Open both eyes!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Legendary
Club Player

markp wrote:
Fourthly, what do the sponsors get to decide next?.... Our game-plan? Match-ups? Board members? CEO?....
Unfortunately it's a fact of business and the AFL that sponsors don't want to be associated with Ben Cousins. ANZ and SGIO re-considered their sponsorships with West Coast while he was there.

The reality of the current economic climate and St Kilda's financial position is such that we had to listen to Jeld-Wen.

Unless someone was prepared to commit $3m for the next 2 years, we couldn't ignore JW to that extent.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I have both eyes wide open and still want him. The guy is a champion footballer and we let slip through our fingers.

JeffDunne

I'm just glad I can go back to slagging him. :)

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I'm just glad I can go back to slagging him. :)
:lol: every cloud has a silver lining.

kaos theory
Club Player

Firstly, I didn't initiate the car analogy....

Secondly, what if you couldn't fully inspect the Porsche but it was very very cheap?

Thirdly, if he slipped up once he'd be gone....

Fourthly, what do the sponsors get to decide next?.... Our game-plan? Match-ups? Board members? CEO?....

You missed the point. The initial outlay may seem cheap, BUT its the potential high cost if the 'car' goes off and mucks up on its own. You get it? This is the potential BIG cost to the club....

With taking cousins, there is a significant broader society issue. Like it or not he carries a lot of negative baggage with him, and that baggage is broader than what he does on the field. Therefore, sponsors can get nervous, and their dollars are VERY important for a club’s survival.

Also, like it or not, sponsors have influence on clubs. When a sponsor decides to put big dollars into a club, that money comes off its bottom line. That is a lot of cash that in a recession can be put to other uses. Therefore it rightly expects its brand to be enhanced by the relationship. Therefore, if a club is playing exciting football, is successful and has high profile players with a positive public image, then that club is going to be able to attract bigger sponsorship dollars.

If it is a struggling club and has a bad public image, then its going to lose sponsors.

Like it or not THAT is the real world.

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="markp"] what do the sponsors get to decide next?.... Our game-plan? Match-ups? Board members? CEO?....[/quote]

If Ross Lyon does not make the game plan more attractive it will be the coach.
Sponsors need to provide an entertaining game for the guests, winning ugly everytime does not count.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
chook23
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
markp wrote: what do the sponsors get to decide next?.... Our game-plan? Match-ups? Board members? CEO?....
If Ross Lyon does not make the game plan more attractive it will be the coach.
Sponsors need to provide an entertaining game for the guests, winning ugly everytime does not count.
most of the guests don't barrack for the competing teams plus
they are too busy behind the glass getting in as much food and drink as possible.

saint4life
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: Tell me again what the big risk was?

If he farks up... he's gone.

Methinks this was a political decision to keep the sponsors happy.

There was always going to be a big media hype around the Club about the one player and the drafting of Cousins would have meant that renegotiation of some players contracts would also be a BIG RISK.

So in essence the Club could have had disharmony amongst the playing group with the concentration of extra press, focused on the one player, and that player was the cause of some of them having their pay reduced.

That coupled with drafting a player who will turn 31 next year, let alone a player who is trying to make a comeback after a drug addiction.

Also the risk of loosing a sponsor.

Yep, I say it was always going to be a risk and a risk they were not willing to take.

I have heard that 2 out of 7 oo the board were dead set against it, but after the marathon meeting another 2 were convinced that it was too risky...

I commend them for their decision, it was obviously a tough one.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
markp wrote: Tell me again what the big risk was?

If he farks up... he's gone.

Methinks this was a political decision to keep the sponsors happy.

There was always going to be a big media hype around the Club about the one player and the drafting of Cousins would have meant that renegotiation of some players contracts would also be a BIG RISK.

So in essence the Club could have had disharmony amongst the playing group with the concentration of extra press, focused on the one player, and that player was the cause of some of them having their pay reduced.

That coupled with drafting a player who will turn 31 next year, let alone a player who is trying to make a comeback after a drug addiction.

Also the risk of loosing a sponsor.

Yep, I say it was always going to be a risk and a risk they were not willing to take.

I have heard that 2 out of 7 oo the board were dead set against it, but after the marathon meeting another 2 were convinced that it was too risky...

I commend them for their decision, it was obviously a tough one.

Not surprised Fid that the 2 who were deadset against are part of the "machine" I refer to in other threads.

I am sure you will pick up on my comments

saint4life