One finally went our way

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
saint6 wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:B. Ditterich Dawson D.Rice HB. Nixon Grant G.Elliot C. Ball Stewart Perovic HF.Winmar Hall Rae F.Sidebottom Lockett A.Davis R.Everitt Greene Trott INT> O'brien.Daniels.Carr. Walsh. FAIR DINKUM ENOUGH TO MAKE YOU WEEP.Wonder how many premierships they won at their new homes?
    well dawson has not won any and I hope that he wont. Have to say that I blame mr lyon for ball and dawson.
    I can see this quickly deteriorating into another Luke Ball thread.

Does BJ qualify because that is one that really worked out quite well considering he was supposed to go to Carlton. lol...
    Actually Saintpav, I would like to think that the BJ one does qualify, usually it would be us on the wrong end of that type of situation, but for once it was carlscum.

I love this club
    borderbarry
    Saintsational Legend

A lot of those players listed played most of their careers with the Saints, only played a retirement role with other clubs, such as Nicky Winmar.

Another player not mentioned that we did well with was Ken Shelton who played over 50 games with us and coached us into the finals.

gurubob101
    Club Player

borderbarry wrote:A lot of those players listed played most of their careers with the Saints, only played a retirement role with other clubs, such as Nicky Winmar.

Another player not mentioned that we did well with was Ken Shelton who played over 50 games with us and coached us into the finals.

A team of losses...
    B: Brent Guerra Darryl Wakelin Jamie Shanahan
    HB: Dean Rice Shane Wakelin Joel Smith
    C: Stuart Trott Ian Stewart Val Perovic
    HF: Matt Carr Barry Hall Dale Kickett
    F: Matthew Lappin Tony Lockett Gary Sidebottom

Ruck: Peter Everitt Russell Greene Luke Ball
    INT/ Jayson Daniels Stevie Rae Michael Malthouse Roy Cazaly
    Coach: Allan Jeans

A team of gains...
    Peter McConville Luke Penny Sean Dempster
    Matt Young Russell Morris Tim Pekin
    Farren Ray Stevie Powell Dean Anderson
    Adam Schneider Aaron Hamill Rod Keogh
    Stevie Milne Fraser Gehrig Paul Callery

Ruck: Michael Gardiner Brett Voss Ken Sheldon

Int/ Silvio Foschini Shane Morwood Paul Harding Brett Peake

Coach: Kenny Sheldon.

gringo
    Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Yes Milney is a standout.

You could also say Andrew Thompson.

For while we had a look at him first, IIRC the Dogs then had a sniff before we got him back again.

If Hamill's and Penny's knees had not given out we most likely would have gained a lot more joy from both.
    My mate who worked with Thommos dad said that if Luke Penny played like he trained he would be brownlow material according to the inner sanctum.

He was considered an incredible get from the dogs, it's a shame his body never let him show it on the field, he was still capable of going one more time you would have thought. He was pretty much set up outside footy so didn't need it.

loris
    Saintsational Legend

No-one has mentioned our great get from the Brions...........Jason GRAM :wink: :wink:

And that dual premeriership ruckman................... CAPUANO :(

whiskers3614
    Saintsational Legend

Forgot Wakelins and Guerra when picking my side, happy to find them so I can kick pinhead Dawson to the shithouse where hw belongs!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
    SaintPav
    Saintsational Legend

gurubob101 wrote:
    borderbarry wrote:A lot of those players listed played most of their careers with the Saints, only played a retirement role with other clubs, such as Nicky Winmar.

A team of losses...

A team of gains...

Some of those players were off loaded to get some cash in the bank. Club lacked a bit of cash flow back in the 80s.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
    BigMart
    Saintsational Legend

The 'losses team' by 8 goals

Dr Spaceman
    Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
    gurubob101 wrote:

A team of losses...

A team of gains...

Some of those players were off loaded to get some cash in the bank. Club lacked a bit of cash flow back in the 80s.
    True. Some younger people perhaps don't realise how dire things were back in the 80s.

Apart from the departures for financial reasons the arrivals were hardly the cream of the crop. Footy is much more professional these days of course, however the Brisbane Lions of 2010 - 2011 are probably the closest example. Picking up blokes with injuries who were no longer required by their clubs and a talented forward who ticked like a time bomb.

Now combine that with the finacial stability of a North or Port and you'll sort of get the picture. :wink:

SaintPav
    Saintsational Legend

Can add Gilbert Mcadam and Adrian Fletcher to the losses.

Grant Thomas too... :lol:
    Last edited by SaintPav on Wed 04 Jan 2012 12:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
    Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
    SaintPav wrote:
    gurubob101 wrote:

A team of losses...

A team of gains...

True. Some younger people perhaps don't realise how dire things were back in the 80s.

Apart from the departures for financial reasons the arrivals were hardly the cream of the crop. Footy is much more professional these days of course, however the Brisbane Lions of 2010 - 2011 are probably the closest example. Picking up blokes with injuries who were no longer required by their clubs and a talented forward who ticked like a time bomb.

Now combine that with the finacial stability of a North or Port and you'll sort of get the picture. :wink:
    What about Glenn Middlemiss? :roll:
    Last edited by SaintPav on Wed 04 Jan 2012 1:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Spaceman
    Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Can add Gilbert Mcadam and Adrian Fletcher to the losses.

Gilbert McAdam was a Loss.

Adrian Fletcher, like Heath Black, was a Gain/Loss whereas someone like Jayson Daniels was a Loss/Gain.

Grant Thomas, on the other hand, was simply a departure :P

Saints94
    SS Life Member

Jason Heatley?

Mackaysaint
    Club Player

None of the other departures had the same effect as the loss of Plugger. I was gutted, absolutely gutted, when he was stolen from us.

Also I always regretted that Nicky Winmar didn't end his career with us
    Dr Spaceman wrote:

Adrian Fletcher, like Heath Black, was a Gain/Loss whereas someone like Jayson Daniels was a Loss/Gain.

I know it was said sort of tongue in cheek, but GT was actually an OK player for us, and since then he coached us to the third most successful era in the club's history. His contribution to the club should not be trivialised. That said he has been a bit of a dick since he was sacked.

I wish our club had a greater tradition of respecting not just our greats but every player, coach and clubman.

I'm glad we seem to be heading that way now - it just seems to be very late in the history of the club to suddenly realise how to create a rich culture of respect, appreciation, honour and an expectation to continue to uphold certain standards.

Cogito ergo sum Furtius Quo Rdelius
    gurubob101
    Club Player

Mackaysaint wrote:None of the other departures had the same effect as the loss of Plugger. I was gutted, absolutely gutted, when he was stolen from us.

Also I always regretted that Nicky Winmar didn't end his career with us
    Dr Spaceman wrote:

I know it was said sort of tongue in cheek, but GT was actually an OK player for us, and since then he coached us to the third most successful era in the club's history. His contribution to the club should not be trivialised. That said he has been a bit of a dick since he was sacked.

I wish our club had a greater tradition of respecting not just our greats but every player, coach and clubman.

I'm glad we seem to be heading that way now - it just seems to be very late in the history of the club to suddenly realise how to create a rich culture of respect, appreciation, honour and an expectation to continue to uphold certain standards.
    Interesting point Mackay Saint. I wonder how different things would be if we had a more glorious past. Clubs like Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon seem to feed off their historyof success . Their ex players seem to feel more connected to their former club... there's no substitute for a few premierships.

loris
    Saintsational Legend

Mackaysaint wrote:
    None of the other departures had the same effect as the loss of Plugger. I was gutted, absolutely gutted, when he was stolen from us.
    I was more gutted when Carl Ditterich left us for the Demons.................... that had every female supporter at that stage needing therapy. :cry: :cry:

Dr Spaceman
    Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
    Mackaysaint wrote:
    I was more gutted when Carl Ditterich left us for the Demons.................... that had every female supporter at that stage needing therapy. :cry: :cry:
    So it was his departure and not the ridiculous headband and hanky combo that sent you girls round the bend? :P

loris
    Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
    loris wrote:
    Mackaysaint wrote:
    So it was his departure and not the ridiculous headband and hanky combo that sent you girls round the bend? :P
    By that stage The Big Carl's blond locks were starting to thin out. I think the headband was an attempt to keep as much of his shedding locks on his head as possible. Think the hankie was to wipe the blood stains off his elbows when opposition players put their craniums on his elbows.

stinger
    Saintsational Legend

carl was one of the greatest players to wear our colours...enough said

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
    stinger
    Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
    Dr Spaceman wrote:
    loris wrote:
    Mackaysaint wrote:
    By that stage The Big Carl's blond locks were starting to thin out. I think the headband was an attempt to keep as much of his shedding locks on his head as possible. Think the hankie was to wipe the blood stains off his elbows when opposition players put their craniums on his elbows.
    nah...he was a gentleman..and a teacher....used the hankie to blow his nose whilst the filth and others with less class either picked theirs or blow their snot on the ground...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
    loris
    Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:carl was one of the greatest players to wear our colours...enough said
    Wasn't it sad when he applied for exemption from National Service. Boy oh boy he was painted in the press as practically commiting treason.

He had a legitimate excuse. If I recall correctly, he was the sole breadwinner for his parents. Both suffered from disabilities, one of them (think it was the mother) was totally blind and the father was on a disability pension.

I can't recall any of the lefties who were so vociferously anti- conscription and anti-Vietnam going into bat for Carl at the time, as they did for anyone else who tried to get exempted...................... he was just fair game for every one. Used to get white chicken feathers delivered to his home.

Really sad time for the big Carl lthen ..................... no wonder he shunned the media after that.

Bernard Shakey
    Saintsational Legend

Can also add McAdam and Fletcher to the pickups.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
    Bernard Shakey
    Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
    stinger wrote:carl was one of the greatest players to wear our colours...enough said
    Wasn't it sad when he applied for exemption from National Service. Boy oh boy he was painted in the press as practically commiting treason.

He had a legitimate excuse. If I recall correctly, he was the sole breadwinner for his parents. Both suffered from disabilities, one of them (think it was the mother) was totally blind and the father was on a disability pension.

I can't recall any of the lefties who were so vociferously anti- conscription and anti-Vietnam going into bat for Carl at the time, as they did for anyone else who tried to get exempted...................... he was just fair game for every one. Used to get white chicken feathers delivered to his home.

Really sad time for the big Carl lthen ..................... no wonder he shunned the media after that.
    His Dad was legally blind and he applied for deferral not exemption. Carl actually did his two years nasho.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
    BigMart
    Saintsational Legend

We picked McAdam up from central districts????

loris
    Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
    loris wrote:

His Dad was legally blind and he applied for deferral not exemption. Carl actually did his two years nasho.
    Thanks BS for helping out with my memory there................. knew it was one of his parents. Yep he did do nasho I know............... but did not have to serve o/s on account of his parents. Really distressing time I can remember for what Carl had to go thru.

A bit of history there for some of our younger supporters who did not know what it was like in days of yore.............. not all beer and skittles for footballers as was the saying in them days eh?