CEO candidates?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

the shadow wrote: Is it true that "objects in the rear view mirror appear closer than they are?"
NO, objects in the rear view mirror are closer than they appear. And, the more you look the closer they appear !!
Last edited by Eastern on Thu 26 Feb 2009 1:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

the shadow wrote:Nothing to do with it Plugger66? Grant and Brian good friends? Where do you get your information? Do you post this stuff just to be contrary? Unbelievable! Surely you are kidding!
I post the truth. You are posting lies if you think that Waldren left because of any issue with GT.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Candidates/Targets

(within football ranks)

1. Andrew Ireland - Sydney
2. Geoff Walsh - current Collingwood football mgr, previous NM CEO

(outside AFL football ranks)

1. Danny Corcoran - Athletics Aust CEO, former Essendon & Melbourne football manager
2. Peter Schwab - current Football Victoria CEO

Don't know of any in the 'real' world outside of football. I am sure there would be plenty of great candidates out there.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

LennyBoy wrote:Neil Balme?

:roll:

Heard that last night.
I nearly suggested Neil Balme on my list above.....he knows his football and is a good communicator, but I don't think he is CEO material.

I think I heard him say on SEN once that he is at his correct station as a football manager.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:

Heard that last night.
I nearly suggested Neil Balme on my list above.....he knows his football and is a good communicator, but I don't think he is CEO material.

I think I heard him say on SEN once that he is at his correct station as a football manager.

that's because he is as thick as a brick....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
the shadow
Club Player

Clearly SENsational and plugger66, neither of you were close to the situation as it unfolded. One of the main reasons that BW was brought before the board was to do with conflict with GT. It was GT's maneuvering and lack of support for BW that led to his downfall. I don't know where you get your information from, but I hope it's not the spin doctors at the club who tried to cover up the whole sorry mess. If you know why a successful CEO, possibly the best we ever had, was sacked, please let us know. I'm sure everyone would be keen to know why the Board took such radical and premature action. (When I wrote "scuffle", it wasn't meant in the literal, physical sense. I meant they had a very strong, some would say vitriolic argument over a particularly sensitive situation.)

BTW plugger66 have you spoken to BW about the role? You know for sure he's not coming back, or won't be offered the job? How so? Or is it a case, pluggger66, of you again writing the first thing that comes into your head without consideration for the facts, or the English language. Your grammar, spelling, and syntax confirm your illiteracy. I hope you are about 8 years old, as any grade three student would be ashamed to put their name to your illiterate rants.

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

the shadow wrote:Clearly SENsational and plugger66, neither of you were close to the situation as it unfolded. One of the main reasons that BW was brought before the board was to do with conflict with GT. It was GT's maneuvering and lack of support for BW that led to his downfall. I don't know where you get your information from, but I hope it's not the spin doctors at the club who tried to cover up the whole sorry mess. If you know why a successful CEO, possibly the best we ever had, was sacked, please let us know. I'm sure everyone would be keen to know why the Board took such radical and premature action. (When I wrote "scuffle", it wasn't meant in the literal, physical sense. I meant they had a very strong, some would say vitriolic argument over a particularly sensitive situation.)

BTW plugger66 have you spoken to BW about the role? You know for sure he's not coming back, or won't be offered the job? How so? Or is it a case, pluggger66, of you again writing the first thing that comes into your head without consideration for the facts, or the English language. Your grammar, spelling, and syntax confirm your illiteracy. I hope you are about 8 years old, as any grade three student would be ashamed to put their name to your illiterate rants.
Yes, clearly I wasn't. :roll:

As I said, BW left due to dealings in the boardroom. Dealings. In the Boardroom. Read between the lines. GT may have been happy to see BW go. But GT was not the reason BW went.

yipper
SS Life Member

SENsaintsational wrote:
the shadow wrote:Clearly SENsational and plugger66, neither of you were close to the situation as it unfolded. One of the main reasons that BW was brought before the board was to do with conflict with GT. It was GT's maneuvering and lack of support for BW that led to his downfall. I don't know where you get your information from, but I hope it's not the spin doctors at the club who tried to cover up the whole sorry mess. If you know why a successful CEO, possibly the best we ever had, was sacked, please let us know. I'm sure everyone would be keen to know why the Board took such radical and premature action. (When I wrote "scuffle", it wasn't meant in the literal, physical sense. I meant they had a very strong, some would say vitriolic argument over a particularly sensitive situation.)

Yes, clearly I wasn't. :roll:

As I said, BW left due to dealings in the boardroom. Dealings. In the Boardroom. Read between the lines. GT may have been happy to see BW go. But GT was not the reason BW went.
No, but GT was the most vocal in expressing his displeasure at the situation. Remember that GT was in thick with the board at THAT time!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
the shadow
Club Player

Well I was close to the situation and I can tell you for a fact GT was a major player in BW's downfall. GT was also the reason the HR manager at the time, Brian Phelan, was given the heave-ho six months prior to the expiration of his contract. Why? Because he dared to support and speak up for BW. That's why. You look through the list of those axed under GT. They all had one thing in common. They all dared to criticise GT and his god-like status. They were all perceived as threats to GT. Ask Nathan Burke and
Terry Daniher why they left, or were moved on. I could go on. As the song goes, "If you knew GT, like I know GT............"

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Yes. GT was disappointed in the actions that led to the removal of BW. GT also was disappointed to lose BW.

Interestingly, it is a similar 'action' that led to the falling out of GT and RB.

My point is that the 'actions' that led to BW leaving were of his own making. It was not some excuse that GT used to finally get rid of his nemesis. BW's position became untenable because of his actions.

The board made the final call.

yipper
SS Life Member

SENsaintsational wrote:Yes. GT was disappointed in the actions that led to the removal of BW. GT also was disappointed to lose BW.

Interestingly, it is a similar 'action' that led to the falling out of GT and RB.

My point is that the 'actions' that led to BW leaving were of his own making. It was not some excuse that GT used to finally get rid of his nemesis. BW's position became untenable because of his actions.

The board made the final call.
Correct - however, I wonder if GT hadn't cracked it so bad, whether or not BW would have had to go. The club may well have steered itself out of that one somehow. Just a quiet word may have done the trick!! We'll never know unfortunately.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Sol Trujillo (who has just become available) or Bozo the Clown - although it is difficult to tell them apart - with all due respects to Mr Bozo.
I think Bozo is better qualified

the shadow
Club Player

Well said Yipper! Exactly right. The whole thing could've been sorted out amicably. Opportunity knocked, and the great opportunist pounced! As I have said about GT before, "You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time. I acknowledge your rational analysis SENsational, and from in from the outside your assumptions are not unreasonable. However, there was a lot more to it than met the eye. GT has priors for doing the same wherever he has been. Do you ever wonder why a man of GT's enormous talent and vision (by his own admission) was not snapped up by another organisation upon leaving St Kilda?

As his position at St Kilda was a very public one, his behaviour was exposed and he finally ran out of chances. What his time at St Kilda also did was damage his chances in the employment market. It's a pretty small world out there and he has burnt/blown up more bridges than a WW2 demolition expert. Word travels fast, especially at the upper end of the market.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

the shadow wrote:I acknowledge your rational analysis SENsational, and from in from the outside your assumptions are not unreasonable.
Who said I was making assumptions? And who said I was on the 'outside'?

BW is a good bloke. I like him alot. But he caused his own downfall. His actions caused it all to happen.

As for GT. Power struggles for sure. Yes on Burke. Yes on Daniher. Don't know about Phelan. You missed Chris Jones in there also. GT is not a cleanskin, no doubt.

But in the case of BW leaving, BW himself caused his own downfall....not backroom plotting by GT.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:

Heard that last night.

Neil Balme :shock: :shock: :shock:

You are kidding right? give him football operations but he's not a CEO....but then again...Eddie was the CEO of Channel 9 - and we all saw how that finished.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:

Heard that last night.

Neil Balme :shock: :shock: :shock:

You are kidding right? give him football operations but he's not a CEO....but then again...Eddie was the CEO of Channel 9 - and we all saw how that finished.
Er, that would be why I said "I don't think he is CEO material". You quoted me.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

this is surely a candidate for post of the year...... :wink: :wink: :lol:...re plugger that is......not sensational....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

boardroom or bedroom.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

You say you have knowledge of what happened but I am afraid you are wrong. GT was upset with what BW did as he was upset with what Rod Buttress did. He is a good family man GT there can be no doubt.

You clearly have no knowledge of what happened so you then have a go at me about grammer and spelling. Well that really upsets me that a wordsmith with no knowledge of events has to resort to crap like that.

I will treat future posts from you as comedy as there is no actual truth in what you write.

jackal
Club Player

Um guys, you have missed the obvious one here and one who may be available (Cook is untouchable you would suspect).
Trevor Nisbett from over here in WA is one of the best operators in the country and may wish leave after the crap he has had to deal with. In fact you could even argue that the Eagles rate him that highly that he has retained his position even after the Cousins fiasco and a host of other issues.
We should encourage Trevor to apply as he may be tempted for a change of scenery and as much as I dislike the Eagles, they are the best run franchise in the AFL (argument based on the fact that they are one of the few teams who have successfully rebuilt after winning a flag to win another).

This is a great opportunity for the club and will most likely be the most significant decision to influence the clubs fortunes going forward. I hope we choose wisely!

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

jackal wrote:Um guys, you have missed the obvious one here and one who may be available (Cook is untouchable you would suspect).
Trevor Nisbett from over here in WA is one of the best operators in the country and may wish leave after the crap he has had to deal with. In fact you could even argue that the Eagles rate him that highly that he has retained his position even after the Cousins fiasco and a host of other issues.
Huh? you say he is great then refer to his Cousins fiasco?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If we could pinch one though, who would it be? 8-)

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:If we could pinch one though, who would it be? 8-)
Brian Cook
or
Greg Swan

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Fascinating.

3 big club "insiders" slug it out.

Shadows/Sensational agree on 1 point - GT was a snake.

Plugger says - hes just a good old family man.

Im going with what I saw often and what Ive seen from the "corporate type" before.

No to just a "good family bloke"

Guys a slug - and yep.....hardly been "head hunted" for high profile jobs since he left - at that end of the market your reputation gets you jobs....Im afraid cats outta the bag for Grant.

“Yeah….nah””
the shadow
Club Player

I never pick on clearly stupid people. In your case though, it's easy to make an exception. It's spelt grammar BTW. What gives you the right to accuse me of lying when you don't know who I am, or what my connection to the club is? You simply don't know whether I'm lying or not. Your illiteracy and stupidity is no defence to the offensive garbage you regularly post on here.

Your reputation for simply abusing others with whom you disagree is well known. I've never accused you of lying even though much of what you say is preposterous. I do know for a fact that you are an ill-tempered, ill-informed, illiterate buffoon. My opinion of you and what you say is based on empirical evidence. Your comments are simply infantile rants. I feel sorry for you. I know it must be frustrating being stupid. One thing you will understand is the lack of support for the crap you posted. But maybe not.....

If you don't like my posts, you are free not to read them. Treat them as comedy, whatever that means to you. I'll try and throw in some fart jokes so you can at least comprehend something. You wouldn't understand what I write about anyway, as I use words with more than one syllable. You clearly lack the ability to distil meaning from what others write. I'd be relieved to know that I'm not wasting my time writing for, and engaging someone like you. It's just no fun picking on defenceless creatures. I wait with baited breath for your next amazingly witty and well crafted reply. I've got a few decades. Don't stay up all night. Adios.