Joey on TFS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Legendary
Club Player

Re: Joey on TFS

FQF wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:The implications of Joey's comments on the Footy Show raise a bit of a conundrum...is he to be applauded for showing loyalty to a great mate, which is a great attribute in ny team sport...or is it an indictment on Montagna's lack of respect for authority and the feeling that senior players were running rough shod...

I'm not sure what I think about it, but it's not a great look for a club striving to come across as very professional, the flip side is, it shows that a group of players coming through develop a strong bond and build that 'champion team can beat a team of champions' mentality!!
If we were being honest, no professional sporting club in the world would accept this.
If you knew what most of the playing list - young and old - and the staff at the club thought of SW by the end of last year, and the contempt in which they held him, LM's actions were a drop in the ocean.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Legendary wrote:
FQF wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:The implications of Joey's comments on the Footy Show raise a bit of a conundrum...is he to be applauded for showing loyalty to a great mate, which is a great attribute in ny team sport...or is it an indictment on Montagna's lack of respect for authority and the feeling that senior players were running rough shod...

I'm not sure what I think about it, but it's not a great look for a club striving to come across as very professional, the flip side is, it shows that a group of players coming through develop a strong bond and build that 'champion team can beat a team of champions' mentality!!
If we were being honest, no professional sporting club in the world would accept this.
If you knew what most of the playing list - young and old - and the staff at the club thought of SW by the end of last year, and the contempt in which they held him, LM's actions were a drop in the ocean.
*aaaaaargh - yep heard it a hundred times before - you know what - name some direct statement quote names
Here's a fact - Andrew Thompson stood in front of the world a gave the whole football dept. a tick of approval
i dont give a stuff who coaches because i see the coach as nothing more than one piece in a four four cog machine
So yes you can side with the footballers that's fine, but i and many outside the club will counter its one of the main reasons the stkilda fc has only ever won one grand final

Seeya
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

can someone pls summerise the story?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

full episode

http://www.jump-in.com.au/show/aflfootyshow/episodes/

http://www.jump-in.com.au/show/aflfooty ... /#autoplay
only up for 13 days

and despite the radio news headline-' confidence down ! ! @ ' acros St Kilda it's not quite what Joey said

bit of a lean patch and confidence down but we know where we're going and we're on the right track
realise we are not going to play finals but going to keep working hard to leave a good legacy for the football club.

they asked on players who have left, people make choices- he made the choice to stay and happy with that, made that committment and happy to see it through- 'did you come close'- no not really

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
lewdogs
Club Player

Legendary wrote:
FQF wrote:

I find this comment very disturbing. So basically everyone hated Watters and just thought that they could do whatever they wanted?

If this is true it gives an indication of what AR was/is up against. It's pretty disgraceful to think of these players showing no respect to the senior coach, no matter what they thought of him.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Legendary wrote:
FQF wrote:

*aaaaaargh - yep heard it a hundred times before - you know what - name some direct statement quote names
Here's a fact - Andrew Thompson stood in front of the world a gave the whole football dept. a tick of approval
i dont give a stuff who coaches because i see the coach as nothing more than one piece in a four four cog machine
So yes you can side with the footballers that's fine, but i and many outside the club will counter its one of the main reasons the stkilda fc has only ever won one grand final
i get so sick and tired of this " the main reasons the stkilda fc has only ever won one grand final" bull dust and the so called poor culture being the reason that our club has only one flag ... so you are trying to tell me this "poor culture " is the reason that in 97 we lost two very important players on the eve of the g/f and had our star player mourning the loss of his father , poor culture made a no name crow kick a bag of goals?
Poor culture caused the scarlet to poke to hit its target and not fly off the side of the boot ? poor culture made the ump miss the ball hitting the post ? Poor culture saw Leon Davis have the ball fall in his lap to kick a goal out of nothing in 2010 g/f1 poor culture made the ball bounce just out of milnes grasp?

please but for some bad luck and critical mistakes is why we have only one flag culture has nothing to do with it ... Carlton have possibly the woste culture of a club in the history of the game a culture of cheating lieing thuggery dirty deals arrogance and just as boozy past as ours yet they have 16 flags ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote:
Legendary wrote:
FQF wrote:

I find this comment very disturbing. So basically everyone hated Watters and just thought that they could do whatever they wanted?

If this is true it gives an indication of what AR was/is up against. It's pretty disgraceful to think of these players showing no respect to the senior coach, no matter what they thought of him.
i think its more of a case that there was one game left for the year the result had no impact on anything whatsoever a great mate was struggling to be part of his own farewell game so some of the boys bent the rules ... it was prob know that Milney and Blakey were getting their farewell game and i think it would have been a greater crime to have not helped Kosi get to his last game ... its true romance has no place in professional footy but when you have nothing to play for you may as well look out for your mates ...
as for Watters i feel that the issues that were there would have been able to be worked through had the club been playing winning footy but the fact is we were bottom four we were going to be doing worse this year Watters was always going to be the stop gap coach (AR prob is going to be that as well) we needed someone to coach while we built the team .. with watters it was causing fractions within the team so better to cut the cause of the issues and start fresh again as it matter very little who we have in the coach job right now their only role is to keep the team motivated and buying into the rebuild .. Watters didnt do that i get the feel AR does

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i get so sick and tired of this " the main reasons the stkilda fc has only ever won one grand final" bull dust and the so called poor culture being the reason that our club has only one flag ... so you are trying to tell me this "poor culture " is the reason that in 97 we lost two very important players on the eve of the g/f and had our star player mourning the loss of his father , poor culture made a no name crow kick a bag of goals?
Poor culture caused the scarlet to poke to hit its target and not fly off the side of the boot ? poor culture made the ump miss the ball hitting the post ? Poor culture saw Leon Davis have the ball fall in his lap to kick a goal out of nothing in 2010 g/f1 poor culture made the ball bounce just out of milnes grasp?

please but for some bad luck and critical mistakes is why we have only one flag culture has nothing to do with it ...
Well said!!!

And on the Kosi issue, if Scott Watters was seriously not going to play him, then he was nuts. Coaches need players to give every last drop for them. On the other hand, the coach must understand the dynamics of the playing group. Spitting in their faces may look tough, but it is extremely dumb. Nick will make an excellent coach and it should be for us. I hope the club doesn't stuff it up. We just might see a flag in our lifetime. It's bad luck for Alan but, in coaching, timing is everything. Just ask Leigh Matthews.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

People still watch that show? They must be extremely bored with their lives.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:People still watch that show? They must be extremely bored with their lives.
Yep. You could probably have more fun ironing your hankies!

You can't blame the players from wanting to clean up from this show though, although I have never found Leigh the least bit knowledgeable. Maybe that's not the selection criteria. However, he is wise to make hay while the sun shines as, after a certain court case in the near future, his name is likely to be mud; that's mud with one "d".

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

St Trav of WA might need to use the following things-
; . ,
as well as

(That's a paragraph break)
Incredibly painful to read 700 words in one big group.
Break it up into "sentences" and "paragraphs".

Not baiting, just positive comments to help.
From someone highly skilled in writing.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

If the whole list and staff hated SW then either ALL of them was right or ONE (SW) was.

I'll go with the numbers.

That's not tail wagging the dog.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.