Fiora admits to being too soft....kudos....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:without sounding rude he just seems like a soft human being...perhaps a floater who couldnt stand up for himself at all

perhaps a pussy...nothing to do with his football ability either
dunno about him being a soft human being......that's a bit harsh IMO....just he didn't have the mental hardness to play AFL footy as well as his ability allowed.

Let's be happy he was cut off even though he had a year to run on his contract.

I don't think anyone is too unhappy that he's been cut and paid out.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:without sounding rude he just seems like a soft human being...perhaps a floater who couldnt stand up for himself at all

dunno about him being a soft human being......that's a bit harsh IMO....just he didn't have the mental hardness to play AFL footy as well as his ability allowed.

Let's be happy he was cut off even though he had a year to run on his contract.

I don't think anyone is too unhappy that he's been cut and paid out.
he seems like a genuine softy...nothing to do with the mental hardness to play afl either

the one quote that stood out was when he kept on thinking of possible responses to the coaching panel after his delisting...in his car...

your position is questioned...say nothing???

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I get a much different read to most from that article.

I dont think the guy lacks heart at all and I think he "wanted it" but the last paragraph where he mentioned Ross saying the coaches probably had more belief in him than he did himself said it all to me - the guy NEEDED to believe he was talented and belonged at that level in the same room as Jarryn Geary or as Rob Harvey.

I dont think Fiora understood what Lyon was getting at when Fiora asked why did they p!ss him off if they believed in him....I think Ross and the coaches probably did believe but came to the realisation that Aaron was never going to believe in himself...and thus get the best from himself. Thats bigger than footy so I hope he does get some help and eventually learn to "fire something back" cause we all need to at times. That doesnt mean hes a coward though.

Such a mental game.

Well done on 140 game Aaron - EVERYONE on this forum can only dream of whats it like to have run outin RWB and do what you did.

“Yeah….nah””
saintly_safes
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:Just proves what many of us always thought of Fiora... didn't want it enough & wasn't prepared to work hard enough to get it anyway.

A wasted talent & a great example to kids coming into AFL clubs of what not to do.

You had you chances Fizz & didn't take them. Probably lucky to get to 140 games IMO.
I am really amazed that he never followed the pre season schedule until 2008 . What was he thinking ? Was he above that ?If I was as talented as Aaron I would be doing everything possible to put myself in a position to nail a regular game in the ones & prolong my afl career.Its like he just thought it wont happen to me.I would have given my right arm to be blessed with his ability as a footballer but sometimes you dont realise what youve got till its gone.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't be the first footballer unable to reach his potential, and won't be the last...

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saintly_safes wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:Just proves what many of us always thought of Fiora... didn't want it enough & wasn't prepared to work hard enough to get it anyway.

A wasted talent & a great example to kids coming into AFL clubs of what not to do.

You had you chances Fizz & didn't take them. Probably lucky to get to 140 games IMO.
I am really amazed that he never followed the pre season schedule until 2008 . What was he thinking ? Was he above that ?If I was as talented as Aaron I would be doing everything possible to put myself in a position to nail a regular game in the ones & prolong my afl career.Its like he just thought it wont happen to me.I would have given my right arm to be blessed with his ability as a footballer but sometimes you dont realise what youve got till its gone.
point seen however everyone has natural talents that one takes for granted...never really sees as something that could be part of or a driving force in career....imo

saintly_safes
Club Player

Teflon wrote:I get a much different read to most from that article.

I dont think the guy lacks heart at all and I think he "wanted it" but the last paragraph where he mentioned Ross saying the coaches probably had more belief in him than he did himself said it all to me - the guy NEEDED to believe he was talented and belonged at that level in the same room as Jarryn Geary or as Rob Harvey.

I dont think Fiora understood what Lyon was getting at when Fiora asked why did they p!ss him off if they believed in him....I think Ross and the coaches probably did believe but came to the realisation that Aaron was never going to believe in himself...and thus get the best from himself. Thats bigger than footy so I hope he does get some help and eventually learn to "fire something back" cause we all need to at times. That doesnt mean hes a coward though.

Such a mental game.

Well done on 140 game Aaron - EVERYONE on this forum can only dream of whats it like to have run outin RWB and do what you did.
A great post ,one of the best ive read on this site

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Like most footballers seems like a good guy just wasnt able to bridge the gap to stardom. 140 games is a great effort.

saintly_safes
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:

point seen however everyone has natural talents that one takes for granted...never really sees as something that could be part of or a driving force in career....imo
Unfortunately I was never blessed with real natural talent. I was a trier but never reached the dizzy heights of even being considered as a late round draft pick never mind get to a first round pick. I suppose its hard to be too critical of him because we can only presume that he should have gone further but as you have said sometimes it takes alot more than natural talent. Point taken cheers saintly_safes

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saintly_safes wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:

Unfortunately I was never blessed with real natural talent. I was a trier but never reached the dizzy heights of even being considered as a late round draft pick never mind get to a first round pick. I suppose its hard to be too critical of him because we can only presume that he should have gone further but as you have said sometimes it takes alot more than natural talent. Point taken cheers saintly_safes
not talking about football talent being that of a draft pick...talking about life in general

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I never took any pot-shots at him, because I think supporters questioning a league footballers hardness is a joke......none of us would last 30 seconds on the ground.....let alone take a hanger running back with the flight of the ball and pulling down a screamer in the goalsquare as Fizz did.

He certainly lacked confidence at times and was over-confident at other times, however, one thing he did improve was his willingness to go in......his contest with Rodan where he beat him one out and set up a goal in a crucial part of the game was perhaps his best moment in AFL footy.

He took 10+ hangers in the AFL
and more in the VFL

I love a hanger, so I enjoyed watching him play at his best.

He will rip it apart in the EFL. Not bad for a so-called softc*ck

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Good article.. it should be mandatory reading for every new draftee.

Best wishes, Fizz.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Sobraz
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:I never took any pot-shots at him, because I think supporters questioning a league footballers hardness is a joke......none of us would last 30 seconds on the ground.....
BigMart, I cant agree with this point.... It is talent (and to an extent, hard work) that gets these guys to the top level, not guts...

There are players that are lower on the talent level but have stupid amounts of courage, but for the vast majority, and Fiora is the leading candidate here, it is God given ability that sets them apart...

I would imagine, without having played AFL, that a hard ball at the MCG is the same as one out in Mansfield, as it is in every suburban gound around the country.... Sure they are fitter at the top level, but if it were bravery alone that sets the top guys apart, the AFL lists would be very different...

The 'none of us would last 30 seconds on the grouns' philosophy gives the blokes that bust their gut for the local clubs, that were never fast enough, or skillled enough a massive slap in the face IMO...

The fact that Fiora admitted that he cant stand up for himself in life, let alone on the footy field, is indicative of how 'hard' he is...

Sure, at the end of the day I never played AFL, but i know that its not my bravery that let me down, more likely my coordination!!....

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I don't feel sorry for him at all.
Had his chances and then some. To me the most telling confessions in that article are that he never sought the advice or assistance of Harves, Richo or any other senior player and that only in his last year did he start to do what the club told him to in the off season.
Good on him for being honest about himself and playing 140 games, but he wasted his opportunity to get heaps more out of himself. So I don't feel sorry for him at all. Was one of the most frustrating players around and a good decision to de-list.

Foz
Club Player

I think GT threw down the challenge in Fioras first year at Saints - he added weight, kicked a supergoal in his first NAB cup game and we believed we had a running, dangerous goal kicker.

Next few years the weight gain stopped, the biceps got slimmer and the form was patchy. For mine, whatever challenge that was made in 2005 soon disapated. When you read the article about being safe, his time at the Saints plays out a familiar theme. He was safe and believed it right to the end.

Always interesting how the crowd approaches some players - this is one that was justified.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Really interesting stuff from Aaron. Makes you wonder about him, but equally it reveals why it never happened for him.

It's the type of article you want to cut out and give to every player that comes to the club.

Superbly written by Sheahan and a great idea for an article - brilliant.

Will destroy the EFL - and if I'm correct - will earn enough in that league to make it worth his while.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Foz wrote:I think GT threw down the challenge in Fioras first year at Saints - he added weight, kicked a supergoal in his first NAB cup game and we believed we had a running, dangerous goal kicker.

Next few years the weight gain stopped, the biceps got slimmer and the form was patchy. For mine, whatever challenge that was made in 2005 soon disapated. When you read the article about being safe, his time at the Saints plays out a familiar theme. He was safe and believed it right to the end.

Always interesting how the crowd approaches some players - this is one that was justified.
Good point Foz about him floating through because he thought he was safe. Didn't bust a gut because he thought he could get through on talent alone and didn't have to work hard. A couple of our current players could do with a good read of that article.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Foz wrote:Always interesting how the crowd approaches some players - this is one that was justified.
Some of it, yes. Some of it was recycled garbage that followed him from his Richmond days. Some of it was just the blowhards who go to the footy to yell at people. He was never a natural hard ball player, but he was much better at those sorts of things here than he ever was at Richmond. The constant criticism of him was that he was soft - even look at the thread title. The worst part of his game was that he was inconsistent.

He made his mistakes, but IMO Spud and the RFC could have done better developing him. Instead of challenging him and putting him in tough spots, Spud would constantly throw him on the HBF where he could coast and pick up easy possessions. He never developed a defensive game and he never turned into the prolific ball winner they had envisioned. Judging by this article, they left a shy young teenager to his own devices. I would hope that if we got a prospect of that calibre and that character that our group would do a better job of including him and working out that shyness. So much of the game is between the ears.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Foz wrote:Always interesting how the crowd approaches some players - this is one that was justified.
Some of it, yes. Some of it was recycled garbage that followed him from his Richmond days. Some of it was just the blowhards who go to the footy to yell at people. He was never a natural hard ball player, but he was much better at those sorts of things here than he ever was at Richmond. The constant criticism of him was that he was soft - even look at the thread title. The worst part of his game was that he was inconsistent.

He made his mistakes, but IMO Spud and the RFC could have done better developing him. Instead of challenging him and putting him in tough spots, Spud would constantly throw him on the HBF where he could coast and pick up easy possessions. He never developed a defensive game and he never turned into the prolific ball winner they had envisioned. Judging by this article, they left a shy young teenager to his own devices. I would hope that if we got a prospect of that calibre and that character that our group would do a better job of including him and working out that shyness. So much of the game is between the ears.
Well written vacuous space

Ask yourself how Buddy might be going at present if the Hawks had treated him as Fiora has been?????

Some players have huge talent , but need tailored help to make the most of it.

Some never will...but others with more of a helping hand do at last make it.

In Fiora's case I think he brought a lot of baggage with him...baggage that he could perhaps have been better assisted in carrying.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why would we feel sorry for him....he had a successful league career.....would he feel sorry for us for never playing a game.....

I am not sure he wants our sympathy.....just that we should understand that he knows he did not make the most of his god-given talent (which in itself is a load of shyte)....yes genes play a part.....but work ethic, courage, discipline etc do the rest.....

I am not sure he failed......he was no champion.....but he played 10 seasons in the AFL......whats the percentage of player that make that grade....

Please DO NOT compare Mansfield to AFL footy......if you do you highlight the fact you haven't played or are not sure of much.....

Players who play high quality footy will tell you with every jump in grade, there is a lift in intensity, speed and the magnitude of the hits increases....hits by fit fast strong people hurt more than a suburbian bloke who trains twice a week foor an hour.....or a country bloke who smokes...

I felt the difference moving back from the EFL to the SFL....the game was not as quick, and the physicality was less....

Seriously....Barry Hall, Mark Riccutio, Jonathon Brown, Fevola, Cam Mooney, Luke Hodge, Archer, Nietz, Primus, Gehrig, Hamill, Grant.....not too many guys running around their size and speed in the local leagues....if one of those guys cleaned up a less than elite level fit bloke he might actually kill him......

these are the guys Fiora played against.....

He was not a hard man, but he ran around on the same ground as many a hard-man.....and did it for a while....I respect that alone

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:He was not a hard man, but he ran around on the same ground as many a hard-man.....and did it for a while....I respect that alone
I think there's a naivety in those who refuse to accept the point. The natural fitness and "hardness" of the professional athlete far outstrips that of all but the rarest amateur.

From what I've heard of those who play their footy in the leagues AFLers retire to, on one hand an AFL career puts a target on your back - on the other, the softest AFLer is capable of handling that target easily... Fiora's toughest adjustment will be to catching torps and shanks instead of lace out passes every game, he'll be one of the toughest on ground in most amateur matches he plays.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

anyway,he's gone,he didn't quite measure up..

He needed to move on to make way for the next "fiora" type player....

AFL/VFL footy's history is riddled with fiora's....

Those that get it , or have got it , succeed,those that don't look for excuses.....

I just want team success,which proves very elusive for St Kilda.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Shaggy
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:
BigMart wrote:I never took any pot-shots at him, because I think supporters questioning a league footballers hardness is a joke......none of us would last 30 seconds on the ground.....
BigMart, I cant agree with this point.... It is talent (and to an extent, hard work) that gets these guys to the top level, not guts
Take the top two in your club who haven't played AFL, match them against the top 2 from all other clubs in Australia who haven't played AFL and you must be super tough to survive regardless of talent. Its obvious.

Fiora may not have been a tough nut player but he was a tough nut to play AFL for 140 games.

My prediction is Fiora will be a little punchy come EDFL as most ex players are.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why would we feel sorry for him....he had a successful league career.....would he feel sorry for us for never playing a game.....

I am not sure he wants our sympathy.....just that we should understand that he knows he did not make the most of his god-given talent (which in itself is a load of shyte)....yes genes play a part.....but work ethic, courage, discipline etc do the rest.....

I am not sure he failed......he was no champion.....but he played 10 seasons in the AFL......whats the percentage of player that make that grade....

Please DO NOT compare Mansfield to AFL footy......if you do you highlight the fact you haven't played or are not sure of much.....

Players who play high quality footy will tell you with every jump in grade, there is a lift in intensity, speed and the magnitude of the hits increases....hits by fit fast strong people hurt more than a suburbian bloke who trains twice a week foor an hour.....or a country bloke who smokes...

I felt the difference moving back from the EFL to the SFL....the game was not as quick, and the physicality was less....

Seriously....Barry Hall, Mark Riccutio, Jonathon Brown, Fevola, Cam Mooney, Luke Hodge, Archer, Nietz, Primus, Gehrig, Hamill, Grant.....not too many guys running around their size and speed in the local leagues....if one of those guys cleaned up a less than elite level fit bloke he might actually kill him......

these are the guys Fiora played against.....

He was not a hard man, but he ran around on the same ground as many a hard-man.....and did it for a while....I respect that alone
Yep...I reckon that just about sums it up

Well said :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

If you dont want to sound rude then dont use the term "pussy"..imo its generally used in this context as a derogatory term for someone whos perhaps a bit less than a "man's man"

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor