Sack Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Sack Lyon

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 19 May 2024 12:11am
Jaz wrote: Sat 18 May 2024 11:15pm Put a fork in him, hes done.

Taken a middle team and turned them into a bottom 4 side that cant score. For reference Geelong without a bunch of their best players go to Darwin, get flogged by 60+ points and still manage to kick 100 themselves. At least their supporters have some goals to cheer. We scrap our way to a whoppping average of 72 points a game.

Its rubbish and can't continue.
It's got nothing to do with the Coach, we've got far too many pea hearts on the List. We've hardly got any on field leaders and most of our midfielders are sub par. Then we've got a 7 foot full forward who refuses to lead and at the moment is inferior to Beau Maister.
Our Captain is a good player, but not elite and isn't a Captain. Wilkie or Marshall are more suitable.
In addition to being pea hearts, many of the pea hearted are also f*****' selfish, playing safe and content to let others do the work.
Sacking Lyon would be insanity, what we need is an end to Cuddly Ross.
I agree with this. Three times.

And the mention of Beau Maister made me laugh.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Sun 19 May 2024 12:20am There's one if two possibilities.
1) the game has passed Lyon and his game plan doesn't work anymore.
Or (2) Lyon's game plan is good but our players are too stupid to be able to follow it.
The answer is mainly no. 2 and that some of our players simply aren't good enough. Our game against Collingwood is what the game plan is supposed to look like
Clean hands, competent kicking, holding marks and making reasonable decisions would also assist.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

I mean if you constantly fumble and drop marks any gameplan disintegrates, you can't score and cannot possibly win.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Cr@p. RL wasn't dropping marks and fumbling the ball and kicking the ball out on the full.
We brought in 6 players tonight. I think 2 of them should not have been out there as it was like playing 2 players short all night.
Lyon is one of, if not the main reason why we are still competitive. How are the Tigers going? Carlton?
Our list has been mismanaged from 2013 until 2019 and we are living with the consequences of that now.
The problem isn't the coach, it is the midfield. This has been compounded by a shocking injury list and several suspensions to very important players.
We played 7 guys under 21 tonight, and all of them have played under 50 games, as has Liam Henry (whose father I had the pleasure of standing next to at the game tonight).
There is no cohesion in the team at present.
Clark, Higgins and Crouch straight in next week. We desperately need experienced bodies in the midfield and a small forward to crumb the ball.
It will probably take a few games for everyone to gel unfortunately, but we have no choice. We aren't going to win next week anyway, so it's time to try to get our best possible lineup out there so they can get a few games playing together under their belts so we can win a few games.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sun 19 May 2024 12:41am, edited 3 times in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

I mean if you constantly fumble and drop marks any gameplan disintegrates, you can't score and cannot possibly win.
The fact that we are just losing and not getting smashed, might have something to do with our system, particularly defensively, being ok.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

We are St Kilda so i think that means we are doomed to fail.

Does the St mean Saint or Shite, questionable ?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Lyon has to be draining at least a $mil a year from the clubs cofffers to cover his proven Premiership incompetence, i wonder what Fred thinks. :roll: :roll:

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Sat 18 May 2024 11:24pm Clearly playing the list to see what’s what.

Collard over Membrey
Patton over Ross

Yeah of course he’s going full tilt
Are you suggesting we're tanking? Certainly may as well now.

SaintWiki
Club Player

bobmurray wrote: Sun 19 May 2024 12:30am More shite in the RTB presser.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1133254/fu ... 6037077001
Yeah, more mumbo jumbo, if he was genuine he would sincerely apologise to all the supporters and sponsors etc for his stuff ups. Many of us have supported him as coach, even after he brutally dumped us in the past, and this is how he pays us. These post match videos are absolute garbage after an inexcusable and deplorable performance under his watch when given a free hand.
Last edited by SaintWiki on Sun 19 May 2024 8:43am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Max
Club Player

I'd like to say the game plan sucks, but to be honest I just don't understand the game plan.

Am I stupid? Do the players understand the plan or are they too dumb?

Serious question; can anybody please describe the actual game plan?

The next question is: Is there a plan B?

And is the game plan actually a robust and feasible plan or is it an un-executable thesis from a bygone era?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 19 May 2024 12:11am
Jaz wrote: Sat 18 May 2024 11:15pm Put a fork in him, hes done.

Taken a middle team and turned them into a bottom 4 side that cant score. For reference Geelong without a bunch of their best players go to Darwin, get flogged by 60+ points and still manage to kick 100 themselves. At least their supporters have some goals to cheer. We scrap our way to a whoppping average of 72 points a game.

Its rubbish and can't continue.
...... Submitted Post

...... Submitted Post again

......Submitted Post a third time

Who says you understand the first thing about pea hearts or captain material or AFL footy!?

You don't understand a simple thing like waiting to see if your internet connection can catch up to the world wide web

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Sun 19 May 2024 1:02am
bobmurray wrote: Sun 19 May 2024 12:30am More shite in the RTB presser.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1133254/fu ... 6037077001
Yeah, more mumbo jumbo, if he was genuine he would sincerely apologise to all the supporters and sponsors etc for his stuff ups. Many of us have supported him as coach, even after he brutally dumped us in the past, and this is how he pays us. These post match videos are absolute garbage after an excusable and deplorable performance under his watch when given a free hand.
What he was saying was that he prepared the players as best as he could. The loss is not his fault

What he said was he was pleased with how they played in the first half. Maybe if we'd kicked 8.0 instead of 5.3 we would have been in front.

He was pleased with how many entries, but "they left a bit on the table". That's code for 'my players let me down again'

That's basically Saints footy. You stay within reach of your opponent on the scoreboard and just hope like hell you can keep restricting them.

You can hear it in the way he focusses on what the opposition is doing. Serong this, Serong that

It's footy with a Ross Lyon stamp that says you're giving maximum effort, regardless of whether the game plan is good enough to win matches over 4 quarters

Have a listen to some of the smugness. It's as if he relinquishes all responsibility for what's dished up each week. It's been the same for 4-5 weeks.

The Ross Lyon trademark started creeping in towards the back end of 2023.

It's your team Ross. It's your team selections each week Ross. It's your game plan and your strategies and your choices for how your players are performing.

You are responsible, so fkn take ownership
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 19 May 2024 1:51am, edited 2 times in total.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I was concerned when Walsh was gone within weeks of Lyon's appointment. And also when Lethers was suddenly pushed out. We had two leaders who should have been able to stand their ground and keep Lyon in check. Instead we have his yes men Mission and Sos running the show with him. I'm not sure if there's anyone left who will challenge him and hold him accountable short of the pres giving him the arse.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He was out coached by a dork.

Freo are rubbish

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Freo have an experienced and pretty good midfield. They also have a very decent backline.
We are currently having to play 7 or 8 skinny kids every week and up to 10 players who have played less than 50 games, and in several cases, less than 10 games.
An unjury list doesn't get fixed straight away, players need to get match fit, then you have a period of time whereby the players need to consistently play together to build chemistry.
I was not happy tonight and can't believe the issues we're having just to kick a single goal.
But I do think Ross is the man for the job.
It is probably better to see the team as it really is rather than labour under a misapprehension. If we don't have depth and when tested due to injuries and suspensions we have players not at the standard then it is probably better to find out sooner rather than later.
But playing the kids for the sake of playing the kids isn't a successful strategy, so when Clark, Crouch and Higgins are available, they should come straight back in.
It's not the coach guys, it is the poor recruitment, the list (mis)management, and the (lack of) player development for 6 years after 2013 which are the problems.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 19 May 2024 2:27am Freo have an experienced and pretty good midfield. They also have a very decent backline.
We are currently having to play 7 or 8 skinny kids every week and up to 10 players who have played less than 50 games, and in several cases, less than 10 games.
An unjury list doesn't get fixed straight away, players need to get match fit, then you have a period of time whereby the players need to consistently play together to build chemistry.
I was not happy tonight and can't believe the issues we're having just to kick a single goal.
But I do think Ross is the man for the job.
It is probably better to see the team as it really is rather than labour under a misapprehension. If we don't have depth and when tested due to injuries and suspensions we have players not at the standard then it is probably better to find out sooner rather than later.
But playing the kids for the sake of playing the kids isn't a successful strategy, so when Clark, Crouch and Higgins are available, they should come straight back in.
It's not the coach guys, it is the poor recruitment, the list (mis)management, and the (lack of) player development for 6 years after 2013 which are the problems.
Is Clark injured?

If he lines up for Sandringham it'll be his
3rd match in a row. Or...is it his 4th (can't remember)

Why does he need 3 games at VFL level when he'd already done a full preseason?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Lack of talent, youth and experience = skill errors.

It's what a hard rebuild looks like.

Why is that so hard to understand leading supporters to want a villain to hate?

We are well short of the talent and experience required to compete, that is all.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

haha @ villian2hate

roll on Pick 2
thats what Fred really thinks

catch up , 'supporters' .

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
jays
Club Player

Stop talking s*** this ain’t happening, it’s not the coaches it’s the players and Ross and the club have a plan, if u care to listen to the club of bother to go to training and ask coaches questions you would know where we are

asiu
Saintsational Legend

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Jaz
Club Player

jays wrote: Sun 19 May 2024 8:19am Stop talking s*** this ain’t happening, it’s not the coaches it’s the players and Ross and the club have a plan, if u care to listen to the club of bother to go to training and ask coaches questions you would know where we are
This is a cop-out, we can't just blame the players. The list is measurably better than the one Ratten had, and pretty much everyone here agreed pre-season that the list improved from last year when we made finals. The fact is the coaching is turning good players into bad. Outside of Marshall and probably Windhager every player has gone backwards this year. If no change is made we will be here in a years time saying the players are no good and Wilson and Henry are not up to it after the coach has had a year to corrupt them as well.

I don't doubt they have a plan, they're getting paid a lot to have one, the problem is its a rubbish plan and not working. We need a new one.
Last edited by Jaz on Sun 19 May 2024 10:20am, edited 1 time in total.

SaintWiki
Club Player

jays wrote: Sun 19 May 2024 8:19am Stop talking s*** this ain’t happening, it’s not the coaches it’s the players and Ross and the club have a plan, if u care to listen to the club of bother to go to training and ask coaches questions you would know where we are
Rubbish, the coaches have had 2 preseasons with the majority of the list and if you think what they are doing is first class after watching last nights performance, how many supporters and sponsors do you predict we'll have by the end of the year?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Bassat could drag some other ex coach out of retirement and see if that helps..couldn't do any worse. In my long years as a Saint supporter, I'm really over the excuses for failure and dumb decisions from the various boards and presidents. Too many talented players- senior and inexperienced, are playing badly under this guy's guidance, and the captain's body language last night was bad- I doubt whether he is on the same page as Lyon.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 19 May 2024 12:55am
CURLY wrote: Sat 18 May 2024 11:24pm Clearly playing the list to see what’s what.

Collard over Membrey
Patton over Ross

Yeah of course he’s going full tilt
Are you suggesting we're tanking? Certainly may as well now.

Not saying he’s tanking I’m saying he’s developing the list.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL