Jarryn Geary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jarryn Geary

Gears is under-rated.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:I reckon our bottom 6 are better than Geary
If true, that'd make them our bottom seven though. :idea:
But in my world, Geary is playing for Sandy and maybe in 2017 he can captain StKilda seconds. The selectors will wake up one day and realise he is too poorly skilled for the firsts. I certainly don't hate him, whatever that could mean for a guy I've never met. Some of his attributes are undeniably good. Problem is he's a liability with the ball.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Haters gunna hate

You are garbage - Enough said
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:I reckon our bottom 6 are better than Geary
If true, that'd make them our bottom seven though. :idea:
But in my world, Geary is playing for Sandy and maybe in 2017 he can captain StKilda seconds. The selectors will wake up one day and realise he is too poorly skilled for the firsts. I certainly don't hate him, whatever that could mean for a guy I've never met. Some of his attributes are undeniably good. Problem is he's a liability with the ball.
Speaking of liabilities....

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Do you think he will learn to kick in another 3 years?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'll put it another way, if Geary is still getting a game in 2018 it means McKenzie, Rice, White haven't worked out.

ripplug66
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I'll put it another way, if Geary is still getting a game in 2018 it means McKenzie, Rice, White haven't worked out.

What if they are all mids by then and he is still playing back? And you are right. One or two probably wont make it out of that group.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He's only underrated by ignorant supporters.

Where did he finish in the B&F again??? 3 years is a good thing, he's important.

#gosaintas
Club Player

I think I overrate him.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He's only underrated by ignorant supporters.

Where did he finish in the B&F again??? 3 years is a good thing, he's important.
Where did he finish?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He's only underrated by ignorant supporters.

Arghhh So B & F finish are important then hey. I think so too. On that score Gears has done very well.

He's a true warrior no doubts. But I am kind of hoping our young kids are guns by 2018 - thats all.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I'll put it another way, if Geary is still getting a game in 2018 it means McKenzie, Rice, White haven't worked out.

What if they are all mids by then and he is still playing back? And you are right. One or two probably wont make it out of that group.
Then you have Savage, Newnes and Webster as well.

So if 2/3 of White/Rice/McKenzie work out then Geary doesnt get a game in 2018. If none or 1 does - Geary still probably gets a game in 2018.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

They do suggest that a player is either good or bad based on what the coaches view as actual performance, rather than perceived performance...

There is more factors, like how many games a player played... Injury interruption etc... But Geary would be one of the first 8 picked imo and would rate inside the top 12

Nick, Jack, Armo, Sean, Joey, Bruce would be the best 6 imo
Gilbert, Fisher, Billings, Newnes, Geary, Roberton in the next group
Ross, Savage, Dunstan, Longer, Membrey, Weller are still Cementing or consolidating their spot
On the rise imo
McCartin, Goddard, Mckenzie, Sinclair, Lonie showed a lot to me to suggest they'll be players

Others have work to do

ripplug66
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

Then you have Savage, Newnes and Webster as well.

So if 2/3 of White/Rice/McKenzie work out then Geary doesnt get a game in 2018. If none or 1 does - Geary still probably gets a game in 2018.

Depends where they are playing. They could potentially be all mids as well as a couple not making it. Id rather Geary's poor kicking in the backline than Savage's good kicking.

The Barometer
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
millarsaint wrote:you're not a hater just because you don't rate someone. I think his ball use is a fail but love the way he goes about it and the way he leads.
true that, but you haven't read the constant barrage of hate towards Geary from this supposed Saints supporter. Never any facts to back it up, just constant incessant abuse and vitriol towards him.

He is definitely a hater
Except for the fact that he can't kick.

Harves Man
Club Player

Geary is a great ball getter. Very happy that we have secured him for the next few years. In my opinion, he would be a very dangerous player playing for Hawthorn, in a final, against us!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Harves Man wrote:Geary is a great ball getter. Very happy that we have secured him for the next few years. In my opinion, he would be a very dangerous player playing for Hawthorn, in a final, against us!
He would be the least of our worries and would not get a game in the Hawthorn side.

To the top
SS Life Member

At Hawthorn, with 3 successive premierships, you have Hodge playing the football he does and distributing (including pushing forward and kicking goals) and covering from a defensive position.

At St Kilda, with 3 successive lower order finishes, you have Geary playing in that same defensive position.

When Geary pushes forward to the 50 metre arc, taking a mark or winning the ball, how many are confident that he will kick the "clutch" goal?

Expand that to how many have any confidence that Geary is going to do damage with the ball when he has it - instead of "coughing" it up as he continually does?

Geary is manic, not organised and calculating to the benefit of the side (he takes out his own team mates going back to spoil) plus his disposal is a very, very long way short of AFL required standard (both by hand and with his 40 metre, lobbing kicks which miss the mark).

We have to move Geary on before we are a real contender.

No doubt honest, but not a premiership footballer by a long, long way.

Not a Geary "hater", just cringe whenever he is near the contest because you know what is going to happen next.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Also the opposition just zone off him, forcing us to use him in the knowledge that he'll just give it back to them or put us under pressure. Same problem when Gilbert is playing back. There is no room in the backline for a player that can't kick or handball, regardless of how brave he is.

ripplug66
Club Player

To the top wrote:At Hawthorn, with 3 successive premierships, you have Hodge playing the football he does and distributing (including pushing forward and kicking goals) and covering from a defensive position.

At St Kilda, with 3 successive lower order finishes, you have Geary playing in that same defensive position.

When Geary pushes forward to the 50 metre arc, taking a mark or winning the ball, how many are confident that he will kick the "clutch" goal?

Expand that to how many have any confidence that Geary is going to do damage with the ball when he has it - instead of "coughing" it up as he continually does?

Geary is manic, not organised and calculating to the benefit of the side (he takes out his own team mates going back to spoil) plus his disposal is a very, very long way short of AFL required standard (both by hand and with his 40 metre, lobbing kicks which miss the mark).

Not a Geary "hater", just cringe whenever he is near the contest because you know what is going to happen next.
Are you really comparing Hodge and geary to try and justify why Geary isn't good enough? There would be worse players than Geary that have played in winning GF sides but you pick one of the greatest captains for years to try and say geary isn't good enough. Seriously what steps will people do to try and prove something.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Three least skilled VFL/AFL captains I remember:
G.Colling
R.Vandenberg
N. Maxwell

all slightly more skilled than Geary.
Disposal on a par with Clint Jones but at least Clint normally ran forward before bombing it upwards and forwards, Geary normally runs around in a circle like a headless chook before turning it over!Great competitor but needs to be overtaken by young guys if we are going to go anywhere.
As for captaincy we may as well get Mike Brearly out of retirement!

To the top
SS Life Member

Does "plug66" refer to one A Lockett AND that St Kilda's ONLY premiership win was 1966?

Therein lies the response - average begets average.

Despite having absolutely great players such as A Lockett we had/have too many average players hence the facts on the history of St Kilda.

When we played off in Grand Finals over recent years, we have just had far too many average players and that cost us Premierships.

Learn the lesson!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If Geary is still in the side in 2018 then we are stuffed because it means this generation of youngsters arent that good and our recruitment drive will have failed.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
To the top wrote:At Hawthorn, with 3 successive premierships, you have Hodge playing the football he does and distributing (including pushing forward and kicking goals) and covering from a defensive position.

Are you really comparing Hodge and geary to try and justify why Geary isn't good enough? There would be worse players than Geary that have played in winning GF sides but you pick one of the greatest captains for years to try and say geary isn't good enough. Seriously what steps will people do to try and prove something.
Fair enough. So lets compare Geary with arguably Hawthorn's worst premiership player - Matt Suckling.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... 1=C&fid2=C

Similar number of games/Identical age. Suckling has more than twice as many goals, averages 25% more disposals. Fair to say if Clarko was picking his GF 22 he would likely pick Suckling ahead of Geary. Geary does more tackles though so maybe we can call them a 50:50.

As for Gilbert - well I have now statistical proof about his disposal.

At his peak from 2010-2012 Gilbo played 70 games and averaged 73% DE.

In 2013 he played 9 games but averaged an incredible 83% DE.

In the last two seasons (14-15) he played 17 games and has averaged only 65% DE.

This is a startling drop off in anyones book and provides undisputed proof in support of those who complain about Gilbert's disposal. This dramatic drop off seems inexplicable.

This ridicules claims that Gilbo is a 'gun' or a 'star' or 'under-rated'. If you said Gilbo WAS a star or a gun then I would agree. He was.

(nb: Grant Birchall averaged 85% DE in his 22 games in 2015. His career average is 82% and he hasnt had a year below 80% DE in the 6 years 2010-2015)
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 10 Dec 2015 11:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

ripplug66
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

Fair enough. So lets compare Geary with arguably Hawthorn's worst premiership player - Matt Suckling.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... 1=C&fid2=C

Similar number of games/Identical age. Suckling has more than twice as many goals, averages 25% more disposals. Fair to say if Clarko was picking his GF 22 he would likely pick Suckling ahead of Geary. Geary does more tackles though so maybe we can call them a 50:50.

As for Gilbert - well I have now statistical proof about his disposal.

At his peak from 2010-2012 Gilbo played 70 games and averaged 73% DE.

In 2013 he played 9 games but averaged an incredible 83% DE.

In the last two seasons (14-15) he played 17 games and has averaged only 65% DE.

This is a startling drop off in anyones book and provides undisputed proof in support of those who complain about Gilbert's disposal. This dramatic drop off seems inexplicable.

No idea what Gilbert has to do with this but that's ok. As for Geary why are we comparing him to any hawthorn player? If anyone thinks we are winning a flag by 2018 then they need help. We may not make a GF for 3, 10 or 20 years but Geary wont be the reason. Gear is signed until 2018. By then he may or may not need replacing. As for TTT I cant see why he mentioned Lockett when we are talking about a GOP. Don't see the similarities at all.