Round 22 Adam Goodes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 22 Adam Goodes

RODOS wrote:There have always been players that just get booed no matter what. Riewoldt used to get booed a lot even up to a few years ago (until everyone accepted him for the champion he is).

Although the booing of adam goodes could have started from that indiscriminate booing of a good opposition player, it's moved into a whole other cluster F*** of reasons.

Racism
Bullying
Booing him because he's a good player
Because everyone else is
Because he's a cheap player/sniper
etc

It's ugly, it's the pack mentality on show, to the point it can't be ignored. I can't pretend I like Goodes, but I've been trained (rightfully so) to dislike almost any player that isn't a saint. But for the people that straight out hate him and dislike his political agenda, I think there's a lack of empathy there for indigenous people in general. They've been through a hell of a lot, and are still doing so today.

Oh and in regards to the term australia day. If my people were on the receiving end of genocide i'd probably struggle not to rain on parades and call it invasion day also.

We aren't seriously suggesting other players have been booed like Goodes. There are many reasons for this and now I think the stupid herd mentality has taken over but there is no doubt one of the reasons is racism. It certainly wasn't his fault he was Australian of the year and it certainly wasn't his fault he was called a gorilla. Could he have handled it better? Probably but it is enough for those with racist feeling in their body to have a reason to boo him.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps he will get his cheers on grand final day when he is driven around the ground with all the other retirees.

I am sure there will be no booing that day.

As for round 22, I choose not to boo anyone. But that is just me. I don't think anyone who boos is an idiot either.

Its the footy. It can bring out the best and worst in people. Half the time the crowd is so loud I don't know who is being booed and who
is being cheered. And aren't we constantly told to "make some noise"

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:Perhaps he will get his cheers on grand final day when he is driven around the ground with all the other retirees.

As for round 22, I choose not to boo anyone. But that is just me. I don't think anyone who boos is an idiot either.

Its the footy. It can bring out the best and worst in people. Half the time the crowd is so loud I don't know who is being booed and who

Unfortunately I think he will be booed GF day and that would be a shocking look. Im sure others will cheer to drown out the herd who boo.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

On GF day there are more refined people at the game so I'm not expecting much booing.

I hope he's in the parade. It would mean Sydney aren't in the GF and he's retired already. That's two big positives!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Winmar7
Club Player

To all those who think Adam Goodes 'bullied' the 13/14 year old girl, how about you direct your anger towards her parents, who could not raise her by that age to know that calling a black man an 'ape' is offensive, I certainly knew that at 13/14 and would expect most others to... though clearly Eddie McGuire took a long time to learn it.

I really hope that St Kilda fans will be better than to boo Goodes in Round 22, which could possibly be his last game in Melbourne. Let's cheer him instead and drown out the boos.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Telling stupid drunk people not to boo...I wonder what will happen?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
mullet
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mullet wrote:Perhaps he will get his cheers on grand final day when he is driven around the ground with all the other retirees.

Unfortunately I think he will be booed GF day and that would be a shocking look. Im sure others will cheer to drown out the herd who boo.
Just wondering why you think he will be booed Plugger. I don't think anyone retiring has ever been booed. Some get a louder cheer than others, but don't think there
has ever been booing. I could be wrong.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:On GF day there are more refined people at the game so I'm not expecting much booing.

I hope he's in the parade. It would mean Sydney aren't in the GF and he's retired already. That's two big positives!

I think Milney was expecting booing.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:On GF day there are more refined people at the game so I'm not expecting much booing.

I'm not sure they are more refined. A lot more just go because it is a social occasion. Doesn't make them more refined.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I'm with the OP. Let's be the supporters who can exercise some decorum and not boo Adam Goodes. I honestly don't see any reason for us to give him the raspberry him in the first place. Has he ever played dirty against us or spoken poorly of our club?

Let's think about our Idigenous players from past who copped it from all angles e.g. Nicky Winmar and Robbie Muir, and show that we are supporters who won't resort to being boneheads.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:i always thought booing was for 2 things:
1. a player just left your club and is now the opposition... booing is mandatory for a season or 2
Unless of course there is good will during the club change, e.g. I never saw a need to boo Dal santo
2. A player does something on the field on a particular day, they can be booed for the rest of the game

Now, Goodes does not fit in to 1.
So, unless he gives someone a backhander behind play, then there is just no justification in booing

The whole thing smells of racism to me... one mob starts booing and then every mob starts booing.. .each individual claims they are not booing for racist reasons.. but the fact is, racism is a mob mentality
Yep good call.
Those two categories for booing seem to be the traditional ones that should stay.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Just wondering why you think he will be booed Plugger. I don't think anyone retiring has ever been booed. Some get a louder cheer than others, but don't think there
has ever been booing. I could be wrong.

Im 99% sure Milney didn't attend because he thought he would be booed. Im sure Goodes will be but others will cheer to try and drown out the fools.

Locals322
Club Player

I will loudly and proudly BOO Goodes.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Locals322 wrote:I will loudly and proudly BOO Goodes.

Would you do it when they celebrate their career on a GF day? And you must feel so proud booing him. Its such a great thing to be proud of. Im proud of things like my daughter and the way the footy club is improving. Strange to be proud of such negativity.
Last edited by plugger66 on Tue 28 Jul 2015 1:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Locals322 wrote:I will loudly and proudly BOO Goodes.
Why?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I dont see people boo when Tim Cahill does his boxing of the flag after each goal.
But with Goodesy - a mildly political black man - well people just cannot cope with it.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

imagine if he drove around the G on GF day and it was dead silent

:shock:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
1. a player just left your club and is now the opposition... booing is mandatory for a season or 2
Unless of course there is good will during the club change, e.g. I never saw a need to boo Dal santo
2. A player does something on the field on a particular day, they can be booed for the rest of the game

So, unless he gives someone a backhander behind play, then there is just no justification in booing

The whole thing smells of racism to me... one mob starts booing and then every mob starts booing.. .each individual claims they are not booing for racist reasons.. but the fact is, racism is a mob mentality
Yep good call.
Those two categories for booing seem to be the traditional ones that should stay.
Yep plus one on that. A player gone for cash or a hit almost has to accept that as part of the theatre of footy but as soon as it steps outside those it gets a bit ugly. And anything that could be even taken as racist should be a very obvious no go.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I dont see people boo when Tim Cahill does his boxing of the flag after each goal.
But with Goodesy - a mildly political black man - well people just cannot cope with it.
Why can't you cope with it?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
RODOS wrote:There have always been players that just get booed no matter what. Riewoldt used to get booed a lot even up to a few years ago (until everyone accepted him for the champion he is).

Although the booing of adam goodes could have started from that indiscriminate booing of a good opposition player, it's moved into a whole other cluster F*** of reasons.

Racism
Bullying
Because everyone else is
etc

It's ugly, it's the pack mentality on show, to the point it can't be ignored. I can't pretend I like Goodes, but I've been trained (rightfully so) to dislike almost any player that isn't a saint. But for the people that straight out hate him and dislike his political agenda, I think there's a lack of empathy there for indigenous people in general. They've been through a hell of a lot, and are still doing so today.

Oh and in regards to the term australia day. If my people were on the receiving end of genocide i'd probably struggle not to rain on parades and call it invasion day also.

We aren't seriously suggesting other players have been booed like Goodes. There are many reasons for this and now I think the stupid herd mentality has taken over but there is no doubt one of the reasons is racism. It certainly wasn't his fault he was Australian of the year and it certainly wasn't his fault he was called a gorilla. Could he have handled it better? Probably but it is enough for those with racist feeling in their body to have a reason to boo him.
Never heard that he was called a gorilla before. Is that a news scoop Some other uninformed poster suggested earlier that he was called a monkey. Wrong again. You gotta wish people that want to sprout off their knowledge, would get their facts right first.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Racism
Bullying
Because everyone else is
etc

Never heard that he was called a gorilla before. Is that a news scoop Some other uninformed poster suggested earlier that he was called a monkey. Wrong again. You gotta wish people that want to sprout off their knowledge, would get their facts right first.
During a promotion for 'King Kong the musical', Eddie said something like, "I wonder if Goodesy will be coming down for it."

So in fact he was called a gorrila. Lets not pretend otherwise.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Racism
Bullying
Because everyone else is
etc

Well Eddie suggested he was a gorilla or ape with his king kong reference. If you were southern european and some teenager was calling you a w#@ you would retaliate and point it out, an Asian getting called derogatory names, a jew etc. why the $#@% wouldn't you call them out on it. Does he need to ask for a f$#@ing birth certificate to see if she's eligible for pointing out? Eddie went on a campaign to make Collingwood look less backwards by pointing out she was under age but what the f$#@ was her parents doing when she was saying it.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Yep good call.
What about - 3. Great opposition players who have inflicted much pain over the years, who are also seen as nasty, cheap, protected, figjams... who don't belong to a minority, of course.

And what would happen to a 3. if they did a war dance, complained about the booing, and labelled those booing as ignorant?

I don't boo anyone (except biased umpires) and don't really care for it (except against biased umpires), but as Satchmo pointed out, good luck trying to stop it.

But hey, a disengeuous campaign labelling all the booing as racist is the easiest way to try stamp it out.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Yep good call.
What about - 3. Great opposition players who have inflicted much pain over the years, who are also seen as nasty, cheap, protected, figjams... who don't belong to a minority, of course.

And what would happen to a 3. if they did a war dance, complained about the booing, and labelled those booing as ignorant?

I don't boo anyone (except biased umpires) and don't really care for it (except against biased umpires), but as Satchmo pointed out, good luck trying to stop it.

But hey, a disengeuous campaign labelling all the booing as racist is the easiest way to try stamp it out.
Hooray! Power to the racist f*ckhead! Yay.
Cop that AFL! Dont try and stop us!

Racists UNITE - WE HAVE THE RIGHT.

Come on chant it together!
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 28 Jul 2015 3:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Winmar7 wrote:To all those who think Adam Goodes 'bullied' the 13/14 year old girl, how about you direct your anger towards her parents, who could not raise her by that age to know that calling a black man an 'ape' is offensive, I certainly knew that at 13/14 and would expect most others to... though clearly Eddie McGuire took a long time to learn it.

I really hope that St Kilda fans will be better than to boo Goodes in Round 22, which could possibly be his last game in Melbourne. Let's cheer him instead and drown out the boos.

Yes she was ignorant, and also she is from a one parent family.

The term big ape to an aboriginal certainly has racist connotations, and nobody in their right mind is disputing Adam Goodes had the right to point out this racism. In fact it should be encouraged. We don't need that type of thing at football.

She certainly didn't know that calling him that was racist, and she more certainly didn't call him a black ape, which would have confirmed to me she understood perfectly what she was saying was racist.

Goodes did not know her age on the night. What offends me is that when he made his grand political statement of "the face of racism is a 13.yo. girl" he knew damned well her age.

He chose to demonise and vilify her for his own political advantage. Now you can make excuses for him and point the blame at others but AFAIAC he knowingly bullied the girl for self serving political purposes.

He even acknowledged that the kid probably didn't know what she was saying and need education. I agree with this, racism is not on.

But either is abuse and bullying of children.

You are garbage - Enough said