Shattered-How Did We Lose That

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Shattered-How Did We Lose That

When Lenny started fumbling time and time again at stopages in the 2nd half, I knew we were in big trouble.

Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:Credit to Ross, he did it very nicely.
What did he do? We would have lost to a freakin' foosball team our there tonight.
If you read my post you'd see that he stopped Dal Santo and Fisher (Milne too) and that went a huge way to winning the game

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
degruch
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
degruch wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:Credit to Ross, he did it very nicely.
What did he do? We would have lost to a freakin' foosball team our there tonight.
If you read my post you'd see that he stopped Dal Santo and Fisher (Milne too) and that went a huge way to winning the game
Heard a bit from the comentators about 'stopping Fisher', but he actually played quite a serviceable game. Milne could have kicked at least 3, but was too obsessed with kicking 500 IMO. NDS, I thought he responded better to tags in his old age...I'll give you that one. I suppose Ross gave Gearly and Monty 150 lousy kicks between them? There was no opposition coach required, we were terrible.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Heard a bit from the comentators about 'stopping Fisher', but he actually played quite a serviceable game. Milne could have kicked at least 3, but was too obsessed with kicking 500 IMO. NDS, I thought he responded better to tags in his old age...I'll give you that one. I suppose Ross gave Gearly and Monty 150 lousy kicks between them? There was no opposition coach required, we were terrible.
Joey and Gears both in our top 6 for disposal efficiency tonight.

3 clangers between them.

Lenny, Newnes, Simpkin, Polo, Blake, Steven, Armitage, Milne the major skill culprits tonight

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
degruch
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
degruch wrote:
Joey and Gears both in our top 6 for disposal efficiency tonight.

3 clangers between them.

Lenny, Newnes, Simpkin, Polo, Blake, Steven, Armitage, Milne the major skill culprits tonight
Apparently 30m kicks that go nowhere or put your forwards in an impossible position don't count as clangers...nuff said.

BushDave
Club Player

Come on guys, wake up.
We all know our forward line is our biggest weakness.

Never Give Up!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Would not like to have been a stk forward tonight.

Well done kosi

westy
Club Player

We lost because not enough players made an effort for 100 minutes(or thereabouts)

I'm livin' in a madhouse
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Ugh so so angry, just finished watching the game. Disliked the umpiring with what felt like they had tunnel vision at times. But I know that's not why we lost.

1. If we had converted better in the 1st 3quarters from opportunities all the top teams would make then we would have just gone into damage control in the 4th and secured the win.
2. The fire at the start of the 4th was inspirational, so why did it bloody stop after we got up by 1 point. Lost all intensity after Freo got 1 back. Plus we started to hold the ball up from marks when we were playing on minutes before.
3. Bad decision making, putting average players under pressure against multiple opposition is just dumb, or just plain not being aware of whats around them.
4. Bad skills, Roo was almost the only one providing decent inside 50 ball, right to Kosi's advantage. Rest was shocking (eg who sent it in 15meteres to McEvoys left in the final quarter? Hes about 25kg too heavy to ever get there, put it in the air!)
5. Defense, We worked so hard for our goals. Seemed Freo just had players streaming everytime on their own for much easier inside 50/goal opportunites., probabaly more of a coaching thing there.

Then there was just some good play from Freo players that secured their win.

TJMcCarthy
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:We were harder than Freo. They were cleaner.
I second that. Poise in a tight match is crucial.

Strength Through Unity - CAR'N THE SAINTS!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

We lost because we are a middle order side that needs things to go it's way to beat other middle order sides.Luck certainly wasn't there , but some of the fumbles, miskicks and decision making were atrocious.I'm all for kicking the thing forward but I swear half a dozen times in the second half blokes bombed it in either directly to a Freo player or to a 2 on 1 against us.
I don't think we have the balance right between taking the game on and avoiding kicking to a less than 50/50 situation.I thought Ben and Stanlet showed something and it will definitely be a rebuilding year while we wait for them and other younger players to get some game time under their belts and for the new game plan to settle in.From a coaching perspective I reckon the main objective would be to structure up in a way that allows Stanley and Steven in particular to use their pace(relative) as this is an area we all know we are most vulnerable.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
felix
Club Player

Freo are a very good side truth is we dominated for a good part of the game , our young blokes are still learning, our coach is not a wily vet like Lyon , we lost by a few points . We could have actually won it with competent umpiring and accurate kicking, don't forget Ross Lyon is a great coach . Loved roo saluting Molly just showed there's soul at the club.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:Freo are a very good side truth is we dominated for a good part of the game , our young blokes are still learning, our coach is not a wily vet like Lyon , we lost by a few points . We could have actually won it with competent umpiring and accurate kicking, don't forget Ross Lyon is a great coach . Loved roo saluting Molly just showed there's soul at the club.
Didnt see Roo do that but that is a nice aside.

Totally agree with you, we dominated for a good part and then some confusing umpiring decisions resulted in them getting possession and most times scoring a goal. They were very accurate and we werent.

I am not sure that old scotty isnt just as wily, but Lyon had a great insight into our players weaknesses etc. It was a big advantage for freo to have that info, Brisbane had that info last week also on freo they just didnt have the cattle to carry it out.

I hate losing too, but dont think it is all doom and gloom

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Some people are incredibly harsh judges regarding our effort. I thought we were the better team in most KPIs, but it was unforced errors in our forward line that were responsible for the loss. Milne had three major c**k-ups, Cripps had a couple and so did Kosi - all in the last quarter when we were dominating play. Two examples - Kosi handballs to Cripps instead of kicking for goal or kicking it to Cripps. Freo get the next goal. Milne short passes to Milera in a much better position, but the ball goes way over Milera's head. Next goal to Freo. That's a potential four goal turnaround for our errors. Had proper disposal or decisions been made in those two instances, then the game would have been ours and most of you would be hailing our guys as heroes.

It's also a pity that Clinton Jones can't kick, as he had the ball in his hands forward of the centre about 6 times and only found one target, with a couple of kicks being the the most embarrassing I have seen. I love his hardness and his drive, but he does cost us quite regularly. At some point, we need to find a player with foot skills who can play his role.

I find the criticism of Jack Steven interesting. From where I sat, he got us out of trouble numerous times with hard running and courage, and although he's not Dal Santo by foot, he's nowhere near as bad as some people are expressing on this forum. I went to the game with a Freo supporter and he was frustrated with Steven's ability to get St Kilda out of situations where Freo had the numbers. I think Jack is really exciting, and a much more important player than many think.

Overall, I was happy with the effort and impressed by the fact that in general play we were beating our opponents. Remove one third of our unforced errors and the game is ours. I could also see why Ross Lyon got us into Grand Finals with guys like McQualter and Eddy in the team. He really worked us over on the rebound and most of Freo's goals came from turnovers in our half forward line. They had players on the chess board lined up in a formation that was always going to give them one man extra through the middle on those rebounds. One for Watters to have a look at. I love Jason Blake, but if we had a player of his type with real leg speed in place of him last night, then it might have got us out of a couple of awkward situations, particularly late in the game. However, we don't, so we have to take the good with the bad.

So really, I think bagging that effort by our guys is really harsh, and in my view there was plenty to like. One area of our game let us down and we were exploited and ended up losing a close one.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We need to play players who can kick the ball. How many Saints last night could'nt kick?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:I find the criticism of Jack Steven interesting. From where I sat, he got us out of trouble numerous times with hard running and courage, and although he's not Dal Santo by foot, he's nowhere near as bad as some people are expressing on this forum. I went to the game with a Freo supporter and he was frustrated with Steven's ability to get St Kilda out of situations where Freo had the numbers. I think Jack is really exciting, and a much more important player than many think.
He was great, but really disappointed he had the chance to nail goal of the year after dodging 3 Purples, but decided to pop an athsmatic 30m lollypop to the top of the square instead, which was cut off and went to Freo's F50. Seemed to be the problem across the board in our forward line, only Roo backed himself 100% of the time, although Kosi's shocker of a handpass probably doesn't count as the opposition was blocked by the umpire. Confidence will come in time, but if ever there was a confidence booster last night was it, and we blew it against a very average opponent.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Some people are incredibly harsh judges regarding our effort. I thought we were the better team in most KPIs, but it was unforced errors in our forward line that were responsible for the loss. Milne had three major c**k-ups, Cripps had a couple and so did Kosi - all in the last quarter when we were dominating play. Two examples - Kosi handballs to Cripps instead of kicking for goal or kicking it to Cripps. Freo get the next goal. Milne short passes to Milera in a much better position, but the ball goes way over Milera's head. Next goal to Freo. That's a potential four goal turnaround for our errors. Had proper disposal or decisions been made in those two instances, then the game would have been ours and most of you would be hailing our guys as heroes.

It's also a pity that Clinton Jones can't kick, as he had the ball in his hands forward of the centre about 6 times and only found one target, with a couple of kicks being the the most embarrassing I have seen. I love his hardness and his drive, but he does cost us quite regularly. At some point, we need to find a player with foot skills who can play his role.

I find the criticism of Jack Steven interesting. From where I sat, he got us out of trouble numerous times with hard running and courage, and although he's not Dal Santo by foot, he's nowhere near as bad as some people are expressing on this forum. I went to the game with a Freo supporter and he was frustrated with Steven's ability to get St Kilda out of situations where Freo had the numbers. I think Jack is really exciting, and a much more important player than many think.

Overall, I was happy with the effort and impressed by the fact that in general play we were beating our opponents. Remove one third of our unforced errors and the game is ours. I could also see why Ross Lyon got us into Grand Finals with guys like McQualter and Eddy in the team. He really worked us over on the rebound and most of Freo's goals came from turnovers in our half forward line. They had players on the chess board lined up in a formation that was always going to give them one man extra through the middle on those rebounds. One for Watters to have a look at. I love Jason Blake, but if we had a player of his type with real leg speed in place of him last night, then it might have got us out of a couple of awkward situations, particularly late in the game. However, we don't, so we have to take the good with the bad.

So really, I think bagging that effort by our guys is really harsh, and in my view there was plenty to like. One area of our game let us down and we were exploited and ended up losing a close one.

+1
Our execution and unforced errors were certainly key in the loss. The umpiring decisions seemed to really turn the tide against us and they came at times when we were in control and had the momentum in the last quarter...Milney was shyte, our mids as a group were beaten and Kosi needs to understand that if he's having a good night in front of goal he needs to just take responsibility and go back and have a shot when you're within striking distance. He tried too hard to bring other players into the game when he didn't need to. His teammates will be happy with him when he is hungry for the footy, takes the mantle of the No. 1 forward like he did last night, and just puts the score on the board.

Freo had more goalkickers than us on on the night and this tells me that we need the mids and backs to kick it to other options apart from Roo and Milne. We kept getting exploited in the forward line with their defeneders setting up play and running it out too easily. Roo lead with Mcpharlin right on his hammer and he runs so hard and so far from the goals that he's up around the 60m mark with no crumbers around him at the time the ball is delivered. Roo is average once the footy hits the ground, so it's such a high risk play when he leads one on one and he's got a defender right next to him...He works hard, and presents but last night tells me he doesn't have the speed and the spring that he had 3-4 years ago.
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 22 Apr 2012 1:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I feel like my girlfriend dumped me for a new bloke.
then the new bloke comes to my house for dinner and bangs my new girlfriend before flying back to my old girlfriend. shattered and humiliated.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
cwrcyn wrote:Some people are incredibly harsh judges regarding our effort. I thought we were the better team in most KPIs, but it was unforced errors in our forward line that were responsible for the loss. Milne had three major c**k-ups, Cripps had a couple and so did Kosi - all in the last quarter when we were dominating play. Two examples - Kosi handballs to Cripps instead of kicking for goal or kicking it to Cripps. Freo get the next goal. Milne short passes to Milera in a much better position, but the ball goes way over Milera's head. Next goal to Freo. That's a potential four goal turnaround for our errors. Had proper disposal or decisions been made in those two instances, then the game would have been ours and most of you would be hailing our guys as heroes.

+1

CJ is best as a tagger. Give him a job like Dempster had on Pavlich and he'll serve you well. Why didn't he take Muzungu or Hill...If Hill is much taller than him I suppose that could be a reason CJ wasn't on his coattails. Our execution and unforced errors were certainly key in the loss. The umpiring decisions seemed to really turn the tide against us and they came at times when we were in control and had the momentum in the last quarter...Milney was shyte, our mids as a group were beaten and Kosi needs to understand that if he's having a good night in front of goal he needs to just take responsibility and go back and have a shot when you're within striking distance. He tried too hard to bring other players into the game when he didn't need to. His teammates will be happy with him when he is hungry for the footy, takes the mantle of the No. 1 forward like he did last night, and just puts the score on the board.

Freo had more goalkickers than us on on the night and this tells me that we need the mids and backs to kick it to other options apart from Roo and Milne. We kept getting exploited in the forward line with their defeneders setting up play and running it out too easily. Roo lead with Mcpharlin right on his hammer and he runs so hard and so far from the goals that he's up around the 60m mark with no crumbers around him at the time the ball is delivered. Roo is average once the footy hits the ground, so it's such a high risk play when he leads one on one and he's got a defender right next to him...He works hard, and presents but last night tells me he doesn't have the speed and the spring that he had 3-4 years ago.

How did that overated coach go last night?

Rosco
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I feel like my girlfriend dumped me for a new bloke.
then the new bloke comes to my house for dinner and bangs my new girlfriend before flying back to my old girlfriend. shattered and humiliated.
And leaves you with dirty sheets and an STD for your girlfriend.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Saw a lot of it on TV, very good intensity by the team and no doubt all that our poor disposal into the forward line by midfield/ onballers was the noticable difference- Steven needs to stop trying to outrun the opposition when he has the ball, take a few less steps and try and deliver cleanly instead of kicking under pressure..thats why a lot of his kicks don't go where they should. Disappointed with poor defensive games of NDS, Montagna and Milne- reminds me of when Lyon dropped NDS and Milne to VFL a few years back as wakeup call for that. More work for Watters and co with that forward line

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Thank you

It was not a WEAK effort by any means..... But as usual we could not use the footy effectively on the break, or inside 50 or importantly in front of goal.....

No surprise, it cost us two flags and has been there since 2007

bang on

there was a lot to take from friday. i still like the way we are playing more so than the past few years but the lack of clinical disposal when it counts still haunts us.

we were panicky when they were composed. seen it all too often.

still i think we are better in attck, improved in the middle and not looking too bad in defence. just got to kick them sausage rolls

#1 Ryder fan
SaintSimmo
Club Player

We lost because of poor finishing, we actually won many kpi's
Marks inside 50: Saints won by 4
Tackles inisde 50: Saints won by 7
Turnovers created: Saints won by 7
Clearances: We won by 13
Contested Possesions: We won by 15
Tackles: We won by 7
Inside 50's: We won by 12.

However, one thing to note is Fremantle's goal origin,
76 of their 92 points were set up from their backline.
Only 23 of our 79 points came from the back half, with 50 of our points coming from the forward half.

We clearly have to address the problem of teams getting the ball out of our forward half too easily and kicking over the zone. This will improve with every game the players play with this new zone and game style.

All is not lost yet.

Sainter for life.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

As we knew he would, Ross flooded our forward line and opened Freo's up.

That's his trick and he's sticking to it. That's how his teams play.

We should have won, but poor kicking at goal and some monumentally incompetent umpiring let us down.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote: However, one thing to note is Fremantle's goal origin,
76 of their 92 points were set up from their backline.
Only 23 of our 79 points came from the back half.

That's because most of their players were in our forward line for much of the match.

Frustrating to beat them in virtually every area and not come away with the points.