Blake dropped at last

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

groupie1
Club Player

Those of us calling for Blake and or L Fisher to be omitted and to see a commitment to attacking football should all be please about the Gardiner, G, Schneider IN and Rix, Blake, Fisher OUT selections, and applaud the match committee for taking these tough decisions in the name of playing to win and playing to our strengths. A big risk as people will ask where Blake was if Richo plays well up the ground. I personally hope to never see J Blake play again - no matter what people say, and I'm sure he's a nice loyal Saints bloke (although people do seem to forget he almost walked a few years ago for more money), he is not AFL standard.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
spert
Saintsational Legend

NDS and Milne should have been higher on the "to drop" list than Blake

groupie1
Club Player

agree with the latter but not the former

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I'm a Jason Blake fan - not because he's a great footballer, but because he gets the best out of himself.

Unfortunately, his form has been disappointing, and with this current line-up, we can ill afford his lack of speed and ever-so-slow second efforts. They are there, but they are like treacle. Now that Ross Lyon has taken him out of the ruck mix, it may be hard for him to return to the team.

Tha same goes for Leigh Fisher. Another guy I admire for getting the best out of himself after enduring terrible injuries. Back pocket is his best position, but again, Lyon seemS to have overlooked him for that role in favour of Dempster

spert
Saintsational Legend

NDS's opponents have been in the best three on ground for their team in three of our losses -that to me means out of form player, and Milne is useless under pressure from top teams.

Red
Club Player

Now that Blake, Raph, Fiora, Rix and Cj are out of the side I wonder who

most people are going to blame if we don't play all that well on the weekend.

Mind you we could oust Dempster and a few others next week.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I'm really pleased.

Looking at that team, there are now only 2 players left that haven't at some stage in their career played in either a Premiership team and/or played medium-long term elite football.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:ive never had a problem with blake being in the side.
can only remember one OUTSTANDING game he had tho and that was when he carved up Goodes once....
To be fair...that is not accurate.

Two other games worth noting.

Tassie against Fremantle when for my money Blake played his best game...when he starred in the ruck with a two goals and completely obliterated Sandilands around the ground while holding his on in hitouts...Sandlinads at the time had been in very good form.
This game was elite by any standard.

Another more recent game was well he towelled up Crawford.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I tend to agree that Jason Blake has a massive heart, and his endevour can't be questioned. His skills and decision making need to be developed further for him to become a consistantly effective footballer, but he isn't far away. Having said that, I think his inclusion in the side often comes down balance and availability. Blake has fantastic versitility so has therefore been in the side to fill various roles while others are injured or out of form.

Last week we had an overload of defensive/stopper players, Blake, Birss, Baker, Dempster, L.Fisher and to a lesser extent Luke Ball. And you might as well throw Maguire in that group of late, as he is only really stopping a player, rather than creating rebound.

So this week we have three of our best 22 to reutrn in M.Gardiner, Schneider and Gehrig. These additions mean we do not only have 5-6 defensive players, but we have an abundance of talls. So therefore, one tall goes out (Rix), one defensive player goes out (L.Fisher) and Blake, unfortunately falls under both catergories.

I don't think Blake's endevour and ability to get a job done ever comes under question, I think it's more just a matter of team balance.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Tassie against Fremantle when for my money Blake played his best game...when he starred in the ruck with a two goals and completely obliterated Sandilands around the ground while holding his on in hitouts...Sandlinads at the time had been in very good form.
This game was elite by any standard.

Another more recent game was well he towelled up Crawford.
I think just about every single player in the league has played an elite game.

One elite game a year can not be enough to keep your spot in a very good side.

That needs to be the difference with us.

Consistent good to elite performances from everyone.

footynut
Club Player

For all thoes people bagging out JB, you need to remember that he was becoming an elite ruckman before he was kneed in the back by that richmond hack.

The new rules have hurt his game

and there maybe better players at St.kilda

However he does not deserve to be rdiculed as he fulfils a role when needed and has put his heart and soul into the club.

yipper
SS Life Member

footynut wrote:For all thoes people bagging out JB, you need to remember that he was becoming an elite ruckman before he was kneed in the back by that richmond hack.

However he does not deserve to be rdiculed as he fulfils a role when needed and has put his heart and soul into the club.
Indeed. Agree 100%

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:NDS and Milne should have been higher on the "to drop" list than Blake
Maybe we should delist him.

Lets do the opposition a favour.

That will enable them to put all their time and effort into tagging and shutting down Jason Blake, as you have suggested.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:I'm really pleased.

Looking at that team, there are now only 2 players left that haven't at some stage in their career played in either a Premiership team and/or played medium-long term elite football.
Exactly right.

Jason Blake tries his best, but his best isn't good enough for our team.

Constantly turning the ball over, failing to contest properly and a lack of pace means he is not capable of contributing to our ongoing success.

He's durable and seldom injured, which is good, but he has almost zero talent and is not a smart footballer.

Let's face it - most players are athletes these days. It's not such a big deal like it was 10 years ago when half the players were naturally talented and the other half gut-runners.

To be athletic is no longer an asset; it's a pre-requisite for AFL football. This almost negates Blake's biggest strength, because most others have it anyway.

In order to remain relevant in the AFL and have a role to play, you need to have some sort of tangible skill set. Sadly, Blake does not have these skills - and it's now becoming painfully obvious.

At the age of 27, it's clear he won't improve. I'm happy to have him as an emergency back-up in case of a cataclysmic disaster, but that's it for now.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I love these arguments.... :?
Yes Blake has been dropped this week, but no one here knows the reason for the decision.
And to those posters that are crowing about the decision, it clearly flies in the face of the opinion of those who are paid big bucks at the club, several coaches, and years of game selection, that Jason Blake is one of the leagues best true "utilities" going round.
Please place the blow torch to the top of our list not the bottom.

Seeya
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

that's an interesting point.

RL seems to love Jason Blake as did GT b4 him... yet the perception of him on SS and on most other forums I've read has been mostly negative (65-35)

i wonder what it is

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:i wonder what it is
The view might be different from the trenches?

Blake's been a terrific contributor as someone whose body stands up to the rigours of top football. Perhaps not in our top 22 on paper but regularly one of the top 22 available.

NeXus James

Blake is a good hard and honest worker. It wouldn't surprise me if he is a late inclusion so he can tag Richo.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

footynut wrote:For all thoes people bagging out JB, you need to remember that he was becoming an elite ruckman before he was kneed in the back by that richmond hack.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

This is something that often comes up as a Blake excuse, but I see absolutely no negative impact on his game from that injury. He had a total of 20 hitouts and 26 disposals from the first two games of 2004 (agsinst Chambers and Allen). Those are not the stats of an emerging elite ruckman. He always has been and always will be an ordinary GOP who gets a game because of injuries.

Elite ruckman dominate hitouts, hurt the opposition around the ground and have an intimidating physical presence. You can't say Blake has ever had the ability to do any of those things.

wildgoose
Club Player

NeXus James wrote:Blake is a good hard and honest worker. It wouldn't surprise me if he is a late inclusion so he can tag Richo.
Id rather Goddard do that. He has the tank and size to do that, and has far better skills and a footy brain.

And hack pup is out again, bowled without troubling the scorers.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:that's an interesting point.

RL seems to love Jason Blake as did GT b4 him... yet the perception of him on SS and on most other forums I've read has been mostly negative (65-35)

i wonder what it is
funny that isnt it 2 differant coaches still think he has a worth in the team and ppl call for his axing yet these same people how were crying out for Barry Brooks to be our saviour after 3 coaches decided he wasnt good enuff for the starting 22 the mind boggles some times

imo any game you notice Blake means that someone else isnt doing their job if the whole team are working well blake just go's along with his role

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
karnak
Club Player

He might be injured?

I too cringe at his disposals and sometimes inability to read the play, however; he really is a great utility. The problem that we face at the moment is that too many people are out of form so it makes JB stand out. If were firing I think he would play an important part. I'm happy with the list, really glad to see Gardy back in as he could well be our hero this year.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Dan.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

If there is someone better than Blake to replace him. All well and good.

The ins are all good players G, M.Gardiner and Schneider would all be chosen well ahead of Blake on any given day. Hopefully a few younger ones will pass him, such as Raph, Allen, Geary, Eddie, Steven etc.

Blake has been around for about 10 years. Has done a marvellous job in staying on an AFL list for that long.

If his time is up, well nobody can ever say Jason Blake didn't give his best and make every opportunity count.

Raph Clarke has oodles more skill than Blake could ever hope to have. He could do worse than model himself on Blakes work ethic and desire to give 100% in effort and ability when he crosses the white line.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
villasaint
Club Player

agree Joffa. If Raph applied himself and had the durability and endurance of Blake he would be fantastic.As I said at the start . He gives his all and is always trying.He has certainly had a great career given his ability and it may continue, depending on injuries and form of others in the team.