Petracca

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Petracca

Paddy will kick 8 :D

Wish Bakes was still playing. Would have put him on Petracca and made him feel the difference between AFL and VFL in the first ten minutes.

Hope we give him a hard time.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

8856brother wrote:Paddy will kick 8 :D
I assume you're drinking :wink:

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I'm tired of hearing nitwits bemoan us not picking up Petracca. Get over it! Our priority was to pick up a big forward, so Paddy was a logical choice.

No point in fretting over Petracca. Meanwhile, we have a star in of the future wearing the number 32.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

It's going to be difficult to compare Petracca and Paddy if both turn out to be the players they can be.

But what if you compare; Patton, Boyd, and Paddy?

Who would you take right now? They are all number one draft picks. At this point in time I would go Paddy no doubt about it.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Brayshaw has been omitted so he has come back to earth. 2nd year blues is a real thing. I think they play on adrenaline in the first year. The second year is a lot tougher because you get back to normal for adrenaline but still only have the two pre-seasons work behind you.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I am wondering how many posters on this thread still dream about old girlfriends / boyfriends of decades past.

They might have turned out butt-ugly no-hopers but that doesn't change the fact you made other choices for good reasons.

I hope Petracca turns out as good as people reckon, he has had a rough start to his AFL career. One thing is for sure, he will never grow into a big, strong clunk-marking key forward that StKilda knew it would need. Just like the one snoring and farting in your bed ain't Elle Mac or George Clooney but the one you knew you needed for the future. :D

Saint supporter since '62
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Wish Bakes was still playing. Would have put him on Petracca and made him feel the difference between AFL and VFL in the first ten minutes.

That's perhaps the best thing you've posted.

Was wondering who out of or current mob could take the cocky bastard on.

Members looks like a bit go rough nut. Shame Lonie was useless last week otherwise he could've done a Baker on the Tractor

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think Petracca will end up the better footballer in the end.

I also think Paddy will be very important.

Eg/ at Adelaide Sloane is a better player week in week out than Tex. But who is more important, who is harder to replace?

The only disappointment I have with Paddy is body shape. He still looks unfit.... Petracca looks like a beast
Been told that Petracca disposal skillls are very iffy but he is like a bull and very full of himself

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Brayshaw has been omitted so he has come back to earth. 2nd year blues is a real thing. I think they play on adrenaline in the first year. The second year is a lot tougher because you get back to normal for adrenaline but still only have the two pre-seasons work behind you.
It's called sore bodies. These younger guys can't absorb the punishment that older players can.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Brayshaw has been omitted so he has come back to earth. 2nd year blues is a real thing. I think they play on adrenaline in the first year. The second year is a lot tougher because you get back to normal for adrenaline but still only have the two pre-seasons work behind you.
It's called sore bodies. These younger guys can't absorb the punishment that older players can.
No arguments from me on this. I think 1st and 2nd year players should only play 12-14 games a season.

Rosco
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
Legendary wrote:Wish Bakes was still playing. Would have put him on Petracca and made him feel the difference between AFL and VFL in the first ten minutes.

Members looks like a bit go rough nut. Shame Lonie was useless last week otherwise he could've done a Baker on the Tractor
Mav.

ace
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:Paddy will kick 8 :D
For Sandringham

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Mav.
Webster

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

We could have our own Christian Petracca in Blake Acres. So we end up with both a desperately needed power forward in Paddy and an explosive, tall, strong as a bull midfielder who can push forward and kick goals in Acres.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Rosco wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Mav.
Webster
Given he hasn't played an AFL game yet, I reckon Richo would be mad not to play both of them on him!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:It's going to be difficult to compare Petracca and Paddy if both turn out to be the players they can be.

But what if you compare; Patton, Boyd, and Paddy?

Who would you take right now? They are all number one draft picks. At this point in time I would go Paddy no doubt about it.
Good point, the Jury is definitely out on all 3, no clear signs yet if any of them will be the success the recruiters gambled on.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
the dome
Club Player

Re: M c C A R T I N

10 games in for Paddy Mc and he has soaked up some valuable experience already. It still feels early days but there have been genuine moments of inspiration recently that give us all hope for the future. Paddy strikes me as a character who can successfully stick to a long term development plan. At times Paddy really looks like he is getting around the ground with a footballers brain thank goodness. Integrating speed, endurance,awareness & strength into one beautiful cocktail is a challenge that I think Paddy has the wherewithall & ability to realise.
Apparently Paddy has a winning character as well - good for him and I'm wishing him all the very best as he continues on his merry way.
Already looking forward to the next appearance in red, black & white. :D

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

MMM news announced before that 'today is the day that the football world has been waiting for for eighteen months. Today Melbourne unveils it's number two draft pick, Christian Petracca...'.

Are they singing the national anthem first?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Has anyone looked at the AFL website? Outrageous stuff. It says "HEY PETRACCA. This mob didnt want you."

This is entirely unfair and inflammatory. We just marginally picked another bloke. That is not the same thing as 'not wanting him'. We would have loved him but we only had one pick. Did we also not want Jordan De Goey? Did Melbourne not want De Goey either?

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

damienc wrote:I know what you are thinking. No I don't. No regrets whatsoever.Ok. Maybe one or two but McCartin is going to be a player for us. No doubt.

But.....he is going to take time. One season maybe two before he starts to live up to his number one draft pick status.

I just think it's interesting and ironic that the bloke we passed on is debuting against us.

Petracca's form in the twos has been sensational. He is ready to go.

Roos has handled him very well. He's a good coach Paul Roos.

But....having said no regrets and if it comes to pass that Petracca stars, sorry, I am going to be thinking what if?

I can be honest enough to still say, while I rate Paddy McCartin, very highly, if it was my decision I would have taken Petracca. I just would have. Just my opinion.

The kid has the X factor. He doesn't give up and doesn't take a backward step. I would have also taken Caleb Daniel over Jack Lonie. Again for the same reason.

Daniel had 30 touches against the Hawks and still managed to put Sam Mitchell out of business. We didn't have anyone who came close to doing that when we played the Hawks.Mitchell slaughtered us.

It's the attitude I admire. We need blokes who won't take a backward step. We don't have enough of them at the moment.

I'm afraid I wasn't a party to nor was I impressed with the orgy of self congratulation that followed our 'noble' three point loss to the reigning premiers. Big deal. Small reality check. They won. We didn't. A win is a win whether it's by a hundred or one. Or in our case three.

More importantly, when we get that close to taking out a good side we need to take that opportunity and again we didn't.

Last week against the Giants was very depressing. Back to good old days of not having a go. Richardson said we had too many passengers. He's right.

Our record, so far of one and four aint good. And if we go one and five and Petracca kills us I can't help but think what if?

I guess the point I am trying to make is that we need a better performance this week. The team needs to give us a reason to keep hoping. Keep dreaming. Let's all hope they can. And do.
Regardless of how Petracca goes, I've got one thing to say, good key forwards & good small forwards don't grow on trees. That's why we made the very appropriate & sensible decisions to draft McCartin & Lonie.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The real debate shouldnt be McCartin v Petracca it should be Acres v Petracca. Different draft years but BOTH THE SAME AGE.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Petracca should have kicked that goal. Will be a really good footballer.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Geesus the Petracca love on TV is nauseating. He had one good kick and the rest he's turned over. To paraphrase Tim Watson, "Everything he does is perfect". Clearly watching a different match.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Watching the game I'm bemused by the continued 'Petracca Orgasm' of the commentators (especially Zempilas)
I don't think I've ever seen/heard so much 'PR' about a #2 draft pick.

But then again, he is playing for the 'Media Darling Coach'.