Petrenko

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Petrenko

I am unconvinced, imo he doesn't improve our list and doesn't fill a hole on our list (ie back up tall).

I think that he is an avg footballer, no hack by any means, but far from a very good player from what I've seen.

I was suprised by Delaney, Roberton, Bruce, even Mav has impressed me based on previous thoughts on him so I'm willing to trust our recruiting staff.

With all of the talk about getting J Kelly from Hawks because he is mates with Shiel about, maybe they are off Shiel and are now going down the lets get Petrenko because he is mates with Sloane! :lol:

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I thought I heard or read something somewhere that Sloane's whole family moved to Adelaide (from the peninsula i think). If this is true our slim chances with him are even slimmer. Our only hope would be if Walsh turns out to be a complete lunatic.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Not excited by Petrenko. Simply doesn't get enough of the ball and goes missing far too often. I'd much rather see all of Billings/Petracca/Minchington/Templeton and even Saad playing as that quick small forward with manic defensive pressure. If we can snare a Cockatoo/De Goey in the draft they'd be aiming for that position as well. Pick 41 options Clem Smith, Caleb Daniel and Touk Miller could all play there as well. I guess my point is, there are an abundance of younger, more talented players who should be running around a forward flank for us.

If we're taking any recycled players McKernan would make more sense - we have only one senior tall forward and he's 32 with one working knee. And our only AFL ready ruck options are 23 and 21.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

if the ball hits the ground mckernan is like the QE2 in tryingto pick it up off the deck
so the crows members at work tell me

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Petrenko is borderline,can be ok.

Mckernan is terrible at best

Sloane- Offer him the captaincy in 2016

Bring back the Lockett era
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
sax wrote: Saad's smarter around goal & really not that far behind in tackles!
Too bad he isn't too smart around banned substances.

Saad looks like he will be picked up in the ND
Very intelligent Bunk. :shock:
Moreso than your good self

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Petrenko is borderline,can be ok.

Mckernan is terrible at best

Sloane- Offer him the captaincy in 2016
Petrenko's best year was in 2012 when he played 23 games as a small forward for a return of 16 goals while averaging just 10 disposals. They are TDL-like stats...perhaps worse

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:I get the feeling this guy is a bit Milnesque, before he became a club legend. Seems like there's a bit of x-factor there. Maybe wiser after being tipped out of a club. I'd go for it, personally, different sort of character to Saad, who I'd also go for.

Who would make way though? Dunno but start with reneging on Schneider rookie arrangement. Milera is gone, Eli is less small forward than fwd-mid, isn't he? Or do people see him evolving into a pure crumbing fwd? A clever crumber would be nice to have
When Milne had played the same amount of games as Petrenko (76) he'd kicked over 150 goals, Petrenko has 50.

They can't be compared in any way.

Absolutely no way to this guy for mine, though it looks like we May rookie him.

TDL 2.0

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

I'd pass on Petrenko and seriously consider Nahas.

Club Player

dragit wrote:
Austinnn wrote:I get the feeling this guy is a bit Milnesque, before he became a club legend. Seems like there's a bit of x-factor there. Maybe wiser after being tipped out of a club. I'd go for it, personally, different sort of character to Saad, who I'd also go for.

Who would make way though? Dunno but start with reneging on Schneider rookie arrangement. Milera is gone, Eli is less small forward than fwd-mid, isn't he? Or do people see him evolving into a pure crumbing fwd? A clever crumber would be nice to have
When Milne had played the same amount of games as Petrenko (76) he'd kicked over 150 goals, Petrenko has 50.

They can't be compared in any way.

Absolutely no way to this guy for mine, though it looks like we May rookie him.

TDL 2.0
Oh. [Drops head, walks sadly away]

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:See below Crow supporters thoughts on Petrenko - some positive but mostly negative

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/j ... o.1060054/
Sounds like he just needs new footy boots :D Someone email the club and tell them to make sure he starts wearing longer stops. Might make the difference :lol:

Rookie draft seems like a bit of a lottery all up.

Anyway his highlights video looks exciting but sounds like a guy who can missing for long periods..... If the coach can find a way to get him up when hes down he might be ok.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Devilhead wrote:See below Crow supporters thoughts on Petrenko - some positive but mostly negative

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/j ... o.1060054/
Sounds like he just needs new footy boots :D Someone email the club and tell them to make sure he starts wearing longer stops. Might make the difference :lol:

Rookie draft seems like a bit of a lottery all up.

Anyway his highlights video looks exciting but sounds like a guy who can missing for long periods..... If the coach can find a way to get him up when hes down he might be ok.

poor man's ahmed saad...imho

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
damienc
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:Petrenko somehow makes Clinton Jones useful on a football field. Absolutely please no

Sorry, but I can't agree with your comment in any way, shape or form.

Especially when you consider this: The tough-as-nails Petrenko, 22, led Adelaide in pressure acts inside-50, opposition turnovers created and score assists.

"He does provide great forward defensive pressure," former Crows coach Brent Sanderson said.

"But also he has kicked goals for us this year. And I'd hate to be tackled by him and I'd hate for him to hit me.

"He does send the fear of God through the opposition at times when he's in the area. When he hits, he hits hard.

"Other guys walk taller when he's in the side, so hopefully he plays."

Ok. Sanderson isn't the coach anymore and his comments were made some time ago. But I, for one, am inclined to believe what he says. If he is right, no wonder Richo is interested in Petrenko. Hard nuts like that win football games.

saint6709
Club Player

damienc wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:Petrenko somehow makes Clinton Jones useful on a football field. Absolutely please no

Especially when you consider this: The tough-as-nails Petrenko, 22, led Adelaide in pressure acts inside-50, opposition turnovers created and score assists.

"He does provide great forward defensive pressure," former Crows coach Brent Sanderson said.

"But also he has kicked goals for us this year. And I'd hate to be tackled by him and I'd hate for him to hit me.

"He does send the fear of God through the opposition at times when he's in the area. When he hits, he hits hard.

Ok. Sanderson isn't the coach anymore and his comments were made some time ago. But I, for one, am inclined to believe what he says. If he is right, no wonder Richo is interested in Petrenko. Hard nuts like that win football games.
They are some pretty impressive quotes you have there

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

saint6709 wrote:
damienc wrote:

They are some pretty impressive quotes you have there
Impressive players do not get delisted though?