence I encourage you to be constructive and lobby the Mods rather than whinge about it like a little baby.

What are you President of exactly?

A f***wit's society?

You were probably voted in by a landslide majority of your peers.

<warning for abuse >

Premium89
Club Player

congorozides wrote:

Watch the games and look at the scores. Look at our %. Look at our losing margins.

Remember 8 months ago? Bucks was dead man walking.
Remember 18-20 months ago? Dimma was a dead man walking.

Still remains to be seen whether Richo will be one of the above, but turning form around doesn’t always mean drop punting the coach.

And we will still have to take drastic action to reverse this slump - both the above clubs did it.

jays
Club Player

no chance dont get anywhere sacking coaches look at tigers ImageImage
ImageImage

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

jays wrote:no chance dont get anywhere sacking coaches look at tigers ImageImage
ImageImage
How can we compare Hardwick to Richo?

Hardwick had taken Richmond to the finals twice in his first five seasons. Didn't they make three finals campaigns before their 2016 slump?

After 5 seasons Richo has a 36% winning record. Sticking by a coach wont automatically make the next supercoach.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

congorozides wrote:
The_President wrote:
congorozides wrote:

I thought you left?
I'm trying.

If you are particularly aggrieved about my presence I encourage you to be constructive and lobby the Mods rather than whinge about it like a little baby.

A f***wit's society?

OMG
This is the funniest post of the year!
Please don't leave,
I was laughing so much I nearly wet myself!

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
barneyboyz
Club Player

St DAC wrote:I'm not quite sure why a gameplan that worked so well against the eventual premiers 13 games ago is so out of date now. Folks seem to think a coach is also a miricle worker, but if the players can't hit targets and goals with any regularity no gameplan will work. No doubt the coaching staff have much work to do but the players have to own their form and turn it around.

Just sacking the coach, as have been proven many times over the years, is not an instant fix.

Look at Carlton & Malthouse as exhibit A on this.
Exactly, the plan isn't that bad, just the execution of it. Let's face it, when you stop kicking goals, then that heaps pressure everywhere. Ok, the delivery has been pretty awful (to say the obvious), but right now we just don't have a functioning forward line. Much to do with missing players, and trying to get games into Paddy, but it just hasn't worked.

If Blake plays forward tonight, then demand that Gresh gets front and centre every time instead of flying for marks. He and Billings can kick goals from this position because they don't have to think, they just have to do

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:Richo only gets sacked if the board has enough balls to stand up and say that they made a huge mistake when they extended him with a year to run on his contract.

Richo is a great line coach and a great developer... if that's his only role, but is a terrible senior coach.

He doesn't have a great football tactical brain, he isn't a great communicator, Is very routine and measured... which the majority of the group find boring because he can't inspire or challenge.

And with our group being so young, he struggles to relate to most of them, Richo is now 56, doesn't drink and is extremely straight.

So sobriety and straightness are the issues... best we get Molly Meldrum in as coach :oops: :oops:
In terms of why the board needs to have balls, if they were to come out and sack him, we would need to pay out his contract and because of the soft cap we would end up paying a fortune in tax because of our financial position.

Richo knows that the heat is on and will only keep being safe with selections.

It's a downward spiral that only ends one way... Hopefully its sooner than later
Last edited by whiskers3614 on Sat 12 May 2018 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.

congorozides
Club Player

How long can a coach survive with a 35% win rate?
100 games approaching.

barneyboyz
Club Player

barneyboyz wrote:
St DAC wrote:I'm not quite sure why a gameplan that worked so well against the eventual premiers 13 games ago is so out of date now. Folks seem to think a coach is also a miricle worker, but if the players can't hit targets and goals with any regularity no gameplan will work. No doubt the coaching staff have much work to do but the players have to own their form and turn it around.

Just sacking the coach, as have been proven many times over the years, is not an instant fix.

Look at Carlton & Malthouse as exhibit A on this.
Exactly, the plan isn't that bad, just the execution of it. Let's face it, when you stop kicking goals, then that heaps pressure everywhere. Ok, the delivery has been pretty awful (to say the obvious), but right now we just don't have a functioning forward line. Much to do with missing players, and trying to get games into Paddy, but it just hasn't worked.

If Blake plays forward tonight, then demand that Gresh gets front and centre every time instead of flying for marks. He and Billings can kick goals from this position because they don't have to think, they just have to do
Oh, and just one more thing, we and Richmond can provide plenty of examples of Exhibit B. in the sacking of coaches in the last half century, or so.

Keeping coaches in hard and difficult times has more than payed off for more than one club recently. Jus get the best people and recruiters around them

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Our recruiters should be much closer to the exit - they are the real culprits here.
But if our club were to change the coach, and keep the same recruiters - it would not surprise me. Nothing does - that's why we will never be a Hawthorn.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Saints board meeting next week. Fingers crossed!
As a matter of interest, SP, WHO would you see as a replacement?
Dunno, but Dave from Murumbeena would make an excellent interim coach to see out this season!
So that’s about how seriously you view this issue. :roll:
I’m not going to argue with The Blue Sky Brigade on this sorry.
No need to be sorry mate! :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Saints board meeting next week. Fingers crossed!
As a matter of interest, SP, WHO would you see as a replacement?
Dunno, but Dave from Murumbeena would make an excellent interim coach to see out this season!
So that’s about how seriously you view this issue. :roll:
I’m not going to argue with The Blue Sky Brigade on this sorry.
No need to be sorry mate! :lol:
Cool. Did you read the Malthouse article?

Will we get the Angry Bird Saints today vs. Rudderless Dockers (saucy Lyon)??

That’s our olnly hope for this round! :lol:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

How long is a piece of string?
Last edited by saynta on Sat 12 May 2018 1:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

There is not even the slightest chance that the coach gets the sack this year.

Needs the players to start winning a few games though.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Our recruiters should be much closer to the exit - they are the real culprits here.
But if our club were to change the coach, and keep the same recruiters - it would not surprise me. Nothing does - that's why we will never be a Hawthorn.
Recruiting or development?
I don't know, players burst onto the scene and look the goods then seem to stagnate in their development.

I go to a few charity lunches and at one a Saints mate asked a question of Leigh Matthews.
He said what is the difference between the Saints & Hawks?
Leigh said something like the Hawks have belief while the Saints have hope.

He said if the Hawks had of assembled the Saints list from 2000 - 2010 they'd have won four flags in that period while the Saints couldn't get one across the line.

Frightening truth is I believed what he said to be true.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:
The_President wrote:
congorozides wrote:

I thought you left?
I'm trying.

A f***wit's society?

<warning for abuse >
Mods / Admin will not delete or block users who voluntarily want to leave as a deletion / blocking is permanent. You can choose not to log in.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
1965 Saint
Club Player

congorozides wrote:
The_President wrote:
congorozides wrote:

I thought you left?
I'm trying.

A f***wit's society?

<warning for abuse >

Is this akin to death by cop Con?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

A win tonight, followed up with another next satdee night, and the guy’s back in the good books! AND (more importantly) the season gets back on track!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
I go to a few charity lunches and at one a Saints mate asked a question of Leigh Matthews.

He said if the Hawks had of assembled the Saints list from 2000 - 2010 they'd have won four flags in that period while the Saints couldn't get one across the line.

But you continue to believe that bad kicking is what cost us the flag in 2009, don't you? I am confused! Have you changed your mind about whether the game plan or the team selection or the use of players on or off the bench might have been as much to blame?

Ross Lyon was very good but will never be seen as a great coach imo. I did not think he was going to win us a flag and I was only 'hoping' he would once we made those GF. You and others supported the coach and his gameplan rather than understanding what Leigh Matthews is now telling you. The talent was there and the talent was not utilised properly.

You have posted many times in the past that you believe Lyon is a great coach and you believed his bs excuses that it was bad kicking or bad luck or a bad bounce that cost us. You continually rammed down our throats that we simply lost due to the players faults/kicking/etc.. This is what your messiah told you and the 'In Ross we Trust' brigade all repeated the bs party line. I can't understand why you and other people basked in the glory of Lyon's McLennan trophy achievements, and yet you now post that you believe what Lethal said.

After Ross Lyon was appointed and the mess off field settled down, we had the blueprint. I think that's what Lethal is saying...Our players proved they were worthy with AA honours, Norm Smith honours, Best and Fairest honours, a great high performance culture, great leaders on field, sustained output and results against Every Single AFL team to the point of winning 19 in a row...get the picture?? The final ingredient, being list management/team selection and most importantly the game plan all falls back on Mr Career Coach Rossy. I know that there was a footy department and a board that could have played a part with game plan or a slightly different course for team selection and list management but the head honcho super coach was the main one steering the ship

Right now I believe Richo is not the coach to take us forward. Unfortunately, I also think that we performed at our best in 2016/2017 and we need to turn over the list and do somewhat of a rebuild if we are going to challenge for a premiership

David-Lee
Club Player

Dreaming of a Gig: Assistants, Managers, Directors
1.Scott Camporeale: Carlton: what can I say? I like him. He has had a tough season but is a solid leader.

2. John Barker - Carlton : did a fine job as interim and as much as it pains me to say is building a damn fine team, even with their struggles they look like they are a team unified.

3. Roberto Harverino- well the greatest of all time - I love the guy but can he coach? Pies suck- their mids are ok. Is he the guy in waiting? If its based on coaching performance so far...well he's been ok. Is that enough? He doesnt interview well and that might be his Achilles.

4.Scotty Burn: Eagles, Pies and Hawks...he's been a bridesmaid a few times, does he have it? Not sure...But there should be no doubt the man can coach...will we give him a go? Should we?

5.Simon Llyod- Geelong director of coaching...would he be interested? I like his style and Scott said he was actually the one that manages the " teams daily doing". I would take a punt.

6. Allan McConnell- GWS Senior assit. He has been admin, on field, coaches box, strategist- players absolutely love the guy - they say hes the hardest man to please but the first to reach out his hand when you fail. Would he jump? I like him a lot. Surely we could get him a job.

7. Leigh Tudor- well he's wanted a crack at the top and as a mids coach is semi successful at North and was decent at Sydney. His name is starting to be whispered the last few job openings.

8. John Blakey: Sydney Director - been asst in maybe every position lol. Masterminded the best backline in recent history at Sydney and has been instrumental in developing not only players but assistants into leaders. Would he leave best friend Longmire behind for his second crack as a head coach ( 1 game at Brisbane)... nah. But I do think we should ask. He has been asked by others.

9. Matthew Nicks: Port: senior asst. Not a lot of chatter on him this year but he is higly regarded and word is Hinkley asked him to please ring him first when he is offered a head coaching role so he could congratulate...I dont like him, mostly because I'm a judgemental pretentious twat.
But that usually means he's a likely canidate for us and the players say he's brilliant.

10.Ben Rutten: Richmond Defense asst. I like him. Heard him discussing tackling theory and was blown the f@ck away. Very switched on. I think he's worth a shot.

11. Nick Davis: Sydney- as development guru he is very handy or is it the well oiled machine that just provides the impetus? Not likely but I dont think I've heard him as a candidate ever anywhere- anyone else hear?

12. Brett Kirk: Sydney- well he's a hippy. But his book- despite my fears was excellent. I listened to him discuss the role of fathers in a child life at an event and if one of the characteristics for head coach is intelligence and abilty to a communicate this the guy. He said if you arent winning check your mental game, look at the physical - refresh your self then risk everything getting as filthy and low as you have to whether its crawling or ripping heads off until you succeed ( not very Buddhist if you Kirky )...doesn't sound like a Alan Richardson positive or pleasing method.

14. Justin Longmuir: Pies Asst. : he was pivitol in roles at West Coast, did he think being a part of a coaching staff in Vic could hekp him to the top job? He wants it. I'm on the fence. I heard he doesnt interview too brilliant- he hired a business performance life coach whilst at Eagles but what exactly for?

This list goes on and on with Dean Solomon, Steven King, Adam Kingsley, Brendan Lade, and on. I reckon theres 30 blokes prepared even to coach not sure if they can win the big one but they all are capable.

My top 3 from this group
1.John Baker
2. Leigh Tudor
3. Brett Kirk

Legends, Nags and Retirees

1. Neil Craig- does he have it still? If he does will he leave as development guru and either be our head coach or develop our guys like he is doing at Carlton? He coached Crows very well and stumbled at Demons.His win ratio of 52.5% would have been much better if his one year at Demons and a 1-10 record didnt happen. Retired now but would lace up one more time? I would take him immediately.

2. Brenton Sanderson- did a job at Crows had a 56% win ratio which would place him almost 19% over our current coach.

3.Brett Ratten: Hawthorn, well he joined in 2012 he was part of the club's 2013, 2014 & 2015 premiership coaching panel.
His Carlton reign is interesting he did get them to the finals after years in the lower half...he did even get them to a top 5 finish with a finals win. He had a 50.4% win ratio as a head coach.
Was he actually a decent coach? Would Alastair hire a wanker and then keep him for years when he's know to be a ruthless task master? I'm willing but unsure.

4.Brenan McCarthy: Melbourne - even as a coach with 30.3 % win ratio overr 3 years at Bulldogs...he has won more than our coach. He's a decent development coach not confident on him at the top job.

5. Michael Voss- Port: he will bowl ya over for dead if you stood between him and a phone call for the job. Decent guy legend player. Coaching Brisbane his 39.9% win ratio still trumps our nag. I like him but think he eas given the magic wand too early. He is groeing leaps at Port and think he will get a look in soon sonewhere in a few years. I say no but he says yes.

6. Justin Leppitsch: asst at Richmond. Brought in after losing his job at Brisbane. He has a genuine ability to break down into steps a skill and teach it to forwards. Reiwoldt the Lesser said he learned more with him than any previous coach. Was it his fault Bears had 3 losing seasons and he finished with a 21% win ratio? Nah but yes. No thanks.

7. Alistair Clarkson: Hawks legend - did a mini rebuild of the club mid season last year...this is what happens when you build depth. He's contracted until the end of 2019. Do we ride out the mediocre reign of the Saints board, staff, coaches and players until 2020 and throw everything at Clarkson?

8. Paul Roos: He can revive dispirited teams- he proved it at Sydney and even Demons- thoigh some think he failed there bur they were pure s*** and whrn he left they were climbing with determination they hadn't had in a long time.

9.Rodney Eade- no. That is all. But yes hell yes to role in the organization.

10. Terry Wallace - so gone he's on the list to represent all the guys that the gane has passed.

Me dreaming:

11. Leigh Matthews - not a chance truly retired,but I'd have him now. I wish the board had the balls to ask.

12. Kevin Sheedy - again not a chance he's happy where he's at but I would offer him anything he wants.

Theres more but me number old legend or nag thats realistic:

1. Michael Voss

Dreaming:

1. Neil Craig

So

DIRECTOR OF FOOTBALL
1. Mark Williams
2.Neil Craig
3. Mick Maltouse

HEAD COACH:
1. Michael Voss
2. Leigh Tudor

Totally dreaming:
Head coach: Alastair Clarkson

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

As I see it, we have another couple of rounds, including tonight, for this side to get back on point. IF by round ten, we’ve not won another game, then it’s time to bring in the untried players from the VFL and use the second half of the year to produce something to work with in 2019. ( possibly with a new coaching panel )
Last edited by thejiggingsaint on Sat 12 May 2018 3:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

David-Lee
Club Player

Dreaming of a Gig: Assistants, Managers, Directors
1.Scott Camporeale: Carlton: what can I say? I like him. He has had a tough season but is a solid leader.

2. John Barker - Carlton : did a fine job as interim and as much as it pains me to say is building a damn fine team, even with their struggles they look like they are a team unified.

3. Roberto Harverino- well the greatest of all time - I love the guy but can he coach? Pies suck- their mids are ok. Is he the guy in waiting? If its based on coaching performance so far...well he's been ok. Is that enough? He doesnt interview well and that might be his Achilles.

4.Scotty Burn: Eagles, Pies and Hawks...he's been a bridesmaid a few times, does he have it? Not sure...But there should be no doubt the man can coach...will we give him a go? Should we?

5.Simon Llyod- Geelong director of coaching...would he be interested? I like his style and Scott said he was actually the one that manages the " teams daily doing". I would take a punt.

6. Allan McConnell- GWS Senior assit. He has been admin, on field, coaches box, strategist- players absolutely love the guy - they say hes the hardest man to please but the first to reach out his hand when you fail. Would he jump? I like him a lot. Surely we could get him a job.

7. Leigh Tudor- well he's wanted a crack at the top and as a mids coach is semi successful at North and was decent at Sydney. His name is starting to be whispered the last few job openings.

8. John Blakey: Sydney Director - been asst in maybe every position lol. Masterminded the best backline in recent history at Sydney and has been instrumental in developing not only players but assistants into leaders. Would he leave best friend Longmire behind for his second crack as a head coach ( 1 game at Brisbane)... nah. But I do think we should ask. He has been asked by others.

9. Matthew Nicks: Port: senior asst. Not a lot of chatter on him this year but he is higly regarded and word is Hinkley asked him to please ring him first when he is offered a head coaching role so he could congratulate...I dont like him, mostly because I'm a judgemental pretentious twat.
But that usually means he's a likely canidate for us and the players say he's brilliant.

10.Ben Rutten: Richmond Defense asst. I like him. Heard him discussing tackling theory and was blown the f@ck away. Very switched on. I think he's worth a shot.

11. Nick Davis: Sydney- as development guru he is very handy or is it the well oiled machine that just provides the impetus? Not likely but I dont think I've heard him as a candidate ever anywhere- anyone else hear?

12. Brett Kirk: Sydney- well he's a hippy. But his book- despite my fears was excellent. I listened to him discuss the role of fathers in a child life at an event and if one of the characteristics for head coach is intelligence and abilty to a communicate this the guy. He said if you arent winning check your mental game, look at the physical - refresh your self then risk everything getting as filthy and low as you have to whether its crawling or ripping heads off until you succeed ( not very Buddhist if you Kirky )...doesn't sound like a Alan Richardson positive or pleasing method.

14. Justin Longmuir: Pies Asst. : he was pivitol in roles at West Coast, did he think being a part of a coaching staff in Vic could hekp him to the top job? He wants it. I'm on the fence. I heard he doesnt interview too brilliant- he hired a business performance life coach whilst at Eagles but what exactly for?

This list goes on and on with Dean Solomon, Steven King, Adam Kingsley, Brendan Lade, and on. I reckon theres 30 blokes prepared even to coach not sure if they can win the big one but they all are capable.

My top 3 from this group
1.John Baker
2. Leigh Tudor
3. Brett Kirk

Legends, Nags and Retirees

1. Neil Craig- does he have it still? If he does will he leave as development guru and either be our head coach or develop our guys like he is doing at Carlton? He coached Crows very well and stumbled at Demons.His win ratio of 52.5% would have been much better if his one year at Demons and a 1-10 record didnt happen. Retired now but would lace up one more time? I would take him immediately.

2. Brenton Sanderson- did a job at Crows had a 56% win ratio which would place him almost 19% over our current coach.

3.Brett Ratten: Hawthorn, well he joined in 2012 he was part of the club's 2013, 2014 & 2015 premiership coaching panel.
His Carlton reign is interesting he did get them to the finals after years in the lower half...he did even get them to a top 5 finish with a finals win. He had a 50.4% win ratio as a head coach.
Was he actually a decent coach? Would Alastair hire a wanker and then keep him for years when he's know to be a ruthless task master? I'm willing but unsure.

4.Brenan McCarthy: Melbourne - even as a coach with 30.3 % win ratio overr 3 years at Bulldogs...he has won more than our coach. He's a decent development coach not confident on him at the top job.

5. Michael Voss- Port: he will bowl ya over for dead if you stood between him and a phone call for the job. Decent guy legend player. Coaching Brisbane his 39.9% win ratio still trumps our nag. I like him but think he eas given the magic wand too early. He is groeing leaps at Port and think he will get a look in soon sonewhere in a few years. I say no but he says yes.

6. Justin Leppitsch: asst at Richmond. Brought in after losing his job at Brisbane. He has a genuine ability to break down into steps a skill and teach it to forwards. Reiwoldt the Lesser said he learned more with him than any previous coach. Was it his fault Bears had 3 losing seasons and he finished with a 21% win ratio? Nah but yes. No thanks.

7. Alistair Clarkson: Hawks legend - did a mini rebuild of the club mid season last year...this is what happens when you build depth. He's contracted until the end of 2019. Do we ride out the mediocre reign of the Saints board, staff, coaches and players until 2020 and throw everything at Clarkson?

8. Paul Roos: He can revive dispirited teams- he proved it at Sydney and even Demons- thoigh some think he failed there bur they were pure s*** and whrn he left they were climbing with determination they hadn't had in a long time.

9.Rodney Eade- no. That is all. But yes hell yes to role in the organization.

10. Terry Wallace - so gone he's on the list to represent all the guys that the gane has passed.

Me dreaming:

11. Leigh Matthews - not a chance truly retired,but I'd have him now. I wish the board had the balls to ask.

12. Kevin Sheedy - again not a chance he's happy where he's at but I would offer him anything he wants.

Theres more but me number old legend or nag thats realistic:

1. Michael Voss

Dreaming:

1. Neil Craig

So

DIRECTOR OF FOOTBALL
1. Mark Williams
2.Neil Craig
3. Mick Maltouse

HEAD COACH:
1. Brett Ratten
2. Leigh Tudor

Totally dreaming:
Head coach: Alastair Clarkson

kalsaint
Club Player

skeptic wrote:Not close at all.

Extending a contract and then sacking the coach 7-8 games into the season... I just don’t see it happening
I didn't see GT being sacked in 2006 after finals. But then again Butters was a mess (albeit we didn't know that at the time).

I never underestimate when clubs take these decisions, if at all. If Saints management has improved and want to show stability we shouldn't see Richo go this season. If the club is to advance next year under Richo and his team then some improvement will be required this year. No improvement and 2018 or 2017 off season might be a different story.

Then again, they might say enough, lets restart now. Who knows?

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Definite NO to Barker as head coach...if you thought Richo uses too many cliches you'd be surprised if this bloke got the top gig.

Neil Craig..NO way!!

The guy's name is McCartney not McCarthy. He'd be a good get as a development coach.

Matthew Knights I reckon he'd be a good assistant, as would Leppa. plus... Brandon White is Leppa's cousin I think.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:

But you continue to believe that bad kicking is what cost us the flag in 2009, don't you? I am confused! Have you changed your mind about whether the game plan or the team selection or the use of players on or off the bench might have been as much to blame?

Ross Lyon was very good but will never be seen as a great coach imo. I did not think he was going to win us a flag and I was only 'hoping' he would once we made those GF. You and others supported the coach and his gameplan rather than understanding what Leigh Matthews is now telling you. The talent was there and the talent was not utilised properly.

You have posted many times in the past that you believe Lyon is a great coach and you believed his bs excuses that it was bad kicking or bad luck or a bad bounce that cost us. You continually rammed down our throats that we simply lost due to the players faults/kicking/etc.. This is what your messiah told you and the 'In Ross we Trust' brigade all repeated the bs party line. I can't understand why you and other people basked in the glory of Lyon's McLennan trophy achievements, and yet you now post that you believe what Lethal said.

After Ross Lyon was appointed and the mess off field settled down, we had the blueprint. I think that's what Lethal is saying...Our players proved they were worthy with AA honours, Norm Smith honours, Best and Fairest honours, a great high performance culture, great leaders on field, sustained output and results against Every Single AFL team to the point of winning 19 in a row...get the picture?? The final ingredient, being list management/team selection and most importantly the game plan all falls back on Mr Career Coach Rossy. I know that there was a footy department and a board that could have played a part with game plan or a slightly different course for team selection and list management but the head honcho super coach was the main one steering the ship

Right now I believe Richo is not the coach to take us forward. Unfortunately, I also think that we performed at our best in 2016/2017 and we need to turn over the list and do somewhat of a rebuild if we are going to challenge for a premiership
Great post, no actually a fantastic post. The truth will hurt some but that is no reason to not print it.

I do however believe that we are starting to turn the list over and are into a mini rebuild with players Marshall, White, Clark, Coffield and now Phillips, getting games.

Before years end, Freeman, Rice and Battle, with Paton a possibility, will be added to that list.

Any year where there are 6, 7 or more debutantes has to be a rebuilding year.