Team v dogs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v dogs

Acres dropping is putrid. Let's hear all the crap excuses. I'm dumbfounded. Must be the missed practice game.

Sinclair, Dunstan.... Clearly favourites of the coach

Minchington should go elsewhere and get a game, he is wasting his time toying with inferior opponents in the VFL
His numbers suggest he's taking the piss... Now if he was a poor kick, I'd understand... But he's far from it

And Gresham

Like the kid... But seriously, if he's a better player at this stage than about 5 other small fwd mids at Stk/Sandy... I'm a monkey's uncle

Poor selection

Good luck to Roo
Hope he plays in the position he's dominated for 15 years and not getting cheap nothing (far from damaging) possession between HB and Wing... Whilst getting cut up by an actual midfielder opponent

1965 Saint
Club Player

They need to be careful or Acres will get fed up and want to come home to WA. Or maybe the club thinks/knows he's already decided that

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Gresh and Eli were probably the lucky selections for round 1, and Sinclair the unlucky one. Like most on here I'm surprised Acres got dropped, but not surprised to see Sinclair back.

As for Dunstan, I was at the game last week and actually took note where he lined up - almost every stoppage or centre bounce he was involved in he was on the defensive side of the contest. Stopped Port clearing the ball on numerous occasions by holding up players and stopping them running the ball out - forcing turnovers which gave our other mids the opportunity to clear. Once Port decided to put the ball on boot first rather than run it out of a stoppage restart in the 2nd half he was less effective - combined with the fact that Robbie Gray moved into the midfield. Stats didn't do justice to Dunstan's impact on the game. As for Gresh, I didn't watch him closely so can only assume he also did some good off the ball work because I thought he was lucky to hold his spot. PS, I like Gresh and think he will be a player but Gresh for Sinclair was the way I thought they'd go. With Eli out now I expect Roo will spend more time on the wing and Billings will spend more time in the midfield to cover Acres rotation. I hope Acres gets 30 possessions in the VFL this week and forces his way back in. We need more guys his size rotating through the middle.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Myron Gaines
Club Player

Zed wrote:Gresh and Eli were probably the lucky selections for round 1, and Sinclair the unlucky one. Like most on here I'm surprised Acres got dropped, but not surprised to see Sinclair back.

As for Dunstan, I was at the game last week and actually took note where he lined up - almost every stoppage or centre bounce he was involved in he was on the defensive side of the contest. Stopped Port clearing the ball on numerous occasions by holding up players and stopping them running the ball out - forcing turnovers which gave our other mids the opportunity to clear. Once Port decided to put the ball on boot first rather than run it out of a stoppage restart in the 2nd half he was less effective - combined with the fact that Robbie Gray moved into the midfield. Stats didn't do justice to Dunstan's impact on the game. As for Gresh, I didn't watch him closely so can only assume he also did some good off the ball work because I thought he was lucky to hold his spot. PS, I like Gresh and think he will be a player but Gresh for Sinclair was the way I thought they'd go. With Eli out now I expect Roo will spend more time on the wing and Billings will spend more time in the midfield to cover Acres rotation. I hope Acres gets 30 possessions in the VFL this week and forces his way back in. We need more guys his size rotating through the middle.

Some good points on Dunstan. He's played some nice games over his short career however he lacks natural talent & ability, is slow & average to good with his disposals. Going forward I see him play as our defensive-tagging midfielder.

longtimesaint
Club Player

1965 Saint wrote:They need to be careful or Acres will get fed up and want to come home to WA. Or maybe the club thinks/knows he's already decided that
Didn't he sign a long term contract as part of the big re-signing of the young players?

One year will be our year
Myron Gaines
Club Player

longtimesaint wrote:
1965 Saint wrote:They need to be careful or Acres will get fed up and want to come home to WA. Or maybe the club thinks/knows he's already decided that
Didn't he sign a long term contract as part of the big re-signing of the young players?
Yup. Signed up until the end of 2018.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

bigred wrote:Minchington... fkn seriously what does he need to do!

His performance last year in Sandringham's losing prelim side was nothing short of astounding. One of the best halves of clearance work you will ever see...at any level. He was that good.

37 touches, seven tackles and 2 goals. Along with something stupid like 14 clearances.

Now I reckon Sinclair is a beauty and really should be in the best 22, but Minch has much better scope in the middle as second string. No question.

If Minch gets similar numbers AGAIN against Port Melbourne this week then he must surely be breaking that door down. I honestly think he will cement a spot in the seniors this year.

I was really looking forward to him getting a go...
This

You are garbage - Enough said
spert
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Minch let the coach's tyres down in the carpark, or sprayed graffiti on the walls at Seaford- or fare evaded on his way to training? Can't see any other reason not to give him a game or have him as an emergency..maybe if he gets 70 disposals and kicks 15 goals, then he might get looked at. Seriously Richo..what gives..we lost our first match by 5 goals, it wasn't a 10 goal victory. Possibly kicks the ball too well, and the coaches seem to like ball butcherers.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

That selection report vid they do they basically just go through and list some of the team and throw in some "he played well for us last week". What would be great if they said why they are omitting players. I understand there is stuff that is only for the player himself but you could give a very basic reason "Needs to work on defense", "We think he might struggle to back up". "Needs to get more of the ball" etc.

Half supporters reactions to the teams announcement is "why did they drop him?". It would stop some of the rumours and discontentment if we were provided with a very basic reason.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

"Yeah we just found that Minch's 52 kicks, 15 tackles, 12 clearances and 4 goals were largely ineffective, he needs to work on 'being in richo's plans' same goes for Tom Lee who we have no plans on playing baring a plane going down carrying all of the senior players."

8-)

dragit
Saintsational Legend

"Blake played his best game for the club and really was a catalyst in our third quarter surge against port, we're just concerned that he might get some continuity and develop into a good player at AFL level, so we're sending him back to Sandy so he can question his future at the club."

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:"Yeah we just found that Minch's 52 kicks, 15 tackles, 12 clearances and 4 goals were largely ineffective, he needs to work on 'being in richo's plans' same goes for Tom Lee who we have no plans on playing baring a plane going down carrying all of the senior players."

8-)
:lol: That selection report thing provides no insight. WE can all see the selected team. The club has been great with meaningful communication. Is it that hard if they just give a little "We've left Blake out this week as we're being cautious with his earlier injuries and he had a hard running game last week with only 6 day turn around. Eli used it well but we want him to find a bit more of the footy". That would cut so much fan bitching off at the pass. If someone rings Richo up on Fri and asks about them Richo will give an honest brief answer so I don't understand why they don't explain it in the selection report.

Jesus last week they showed Joey talking in some detail about game plan. I don't see why this is so confidential when its one of the main things fans want to know each week - why is this dude out? We know players have different areas to get better in - let us go on a journey with them by letting us know what they need to work on.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Far out...the panic on here! First thoughts when I saw the in's and out's last night:

> Templeton out a no brainer
> Sinclair in for pace and runs already on the board
> Arces probably sore
> Paddy underdone as a result of pre-season, surely another week off if serious?
> Arces, if not sore, a late switch for Paddy
> Minch shows good for in a VFL practice match, does the club rate it?

All will be revealed in time.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:"Blake played his best game for the club and really was a catalyst in our third quarter surge against port, we're just concerned that he might get some continuity and develop into a good player at AFL level, so we're sending him back to Sandy so he can question his future at the club."
Yes, it's puzzling. He made a few errors that might have counted against him, maybe. But hell, at least he can get where the ball is.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think it's time to panic- Richo and co have lost the plot, but if we win against the cocky Dogs then I will totally agree with the team selections

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Jesus f****** christ is minch in the bad books?
Must be off out getting shitfaced every weekend

Im guessing we trying to stretch their defence with paddy coming in...reckon they might run us off our feet
But you never know, look at last years game

Might get flamed for this opinion but it would not bother me if we traded dunstan back home
Im not saying he is a bad player...just that im not convinced he is going to be a gun

Myron Gaines
Club Player

matrix wrote:Jesus f****** christ is minch in the bad books?

Im guessing we trying to stretch their defence with paddy coming in...reckon they might run us off our feet

Might get flamed for this opinion but it would not bother me if we traded dunstan back home
Im not saying he is a bad player...just that im not convinced he is going to be a gun
Agree re Dunstan. But he's got Lenny's number...

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Was thinking the same thing as i was posting.
Im just not sold yet

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan's 21 and has played 36 games...surely he can't improve? He's the new Kosi, put him out to pasture!

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

I'm going down to Willi tomorrow to watch Sandy play. Will keep a close eye on meatball and report back.

Anyone else want me to keep an eye on anyone. I'll be watching DMAC, Lee and Goddard so I might hang down the backline

You are garbage - Enough said
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

I'm going down to Willi tomorrow to watch Sandy play. Will keep a close eye on meatball and report back.

Anyone else want me to keep an eye on anyone. I'll be watching DMAC, Lee and Goddard so I might hang down the backline
Drink a shot of vodka for every meatball possession… then get all up in the grill of the coaches box about how he & Acres should be in the seniors.
Cheers

the dome
Club Player

S A I N T S v's B U L L D O G

After last years ' very entertaining encounters against this young and obviously talented team that finished much higher than many would have thought it could be another thriller once again.
Glad that Paddy is getting another chance early on in season 2016.
last week it was satisfying to see Blake make some good inroads, hope Paddy has a good day as well.

Wishing our young team all the best against a young up-coming team that could well have a long-term rivalry with us Sainters in the next few years.
Should't forget the Blues either who might jump in front of them as significant rivals for us.
Potentially lots of intense home team encounters for these three teams playing out of The Dome. :D

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
Not sure I'd call it a "bad error", Bluthy. The young fella might well deserve a chance to have a second game back closer to home. Based on reports of the PA supporters remaining wholly feral, and the fact it was the kid's 1st game, he may have actually done enough to warrant another go in the minds of those who decide these things.

The Acres thing is a little perplexing though - "soreness", I hope.
o

I didn't think Gresham should have been played last week Thommo. He had only played half a game and then you throw him into his first senior AFL game away against a possible top four team? We were basically a rotation down because of him. And now against the super fast dogs when he only has 6 days to recover? its borderline crazy.

I have no doubt Richo pushed hard for the Carlisle trade due to his connection with Jake at Bombers. As part of selling that trade he may have pushed for Jade as bargain. Thats fine - our recruiting has been good with Richo so whatever his level of influence its seems to be working well. But you couldn't wipe the grin off Richo's face when he told Jade he was playing AFL. I think Jade is his little protege. Again that may work out long term but I think its comprising our ability to run with the dogs this week and we may well get a toweling.
Don't disagree with the 1st mention, Bluthy but, given he did, I think there is some logic in giving him a second game (not saying overwhelming logic, just some). I'm also more confident about passing comment on how someone has performed when I've watched the game live. I tend to spend a fair bit of time looking forward of and behind the ball, rather than at the ball all the time. Watching on telly is not the same (exacerbated by watching with a few compadres and a beer in hand, while being distracted by how the lamb's progressing on the Weber).

I'm also not sure we'd beat the Dogs by trying to match them speed for speed, player for player. I'm a fan of a little differentiation from the opponent, if only to give them something to think about (and I think that might be one reason Paddy comes back - they're not really that big down back, and Paddy does have more than one string to concern opponents).

But, on the match up, last year's 2 games suggested we can compete with them. That just happens sometimes b/w some clubs, for whatever reason.

And, I think you're probably right on the Gresham kiddie being well regarded by Richardson. I've actually been a little surprised at Richardson's apparent leanings to some players - I thought he may be a little more 'relaxed' about letting players' performances do the talking, rather than seemingly marking a few cards.

I also think we're a chance tomorrow night. I thought the same last week, despite my compadres doubts. I do tend to the optimistic, but never ridiculously so ('if this goes right for us, and that doesn't for them', kinda thing - I do like to argue a case!!). I just think we're developing OK - whether that translates into ladder position, I'll have to wait and see.

But, generally relaxed about the direction and progress, me.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

And a P.S. I also don't place much store in VFL practice match form. "Getting through the game" is about as far as I'd go.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021