Schneider

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:I've been waiting for a Schneider thread because there seems to be a few quite willing to pot him, calling for him to be dropped.

Now I'm not a member of the 'Schneider Cult' but whilst I agree he can play better I don't believe he's been all that bad. He tackles, he chases and when he does have the ball running into goal he seems to always give the ball off to a player in a better position to kick the goal if there's one there.

This is a trait that hasn't been reciprocated, Milne being the primary culprit. By my memory of the games played to date Milne could have given off to Schneider on at least 3 separate occasions, guaranteeing a goal (I believe Milne kicked two of those three). I bring this up because if you add these goals to Schneider's assists then his output would be on par or above.

I also believe that with Schneider in the side Milne's work rate has improved, (healthy competition). Milne's tackling is better and both work hard up on to the wing to present.

Personally I think that if Schneider is the worst player in our 22 then we are in a very strong position and motoring along nicely.
agree with your comments....those doubting schneider should go through the tape and see just how many goals he has a hand in.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Schneider

saintsRrising wrote:Well based on the MB record for "off with their heads" for your perceived poor performers (Lyon, CJ , Gardiner....) I am sure that Schneider will be valuable contributor...

Personally I think with Schneider in the team that Milne's load has been eased somehwat as he is no longer the only small forward that our opponents have to worry about.

Different players have kick bags each week.. This is making us harder to stop as opposition coaches can no longer simply play extr men back on one or two players to dry up the St Kilda goals.
I am not calling for Schneider's head.

My point here is that we currently have at least three smallish players - X, Eddy and Armo - sitting in the stands who all have claims to selection in our top 22. Fringe players like CJ, Geary and McQualter all appreciate this and are currently playing like their lives depended on it.

Meanwhile, according to what I have seen (admittedly, on TV) and the published stats (which, I acknowledge can be misleading), Schneider's output has been low:

An average of 12.5 possessions per game, which puts him below everyone except the ruckmen and Zac.

3 goals in 4 games: putting him below several non-forwards in BJ, Gardi, Dal and CJ. Milne, by comparison, has kicked 9. (Schneider has also been credited with two goal assists. I'm not really sure what these stats mean: anyway, Geary and McQualter, among others, are well ahead of him on this rating).

14 tackles in 4 games: about average among our smaller players.

So, as has been the case in the past both at Sydney and now at the Sainters, Schneider has continued to display the characteristics of being neither fish nor fowl: he's either a crumber who only scores a relatively small number of goals or a midfielder who manages to get only a relatively small number of possessions.

Now, I'm prepared to accept that - when the TV cameras are pointing elsewhere - he might be doing lots of blocking, one percenters and other things not recorded by the statistics. I'm sceptical about this, but I accept that it can't be ruled out.

Alternatively - and this is what I suspect to be the case - Schneider is a skilled player who (because of injury or lack of grunt) hasn't got the fitness to undertake the workload of a top AFL player.

Which perhaps explains why the Swans made the puzzling decision to trade him and an above average GOP (if that's not a contradiction in terms) in the form of Dempster as a job lot for a second round draft pick.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Stats (I know you acknowledged they can be misleading) can be very cruel. In this case I'm a little surprised he's only had two assists, I thought it would have been more (somewhere around 5), my eyes must be failing or he's given the 2nd to last assist (if that makes sense).

12 goals between Milne and Schneider plus a load of forward pressure...not a bad combination. As I mentioned earlier, Milne could have dished off 2 of his 9 (plus another that he snapped a point from) to Schneider but chose to take the snaps. If he had then it's 6 to Schneider and 7 to Milne, probably a fairer indication and reward for workrate inside our 50.

Hopefully by season's end Schneider has 40 and Milne has 60 which will be a very handy small man's 100. Not really too fussed though as long as we continue to kick 15+ a game and have them spread amongst many.

Not sure Eddy has claims to be in our best 22 atm. Armo certainly doesn't and X is smashing at the door but as you rightly pointed out CJ, Geary & McQualter are keeping him at bay. I'm also not convinced Eddy, Armo or X could play Schneider's role. I believe X and Eddy are being held out by Geary and McQualter and Armo by form and fitness atm.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:I'm also not convinced Eddy, Armo or X could play Schneider's role.
I think X could play the role of a crumbing small forward, and would apply more pressure through tackles, etc. than does Schneider.

I agree about the others: Eddy is an average player IMO and Armo has really been something of a disappointment so far.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
markp
Saintsational Legend

I'm happy with him, for reasons already mentioned... and I recall a few games against us when he popped up and broke our hearts with 2 or 3 quick goals.... *dreams of him doing a Dew in the 2009 Grand Final*

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote:
Ghost Like wrote:I'm also not convinced Eddy, Armo or X could play Schneider's role.
I think X could play the role of a crumbing small forward, and would apply more pressure through tackles, etc. than does Schneider.

I agree about the others: Eddy is an average player IMO and Armo has really been something of a disappointment so far.
This is the question I think we ought ask - who replaces him and do they add more?

Currently, Schneider isn't getting the personal results (statsheet and goals), but he's fulfilling a role. Is there someone who could do both? I actually think no (and I'm not a member of the cult).

X is apparently teraing up the V, but it's not as a forward flanker, it's as a true mid (apparently, haven't seen ANY of it, so inferring heavily). Schneider's forward pressure and intangibles have been fine, so throwing in X here is no real plus, as the role will cost X a lot of the touches that are making him BOG in the 2s. Schneider's getting few opportunities to kick for goal as Kosi, Reiwoldt and Milne are splitting the majority with plenty of chip in from the mids... and if I have a choice between Schneider or X (or just about anyone else) with a low number of opportunities, I'll take Schneider.

I want X in, but I don't know that Schneider's the guy for it (and I don't know who it is, great problem to have, and glad it's not my decision).

I think we just ride it out, and look for him to hit some form. Schneider's probably in the bottom 6 right now, but it's not a bad time to be there, and tells you a bit about how well the Saints are travelling that he is.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

From the game I saw..X is playing asa mid.

Yes he can play asa small forward...but Schneider has so far demonstraed that he is more suited to the role..and hasa better goal-kicking knack.

Also as some one noted (apologies as I do not recall exactly which poster) X while playing ok...is noted working realyREALLY hard and appears to be cruisnga bit.

He needs to deliver the workrate that those in the 22 are currently achieving.

However as mentioned by me this week if Kosi is out injury then with it being a night game at a stadium with no roof..and currently with rain forecast for that day...I would have no issue in bringing in X for Kosi.

For the expected conditions we do not need a super tall team.

I would not be swapping X for Schneider though at present.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

There's a few types around hell-bent on cracking Schneider open, but we've been through the motions on this before.

I'm loving how many goals he's been involved in indirectly this season even if he hasn't had loads of ball. Wish he had more of it, but I think his off-the-ball workrate and decoy running is very important.

Not a worry for now. I'm an equally big X fan as I am for Schneider, but after two thumping wins, there's no need just yet for the switch.

If he has a shocker next week, perhaps it's worth a look.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

didn't he miss most of pre-season so being nursed back like Lenny?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:didn't he miss most of pre-season so being nursed back like Lenny?
Yes he had a very interrupted pre-season and will get better. From memory he might not even have had one practice match....

Just as Roo had an interrupted pre-season...and is only now starting to get match fit.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Can improve (who can't?) but easily holding his place. His off ball work is great.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:I've been waiting for a Schneider thread because there seems to be a few quite willing to pot him, calling for him to be dropped.

Now I'm not a member of the 'Schneider Cult' but whilst I agree he can play better I don't believe he's been all that bad. He tackles, he chases and when he does have the ball running into goal he seems to always give the ball off to a player in a better position to kick the goal if there's one there.

This is a trait that hasn't been reciprocated, Milne being the primary culprit. By my memory of the games played to date Milne could have given off to Schneider on at least 3 separate occasions, guaranteeing a goal (I believe Milne kicked two of those three). I bring this up because if you add these goals to Schneider's assists then his output would be on par or above.

I also believe that with Schneider in the side Milne's work rate has improved, (healthy competition). Milne's tackling is better and both work hard up on to the wing to present.

Personally I think that if Schneider is the worst player in our 22 then we are in a very strong position and motoring along nicely.
i agree. i have been watching schneider closely this year - partly because i cant figure out myself whether hes any good or not - and partly because he seems to polarise fans. So i thought i should try and form my own opinion.

i reckon hes not bad. hes not great - but he seems to have been working his backside off. he does work hard and run hard into position and is a good tackler and he does not mind the hard ball. for a little fella hes above average overhead.

i think hes a good compliment for milnety because they seem to have different strengths and weaknessed. schneids has a longer kick and is better overhead than milney but kicks less goals.

he certainly hold his spot in my opinion. but agree hes in our lower half of players.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Runs hard, good decoy as mentioned and most critically lays tackles. Keeps the tackling up, keeps his spot . Not everyone has to be starring and kicking 4 goals a game to be worthy of their spot.