I think Dal To North via Free Agency

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lefty
Club Player

Re: Dal To North via Free Agency

Sigh if true..... I'll miss Dal... was close to winning one or two brownlows.
Much better player than Goddard imo and will be a far greater loss. He's a champ.
I wasn't too angry with loosing Goddard (probably because he hasn't been as consistent and cracked the sads alot) but Dal will hurt a lot.
:(

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
st.byron wrote:If true, it may be possible that we trade that compo pick to GWS for Bruce.
End result would be Bruce and Delaney for Dal.

and another pick..

Don't think so Brat. Dal goes as a free agent, we get compo pick 22. We then give North 109 or similar for Delaney.
We then give GWS our compo pick #22 for Bruce.
Net result is we receive Delaney and Bruce, GWS get pick 22 and Dal goes to North along with our last rounder as a token trade for Delaney.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Mixed emotions, we'd hope that the player we get for pick 20 turns out to be a gun. What I don't understand though is if North commit us to letting Dal go via Free Agency, how is it that they cant return the favour and let Delaney go via delisted free agency.

I am excited by the talent available from 6-20 this year, which has me thinking that 4 top 20 picks is an amazing opportunity. But to move Dal on makes me bloody sad as he was probably my favourite player from day one.

How can Pelch possibly get rid of a left footer with sublime skills :?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:Sigh if true..... I'll miss Dal... was close to winning one or two brownlows.
Much better player than Goddard imo and will be a far greater loss. He's a champ.
I wasn't too angry with loosing Goddard (probably because he hasn't been as consistent and cracked the sads alot) but Dal will hurt a lot.

I feel similarly sad. Genuine quality player. Durable, hardly ever injured. But it's realistic to say he wont be there when we next have a shot. The club said some hard decisions have to me made and this is one of them.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Dal (leaving?) will hurt a lot..............but his departure will make room on the list (and in the salary cap) for a player/s that will be part of our next Premiership Team.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The recommendations of the club review now live.

Watters toeing the line.

Pelchen gets his way.

Pelchen rules.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:Dal (leaving?) will hurt a lot..............but his departure will make room on the list (and in the salary cap) for a player/s that will be part of our next Premiership Team.
Sadly no guarantee

saint4life
chook23
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
st.byron wrote:If true, it may be possible that we trade that compo pick to GWS for Bruce.
End result would be Bruce and Delaney for Dal.

and another pick..

Don't think so Brat. Dal goes as a free agent, we get compo pick 22. We then give North 109 or similar for Delaney.
We then give GWS our compo pick #22 for Bruce.
Net result is we receive Delaney and Bruce, GWS get pick 22 and Dal goes to North along with our last rounder as a token trade for Delaney.

pick 22 for bruce....................overs?

saint4life
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

What are North giving up to get a star? Jack Shisen. Really annoys me. We give up first round picks for unknowns. We will give up significantly more for Bruce. The system is rooted. The game is rooted. I give up.

chook23 wrote:
pick 22 for bruce....................overs?

Yes agree it overs for an unproven player third or fourth in line as a key defender at his current club. More like a 3rd rounder as I see it. But it seems the club want him, we need key defenders and there's no-one else on the horizon. Might have to bite the bullet and pay overs to get one.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

unhappy if true.

cannot believe we will give him up for SFA.

Especially when we had the whip hand and could get Delaney in the PSD.

Dal for #22 at the highest is really selling him short.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ball, Goddard, Dal Santo

Picks 2, 13, 1

Gone!!

One is pretty normal, two is tough to swallow, three is an issue IMO

Sad indictment on a club who had to pawn it's ageing stars because it fell from grace due to no continual development and roll over.... Forward planning non-existent.... Oh that's right it was a risk for a premiership

I didn't realise you had to forfeit the future to win a premiership...... 2009, ill say it again.... IMO the most glorious year for performance, the most detrimental for the future of the club....

Sometimes I think StK would sell its arse at the right price for a quick fix.... Hopefully the club survives and prospers

But what a sad way to have to do it!!!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So Delaney for pick 55?

Curren Pick 73?

So Pelchen decided 22 + Delaney was better than 26 + Delaney

Then we end up with:

3, 18, 19, 22, Savage, Delaney (and possibly Bruce in the psd)

Is that about right?

Gee whizz we need 3/4 of those draft picks to work out.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:So Delaney for pick 55?

Curren Pick 73?

So Pelchen decided 22 + Delaney was better than 26 + Delaney

Then we end up with:

3, 18, 19, 22, Savage, Delaney (and possibly Bruce in the psd)

Is that about right?

Gee whizz we need 3/4 of those draft picks to work out.

If thats it with Jolley in the PSD, we must be aiming to

a) sack Watters
b) get the No1 pick in the 2014 pick

we will be lucky to win three games next season :cry:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

That's what happens when your club doesn't put resources into recruiting and player development - you have to pay overs to trade in the players you need !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
PJ
SS Life Member

Why are ppl saying pick 22 for Dal? Is that confirmed? I've heard pick 19.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Ball, Goddard, Dal Santo

Picks 2, 13, 1

Gone!!

Sad indictment on a club who had to pawn it's ageing stars because it fell from grace due to no continual development and roll over.... Forward planning non-existent.... Oh that's right it was a risk for a premiership

I didn't realise you had to forfeit the future to win a premiership...... 2009, ill say it again.... IMO the most glorious year for performance, the most detrimental for the future of the club....

Sometimes I think StK would sell its arse at the right price for a quick fix.... Hopefully the club survives and prospers

You love to hammer the club Mart. One thread after another.
You're right about no forward planning in drafting and trading during Lyon's tenure. It could have so easily been two flags and then we wouldn't be smarting about it so much. Lyon would be a club legend. But he's not and yes the recruiting and trading was rubbish when he was coach.
Ball we lost because of Lyon's intransigence. Ball leaving is entirely down to Lyon.
Goddard was the first genuine quality player to go under FA rules. What would you have done different to keep him? Match the Bummers' deal?
Dal is not going to be there when we are next in a position to challenge. If anything this decision is exactly the kind of forward looking hard headed call you are saying we have been lacking in.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:unhappy if true.

cannot believe we will give him up for SFA.

Especially when we had the whip hand and could get Delaney in the PSD.

Dal for #22 at the highest is really selling him short.
Norf getting him for nothing really pisses me off..plus it's just not a great look.

Footy can really suck sometimes.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Outside Lenny my favorite player

The only "silk" in RWB I could brag about to mates and they'd have to agree

Agree its sad especially knowing he wants to stay

Got North mates who are wrapt and follow up with "yeah Delaney.... goes ok not really a key defender though...." I just shake my head

“Yeah….nah””
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Free agency has changed footy. It's much the same as EPL and US sports where players often move for more money, the good of the club or a combination of both. No use taking it to heart, we'll get our opportunity at a free agent when we're a team back on the rise. Good luck to Dal with his future at the Roos.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:

Picks 2, 13, 1

Gone!!

You're right about no forward planning in drafting and trading during Lyon's tenure. It could have so easily been two flags and then we wouldn't be smarting about it so much. Lyon would be a club legend. But he's not and yes the recruiting and trading was rubbish when he was coach.
Ball we lost because of Lyon's intransigence. Ball leaving is entirely down to Lyon.
Goddard was the first genuine quality player to go under FA rules. What would you have done different to keep him? Match the Bummers' deal?
Dal is not going to be there when we are next in a position to challenge. If anything this decision is exactly the kind of forward looking hard headed call you are saying we have been lacking in.

Good post. really good post.

but it still sucks.

I can live with pick 19 but I hope GWS don't make us pay overs for Bruce.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Free agency has changed footy. It's much the same as EPL and US sports where players often move for more money, the good of the club or a combination of both. No use taking it to heart, we'll get our opportunity at a free agent when we're a team back on the rise. Good luck to Dal with his future at the Roos.

yes, another good post..

chook23
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:

Picks 2, 13, 1

Gone!!

great reply

saint4life
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Free agency has changed footy. It's much the same as EPL and US sports where players often move for more money, the good of the club or a combination of both. No use taking it to heart, we'll get our opportunity at a free agent when we're a team back on the rise. Good luck to Dal with his future at the Roos.
Why wouldn't we take it to heart. We have just lost 2 of our all time greats in 2 years ffs. It has cost the clubs stealing these 2 players donuts in terms of compensation. Can't see any top 20 league players knocking down our door to wear our colours. The system is a joke. Why are you so sure we will get an opportunity?

8856brother wrote:
Why wouldn't we take it to heart. We have just lost 2 of our all time greats in 2 years ffs. It has cost the clubs stealing these 2 players donuts in terms of compensation. Can't see any top 20 league players knocking down our door to wear our colours. The system is a joke. Why are you so sure we will get an opportunity?

We lost Carl and Stewie over a few of years. Nothing has changed through FA.