Salopek ??????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lloyd21
Club Player

Re: Salopek ??????

Sandringham

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I just think if he was any good whatsoever, Primus who's career depended on a few more wins, would have played him.
If Primus knew he had no chance with or without the older better guys it usually looks better that hes playing kids and losing.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
andrewg
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:I'd be surprised if we went down this path but Andrewg is adamant that we will. Time will tell but I doubt it.
I am not but 100% it will happen. I just know the saints are interested and have definitely 100% talked to him and Sal wants to come to us. He wants to play footy. It will just depend on space on the list, and if the bulldogs or north don't grab him first.

Look I can't see the harm in a one year contract with two years option due to fitness if there is space on the list. The change could see home be a great player. He is no worse than Gram or Farren and his disposal is much better than CJ, his decision making is better than Raph. Someone has to replace those guys if they leave or and no longer required. Again I think it will come down to list space.

andrewg
Club Player

Tassie Saint wrote:
dragit wrote:I just think if he was any good whatsoever, Primus who's career depended on a few more wins, would have played him.
I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that he'd put on weight in the off season trying to bulk up for more inside midfielder stuff and ended up losing fitness/endurance and being more injury prone this year. Possibly enough to put people off.
Still think he's worth the punt myself. Would come cheap
This is untrue. Played golf with him last summer and he was fit as. I did hear he had a massive falling out with the coaching staff and a few choice words were shared. The refusal to play him had more to do with stubbornness and egos from the selectors than winning games. One of Sals best mates at the club was Chaplain and if he wasn't a key defender, would not have played again after sticking up for Sal over his non selection. 12 months later Chaplian gone and Sal a clubless man.

Not sure what Primus is doing, maybe Centrelink?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

id take him with a late pick
why not?
give him a run throughout the NAB and see what happens

nothing to lose if he is still there in the 50s and 60s

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Offer Port pick 90+.
They will take it as he is worth nothing as a free agent to them and we don't want to risk watering down our compensation.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

andrewg wrote: This is untrue. Played golf with him last summer and he was fit as. I did hear he had a massive falling out with the coaching staff and a few choice words were shared. The refusal to play him had more to do with stubbornness and egos from the selectors than winning games. One of Sals best mates at the club was Chaplain and if he wasn't a key defender, would not have played again after sticking up for Sal over his non selection. 12 months later Chaplian gone and Sal a clubless man.

That is outrageous..

Not questioning your info, but you really have to question the appointment process and professionalism if this stuff was going on under Primus. All coaches have favourites, our ex-coach was one of the biggest offenders, but to the extent stated is a disgrace..

gringo
Saintsational Legend

i think it's just like farren and raph. We know we need to get games into kids over guys that won't be part of the next tilt. Hes just is unfortunate that he's not fitting into their plans. I don't see it as a conspiracy just the reality of where the club is at.

Tassie Saint
Club Player
Location: In the wilds of Tassie - Where boys become men, and cousins become wives

andrewg wrote:
Tassie Saint wrote:
I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that he'd put on weight in the off season trying to bulk up for more inside midfielder stuff and ended up losing fitness/endurance and being more injury prone this year. Possibly enough to put people off.
Still think he's worth the punt myself. Would come cheap
This is untrue. Played golf with him last summer and he was fit as. I did hear he had a massive falling out with the coaching staff and a few choice words were shared. The refusal to play him had more to do with stubbornness and egos from the selectors than winning games. One of Sals best mates at the club was Chaplain and if he wasn't a key defender, would not have played again after sticking up for Sal over his non selection. 12 months later Chaplian gone and Sal a clubless man.

Umm... extra weight doesn't have anything to do with fitness... it's about bulk and muscle

I knew I had remembered reading something about it...
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/p ... 26hh0.html
A decision to beef up and add between six and seven kilograms last pre-season was something Salopek would quickly rue. This led to issues with form and a knee injury, which restricted him to training just once a week and would particularly take a toll after half-time on match day....''I wanted to develop my game a little bit. I was always an outside midfielder but I thought I needed to add a few more strings to my bow, maybe play inside more, pinch hit inside, play half-forward a bit,'' Salopek said.

Caaaaaarn you Sainters!!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
andrewg wrote: This is untrue. Played golf with him last summer and he was fit as. I did hear he had a massive falling out with the coaching staff and a few choice words were shared. The refusal to play him had more to do with stubbornness and egos from the selectors than winning games. One of Sals best mates at the club was Chaplain and if he wasn't a key defender, would not have played again after sticking up for Sal over his non selection. 12 months later Chaplian gone and Sal a clubless man.

That is outrageous..

Not questioning your info, but you really have to question the appointment process and professionalism if this stuff was going on under Primus. All coaches have favourites, our ex-coach was one of the biggest offenders, but to the extent stated is a disgrace..
I doubt that story is the main reason he hasnt played. Don't tell me, he had a falling out with the SANFL coaching team too? We are talking about a guy that was dropped to the Glenelg reserves. He had to change clubs so that he could see some senior (SANFL) action. There's either a national conspiracy against him or, he's just s***.

Not sure how a round of golf would give you an indicator to someone's fitness for AFL? He said himself last week that he put on weight and couldn't run out games - in the SANFL :shock:

Honestly, he is the very last thing we need, a one paced midfielder in his late 20's, he will just take valuable game time from our promising youth. Think dean polo, only older.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: I doubt that story is the main reason he hasnt played. Don't tell me, he had a falling out with the SANFL coaching team too? We are talking about a guy that was dropped to the Glenelg reserves. He had to change clubs so that he could see some senior (SANFL) action. There's either a national conspiracy against him or, he's just s***.

Not sure how a round of golf would give you an indicator to someone's fitness for AFL? He said himself last week that he put on weight and couldn't run out games - in the SANFL :shock:

Honestly, he is the very last thing we need, a one paced midfielder in his late 20's, he will just take valuable game time from our promising youth. Think dean polo, only older.

That's not really fair- he had knee troubles and couldn't break back in. Polo was one of those guys that always looked like he might get better but didn't. Salopek could actually play and was pretty decent when the Power were a good team. He reached a position in a team that played in Grand Finals and was a starting 22, not sure you could say he is s***. He's probably more like a Farren Ray type- good but not elite with the odd day he looks really good. my guess is still just that he wasn't in their future plans and was only seeing out time.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
dragit wrote: I doubt that story is the main reason he hasnt played. Don't tell me, he had a falling out with the SANFL coaching team too? We are talking about a guy that was dropped to the Glenelg reserves. He had to change clubs so that he could see some senior (SANFL) action. There's either a national conspiracy against him or, he's just s***.

That's not really fair- he had knee troubles and couldn't break back in. Polo was one of those guys that always looked like he might get better but didn't. Salopek could actually play and was pretty decent when the Power were a good team. He reached a position in a team that played in Grand Finals and was a starting 22, not sure you could say he is s***. He's probably more like a Farren Ray type- good but not elite with the odd day he looks really good. my guess is still just that he wasn't in their future plans and was only seeing out time.
Well let's keep Farren Ray instead, at least his body is in good nick… Salopek could not only not break into the port side, he couldn't hold his spot in the Glenelg side either…

If we lose Farren and get this bloke instead it would be terrible… so, he has better skills than Jones and better awareness than Raph ? Really? Not really selling it for me.

Again, if he was any good, he would have a new home already being an un-restricted free agent.

savatage
SS Life Member

Let's just take him, take him with pick 156 in the draft - so I don't have to keep saying no to this same thread about Salopek that has probably appeared for the last 5 years straight!

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

I would take Salopek with a late pick - always had time for him. How many players have been tipped out and made good of their second chance with another club?

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

We don't care much about winning flags so maybe we will grab ourselves another clogger.... :roll:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Disposal better than CJ, awareness better than Raph.
Is he also taller than a midget?
GET HIM AT ONCE!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Disposal better than CJ, awareness better than Raph.
Is he also taller than a midget?
GET HIM AT ONCE!
We could...we won't have any competition, unlike what we face when we try to get good players

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Gurgman
Club Player

Burkey 1 wrote:Seems this guy has dropped off the radar, cheap pick up for a Mid you would think.
Id rather a four day old dim sim than him , has done nothing for years , why would you waste any pick on him ?

And i thought this was a forum
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Gurgman wrote:
Burkey 1 wrote:Seems this guy has dropped off the radar, cheap pick up for a Mid you would think.
Id rather a four day old dim sim than him , has done nothing for years , why would you waste any pick on him ?
From my own observations you've been known to Salopack quite a few dimmies in your guts Gurgman :P

Gurgman
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Gurgman wrote:
From my own observations you've been known to Salopack quite a few dimmies in your guts Gurgman :P
True maybe more than a few but i hoped that they were only a day old

And i thought this was a forum
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Always laugh when people say take him because it costs nothing. Well it does cost something. A pick in the draft and also having a player of his experience temps you to play him ahead of a kid. Lets forget about players like him. We arent winning the flag anytime soon so lets pick no one over 25-26 tops and only if that person is a KPP. No not this year.

wally
Club Player

Yeah,it's easy to say "we might get 3 good years out of him," but all the young kids will not get game time and get delisted or leave and be labelled useless,the other old blokes will retire and there's a great big hole.Sure some secondhand players have worked well but the saints aren't one experienced player away from a flag.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:Always laugh when people say take him because it costs nothing. Well it does cost something. A pick in the draft and also having a player of his experience temps you to play him ahead of a kid. Lets forget about players like him. We arent winning the flag anytime soon so lets pick no one over 25-26 tops and only if that person is a KPP. No not this year.
As much as he could be the icing on a Jacobs trade, I agree with your comments. Back when we were playing in GFs we could have had him on the list but if he comes in, he just takes the spot of another Simpkin or a Siposs in drafting terms (unearthing a gun from a low spot on the draft).

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Would be shocked if we took anyone over the age of 25.
Possible exception of a Key backman.
Despite what fans may be dreaming Watters knows we aren't going to be serious contenders for next 3 or 4 years and will manage list accordingly

Richter
SS Life Member

We're losing a few experienced mids this year... Goddard, Polo, Peake, maybe Ray... so who is going to be cover for if we have a spate of injuries? At best Salopek might regain some of his form - stats for 6 years up to 2011 he averaged around 20 possessions a game... At worst he runs around in the VFL and gets delisted next year.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...