Buddy & NDS make a mockery of FA

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Buddy & NDS make a mockery of FA

plugger66 wrote: I failed year 5. How can I understand that?
It's all about the vibe…

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Just dont give compensation for a FA. Its the obvious way to go. It will create more movement which will allow your club to improve quicker.
I don't get this. Why will it create more movement? Not getting compensation should mean clubs are less willing to lose players so are more likely to match external offers, and more likely to sign them for long-term contracts.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Just dont give compensation for a FA. Its the obvious way to go. It will create more movement which will allow your club to improve quicker.
I don't get this. Why will it create more movement? Not getting compensation should mean clubs are less willing to lose players so are more likely to match external offers, and more likely to sign them for long-term contracts.

It will create more movement because clubs that lose a FA will chase another one. if they do at the moment they can lose any pick they would get. Knowing they wont get a pick will make them chase harder for another player from another club.

And clubs may want to sign players to longer contracts but the change wont effect how players feel. They still wont sign them if they may want to move as sson as they become FA.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:I don't get this. Why will it create more movement? Not getting compensation should mean clubs are less willing to lose players so are more likely to match external offers, and more likely to sign them for long-term contracts.
It will create more movement because clubs that lose a FA will chase another one. if they do at the moment they can lose any pick they would get. Knowing they wont get a pick will make them chase harder for another player from another club.
Yeah, maybe? Definitely increases the risk of clubs getting shafted though, goes further towards defeating equalisation. The more movement, the more it benefits the big clubs - was there anyone we realistically avoided chasing last year because we didn't want to jeopardise the BJ compensation?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:I don't get this. Why will it create more movement? Not getting compensation should mean clubs are less willing to lose players so are more likely to match external offers, and more likely to sign them for long-term contracts.
Yeah, maybe? Definitely increases the risk of clubs getting shafted though, goes further towards defeating equalisation. The more movement, the more it benefits the big clubs - was there anyone we realistically avoided chasing last year because we didn't want to jeopardise the BJ compensation?

There is a SC and lower clubs will have more money in it. This year Thomas has left the biggest club and Adelaide have picked up Betts. We will use it when its time. To early for us in our rebuild.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I failed year 5.
Geez! Again!?!?
How many times in-a-row is that now?

Liam_G
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Just dont give compensation for a FA. Its the obvious way to go. It will create more movement which will allow your club to improve quicker. I dont think any comp in the world where there is FA do clubs get compensated for losing a player.
major league baseball
How does their compensation work?
In MLB, all players who will be Free Agents at the end of a season are classified prior to the free agency period and draft. The classifications are based on their ranking against players of the same/similar position over their previous two playing seasons.

Type A are the highest ranked players (Top 20% ranked). A team that signs a Type A gives its top draft pick to the club that the player left; that club also receives a supplemental pick in between the first and second rounds

Type B is the second category (21% to 40% ranked). A team that loses a Type B receives a supplemental pick, but the signing team does not lose a pick. I am not sure how they classify the "supplemental pick".

All other players carry no compensation at all.

It works, but like with all systems invented, there are aspects clubs and fans do not agree on or believe don't work as well as they should. Of course, the small pool of players available in Australia is dwarfed by the huge farm system in baseball and due to this, losing high draft picks is not as vital in baseball as it is in AFL. MLB clubs are still picking out major league quality 20 year olds at pick 800 (of over 1,200 picks).

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Liam_G wrote:In MLB, all players who will be Free Agents at the end of a season are classified prior to the free agency period and draft. The classifications are based on their ranking against players of the same/similar position over their previous two playing seasons.

Type A are the highest ranked players (Top 20% ranked). A team that signs a Type A gives its top draft pick to the club that the player left; that club also receives a supplemental pick in between the first and second rounds

Type B is the second category (21% to 40% ranked). A team that loses a Type B receives a supplemental pick, but the signing team does not lose a pick. I am not sure how they classify the "supplemental pick".

All other players carry no compensation at all.

It works, but like with all systems invented, there are aspects clubs and fans do not agree on or believe don't work as well as they should. Of course, the small pool of players available in Australia is dwarfed by the huge farm system in baseball and due to this, losing high draft picks is not as vital in baseball as it is in AFL. MLB clubs are still picking out major league quality 20 year olds at pick 800 (of over 1,200 picks).
Thanks mate, interesting info. I didn't realise their draft was so big!