Saints to move haloes for a new star - The Australian

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JeffDunne

Why on earth would WC do a trade with us?

Unless we can trade into the first 3 or 4 picks we don't have a snowflake's chance in hell of getting him.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

If Judd nominates St.Kilda then that will pressure WC to take pick 9 & maybe pick 5 (if we can trade with the Dogs).

Saints94
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:If Judd nominates St.Kilda then that will pressure WC to take pick 9 & maybe pick 5 (if we can trade with the Dogs).
And who would we trade to the dogs?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

It's worth noting that trading a very good player, to get an excellent player may not be really worth our while.

Trading a line breaking midfielder like Joey or X (when fit) to get Judd would still leave us a line breaking midfielder short.

Anyway, we should be doing everything we can to get him - on our terms. If that's enough, then great. If not, then we're no worse off without him.

So, here are my untradables.

Roo
Goose
Sam Fisher
Joey
Dal
Kosi
BJ
Ball
Armitage
Lenny
Bakes
Max
Gram

As long as these guys form the core of our list over the next 3 years (2 for Max) then we can build around them - quality on-ball, quality forward and quality defence. Attacking and defensive, with speed and skill.

We can build around that.

So anyone outside of that, I'd be happy to see go to secure a guy like Judd.

Footnote: Anyone else think that this could be the current admin making a big play? Or at least being seen to be making a big play?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Umm..how long has Judd been Superman and Batman all rolled into one???

WCE are gonna play hard ball..really hard ball. that means MINIMUM two top 10 picks and a decent player

So..we have to A: Lose a decent player and B: Trade another VERY decent player to get a pick better than 9 to offer them and lose our first round pick

So..tha means.we lose a Maguire-level player PLUS a Montagna-level player PLUS Pick 9 ...to get a bloke whose injury is under a cloud, will have major surgery and virtually no pre-season. PLUS imagine the salary re-jigging we'd need to get him under the Cap!

We arent Carlton, we arent Richmond..we dont need to build our 2008 season around one player. FFS Carlton want to offer him the captaincy..how do ya reckon THAT will affect morale down there??

I for one will be very annoyed if we throw all our eggs in one basket and offload blokes who have been loyal to this Club to get a player who I get a sneaky feeling might have played his best (albeit awesomely good) football already.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:Umm..how long has Judd been Superman and Batman all rolled into one???

WCE are gonna play hard ball..really hard ball. that means MINIMUM two top 10 picks and a decent player

So..we have to A: Lose a decent player and B: Trade another VERY decent player to get a pick better than 9 to offer them and lose our first round pick

So..tha means.we lose a Maguire-level player PLUS a Montagna-level player PLUS Pick 9 ...to get a bloke whose injury is under a cloud, will have major surgery and virtually no pre-season. PLUS imagine the salary re-jigging we'd need to get him under the Cap!

We arent Carlton, we arent Richmond..we dont need to build our 2008 season around one player. FFS Carlton want to offer him the captaincy..how do ya reckon THAT will affect morale down there??

I for one will be very annoyed if we throw all our eggs in one basket and offload blokes who have been loyal to this Club to get a player who I get a sneaky feeling might have played his best (albeit awesomely good) football already.

someone who sees sense. top post.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
GrumpyOne

We will not be able to match what Carlton and their connections can offer. Kenny is in cloud-cuckoo land.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Umm..how long has Judd been Superman and Batman all rolled into one???

Would you be disappointed in our admin if we didn't attempt to secure a player like Judd?

I would.

Saints94
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:

Would you be disappointed in our admin if we didn't attempt to secure a player like Judd?

I would.
Who wouldn't

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

On another note, from the mail I heard when Judd arrived at West Coast, he wasn't overly fond of Gardiner and his antics.

Haven't heard anything about it since then, but that could be an issue for the club trying to secure him.

GrumpyOne

homework wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
saint66au wrote: Would you be disappointed in our admin if we didn't attempt to secure a player like Judd?

I would.
Who wouldn't
Me.

This would be a fruitless exercise that would only destabilize our playing group.

BelfastSaint
Club Player

Someone posted a few days ago that he observed Chris Judd having a quite drink with Luke Ball and Matt Maguire at the Champagne bar in the city a week or two ago ..
Can't find that thread now and was wondering if it was BS or perhaps an indication that the Saints may actually be under consideration from Judd....

sainter27
Club Player

Judd trade

The trade that Kenny is so boistrous about is Goose to Bulldogs for pick 5, then pick 5, pick 9 and X.Clarke to West Coast for Judd.
I think its pretty fair, albeit extremely unlikely.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Re: Judd trade

sainter27 wrote:The trade that Kenny is so boistrous about is Goose to Bulldogs for pick 5, then pick 5, pick 9 and X.Clarke to West Coast for Judd.
I think its pretty fair, albeit extremely unlikely.
Who's our CHB?

bungiton
SS Life Member

appears that after surgery, Judd will miss at least four months, that means no preseason, an underdone player for at least the first year of his new contract, if in fact the surgery is successful.

So for the $million a year, theres the first mill given away. As well as the player/s traded plus the loss of a first round draft pick. Judd is a champion, look at the issues still confronting Luke Ball, could be in fact the going all out to secure him develops into another sorry state of affairs.

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
GrumpyOne

bungiton wrote:appears that after surgery, Judd will miss at least four months, that means no preseason, an underdone player for at least the first year of his new contract, if in fact the surgery is successful.

So for the $million a year, theres the first mill given away. As well as the player/s traded plus the loss of a first round draft pick. Judd is a champion, look at the issues still confronting Luke Ball, could be in fact the going all out to secure him develops into another sorry state of affairs.
Judd, 2 weeks.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

As I said, the club that Judd chooses as his preferred club has a major advantage. WC will play hard ball & yes so they should. Keep in mind that a deal cannot be done without Judd's approval.

Just remember back to Plugger leaving... we all were talking about getting Richo, Wayne Campbell & Knights from the Tigers (that's what St.Kilda demanded)... what did we get when Plugger chose the Swans? Robbie Neil & a few draft picks!

The key to all of this is getting Judd to nominate St.Kilda as his preferred club. WC will eventually accept a reasonable trade for him or else risk him going into the pre season draft & getting squat for him.

The number 9 pick & a decent player may eventually get this deal done. It is true that we would have to give up a quality player at least.

Salary cap wise, the numbers bandied around are what Carlton are prepared to play... Judd doesn't come across as being all about the money. $800,000 a year at a club that would challenge for flags for the next 5 years with him in the side may be preferable for him to $1mil & struggle for the next 3.

The chance to get one of the best of all time does not present itself very often.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I doubt we could get Judd, reasons as follows...

1/ Injury - you'd want to know he is not going to be hampered like L.Ball.

2/ Salary cap - we have Rooey, can any club afford two franchise players taking 30% of the TPP?

3/ How will players who have accepted less to stay at StKFC than offered elsewhere look at the club offering a million a season for Judd?

4/ Watch the other players push hard for a big pay increase as their contracts come up and we will lose players going forward

5/ What do we have to give up?

If Judd nominated St.Kilda I would see the following required to get him.
Two top 10 draft picks.

Our trade, minimum Goose and Joey or Goose and X + our third round pick to Carlton for #3. To Eagles #3 & #9 for Judd.

Carlton or any other club will charge the earth and then some for a top 10 pick if they know we need it desperately to secure Judd.

In summary, I can't see it happening as carlton are in the box seat.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
kaos theory
Club Player

Footnote: Anyone else think that this could be the current admin making a big play? Or at least being seen to be making a big play?
Roger -

My concern here is that this becomes a DESPERATE play by the current admin to maintain its hold on the club. If that were to happen, then we will lose out in the end...

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

I would.
"A player like Judd"

make no mistake, the Judd of 2007-2008 is not the Judd of 2004-2005.

Can you just IMAGINE if we lost,say (Forget any contracts, its a hypothetical) BJ, Goose, X and our first round pick (and it will take something of this magnitude to get him!) and that surgery just doesnt go right?

Imagine the contract negotiations for the next few years? "Sorry we cant offer you what we'd like to cos that bloke with the dodgy groin is on $1m a year." talk about relying on loyalty..sheesh

Sorry, Aaron Hamill and Michael Gardiner are too strong in my memory right now

Oh and yes..I reckon theres a definate smell of Electioneering in the wind, but to me its like saying "vote for me and I'll remove water restrictions" Most sensible WANT the restrictions there and understand what theya re for.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bungiton
SS Life Member

The only reason Judd would want to come to the Saints, isthat he wouldn't have to play on Bakes anymore, offset that against having to go man on man with him at training, juddy might just quit after a training session or two.

I would rather build a defense around goose than trade him for a player with a very big question mark over injury.!

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bungiton wrote:appears that after surgery, Judd will miss at least four months, that means no preseason, an underdone player for at least the first year of his new contract, if in fact the surgery is successful.

Exactly what I was gunna post.

Judd will have no pre-season and may never recapture his old pace and ability. Look at our Luke Ball, consigned to a workhorse when he should be a group 1 champion.

On another issue both the FFS and the incumbants should gewt together on this one and come out and say that whoever wins on November both are united in getting Judd.

If both really have St.kildas best interests at heart this would send a great message. Sadly it wont happen as i see this push by Sheldon as a publicity stunt to try and shore up the incumbants.

How in hell are we going to attract Judd when we have only pick #9 and have all of our stars signed up.

What are we gunna offer #9 and Goose?

Come on :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

I would.
Gee twice in a week now I have agreed with Rodger....must bea record :wink:

Now of late heaps have been throwing s*** at Kenny.

But with the the best mid in the competition becominng available....and in particular one blessed with pace that we lack......Kenny would silly if he did not at least talk to Judd's management and Judd to see what could be done.

The mountain may be too high to climb.....but Kenny needs to at least check it out.

Surely this is an example of putting Footy First???
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 18 Sep 2007 10:44am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote:I doubt we could get Judd, reasons as follows...

1/ Injury - you'd want to know he is not going to be hampered like L.Ball.

2/ Salary cap - we have Rooey, can any club afford two franchise players taking 30% of the TPP?

3/ How will players who have accepted less to stay at StKFC than offered elsewhere look at the club offering a million a season for Judd?

4/ Watch the other players push hard for a big pay increase as their contracts come up and we will lose players going forward

5/ What do we have to give up?

If Judd nominated St.Kilda I would see the following required to get him.
Two top 10 draft picks.

Our trade, minimum Goose and Joey or Goose and X + our third round pick to Carlton for #3. To Eagles #3 & #9 for Judd.

Carlton or any other club will charge the earth and then some for a top 10 pick if they know we need it desperately to secure Judd.

In summary, I can't see it happening as carlton are in the box seat.
good summary JB, the exact things i have been trying to say over the last couple of days put into 1 post.

people need to stop living in fantasy land, and see just how hard it is to secure judd's services.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

For president Eddie McGuire, he would see it as the perfect transition of power. Buckley, the great midfielder of his generation, passing the Sherrin to the present champion. That would appeal to Eddie.
"great midfielder of his generation"?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm not even sure Buckley is a "midfielder": to me, he has always been more of a backline player who pushes forward in attack, and who rotates through the midfield.

But to rate him as a midfielder ahead of Voss, Harvey, Black and others of their ilk is just a bad joke. Even the likes of Ricciuto and Bell would be on a par with him IMO and there are probably others if I could be bothered thinking about it.

Buckley = easily the most overrated player in the history of AFL.

In the immortal words of AA Milne
3 Cheers for the wonderful Winnie-the-Pooh!
(Just tell me, somebody- WHAT DID HE DO?)
(ANSWER: play for Collingwood and develop a "good bloke" persona for television interviews)

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift