Robert Harvey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Solar wrote:This time of the year is made for the fast youngster, not the battle werried warhorse.
Great point Solar - youd think a so called "tough genius" of yester year and the Dalai Lama of coaching/man management could work that out before shooting off at the mouth? (for the record Thomas went along cause he needs a job - corporate world hardly smashing his door down for some of hip corporate feng shui).

I guess at the heart of it all what p!sses me off most is you just know this wouldnt be uttered about Hird, Voss or even Archer (who lets face it didnt set the world on fire in his last season) but its Ok to cr@p on a guy you know doesnt seek out media attention hourly to tell us all how good he is/was. I'll be reminding these parasites (one who earned so good money off the back of Harvey performances in the not to distant past) later in season when he turns it on....and he will.
I heard what Gt said and he didnt have a go at Harvs at all. He just said that he wasnt at his best tonight. Surely he can say that or should he lie because he coached him.
He said more than "he didnt have a good game tonight" - perhaps you didnt hear the lot - I did.

He also went along with Brereton and even said the "signs" were there late last year...not sure how you can interpret that as NOT tacit supportr for Dumot was saying but I look forward to your attempt.
Isnt this a case of you cannot stand him and I thought he was good for the club and we hear completely different things. Let him say what he likes he is a commentator not a saints coach.
The questions I pose and this thread is about the comments made about Harvey that I believe we unwarranted and unfair on the basis of 1 Nab Cup Game. Comments from Brereton mainly that Grant supported (if you didnt hear the full conversation thats ok - best to just admit that and we all move on).

What this IS NOT is a discussion on:

(a) Grant Thomas (havent we done this before)
(b) You

Lets not get side tracked or play "thread jacking" by second guessing my supposed "ulterior motives" (appreciate the psycho analysis but its over the top for what we are doing here) - if you feel Grant was right in what he said (you havent said one way or either BTW - just jumped to his defence of basically "he can say whatever he likes under the guise of commentator") then that is your view and your right.

Please do refrain from telling me what mine are though could you?

“Yeah….nah””
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Harves got caught holding the ball twice from what I can remember (will watch replay in the morning) & both times his 2nd efforts more than made up for the free kick. Nothing wrong with his game, he's still got it.

iceman
Club Player

I only aw the last quarter and a half, and Harvey got caught once, by Speedy Gonzalez (davey) when he was blind sided and had just recieved the footy.

But his compusure around the pill and ability to put teamates into space was still evident. To suggest 'it's sad' etc etc. is a load of bullcr*p, particularly in NAB, particularly after a week off (for Harves).

I would be worried if Harvey was at his peak right now. It's a long season for a 36 year old...

TwoTowers
Club Player

Harves has also been looking after his body the last couple of seasons. He has learnt how to pace himself as, of course, he needs to do now. Perhaps he is being even more cautious in that regard in his final season. He will want to ensure he is primed for the last few real games - not the first few practice games.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

f*** dermott! who cares what that sad old bleach blonde thinks?

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Harvey was great in the first half. Watching on TV, I would have had him in my best 10 for the Saints. Not sure what all the fuss was about? :?

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Sam23
SS Life Member

Agree.

Didn't see this thread.

GT, get f***ed.

Goddard.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: Robert Harvey

bigcarl wrote:
Teflon wrote:What would you do IF by mid season it became obvious he was struggling?
happily that is a decision that none of us will have to make.
hopefully if it is going that way harvs will see the writing on the wall
You rest him for the rest of the year and wheel him out in a wheelchair in the '08 GF, ...stupid question.
The only thing you could be annoyed about with Harvey's game last night, was the lazy throw he got pinged for.

Seeya
saintly
Saintsational Legend

they being brereton and even thomas laughed when they saw that Harvey was on davey. and questioned how was he going to stop him.

laughed they did. i didn't like that one bit.

Of couse harvey has slowed down. and most likely he will get caught in traffic. but he also had 16 touches in half a game and i believe helped alot in the last quarter to win the game. cool head

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Robert Harvey is already a legend of the game.

Who cares what Brereton thinks? He is a 'foot in mouth' commentator who often says the first thing that pops into his brain. Maybe if he thought first before speaking then his comments would be as incisive as his well thought out newspaper articles.

Grant Thomas is no longer the coach of our Club and should be judged for his commentating skills alone (not with any affection/disaffection for his role as our coach). I didn't hear the broadcast so I don't know what he actually said. If he did say what has been alleged in this thread, then he can be classified as another of the commentators prone to making ridiculous and fanciful 'spur of the moment' comments.
And accordingly should be treated with the same disdain as other similar commentators.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

GT on SEN this morning.
Called Dermie's comments insightful, thought the same himself, but didn't want to kill off Bambi so to speak.
Reckons he is most qualified to speak as no one has coached Harvs in as many games.

Also said (which I found interesting) that Harvs' last half of 2007 was poor and he thought he needed a big pre season to overcome this.

Did i miss something in the last half of the year?

bozza1980
Club Player

At the end of the day "Special Comments" men get paid to make big calls.

Harvey hasn't played up to his own lofty standards, we as St Kilda supporters quite rightly realise it's only February and cut the man the slack he deserves.

This said, a special comments commentator wouldn't be doing there job if they didn't point it out, because a champion playing a season too long is not good to watch, anyone who watched Dermie's seasons in red & white and black and white would agree.

I like everyone else here, believe they have jumped the gun and will be proven wrong by the best player I have ever seen play the game. At the end of the day though they have every right to express their beliefs as they see it.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:GT on SEN this morning.
Called Dermie's comments insightful, thought the same himself, but didn't want to kill off Bambi so to speak.
Reckons he is most qualified to speak as no one has coached Harvs in as many games.

Also said (which I found interesting) that Harvs' last half of 2007 was poor and he thought he needed a big pre season to overcome this.

If harvey last half year was poor, i'll spew! if he was poor 2nd half then harvey would not have played this year.

Thats crap. i believe that GT /SEN are now trying to be controversial. so they will be in the papers for the next few weeks. we now may be hearing this for a little more while.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Certainly dropped off last 4-6 games
Whilst signs there on Friday night................think too early to call by Dermie and GT............afterall pre-season games are to get ready for season..

At the highest level does not require much to fall off the pace though.

Can happen very quickly when it does.

Big a fan as any one re Harves........

Just hope his body and keep up with his will..

saint4life
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote:Robert Harvey is already a legend of the game.
An undisputed legend. Funny, the bloke gets caught twice holding the ball in a game and he is automatically deemed as "past it at his age".

16 disposals in half a game of footy and he's washed up.

Yeah righto you "expert" clowns...

:roll:
Mr Magic wrote:Who cares what Brereton thinks? He is a 'foot in mouth' commentator who often says the first thing that pops into his brain. Maybe if he thought first before speaking then his comments would be as incisive as his well thought out newspaper articles.
Dermott's always had a grudge against the Saints - stemming from the times he thumped Spud behind play at Waverley, and had Winmar eye gouge him and kick him in the nuts.
Mr Magic wrote:Grant Thomas is no longer the coach of our Club and should be judged for his commentating skills alone (not with any affection/disaffection for his role as our coach). I didn't hear the broadcast so I don't know what he actually said. If he did say what has been alleged in this thread, then he can be classified as another of the commentators prone to making ridiculous and fanciful 'spur of the moment' comments.
And accordingly should be treated with the same disdain as other similar commentators.
And if GT was still coaching us, he would have retired Harvey off 1-2 years ago (as per his "exit him out" comments). So no surprise he would have a crack at him.

And no, what I just wrote isn't designed to stir up GT debate, but just to reinforce what he said a few years ago about Banger.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:At the end of the day "Special Comments" men get paid to make big calls.

Harvey hasn't played up to his own lofty standards, we as St Kilda supporters quite rightly realise it's only February and cut the man the slack he deserves.

This said, a special comments commentator wouldn't be doing there job if they didn't point it out, because a champion playing a season too long is not good to watch, anyone who watched Dermie's seasons in red & white and black and white would agree.

I like everyone else here, believe they have jumped the gun and will be proven wrong by the best player I have ever seen play the game. At the end of the day though they have every right to express their beliefs as they see it.
Yes they are paid to make special comments, but to use words like sad and lost all his weapons is very premature and designed to cause controversy and nothing else.

After all it was only Feb when all the youngsters are coming out of the gym and full of pace.

Its the tone and language used which is over the top not the insight.
No doubt he didn't dominate and hasn't done right through the NAB Cup, bu please can we not wait until the season proper.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

yeah....16 possessions in less than half a nab cup game.......yep...banger is flowered.......

...what utter tripe...ffs.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

It's because he is such a brilliant player that they are being critical when he plays a good game rather than the usual excellent game that he is known for. Any other mere mortal returning a similar result would be congratulated for their fine efforts.

congorozides
Club Player

Re: Robert Harvey

bigcarl wrote:
Teflon wrote:What would you do IF by mid season it became obvious he was struggling?
happily that is a decision that none of us will have to make.

hopefully if it is going that way harvs will see the writing on the wall
No big deal. great man would hang them up and a rookie comes in. would have no bearing whatsover on the great mans legacy. lets just see how he goes when the real stuff starts.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:It's because he is such a brilliant player that they are being critical when he plays a good game rather than the usual excellent game that he is known for. Any other mere mortal returning a similar result would be congratulated for their fine efforts.
well put, I must say some of us on the night commented that he looked a little slower then usual but that might because the preseason is a lot faster these days

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
spidoir
Club Player

he may be a bit slower nowdays, but he still makes good decisions with the ball and sometimes that is far more important - would you like a goal to result from his decision or a turnover?

His experience is invaluble and his use as a motivational factor intangible

"The line 'I'm a mad St Kilda supporter' is one of life's great tautologies, because sanity has never been a requisite to follow the fortunes of the red, white and black"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

No...but as GT wanted to exit Harves out a year ago ..and had to back down he is probably stewing on the issue still.

Interesting that players that were not in GT's favourite group that he has had knives out for after leaving.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

For most of Harve's career Saints fans have had to endure the overlooking and ill-informed comments of the media about Harves.

I put a lot of it down to the fact that it was due to Harves great modesty and humility...and that the media naturally gravitated to those players that sought the publicity.

Very disappointing that one who should know Banger well....goes in for the cheap shots of someone so great.

Harvey is everthing that one would hope one's offsping would grow up to be...

Whereas......GT is not.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 03 Mar 2008 11:45am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

What's the bet that Harvey comes out and wins the Michael Tuck medal for BOG against the Crows?

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:For most of Harve's career Saints fans have had to endure the overlooking and ill-informed comments of the media about Harves.

I put a lot of it down to the fact that it was due to Harves great modesty and humility...and that the media naturally gravitated to those players that sought the publicity.

Very disappointing that one who should know Banger well....goes in for the cheap shots of someone so great.

Harvey is everthing that one would hope one's offsping would grow up to be...

Whereas......GT is not.
Never stops astounding me. Even those who should know better get sucked in. I recall Finey on SEN at some point last year putting Harves a rung below Hird and Buckley... on the strength of? Both Hird and Buckley have a Norm Smith, Harves doesn't, but he's got 2 brownlows (as opposed to their one each), a boatload more games played, and has outlasted both in the end. Given media commitments of Hird and Buckley, I expect this from the public at large - from a media pro with Saints ties and such strong opinions, I would have expected him to be the voice of reason on that matter (and sound anything but reasonable in the process :P ).

Harvey doesn't look like a superstar in the preseason? I'll believe that means the game has actually passed him by when he says so. I've seen him turn games on force of will too many times.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford