Whats the difference between us and Collingwood?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Whats the difference between us and Collingwood?

Darth Vader wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I would be more worried about the WB and why they are better than us than the pies.
Probably because they started their rebuild 2 years before us, so they're 2 years ahead of us. And given that we split both games this year and margins were 7 points and 6 points, I wouldn't have thought they're that much better.

Maybe true but they had a much younger side in against us last week. They had 5 teenagers to our one. That doesn't show they are 2 years ahead in the rebuild. And I don't care what the margins were. They have won 8 games this year. We may have 4 or 5 wins at the same stage.

lewdogs
Club Player

We should be on more wins. Have lost a lot of close ones. Loomed miles better than the Dogs in our last game too.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood- Bobby Rose 3 GF's 3 losses
US- Messiah lyon 3gf's 2 losses and a draw!

Now if Richardson can be our Tommy Hafey!!
OOPS, I meant Leigh Matthews.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The Pies started their rebuild after the 2011 grand final. Since then they have shown faith in their younger players getting games into them and now they are reaping the rewards. We are playing the old farts and delaying the development of kids like Templeton, Mckenzie, Goddard and McCartin who are being played on suburban fields.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

"If it's the right thing by the team to bring in a young player, it will be because that young player has earned his position," Richardson said.

"We just can't throw our young blokes in because they're young."

lewdogs
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:The Pies started their rebuild after the 2011 grand final. Since then they have shown faith in their younger players getting games into them and now they are reaping the rewards. We are playing the old farts and delaying the development of kids like Templeton, Mckenzie, Goddard and McCartin who are being played on suburban fields.
McCartin has been coming along superbly. Don't think his development would be as good in the AFL; giving him the chance to work his way into games as the number one forward is great. Ditto Hugh, who is able to experience different positions.

McKenzie and Eli would be close to forcing their way in to the side for the likes of Ray, which is promising.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Collingwood- Bobby Rose 3 GF's 3 losses
US- Messiah lyon 3gf's 2 losses and a draw!

Now if Richardson can be our Tommy Hafey!!
OOPS, I meant Leigh Matthews.

Who has ever called Lyon the messiah apart from those who in hindsight for some reason don't rate his coaching?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:"If it's the right thing by the team to bring in a young player, it will be because that young player has earned his position," Richardson said.

On the other hand, we just can't throw our old blokes in because they're old (and out of form like Ray, Gilbert, et al).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
bigcarl wrote:"If it's the right thing by the team to bring in a young player, it will be because that young player has earned his position," Richardson said.

On the other hand, we just can't throw our old blokes in because they're old (and out of form like Ray, Gilbert, et al).

Im not sure either of those are out of form.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

14 premierships unfortunately.

plugger66 wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I would be more worried about the WB and why they are better than us than the pies.
Probably because they started their rebuild 2 years before us, so they're 2 years ahead of us. And given that we split both games this year and margins were 7 points and 6 points, I wouldn't have thought they're that much better.

Maybe true but they had a much younger side in against us last week. They had 5 teenagers to our one. That doesn't show they are 2 years ahead in the rebuild. And I don't care what the margins were. They have won 8 games this year. We may have 4 or 5 wins at the same stage.
True about the age difference in the Dogs game. I'm hoping it's a good thing long term that our best young talent is still to come through. We do need more elite midfield talent through next 2 drafts - supports the tankers argument, but I don't think we'll need to tank.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

One of them had a coach that thought Luke Ball could only play 6 minutes at a time and couldn't spread.
The other had a bloke who whilst almost universally considered a prick of a bloke has 3 flags to console himself with!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:One of them had a coach that thought Luke Ball could only play 6 minutes at a time and couldn't spread.
The other had a bloke who whilst almost universally considered a prick of a bloke has 3 flags to console himself with!

Have you sort help?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Sought!

Playon
Club Player

Glad you soughted that out

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Another sordid thread...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I still haven't worked out the difference between Bi and Buy.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:The Pies started their rebuild after the 2011 grand final. Since then they have shown faith in their younger players getting games into them and now they are reaping the rewards. We are playing the old farts and delaying the development of kids like Templeton, Mckenzie, Goddard and McCartin who are being played on suburban fields.
I think it is a lot more than that.

Firstly:
As much as I hate to admist it the Pies have in the main drafted and traded extremely well since their last GF experience. Probably the No 1 team in the AFL in this period if you examine quality in for picks used/ players traded away.

I had my doubts on Buckley too, but he clearly has a vision for the type of team that he wants and is rebuilding. With the exception of the very talented Swan they have traded away anyone who was not conforming to the Pie's new ethic.

Secondly:
Yes the Saints have too many older players...but we have too few in our late twenties due to an era on inept drafting.

The Pies have 12 players aged 26-29
The Saints have only 5..........and this is why we have more older players at present. We are compensating with more older players due the lack of late-twenties players.

I expect 2, maybe 3, will go at the end of this season. Then more the season after.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I still haven't worked out the difference between Bi and Buy.
Buy sexual is what you get when you shop locally.

Bi sexual has to do with similar activity in Phillipines.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

About 15 blokes who can handpass and kick accurately in field play and who possess physical strength, especially in marking contests. I see no difference in desire to win and little difference in the ability to win a contested ball on the ground. We are (marginally) better at converting from set shots.

For the past decade, our recruiting has seemingly ignored skills in the selection process. Having said that, Collingwood, like teams in WA and SA, seem to be able to recruit players through the rookie system, who are skilful, so they never make it to the general draft. Of course, none of these teams would have the ability and finance to identify 15 yos and hide them away until the time was ripe. That would involve having dozens of talent spotters in minor leagues and making significant "encouragement" payments to families which is probably against the rules.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Then we will be the next Hawthorn

saintkid
Club Player

Difference from a non playing perspective, about 30 million more in assets and plenty of $$ more per season in guaranteed sponsorship and marketing income. The Pies to the AFL are like one of the 4 big banks and always will be due to their huge media profile and supporter base. Have the great MCG home game deal, the blockbuster games and the Afl gives them preferential treatment in the fixture. This alone breeds a superior culture for their player development and virtually guarantees them finals appearance every season.
Last edited by saintkid on Sun 05 Jul 2015 8:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

We have dignity they haven't

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The difference between us and the Pies? They are a strange lot, they don't even look human.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:The difference between us and the Pies? They are a strange lot, they don't even look human.
No way to talk about Sidebottom and the Shaws and Clokes.