Caro article says it all on cousins decision

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Pilgram
Club Player

St Igmata wrote:
chook23 wrote:
kaos theory wrote:
Why would the board tell her ALL THE SO CALLED REASONS/FACTS
I doubt the club told her everything explicitly, but there would have been many 'off the record' snippets of information form different sources, and she would have been snooping around & joining the dots, etc....

Also, it’s a way for club to get its reasons for a decision out into the public, without been directly accused of doing so.
like a lot of journos

a lot of guessing

just like those that had him a certain pick up

papers/media....................... :roll:
Their source is Pilgram
if not for the negativity of some people it may have come to pass.
as good a fit as he would have been the practicalities would have been a logistical nightmare.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Posted this in another thread but prob better suited in this one

I thought we should have picked Ben......

Given him a go.........

but the "Machine"...... Risk management/due diligence/what if sponsors ...
litagation world.............

won over

to be seen giving someone another genuine chance

but we didd not have the ticker to fight the "machine" IMO

upside

Appears more than not (Members) wanted him
Could have been plenty of good exposure for a bold Sponsor
Bold markrting dept etc......

BUT the what if gloom "machine " won out

If Ben did blow it HE would have been the loser

MACHINE
the analogy I am using is there use to be 100 kids playing in the schoolyard......1 may have/did hurt himself........but the "Machine" supported the benifits to the other 99

Now knowone plays in the schoolyard because the "Machine" supports the what if 1 gets hurt and the benifits to other 99 is forgotten

saint4life
Richter
SS Life Member

Legendary wrote:Ok so the actual reasons for the decisions are as follows:
  • Jeld-Wen had serious reservations and concerns about Cousins being drafted; in the current economic climate their sponsorship is extremely valuable

I thought this board was called "FOOTY FIRST"? Now we're dictated to by a group of American door makers?
  • Ross Lyon had serious misgivings about Cousins, his football ability and the impact he would have on the other players

Then why did it make it this far - it's a fair enough point but then it should have meant a veto of the recruitment from the outset - this dilly-dallying suggests that RL is indecisive.... not a great trait in an AFL coach IMO.
  • Cousins failed to submit a hair test to the AFL, and this raised some doubts in the minds of some board members

I can see how some might come to this conclusion - However, IMO it suggests that Cousins has a healthy contempt of the AFL, which after sirengate/whispers in the sky etc., I share.
  • Cousins had been hiding behind his manager and not speaking out himself, and this also raised some doubts in the minds of some board members

A furphy. Cousins can't win here - if he speaks to the media himself it just adds to the media circus which would not advance his cause. He pays a manager to his spokesman, let him do that.
  • Cousins was still associating with several people considered unsavoury by the club

To be honest the only really good argument put forward - and one which Gary Ablett writes about in his "open letter". I can see the merit of not abandoning your mates...... but when your mates are dodgy gangsters this takes on a different complexion.
  • The club is serious about drafting young players and does not see a place for a 30-year old on the list

Obviously complete twaddle
IMO questions still remain to be answered by the board. "No further discussions on this subject" is not good enough.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Pilgram
Club Player

the decision i suspect was less about hurt and more about drug use ergo they can play in the playground but lets just not let the kids use the boys toilet because they will smoke in there.

apples and oranges.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Pilgram wrote:the decision i suspect was less about hurt and more about drug use ergo they can play in the playground but lets just not let the kids use the boys toilet because they will smoke in there.

apples and oranges.

What are you talking about

:roll:

my post ......It was all about what side the "machine" supported

IMO in the last 5 years dramatic change

saint4life
saintly_safes
Club Player

As much as I hate the bitch & im really finding this hard to say but she is r, ri , rig ,righ, Na i just carnt say it hopefully something will happen & prove her wrong

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintly_safes wrote:As much as I hate the bitch & im really finding this hard to say but she is r, ri , rig ,righ, Na i just carnt say it hopefully something will happen & prove her wrong
Yeah it did. The article in todays herald sun has a number of quotes that are the exact opposite to what Caro wrote !!