Hamstrings - What's Going On

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hamstrings - What's Going On

does it have anything to do with this ?

saint-stu
Club Player

I don't believe in coincidences.

This is really disappointing given we had Dave Misson at the club for a number of years and he did sort this out. Why haven't we as a club learned anything during his time?

We're missing "meat and potatoes" as Ross Lyon put it.

1ac46a38
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

My old baseball coach was obsessed with the prevention of hamstring injuries. He was convinced that hanstring injuries are completely preventable. We were made to stretch and warm up for about 30 minuits before training and before a game.Baseball players spend a lot of time slothing around, but then suddenly need to sprint the bases, the perfect way to tear a hamstring.

Our club never had a hamstring injury, the fact that I tore my AC was because a 120kg catcher fell across my leg whilst I was trying to slide into home base.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Bump

How many more before round 1?

Saintsational Legend

Can somebody refresh my memory - didn't Rossy Lyon have a review when he came to the club, and find that we weren't doing the right exercises? Something about meat and potatoes...

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

AFL sits saying thigh for Ross.

Looked like a classic hammy to me though

You are garbage - Enough said
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Can somebody refresh my memory - didn't Rossy Lyon have a review when he came to the club, and find that we weren't doing the right exercises? Something about meat and potatoes...
It was actually GT that led a review, but by that stage it was too late and four years had been ruined. Rossy was smart enough to bring Misson on board almost straight away. No luck involved with hammies. It's a bit like cooking, it's all in the preparation.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Basil can have a chat with Bill Davoren and between them they can come up with a fitness program that doesn't leave the participants hamstrung...

If not, i'll have to nickname him Basil Fawlty

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

If Ross has done his hammy then serious questions need to be asked as it is well past coincidence stage. Have they gone too hard with fitness training with a young group? We out ran Brisbane on a hot day on their home turf which indicates we have gone very hard on preseason training. Maybe they think our best change of getting wins is early in the seasons when everyone else is pacing themselves. I think this latest injury should trigger a review. We haven't even started R1 proper yet and are racking up a scary injury list. We need to be getting games into the likes of Ross and Billings not have them on the sidelines.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Peter Mulkearns was the nan who GT brought in to do the "meat and potatoes" type exercises that were missing, such as squats. Things improved but not in time to save GT's job.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saint-stu
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:Peter Mulkearns was the nan who GT brought in to do the "meat and potatoes" type exercises that were missing, such as squats. Things improved but not in time to save GT's job.
One of us is remembering it wrong then. I'm pretty sure the "meat and potatoes" quote was Ross Lyon. I remember him saying in one of his first years that we need to get the sort of player availability of Sydney.

1ac46a38
saint-stu
Club Player

Ah it was Ross speaking about Mulkearns:
http://www.injuryupdate.com.au/forum/ar ... -4070.html
Hamstrings and woe for Saints
Lyall Johnson | April 22, 2007
The Age

ST KILDA coach Ross Lyon last night lamented a 31-point loss to Essendon and yet another hamstring injury, this time to defender Sam Fisher, as he said the club's fitness regime could be to blame.

Lyon was also baffled by the decision to leave the Telstra Dome roof open during a rainstorm, ensuring a wet and slippery surface.

"It's interesting, isn't it? It's interesting to walk in at 12 o'clock and see the rain coming down and the roof's not shut. I suppose you have to look at the aim and the agenda of clubs and the stadium and the AFL, what you want to produce, I suppose what sort of spectacle."

It is believed that ground officials notified the AFL, which decides on the closure of the roof, of approaching rain more than two hours before the 2.10pm start. A decision to close it was made at about 1pm.

AFL spokesman Patrick Keane was unaware of the issue, but said the incident would likely be brought up in the AFL's weekly review.

Fisher left the field in the second quarter and the extent of his injury is not known. In recent years, the club has had plenty of hamstring injuries.

Lyon said their new fitness expert, Peter Mulkearns, had gone over previous fitness regimes and found an important component was missing. When pressed, Lyon said the actual thing missing was the humble squat exercise.

"The meat and potatoes is there hasn't been much squatting in the program. Meat and potatoes, that's what's missing ? it's a basic. You can laugh, but if you're not doing it under the extreme forces of AFL footy, something's going to give and it seems to be the hamstring."

Essendon's Jason Winderlich was a late withdrawal with a hamstring injury, while Leroy Jetta will miss Wednesday's Anzac Day clash due to a groin injury. David Hille, who took a knock to the chest, is in doubt.

Lyon played down the hard spoil on Luke Ball by Dustin Fletcher that left Ball prone. "It wasn't a great kick to him, was it? ? he was cleared to play; he wasn't concussed. He'll be better for the run."

1ac46a38
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

it's catchy
AFL ‏@AFL
Eagle Xavier Ellis was forced off the field in the second term after grabbing for his left hamstring #NABChallenge

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

and Roo- Petrie

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
loris
Saintsational Legend

I guess Schnieds with his questionable hamstrings may have to be promoted off the Rookie list to cover with all these hamstring injuries!!!!!!!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

and

The AFL Update
Carnage on the injury front today...

Port Adelaide's Hamish Hartlett was subbed out at quarter time with a groin injury, while West Coast was dealt a double blow with Xavier Ellis suffering a torn hamstring, and Sharrod Wellingham a calf injury.

Meanwhile in Shepparton, Hawthorn's Isaac Smith sat out the second half in his side's game against North Melbourne, icing what appeared to be a lower leg injury.

Jarrad Waite will be sweating on the Match Review Panel findings, after he was reported for striking Ben Stratton

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:My old baseball coach was obsessed with the prevention of hamstring injuries. He was convinced that hanstring injuries are completely preventable. We were made to stretch and warm up for about 30 minuits before training and before a game.Baseball players spend a lot of time slothing around, but then suddenly need to sprint the bases, the perfect way to tear a hamstring.

Our club never had a hamstring injury, the fact that I tore my AC was because a 120kg catcher fell across my leg whilst I was trying to slide into home base.
I tend to agree with this...

add that players are more likely to get soft tissue injuries when tired so the idea of rotations/rests really comes to light but th real key as stated is that u have to focus on prevention... once u tear it once, ur likely to tear again

Curiously... how soft tissue injuries did Lenny ever get as a matter of interest

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:My old baseball coach was obsessed with the prevention of hamstring injuries. He was convinced that hanstring injuries are completely preventable. We were made to stretch and warm up for about 30 minuits before training and before a game.Baseball players spend a lot of time slothing around, but then suddenly need to sprint the bases, the perfect way to tear a hamstring.

I tend to agree with this...

add that players are more likely to get soft tissue injuries when tired so the idea of rotations/rests really comes to light but th real key as stated is that u have to focus on prevention... once u tear it once, ur likely to tear again

Curiously... how soft tissue injuries did Lenny ever get as a matter of interest

A few.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Jarrad Waite will be sweating on the Match Review Panel findings, after he was reported for striking Ben Stratton
Off topic, but it's hilarious that Waite has already been reported. I haven't been able to find one person who thinks he was a logical pickup for the Roos.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 7253877320
Instead Richardson said the Saints could have been “incredibly unlucky” as scans yesterday confirmed a split in Seb Ross’s left hamstring tendon would sideline him for 10-12 weeks.

Ross, who broke down in the win against Essendon in Morwell on Saturday, should dodge surgery but joins Farren Ray, Jack Billings, Shane Savage and Dylan Roberton as hamstring victims.

Sam Gilbert (foot), Jimmy Webster (finger) and Daniel Markworth (shoulder) have also been ruled out for chunks of 2015.

Last week the Saints began reviewing their practices as Ray went under the knife and prized midfielder Billings was ruled out for a month, jeopardising his Round 1 selection.

“We’re really confident in the program,” Richardson said yesterday.

“At this stage looking at all of them, and quite closely I might add individually, it could just be that we’re incredibly unlucky.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

THEROY: We have gone very hard with preseason training so we will have a fitness edge to try and snare a couple of wins in our early games - GWS, GC etc.
PROOF: outrunning Brisbane in the heat in the last quarter.
REASON WHY: Like last year, with a young team, our best chances at winning is early as virtually all other teams will pace themselves to build throughout the season. FEAR DRIVING THIS APPROACH: That if we can't win early then we could possibly, but not likely, go through the season without a win.
RESULT OF 0 WINS: An incredible amount of brought down on the club and coach and possibly forcing the clubs hand to draft in some more experienced players and derail our drafting policies and possible loss of coach.
UNEXPECTED RESULT: hamstrings tweaked and strained when supporting extra muscle bulk.
/END THEROY

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I would be shocked and pretty disappointed if we have designed our pre-season training load around the draw, eyeing off early games for wins.

No doubt we have ramped up fitness, but surely we would be taking the long term approach with the current list?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Who is THE ROY?

Apparently Sri Lanka has been training at Seaford, one of their batters tore a hammy tonight

You are garbage - Enough said
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I would be shocked and pretty disappointed if we have designed our pre-season training load around the draw, eyeing off early games for wins.

No doubt we have ramped up fitness, but surely we would be taking the long term approach with the current list?
Why is it so far fetched? We have a softer draw earlier - why not take advantage of that by peaking at the start of the season when the other teams won't be. GWS, GC, Essendon (particularly if suspensions), Dogs, Carlton early in the season are our most probable wins. We don't give a s*** about finals but virtually all other clubs will have an eye on peaking at the end of the season so lets catch them flat footed like we did with Sydney last year. If we can chalk up a few wins early it takes a huge amount of pressure off. We could experiment a bit more - play Roeey in a different position.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
dragit wrote:I would be shocked and pretty disappointed if we have designed our pre-season training load around the draw, eyeing off early games for wins.

Why is it so far fetched? We have a softer draw earlier - why not take advantage of that by peaking at the start of the season when the other teams won't be. GWS, GC, Essendon (particularly if suspensions), Dogs, Carlton early in the season are our most probable wins. We don't give a s*** about finals but virtually all other clubs will have an eye on peaking at the end of the season so lets catch them flat footed like we did with Sydney last year. If we can chalk up a few wins early it takes a huge amount of pressure off. We could experiment a bit more - play Roeey in a different position.
It's not far fetched, but I would just hope that we are training these young guys with an eye on their long term futures, not March 2015.

All clubs would be aiming to be pretty fit for round 1. carltons injury list currently has 2 calfs, 2 quads, 3 foot, 1 knee & 1 Achilles injury... plenty of clubs have 6 or more players out injured at the moment.

Maybe we have a balance wrong with our weights/conditioning program, you'd hope they are looking into it pretty seriously.