Channel 7 commentary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Re: Channel 7 commentary

The very simple solution is to turn off the volume. Works wonders for me.

Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

kosifantutti wrote:For those who didn't know that Tom Lynch used to play for St Kilda, it would have been a handy fact to produce. They never mentioned it once. I suspect they didn't know.

The amount of time they get the players wrong is amazing for guys who are paid to do this. Templeton kicked the ball a mile in the air at one stage. They would have had time to go and buy a footy record and look it up. But after a long pause they referred to him as Steven.

And they very rarely disagree with each other. When Newnes got the 50m for the first goal one of them suggested it was a bit soft and then they all had to agree with him. But I reckon if you take a mark uncontested and start going back to take your kick when an opponent crashes in to you and knocks the ball out of your hand, that's 50m. Apparently the Crows player was "marginally" late.

And their directing is not much better. Two of the more interesting incidents of the game were never replayed. Roberton punched someone in the guts. No replay. 50m to Steven under controversial circumstances with Schneider interfering with the throw back to him. No replay.

I know it's better for the team when we're on Channel 7 but they do a horrible job.
Yes I too was astounded at Basil's comments regarding Newenes, it was deplorable.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:For those who didn't know that Tom Lynch used to play for St Kilda, it would have been a handy fact to produce. They never mentioned it once. I suspect they didn't know.
I have grown so sick and tired of the poor standard of sportscasting from the likes of Channel 7 that I actually turn the volume right down every time I watch their telecasts of matches.

How much longer will their moronic inferno last? Something's gotta give at some point.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
FQF
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:
I have grown so sick and tired of the poor standard of sportscasting from the likes of Channel 7 that I actually turn the volume right down every time I watch their telecasts of matches.

How much longer will their moronic inferno last? Something's gotta give at some point.
Not just footy. Channel 9 cricket commentary is in a FAR worse state. Fact is, there is no competition for the broadcast because even when Foxtel air games, they use the Channel 7 commentary, so there is no commercial incentive to improve the product.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:

I've had it turned down for the last couple of years. Although cos we get all the Suns and Lions games, the commentary for those isn't too bad as mostly the tools aren't doing it. Thankfully Darcehole seems to be not doing games and Taylor.

I will leave the volume up for Dawks/Shitney on Sat nite and see how long I can stand it until I mute or turn the TV off completely.

A bit of commentary by Shooter Williamson would liven things up lol

Last edited by stevie on Tue 19 May 2015 4:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Don't mind it myself. Bruce can be a little annoying but I do like a little drama in the footy. A bit of humour never hurts either.

resaintlee
Club Player

I thought it was only Bruce making irrelevant comments that annoyed me but I struggled listening to Tim Watson on Saturday.when

Austinnn
Club Player

ace wrote:
4ever_saint wrote:What annoyed me most was the Eddie Betts-bias commentary. Bruce was just as damaging down the other end and yet they were ready to Knight Eddie (an actual quote from Hamish) and barely mentioned Bruce at all.

15 disposals, 12 marks, 4 tackles, 5 goals (Bruce) vs 17 disposals, 6 marks, 5 tackles, 6 goals (Betts). Not much in that.
Yeah but Josh Bruce is not indigenous.
Political correctness says that anything an indigenous does counts double.
So that makes Betts 34 disposals, 12 marks, 10 tackles, 12 GOALS.
Clearly betts on ground on those stats.
Excrement.
Give it a rest. Save your whinging for the nineties.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
gringo
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
4ever_saint wrote:What annoyed me most was the Eddie Betts-bias commentary. Bruce was just as damaging down the other end and yet they were ready to Knight Eddie (an actual quote from Hamish) and barely mentioned Bruce at all.

15 disposals, 12 marks, 4 tackles, 5 goals (Bruce) vs 17 disposals, 6 marks, 5 tackles, 6 goals (Betts). Not much in that.
Yeah but Josh Bruce is not indigenous.
Political correctness says that anything an indigenous does counts double.
So that makes Betts 34 disposals, 12 marks, 10 tackles, 12 GOALS.
Clearly betts on ground on those stats.

If you watch the game though Bruce just goes about his business no fuss. Betts was making me shift in my seat with angst when it went near him. Milne used to get on a roll like that and it would make the opposition groan when it went near him. He looked like he'd kick about 20 goals in that form. Bruce has been outstanding but for excitement factor I thought Betts's probably on top.

SunburySaint
Club Player

If I hear one more commentator refer to Jack Steven as Jack Stevens, I'm going to launch my TV through the window. Even so-called saints die hard Mark Fine can't get it right on SEN. I just got used to the idea of not having to be reminded that he is 'The boy from lorne' now they can't get his name right.

Now lives in Geelong...