twilight game? response after first one?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:Monday nights on the other hand...... :evil:
So you'd prefer the Pies game to be on Mothers Day?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Saturday Night at the G would have been just peachy I reckon ;-) Let someone else be the propoganda tool for Monday Night Football

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SaintDebi
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
Absolutely. I'm a mum and couln't think of anything I'd rather be doing.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well my highly detailed analysis after attending on Sunday.

Twilight games suck!!!!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

a saint supporter in Print?
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 62,00.html
Late starts? Never on a Sunday
David Pougher May 10, 2009 12:00am
IT'S difficult to pinpoint what was most irritating about the twilight scheduling of St Kilda's game against the Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium last Sunday.

Trying to fill in the time after lunch and before the 4.40pm start was annoying - too short a time to do anything really constructive, but too long to just wander about town.

And because the crowd seemed smaller, there was a lessening in atmosphere.

Opinions on fan sites suggested a drop of about 6000.

We didn't much like getting home at 8.20pm, but were thankful that we didn't have far to go.

Think how hard it must have been for those with children heading out of town - and the key word in all this is children.

It was past 9pm when my son's light went out and I hoped he was too exhausted to realise he hadn't had a proper evening meal.

Past 9pm is too late for a child to go to bed on a Sunday. Like most seven-year-olds, my boy's weekend is frenetic and he's tired by Sunday afternoon.

He was still tired on Monday as he trudged to school.

And unless we ban twilight games - which I'm considering - last Sunday won't be an isolated occasion.

The Saints have five 4.40pm games, three of which are home fixtures, almost a third of the 10 games we have entry to through our family membership.

So who do these twilight games benefit? Not the clubs. They want as many supporters as possible at their games.

Certainly not the fans who have paid in advance and strive to get to as many fixtures as possible.

Who then? Presumably armchair fans, but if the AFL is happy to inconvenience supporters who do go to matches for the sake of those who don't, it's playing a dangerous game.

Surely we don't want to go the way of English Premier League soccer, where ordinary fans are less important than corporate boxes and TV deals.

And at the risk of sounding like Helen Lovejoy from The Simpsons, won't someone please think of the children?

Watching football live is a habit, but habits have to be formed and the AFL can't assume it owns the hearts and minds of young followers.

It has to win them and do it in the face of competition from an increasing number of attractions.

Will the AFL make it awkward for children to go to matches in West Sydney when it opens for business there?

Not if it has an ounce of sense. Fail to attract the children of West Sydney and you have no foundation to build on. Game over.

So why are we penalising children in the game's heartland?

Because the AFL takes them for granted? Because the broadcasters don't care? Probably a bit of both.

And it gets worse. Last week a twilight game against the Bullies, next a night game against the Magpies. Tomorrow night at 7.20.

Sorry son, you won't be going.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

the games names weigh in
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 61,00.html
Push to boot twilight football
Stephen Drill

May 10, 2009 12:00am
FOOTY greats, parents and principals are calling for an end to twilight footy matches because they are too late for children on a school night.

Melbourne Football Club president Jim Stynes, Brownlow medallist Bob Skilton, Tigers' premiership player Francis Bourke and Bulldogs' champion Doug Hawkins have called on the AFL to review its twilight fixture.

The Western Bulldogs hierarchy has also called for an end to twilight football because they say it is not good for families.
.....>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

BUT Gillon's holding firm
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html
THE AFL will experiment with more Monday night and Thursday night games next season as it seeks to lock in an extra time slot to accommodate the two new franchises. While AFL chief operating officer Gillon McLachlan said yesterday no decisions had been made on the 2010 draw, he revealed the league would keep trying out the new slots.

"We have obviously tried Thursday night to start the season, we've had a Saturday twilight in Tasmania, and now we're having a look at Monday night," McLachlan said.

"We are just looking and experimenting with some slots. These are good one-off events now and it gives us a bit of a look at a few different slots for the future.

"We haven't looked at the fixture (for 2010). But we might play a few more (Mondays and Thursdays) and in a couple of years we might be better placed to make a decision in regard to that."

Tomorrow night's Collingwood-St Kilda game at Etihad Stadium is the first Monday night game in three years - and the 14th overall.

Historically, it was thought to be the logical next time slot, given the popularity of NFL Monday night games in the US.

But the blockbuster start to the season this year on a Thursday night when 86,972 fans attended the Carlton-Richmond game has given it a kick along.

"We know that was exceptional circumstances with the Ben Cousins case, but the game was sold out and it rated incredibly well," McLachlan said.

"I don't know that we are saying that we would be having it every week or every second week, but it is a different product, and it worked well.

"We are confident that Monday night will work as well."

McLachlan said he expected a crowd of more than 40,000 at tomorrow night's clash.

"I'm going to the game and I'm confident it will work," he said.

"Monday night games are interesting as they change the structure of the week. Does it make the football week too long? I don't know, but it is something we will look at."

It is believed if the AFL does decide to run with more regular Monday night football when the Gold Coast and West Sydney come into the competition in 2011 and 2012 that all clubs would need to share the slot.

McLachlan said the AFL was buoyant about the future of twilight football, particularly its Sunday slot.

"From our perspective it works really well," he said.

"Different people have different views on it. But it is a good television slot and it is also a good attending slot."

McLachlan confirmed he had been meeting television networks in recent weeks, as preparations begin for the next broadcasting deal, but was loath to go into detail.

"We talk with our broadcasters all the time," he said. "We are in constant dialogue."

He said the concept of moving fixtures on a six-weekly basis, as the NRL does, was not something the AFL was seeking.

"We like the certainty of our fixtures, and we think our fans do, too," he said.

"We would never rule it out, but it is something that we are pretty adamant about because so many of our fans love to travel

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rice Paper
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:a saint supporter in Print?
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 62,00.html
Late starts? Never on a Sunday
David Pougher May 10, 2009 12:00am
IT'S difficult to pinpoint what was most irritating about the twilight scheduling of St Kilda's game against the Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium last Sunday.

Trying to fill in the time after lunch and before the 4.40pm start was annoying - too short a time to do anything really constructive, but too long to just wander about town.

And because the crowd seemed smaller, there was a lessening in atmosphere.

Opinions on fan sites suggested a drop of about 6000.

We didn't much like getting home at 8.20pm, but were thankful that we didn't have far to go.

Think how hard it must have been for those with children heading out of town - and the key word in all this is children.

It was past 9pm when my son's light went out and I hoped he was too exhausted to realise he hadn't had a proper evening meal.

Past 9pm is too late for a child to go to bed on a Sunday. Like most seven-year-olds, my boy's weekend is frenetic and he's tired by Sunday afternoon.

He was still tired on Monday as he trudged to school.

And unless we ban twilight games - which I'm considering - last Sunday won't be an isolated occasion.

The Saints have five 4.40pm games, three of which are home fixtures, almost a third of the 10 games we have entry to through our family membership.

So who do these twilight games benefit? Not the clubs. They want as many supporters as possible at their games.

Certainly not the fans who have paid in advance and strive to get to as many fixtures as possible.

Who then? Presumably armchair fans, but if the AFL is happy to inconvenience supporters who do go to matches for the sake of those who don't, it's playing a dangerous game.

Surely we don't want to go the way of English Premier League soccer, where ordinary fans are less important than corporate boxes and TV deals.

And at the risk of sounding like Helen Lovejoy from The Simpsons, won't someone please think of the children?

Watching football live is a habit, but habits have to be formed and the AFL can't assume it owns the hearts and minds of young followers.

It has to win them and do it in the face of competition from an increasing number of attractions.

Will the AFL make it awkward for children to go to matches in West Sydney when it opens for business there?

Not if it has an ounce of sense. Fail to attract the children of West Sydney and you have no foundation to build on. Game over.

So why are we penalising children in the game's heartland?

Because the AFL takes them for granted? Because the broadcasters don't care? Probably a bit of both.

And it gets worse. Last week a twilight game against the Bullies, next a night game against the Magpies. Tomorrow night at 7.20.

Sorry son, you won't be going.
I understand what poeple are saying but I wish people will just state this is their opinion and try not to state they speak for everyone.

Twilight football might not be for everyone, but it is a much better time slot for me than Saturday Afternoon. Do people realise how many people actually work on Saturdays now? Have you been to Chadstone or Bunnings or your local shopping centre on Saturdays lately? It is chockers and people have to work to keep these wheels turning.

ABC radio mentioned the last 4 times the Saints and Bulldogs played and so I've checked my footy record for the crowd sizes and they are very consistant and not so different from the crowd that turned up on Sunday twilight.

W Bulldogs 1.2 6.6 11.9 19.11 (125)
St Kilda 7.3 9.6 10.8 13.9 (87)
GOALS: W Bulldogs: J.Akermanis 3, M.Hahn 3, R.Griffen 3, J.Harbrow 2, A.Cooney 2, J.Hill 2, S.Welsh, C.Wight, R.Murphy, W.Minson
St Kilda: J.Koschitzke 3, S.Milne 2, N.Riewoldt 2, L.Ball 2, J.Gram, L.Montagna, A.Schneider, F.Gehrig
BEST:W Bulldogs: A.Cooney, D.Cross, R.Griffen, D.Giansiracusa, L.Gilbee, M.Boyd, S.West, B.Hudson, J.Akermanis, T.Callan, R.Murphy, J.Hill, R.Hargrave
St Kilda: S.Fisher, N.Dal Santo, A.Schneider, L.Montagna, B.Goddard, J.Gram, R.Harvey
Crowd: 38,667 at Etihad Stadium on Friday, 4th April. 2008

St Kilda 3.6 4.7 5.9 11.13 (79)
W Bulldogs 2.0 7.5 11.13 15.16 (106)
GOALS: St Kilda: J.Gram 2, N.Riewoldt 2, C.Jones 2, N.Dal Santo, S.Birss, S.Milne, L.Hayes, J.Blake
W Bulldogs: J.Akermanis 6, D.Giansiracusa 4, F.Ray, C.Ward, R.Griffen, T.Williams, S.Welsh
BEST:St Kilda: J.Gram, N.Dal Santo, S.Fisher, L.Ball, C.Jones, B.Goddard, A.Schneider, L.Hayes
W Bulldogs: M.Boyd, A.Cooney, D.Addison, J.Akermanis, L.Gilbee, D.Giansiracusa, R.Hargrave, D.Cross, B.Johnson, N.Eagleton, R.Griffen, B.Lake, D.Morris, F.Ray
Crowd: 38,914 at Etihad Stadium on Sunday, 8th June. 2008

St Kilda 6.3 7.7 12.10 17.14 (116)
W Bulldogs 2.2 3.6 6.10 9.12 (66)
GOALS: St Kilda: N.Riewoldt 4, S.Milne 3, J.Koschitzke 2, J.Gram, X.Clarke, L.Montagna, B.Goddard, F.Gehrig, C.Jones, J.Blake, R.Harvey
W Bulldogs: B.Johnson 3, S.Power 2, A.Cooney 2, L.Darcy, D.Addison
BEST:St Kilda: S.Baker, B.Goddard, R.Harvey, J.Gram, N.Dal Santo, L.Montagna, A.Thompson, L.Fisher, A.Fiora, L.Hayes, N.Riewoldt
W Bulldogs: D.Cross, S.West, J.McMahon, M.Boyd, N.Eagleton, R.Hargrave, D.Morris
Crowd: 38,474 at Etihad Stadium on Saturday, 14th April. 2007

W Bulldogs 4.5 6.9 7.11 12.13 (85)
St Kilda 3.3 8.4 10.9 12.13 (85)
GOALS: W Bulldogs: D.Giansiracusa 4, W.Skipper 2, J.Akermanis, M.Boyd, A.Cooney, C.Grant, B.Johnson, A.Everitt
St Kilda: N.Riewoldt 3, J.Gram 2, J.Koschitzke 2, J.Blake, A.Fiora, L.Montagna, X.Clarke, S.Milne
BEST:W Bulldogs: S.West, M.Boyd, R.Murphy, R.Hargrave, A.Cooney, S.Power, T.Williams, J.McMahon, C.Grant, D.Giansiracusa
St Kilda: S.Gilbert, L.Hayes, L.Fisher, N.Riewoldt, L.Montagna, S.Fisher, J.Gram
Crowd: 33,600 at Etihad Stadium on Friday, 3rd August. 2007

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Historically, it was thought to be the logical next time slot, given the popularity of NFL Monday night games in the US.
I will fair dinkum vomit the next time someone uses this argument in support of Monday night games.

The sport-attending culture of the USA and Australia couldnt be more different if we were on adjacent planets :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
stairwaytoheaven
Club Player

Twilight games are out of the question for us. We have a 5 and a half turn around trip and it would be to hard for the kids and us to go school and work the next day. The story that was wriiten in the Sun today just sums it up for us and really as i have said before our membership is a real donation as we may only get to one game because of our committments with our three secondary school kids and their sports.