New players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Anybody else think L.Fisher is in line for round 1?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Anybody else think L.Fisher is in line for round 1?
From what i've seen he's ahead of Mini and Jones.

To the top
SS Life Member

In my view Gilbert is the long term full back - a bit taller than Max at 194cm v 191cm but similar build with similar closing speed and a similar ability to get a spoiling fist on the ball from unlikely positions - and both can tackle very effectively.

Very, very competative as is Max.

Both can be a little suspect with disposal but Gilbert is at the start of his career and Max is approaching the end.

I can see Gilbert making full back his own for many years - and have seen him as the heir apparant at full back since a televised VFL game before he played an AFL game - and then in what he has done at AFL level from game 1.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

whats the story with shneider?

Injured?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:My recall was that Max had an exceptional first year in 1997, copped a longer term injury late (4 weeks or so) and returned just before or during the finals.

Leaving Shanahan on D. Jarman was a matter of debate because Max was the obvious alternative defender to take D. Jarman - and that move not being made as soon as D. Jarman had a couple in the last quarter was probably costly - Alves had to defend the decision to leave Shanahan on D. Jarman.

Hardly an average first couple of years by Hudgden because that was the regard he was held in as a first-year player in 1997.

Gilbert's development is mirroring Max except that Gilbert can play forward as well.
max was a third tall backman behind shannas and wakelin. I guess I was suggesting that even starting out in his 20's max wasn't the first choice full back. zac is about the same age and is starting to show similar signs (but as a third tall back).

Sorry for bringing up 97 :oops:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Based on what i've seen so far this year (2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters of the bulldogs match, and 2nd half of the brisbane game), , our ins and outs from the Hawks final will be:

Out:
Harvey
Fiora
Gwilt
Jones
Schneider
Hudghton

In:
Ball
Ray
L Fisher
Steven
Dawson
Baker
well put. Do not rule out max as maxy always starts out looking like he will miss round 1.

Must say apart from max the ins with another pre-season is a much better improvement. It's a toss up between begley and fish with x to maybe suprise.

FQF
In richo I trust

saintbob
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:Based on what i've seen so far this year (2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters of the bulldogs match, and 2nd half of the brisbane game), , our ins and outs from the Hawks final will be:

Out:
Harvey
Fiora
Gwilt
Jones
Schneider
Hudghton

In:
Ball
Ray
L Fisher
Steven
Dawson
Baker

Your kidding aren't you!!!

Jones, Schneider and Hudghton(if fit ) will all still be in the side.

Mini is the real obvious out.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:

Out:
Harvey
Fiora
Gwilt
Jones
Schneider
Hudghton

In:
Ball
Ray
L Fisher
Steven
Dawson
Baker

Your kidding aren't you!!!

Mini is the real obvious out.[/quote

I think Schneider is like Max, being that he may not be fit enough to play round one.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

does schneider actually still exist?

FQF
In richo I trust

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

No-one seems to know :shock:

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Your kidding aren't you!!!

Mini is the real obvious out.
Schneider and Hudghton are certainties if fit.

Jones has had a pretty unimpressive couple of weeks, and may lose his spot to Jack Steven. Remember that Bakes is back in the side, too.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Little surprised how much Dawson is being speculated as an in even if Max is out (though time has taught me that when it comes to the lineup, don't doubt plugger66!)... I'd have thought that even without Max and Goose, between Blake, Sam Fisher, Gilbert and Raph that we'd have the tall side of defense looked after (isn't this why we're doubtful that even if fit Goose would come back in?)... I realise we're playing with Gilbert up forward, but are we really better off with Gilbert up forward and Dawson is than we would be with Gilbert down back and someone like Nick Heyne, Jack Steven, Tom Lynch or Ben McEvoy getting a go?

Especially McEvoy for mine... in year 1, games played will directly impact on salary in year 2, so unless they're solidly in the best 22, first year players will often get blooded and little more, so a Ben McEvoy is more likely to get a solid look if he looks up to it.

Heyne is the other one who intrigues me. I've only seen him in the intrasquad and the Brisbane game, and other than already having the body for it, he appears to be an "X factor" type. In both games he made some gaffs to go along with some quality play, but game time might well be the thing that knocks that out and settles him down.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Clearly Eddy wont be there from last years Prelim final also..

Would think (hope) that Eddy, Mini and CJ have much more competition this year for spots, primarily from X, Ray, Steven, Conners... Hopefully Heyne too...

Lynch looks like he's a while away, but a couple of good performances in the 2's and you never know...

Either way, fierce competition for spots is a great thing.... There a should only be about 12-14 certainties each week, and the rest are a toss up...

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Eddy and Geary seem to be missing men on Saintsational. Eddy will obviously be missing, but Geary has been playing well and will probably play round 1.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Eddy and Geary seem to be missing men on Saintsational. Eddy will obviously be missing, but Geary has been playing well and will probably play round 1.
Though remember that the OP was mainly about new players..and both played senior fooball in 2008.

And yes Geary may have snuck back in front of Eddy and others....

But then again Ball, Baker and X will all be pushing hard from amongst the not-so-new players as well...all in postions that Geary could play in as well.

The other one of course is Armitage.

The Round 1 team would appear to havea lot of players pushing hard for it and there will be half a dozen or so players that will be stiff to mis out.

King, Gardi and Kosi....maybe only 2 will play.

Ball, X, Geary, Armo, Geary, Ray, Eddy, CJ, Baker .....and then the young Steven & Eljay. They will not all fit and so somewill miss!!!! Ball is a certainty along with Dal, Hayes and Joey, and you would imagine Ray and X are very likely. BJ, Gram and Sam to all take some midfield time as well.

Talls down back in Blake, Max and Zac...all may play or just two. Blake hada very good 2008 and so I could not imagine him not being in the 22. Max will only not play if not fit. Maguire would seem to not be ripe and fit yet.

Schneider??? If fit you would imagine RL wil play him...but has not been in the action???

Gilbert up forward would seem likely to keep Heyne out for now.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....