Rhys Stanely

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rhys Stanely

SaintPav wrote:
Devilhead wrote:My lordy there are some numbskull overreactional critics on here.

Bull dust. He's EFFORT in the first on two occasions were ordinary and cost us goals.
In one nstant he misjudged the flight of the ball which is fairly common occurence at the open MCG

And the other instant he was spoiled by his own player

Nothing wrong with his EFFORT at all - all part of the larning experience that comes with a player that has played 33 games of senior footy

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ok. I think my post has been misunderstood. I never said that I was disappointed that Stanley wasn't dominating the game. I was talking about effort, reading the play and helping your team mates out.

His effort and reading of the play in the second didn't look good.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Devilhead wrote:My lordy there are some numbskull overreactional critics on here.

Bull dust. He's EFFORT in the first on two occasions were ordinary and cost us goals.
In one nstant he misjudged the flight of the ball which is fairly common occurence at the open MCG

As a tall defender he should have been behind the goal line when a known goal kicker is lining up.

How many games do you need to have played to realise that?

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Was just starting to get going then got injured...then got put in backline (beaten by every opponent)....back to square one again

Nee!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

As a tall defender he should have been behind the goal line when a known goal kicker is lining up.

How many games do you need to have played to realise that?
I think you will find he started behind the line and the misjudged the flight of the ball - what would have happened if he stayed on the line and the ball dropped short and Richmond player nipped in fron of him and took a mark.

He misjudged the flight of the ball whilst olaying on open MCG - a very coomon mistake that many players have made - you are armchair nitpicking - give the dude a break

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Lets just get Rhys to 50 games and then worry about where he should play.
Im leaning toward Ruck/Fwd but he can be swing back as well.
33 games for a tall guy is stuff all.
Still a developing player.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Hardly the worst- Mc Evoy was far more ineffectual.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
I think you will find he started behind the line and the misjudged the flight of the ball - what would have happened if he stayed on the line and the ball dropped short and Richmond player nipped in fron of him and took a mark.

He misjudged the flight of the ball whilst olaying on open MCG - a very coomon mistake that many players have made - you are armchair nitpicking - give the dude a break

Yeah dude, Stanley was great and I'm nit picking.

Have you watched the replay several times to know that? What's an "open MCG" mean. Without a roof?

On the Ball
Club Player

Unfortunately, the kid is a dud. Apart from win a GF sprint, he's done nothing. The coach doesnt help him either. He is scared and cant handle the hustle and bustle of elite footy. Dont know which spot they can hide him in next.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Please Pav, no defender could have dealt with the hail of 50 entries coming in. what do you really expect from this team? Blame the mids that couldn't get their hands on the ball or their s*** disposal that lead to tigers just passing it around till they felt like whipping it into the 50... yeh blame Rhys..

we where steam rolled tonight by a much better team that's all it was to it.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

On the Ball wrote:Unfortunately, the kid is a dud. Apart from win a GF sprint, he's done nothing. The coach doesnt help him either. He is scared and cant handle the hustle and bustle of elite footy. Dont know which spot they can hide him in next.
you're a fraaking wanker go support Melb you defeatist

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Red
Club Player

The second incident McEvoy spoiled Stanley. At least watch what actually happens.

There is an awful lot of over reaction on his site.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The future of footy is versatility. Stanley has great potential as an all-rounder swingman. Was starting to get the hang of being an AFL forward and then needed as a backman. Was totally s*** when first started but you could see the improvement in positioning, one-on-one, rebounding out of defense etc (he's quite a good kick). Needs to keep working his butt off but by the time he gets to 75 games he could almost play anywhere. That is a great asset for a coach to have.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
but then he followed up by getting in McEvoy way.

Not good enough Rhys.
I thought Stanley was going for the mark and Ben spoilt him. Ben was at fault. Ben also did likewise to another StKilda player later.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:The future of footy is versatility. Stanley has great potential as an all-rounder swingman. Was starting to get the hang of being an AFL forward and then needed as a backman. Was totally s*** when first started but you could see the improvement in positioning, one-on-one, rebounding out of defense etc (he's quite a good kick). Needs to keep working his butt off but by the time he gets to 75 games he could almost play anywhere. That is a great asset for a coach to have.
Exactly.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The problem I see with Stanley is he can't take an overhead mark anymore. This was what made him a huge threat up forward and in the ruck. Playing down back hasn't helped him but he seems to have lost all confidence.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
matrix
Saintsational Legend

and thats it
confidence

i also reckon playing down back (which has been out or necessity) is not helping
when down back i think he is worried about stuffing up

the kid is a forward and will benefit when we get the defenders we require
played f*** all games and has had injuries

cut some slack ffs

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

How many above par games has Stanley ever produced?

Even at the VFL he was average.

Lets face it, the kid will have to dramatically improve out of nowhere to be anything more than a GOP.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I watched Adelaide playing Tippett and Tex Walker and thought those two were giant spuds. Both looked lost at times and didn't seem to know where to position themselves. They would swing them around trying to get them some confidence and just nothing would happen. LBut then last year they were about the best forward combo going around. Stanley is heaps like Tippett you just have to be patient he will be a good player. Tyrone Vickery has been a massive dud until this year but he is finally getting some consistency. It takes time.

Rhys def plays his best footy as a ruck forward and when we get a FB he will have learnt heaps from his time down back. He is our best ruckman by a fair margin- if Mac and Hickey could ruck as well as Rhys we would be a better team.