Don't want Jolly

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Re: Don't want Jolly

No to Jolly for me.

There are plenty of blokes running around the state leagues that would cost next to nothing to rookie and keep just in the event something catastrophic happens and Hickey, Rhys and Pierce all go down in the space of the season. Adding to the fact that they wont be giant douchebags like Jolly is. I reckon Holmes isn't ready for AFL footy just yet but he has played in the USAFL over here so he isn't totally wet behind the ears. He could potentially get a game if all three blokes above go down.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Can people name names rather than 'state players'. Don't bother - I can google some now too.

I dislike Jolley but we can still get games into Hickey with Jolley on the list. Surely people can see we need to replace the ruckman spot on our list in case of injury. Stanley is out half the time and Hickey had a bad run. Jolley would be much better than these 'state players' and would probably coach too.

Also wouldn't mind Trent West.

Rosco
Club Player

If you don't like jolly then that is a good reason to get him and play him at sandy all year as a backup for catastrophes.

PJ
SS Life Member

I think Jolly is important for Hickey and Stanley's development. We don't have a coach/mentor and backup and that will be his role.

So when one or two of our young guys gets injured next season and we are short a ruckman there simply will not be any "shouldn't have sold McEvoy" calls goes up, "what crap recruiting".

The decision is correct - Excellent call by recruiting and a possible future line coach.

But yes go ahead and make the call on his bad character based on..........errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Clearly some rational thought going on.......continue

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SuperDuper
Club Player

good idea imo to get jolly to the club for no cost.
Great spread of rucks on our list with Jolly ....Hiclkey Stanley and Pierce are all still young
Jolly to play a handful of games when needed

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

gringo wrote:I think he would be back up if the inevitable happened and a ruck went down. Both Stanley and Hickey were injured at points in 2013. Holmes should play seniors at Sandy I think just unlikely to get a senior AFL gig. He is super athletic and if all he has to do is slap a ball at ball ups he will be capable.
It'll be very interesting to see how he goes. He's played American football but like rugby, you don't have so much disputed ball, and no separation of players.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Rosco
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote:good idea imo to get jolly to the club for no cost.
Great spread of rucks on our list with Jolly ....Hiclkey Stanley and Pierce are all still young
including against the pies so he can get his knees into their ruck

SuperDuper
Club Player

if saints rate pierce then jolly is a perfect aquisition. Pierce needs 2 years before he is ready.
we need 3 rucks to get us through a season and only have 2 atm. if they dont rate pierce then get someone younger

seems they do rate pierce though

damienc
Club Player

Zed wrote:Ok so we traded out Ben, but we did bring in Hickey and Lew Pierce last year. Invest 20 odd games in Hickey and/or Stanley (who has been starved of opportunity as a forward or ruck) and if necessary use Pierce to cover for injury.

Can not see the point of bringing in Jolly or another ruck for a year or 2 - invest the games into what we have. It may also give Holmes more exposure at senior VFL level. We are not going to make the 8 next year and our existing rucks can all potentially develop into something special. We need them fully developed by 2016/17 when we look to climb back into the 8 and not lacking 20-30 games experience.

And for those of you who say we will get smashed at the midfield in 2014, just cast your mind back to the grand final. Sandilands clearly won the taps and Hawthorn expected him to. Hawks had their mids run to where Sandi normally hits the ball. That's great preparation. No reason why our midfield can't to do something similar if we genuinely think we can't compete at the ruck contest with what we currently have. But seriously let be bold - it's time for our next generation of rucks to get their chance

The people on this forum who don't want Jolly are not thinking straight. This guy is a top premiership ruckman with at least one year left in him. He can teach our talented but extremely green ruckmen in Hickey, Stanley and Pierce how to get the job done and we get him at no cost. Where is the downside? People have very short memories. When we played the Pies Jolly gave our rucks a lesson in how to dominate a game. Whether he plays or doesn't play is immaterial. His experience and knowledge is invaluable. And if we sign him that will be the reason why.

Watts the Buzz
Club Player

groupie1 wrote:I wouldn't want to see Jolly with us for the simple reason that he is a mercenary and a total TWAT of an individual... one of the nastiest little pricks running around the footy ground.
+1

Megamaguire
Club Player

Upside 2 Jolly

Jolly especially @ Low cost = an important level of support and experience. On paper he would / could be a good get IF HE IS KEEN!
Hickey needs Genuine support and no doubt on-going constructive input. Jolly would have something to offer Hickey I would think.
Saints should not leave Hickey (or Rhys for that matter) to attempt to go it alone. Another ruck is certainly needed.

G O S A I N T S!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Too late! Unless he fails a medical?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

It does cost. it costs us a pick in the draft or the delisting of a contracted player. It always costs something. Understand why they are doing it but not sure we need to do it. Certainly doesnt worry me what sort of guy he is. Im sure we have other dickheads on our list.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Good, hope we pick him up.

Good ruckman who will help out our youngsters.

Couldn't care less if he is a good bloke or not. Gardiner was supposed to be ordinary as a bloke and went OK for us.

As long as he is not an ice addict and doesn't take Essendon type performance enhancing drugs and doesn't break the law, couldn't care less if he is a good bloke or not - I dont want him as a friend, I want him to play football for us and help ou young ruckmen.

Good choice for the Saints and for Jolly who may want to start mentoring and looking at life after playing football.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

It does cost. it costs us a pick in the draft or the delisting of a contracted player. It always costs something. Understand why they are doing it but not sure we need to do it. Certainly doesnt worry me what sort of guy he is. Im sure we have other dickheads on our list.
+1

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gardiner used to hang out with Ben Joffa?... Wonder what they used to get up to? Hmm...

Gardy was actually a great bloke from reports from both WC and StK (ESP stk after he settled) did some dodgy things outside of footy but like BC was a leader at WC and like BC was respected and liked as a person?

Andrew Lovett was a confirmed d**khead.... He was universally disliked.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Gardiner used to hang out with Ben Joffa?... Wonder what they used to get up to? Hmm...

Gardy was actually a great bloke from reports from both WC and StK (ESP stk after he settled) did some dodgy things outside of footy but like BC was a leader at WC and like BC was respected and liked as a person?

Just as I was enjoying my breakfast somebody had to go and mention that imbecile!
All I need now is for somebody else to mention ex master coach and my whole day will be comprehensively rooted.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Has to be as a coach mostly?

Don't like him though...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Gardiner used to hang out with Ben Joffa?... Wonder what they used to get up to? Hmm...

I have no idea what your point is apart from telling us you would have got Cousins to the Saints but not Lovett. I think the club realise they made a mistake with Lovett but im also sure they didnt make a mistake with Cousins. Anyway who did recruit Cousins to Richmond?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

So did Chris Judd and David Wirrapunda.

When has Gardiner ever been accused of being a drug addict?

Lance or James??

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Holmes should play for Sandy reserves and hopefully late or mid season a few VFL seniors games.

I'll be there with BM cheering him on.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

damienc wrote:
Zed wrote:Ok so we traded out Ben, but we did bring in Hickey and Lew Pierce last year. Invest 20 odd games in Hickey and/or Stanley (who has been starved of opportunity as a forward or ruck) and if necessary use Pierce to cover for injury.

Can not see the point of bringing in Jolly or another ruck for a year or 2 - invest the games into what we have. It may also give Holmes more exposure at senior VFL level. We are not going to make the 8 next year and our existing rucks can all potentially develop into something special. We need them fully developed by 2016/17 when we look to climb back into the 8 and not lacking 20-30 games experience.

And for those of you who say we will get smashed at the midfield in 2014, just cast your mind back to the grand final. Sandilands clearly won the taps and Hawthorn expected him to. Hawks had their mids run to where Sandi normally hits the ball. That's great preparation. No reason why our midfield can't to do something similar if we genuinely think we can't compete at the ruck contest with what we currently have. But seriously let be bold - it's time for our next generation of rucks to get their chance

The people on this forum who don't want Jolly are not thinking straight. This guy is a top premiership ruckman with at least one year left in him. He can teach our talented but extremely green ruckmen in Hickey, Stanley and Pierce how to get the job done and we get him at no cost. Where is the downside? People have very short memories. When we played the Pies Jolly gave our rucks a lesson in how to dominate a game. Whether he plays or doesn't play is immaterial. His experience and knowledge is invaluable. And if we sign him that will be the reason why.
Then why not just offer him a job as a ruck coach rather than clog up the list and possibly deprive players of a game. Nobody is disputing he wasn't a great ruck with a bucketload of experience That he could teach.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Re: Upside 2 Jolly

Megamaguire wrote:Jolly especially @ Low cost = an important level of support and experience. On paper he would / could be a good get IF HE IS KEEN!
Hickey needs Genuine support and no doubt on-going constructive input. Jolly would have something to offer Hickey I would think.
Saints should not leave Hickey (or Rhys for that matter) to attempt to go it alone. Another ruck is certainly needed.

G O S A I N T S!
I cant believe people are against picking up JOLLY? He will not cost us anything in the trade period and can play a realistic backup to Hickey and Stanley should either be injured. I doubt they would sign him up with the intention of playing him as the No 1 ruckman and as long as he understands that. Competition for positions is also healthy plus he could play a great mentoring role for our young ruckman particularly Pierce whilst he is developing.

For me the decision to pick up Jolly is a 'no brainer' !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saintbob
SS Life Member

This would be similar to when we brought in Capuano, a total waste of time and money!!!

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Do people dislike him because of on-field sledging or the Age columns he has written over the years? Or is it something else?

If it's his penmanship, by my recollection he hated Neale Daniher's coaching style and had a crack at Josh Fraser. If he joins the Saints I'll go back and read them again (I'm otherwise not that interested in revisiting his pearls of wisdom). Here's a link.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/by/Darren-Jolly

But in the meantime, to get a premiership player with two different clubs as a short term back-up ruck and a potential longer term ruck-coach prospect, I can't see any downside. Provided the price is right, it seems to me to fit the overall development strategy.

Always loyal