Tom Lynch, the one that got away

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

elizabethr
Club Player

Re: Tom Lynch, the one that got away

Oh that Tom Lynch

nothing to say
On the Bench
Club Player
Location: Perth. Where Foxtel has now allowed me to watch my beloved Saints each week.

Rossy had his favourites in those days.
Tom Lynch wasn't playing brilliantly, but he said Ross only spoke to him 3 times when he was at the club. He felt it was time for a clean break even though Ross had gone.
It has worked out well for both parties.

I am still hurting from 71;
my gut churns thinking of 97;
2009 was agony,
2010a was a pleasure to watch only to be devastated by 2010 b.
It hurts barracking for the Saints
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

On one of those Fox Re- Drafting exercises Jack Newnes at Pick 37 has been re-rated to Pick 14.

Not a definitive view of course, but Jack has been consistent and improving. The trade has worked out.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:On one of those Fox Re- Drafting exercises Jack Newnes at Pick 37 has been re-rated to Pick 14.

Not a definitive view of course, but Jack has been consistent and improving. The trade has worked out.
A solid player who will hopefully keep getting better. But one of the very few out of about 4 drafts that has worked out.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
hayes66
Club Player

ripplug66 wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:He played his first game on Dustin Fletcher who really turned him outside out that night. Didn't play again for ages and it wrecked his confidence.

Those first 2 statements about his footy are completely incorrect. People read that and say what were the Saints thinking. I think if people want to say stuff like that it would be good to get the facts right. There are more incorrect statements as well but the first 2 are clearly incorrect.
Look do we have to keep rehashing this?

Firstly his first game was against Essendon and Dustin Fletcher flogged him. If he did lose confidence then that shows a weakness mentally.

Secondly if we start saying, Lynch, McEvoy, Steven, Stanley, Cripps, Hutchings and even Dawson are OK players then the myth, .....l mean fact that 07-10 was crap will become a myth!!
We all know Peake and his crew were s$&@!!!!
I read it in inside footy. So it has to be true.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

And he might be a premiership ruckman

ripplug66
Club Player

Who?

hayes66
Club Player

BigMart wrote:And he might be a premiership ruckman
No I don't think that. Most people on here think he is KP player and that's another bone of contention. Why draft a KP when we already had Kosi and Roo?
You only have to look at the 09 & 010 Grand Final. Dempster played that role. He is a back men and in the next Grand Final Eddy.
Why draft Lynch as a KP?
Incompetent again by the recruiters.

hayes66
Club Player

The simple fact is 07-010 "where the lost years". That is a direct quote from Champion data. Those fella's know their stuff.
You only had to read the Herald Suns redo of the 07 & 08 drafts to see how badly we performed.
McEvoy dropped to fifteen. Ouch!! Lynch from 13 to 20. How bad is that? Stanley 20 plus. After being taken early. Steven not sure he was even mentioned. That's poor return on four players.

ripplug66
Club Player

Love the rehashing. Didn't know a 4 year period of drafting was all about 4 players but keep going. Its fun. Just wondering about Crocker, ledger and Siposs. yep that's 3 in the one year. I suppose one very good player in a 4 year period is good drafting but only if you want to finish near the bottom every year.

hayes66
Club Player

ripplug66 wrote:Love the rehashing. Didn't know a 4 year period of drafting was all about 4 players but keep going. Its fun. Just wondering about Crocker, ledger and Siposs. yep that's 3 in the one year.
Absolutely agree. Four players in two years is not good enough. Look what we have done since. In one year Billings, Goddard and McKenzie beats any of 07 & 08. You can go on Newnes, Ross and Webster. Even this year with Gresham, White and Rice. They will all do more than the other lot. Back it in!!

ripplug66
Club Player

hayes66 wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:Love the rehashing. Didn't know a 4 year period of drafting was all about 4 players but keep going. Its fun. Just wondering about Crocker, ledger and Siposs. yep that's 3 in the one year.
Absolutely agree. Four players in two years is not good enough. Look what we have done since. In one year Billings, Goddard and McKenzie beats any of 07 & 08. You can go on Newnes, Ross and Webster. Even this year with Gresham, White and Rice. They will all do more than the other lot. Back it in!!
Ok then.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Tom Who?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Rhys Stanley is very much a chance to be a premiership ruckman.... Geelong don't have the best list in the AFL....
But their best 22 is as good as anyone's imo

But hopefully Goddard gives us good value as a replacement

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Rhys Stanley is very much a chance to be a premiership ruckman.... Geelong don't have the best list in the AFL....

joeyjohnw
Club Player

hayes66 wrote:The simple fact is 07-010 "where the lost years". That is a direct quote from Champion data. Those fella's know their stuff.
You only had to read the Herald Suns redo of the 07 & 08 drafts to see how badly we performed.
McEvoy dropped to fifteen. Ouch!! Lynch from 13 to 20. How bad is that? Stanley 20 plus. After being taken early. Steven not sure he was even mentioned. That's poor return on four players.
Wouldn't be too distraught about those first two dropping a few picks down the order in a redo draft. Stanley was a smokey- went in the 40s. And if the herald sun didn't even mention jack Steven in their refo draft I can confidently say they are incredibly daft. Dual best and fairest at 25 says he was a pretty good pickup.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Very average still I reckon.

With Walker and Betts in that forward line, he really does have the dream role for an AFL footballer - yet still only performs it at a very mediocre level if you ask me.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I was surprised we let Lynch go- an obvious slow-developing bigger KPP who will be a useful player for the Crows and probably would have been for us. The jury is out on Newnes for me anyway- seems to have all the right stuff, but I thought this season past that he would have done a bit better and seemed to lack a bit of tank when needed, so in 2016 I really want to see him step up along with few others and realise their potential.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

average footballer.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Plug

You used to defend the drafting and development in the Lyon years?

Has your viewpoint changed now??

Easy to criticise after the fact isn't it?....

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Much prefer having Membrey in our lineup to be honest. Tough and a huge competitor...I reckon he'll be a much better player than Lynch when both of their careers are done & dusted.

We've made out like bandits getting Newnes for Lynch IMO.

ripplug66
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Plug

You used to defend the drafting and development in the Lyon years?

Has your viewpoint changed now??

Easy to criticise after the fact isn't it?....

I don't think you will find one post where I defended it. Not one. If anything I said it was poor for more than the RL years. What I defended was people saying this player is no good before they have played a game. I could use an example but it has been done to death. Or statements about who they would have played in GS sides even though posts show they didn't suggest that at the time. Happy for you to use an example of your completely incorrect comment. And I don't criticize after the event but again happy you to show an example. If I do I would say its hindsight. Unlike some on here I happy to be wrong.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Rhys Stanley is very much a chance to be a premiership ruckman.... Geelong don't have the best list in the AFL....

Nup - Stanley showed in 2015 exactly why we let him go - he is a rare talent, but keeps getting injured. He won't be able to play a full season out including finals. Geelong know this and that is why they recruited Zac Smith. They have Mitch Clark too.
But I agree that Geelong will be right up there again in 2016. They stil have a very handy list and have been able to add the best midfielder in the AFL, a very good tagger, a swingman in Henderson, and Smith to bolster their ruck stocks. If I barracked for Geelong I would be bullish about their prospects of a top 4 finish in 2016.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:What draft pick was Tommy Walsh? And what did we get for him?

Stanley?
I'm pretty sure it was Markworth at pick 35. Who incidentally was chosen two picks ahead of Newnes and seven ahead of Webster. That same draft Longer went at eight to the Lions, and we got Rossy at 25, and selected Beau Maister at 68 (who was brought in to effectively fill the Walsh vacancy).

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches