Howard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

wally
Club Player

Re: Howard

I noticed Brisbane also played Fort who is usually their second ruck on Friday night against Sydney, maybe to stretch the defense maybe they will do the same this week.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Out Howard.

In Highmore.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 18 Jun 2023 10:59am Out Howard.

In Highmore.
One would hope so. But I expect not.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The last time we had the best full back in the league we won the flag. Some teams have been able to buy in a top full back (e.g. Melbourne) but generally full backs emerge within clubs, having formally been forwards or half backs. That is, it takes some time. Skill is as important as judgement. The ability to trust your judgment on the flight of the ball and leave your opponent and then to actually hold the mark are the two characteristics of a great full back. Great full backs punch the ball to advantage rather than just anywhere when they can't mark. It's not a fluke when the punch away goes to teammates. The best only punch when they can't mark.

Our best backman is Callum Wilkie. His last two weeks have been poor by his standards with a number of dropped marks that he might have taken. But he must continue to go for his marks. The moment a backman decides that he will no longer go for marks for fear of dropping the ball is the moment the club should be looking for a replacement. It could take a decade or more to assemble a premiership winning backline. It took the Saints 69 years in the first place.

I think our best prospect for a top full back is Anthony Caminiti. He has the right attitude and can hold a contested mark. At 19, he lacks the fitness and experience but those are two areas that can be worked on. He has the height and pace. His skills are quite good. His handball is certainly better than the incumbent's but that really isn't any great claim to fame. Fowards are important but backlines win flags.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Gonna get called a troll, but...

Wilkie earned 81 AF points on AFL App.
His season avg is 84.5.

I think they're being overly generous.
He got 17 disposals for 100% TOG

Most of his kicks (before the rain hit) were dinky little kicks to someone close to boundary.
For the past few games, he plays 'safe' and does that too much.
He never spots up a guy on his own in the middle to set up a play.
There's a lot of defenders that can begin scoring chains by picking a guy 40-50m away.
I get that he's tough, durable and is twice as competitive as Dougal Dawson, but he could be setting up play from down back.

Just my opinion

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
bakes
Club Player

Wilkie had a shocker , beginning with the fumble which should have been rushed through for a behind but wasn’t and ended with Richmond’s first goal. But, Wilkie just looks so assured and confident. I think Dougal is an AFL standard player, it’s just that I think for us to be premiership contenders, we need someone better than him.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 18 Jun 2023 11:51am Gonna get called a troll, but...

Wilkie earned 81 AF points on AFL App.
His season avg is 84.5.

I think they're being overly generous.
He got 17 disposals for 100% TOG

Most of his kicks (before the rain hit) were dinky little kicks to someone close to boundary.
For the past few games, he plays 'safe' and does that too much.
He never spots up a guy on his own in the middle to set up a play.
There's a lot of defenders that can begin scoring chains by picking a guy 40-50m away.
I get that he's tough, durable and is twice as competitive as Dougal Dawson, but he could be setting up play from down back.

Just my opinion
He ruined Reiwoldts night, but.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

You are 100% correct skeptic, others did also have a shocker. I guess the difference is, and I might be wrong, nobody seems surprised by Howard's shocker. He's a bit like that iceberg, you can see it coming but it's too late to avoid.

Perhaps Port can give us Jonas if we promise to always play Howard against them.

I think we have to play Howard against the Lions. I am hoping he has enough pride to want to prove us all wrong.

It may be time to play a young tall back, perhaps Van Es, as I believe they will apply themselves and be assisted by the likes of Wilkie, Webster, Sinclair and Battle around them. Other teams seem to be able to blood key backs but we seem adverse to doing it.

Saint 58
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Sat 17 Jun 2023 11:29pm
Saint 58 wrote: Sat 17 Jun 2023 11:20pm Adams or Van Es
Choose one

We aren't winning the flag, we'll be lucky to make finals
Play the kids
Make a decision on all of them
How does it benefit them to get smashed and lose games because of their efforts? Need to be a good VFL grade defender first.
Don't learn from history ... condemned to repeat it
Remember Kosi playing CHB in his first season ?
I know the game has changed from 2001 but let's give it a crack otherwise nothing changes

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Does Sharman have the zip ‘n hustle to be a genuine key full-back? He has the reach. He can get to the fall of the ball. Good hands too.

I don’t wanna bag Howard out too much. I knocked him a couple of times a couple of years ago for his attitude when he was everybody’s darling. He still did little things that were good.

Caminiti I think is just too young to expect much, ditto - despite hysteria in media this week - Michito

Regarding Wilkie and hi dinky lil kicks as someone mentioned, I think he was correct and following the team protocol..keep it out side and press the boundary ..??

Several errors last night came from terrible high risk centering kicks in D50…I think one may have come from outside D50 and straight into the hornets nest.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
happy feet
Club Player

perfectionist wrote: Sun 18 Jun 2023 11:02am The last time we had the best full back in the league we won the flag. Some teams have been able to buy in a top full back (e.g. Melbourne) but generally full backs emerge within clubs, having formally been forwards or half backs. That is, it takes some time. Skill is as important as judgement. The ability to trust your judgment on the flight of the ball and leave your opponent and then to actually hold the mark are the two characteristics of a great full back. Great full backs punch the ball to advantage rather than just anywhere when they can't mark. It's not a fluke when the punch away goes to teammates. The best only punch when they can't mark.

Our best backman is Callum Wilkie. His last two weeks have been poor by his standards with a number of dropped marks that he might have taken. But he must continue to go for his marks. The moment a backman decides that he will no longer go for marks for fear of dropping the ball is the moment the club should be looking for a replacement. It could take a decade or more to assemble a premiership winning backline. It took the Saints 69 years in the first place.

I think our best prospect for a top full back is Anthony Caminiti. He has the right attitude and can hold a contested mark. At 19, he lacks the fitness and experience but those are two areas that can be worked on. He has the height and pace. His skills are quite good. His handball is certainly better than the incumbent's but that really isn't any great claim to fame. Fowards are important but backlines win flags.
I agree, I think he could be an excellent FB.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Howard needs to be dropped IMO.

A few good 1%s here and there doesn’t change the fact that he’s consistently getting beaten one on one and lacks accountability.

Yes, dropping means Danniher could dine out on Howard’s replacement, but that will likely happen with Howard as his opponent anyway.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Very tempting to drop Howard but I probably wouldn’t do it this week.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
older saint
SS Life Member

Howard has been out of form for some time now. Had a mare on Saturday night.
that said we play Brisbane with Daniher and Hipwood. when they dropped Gunstan they went with 2 bigs and 4 med/smalls. If they do that then highmore for Howard works. If they play fort perhaps Cordy comes in.
Young kids aren't close to ready in this position.
Let Howard go back and get some form in the 2s.
Playing well he is in our best 22 and provides the size we otherwise lack.

Templar
Club Player

For the statisticians:
Howard v Richmond
14 disposals
85% efficiency (Second highest efficiency stat for the game after Rioli)
Gresh 31%
Stocker 46%
Marshall 47%
NWM 50%
Ross 52%
Higgins 54%
Wood 55%

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Mon 19 Jun 2023 10:35am For the statisticians:
Howard v Richmond
14 disposals
85% efficiency (Second highest efficiency stat for the game after Rioli)
Gresh 31%
Stocker 46%
Marshall 47%
NWM 50%
Ross 52%
Higgins 54%
Wood 55%
Lies, lies & more statistics! Thanks Templar.

I suspect RTB must have gone on the statistics all our eyes used.

Saint2
Club Player

Swap Howard and King, Max didn't work very hard against the Tiges, and could learn a bit of defensive craft, while Howard could have a bit of X-factor at FF, far away from the opposition goals. Our premiership Full Back was Bob Murray, who came to us as a forward.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I suspect Howard is gone. He is so useless when the ball hits the ground and gets easily out positioned. I honestly don't see how he survives.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Very much doubt Howard is dropped.
If he did go out suspect Cordy gets the gig.

If no injury loss I think Camaniti for either Cordy or Membrey is the most likely change or perhaps Sharman moves from sub to the 22.

To me Sharman looks better behind the ball and uses his jumping athleticism pretty well when spoiling.

Other than Bytel there is no midfield prospect in the twos and Peris looks miles away to me so I can’t see him being considered.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Mon 19 Jun 2023 3:02pm I suspect Howard is gone. He is so useless when the ball hits the ground and gets easily out positioned. I honestly don't see how he survives.
Seems to have lost his early good judgement for some reason and at the same time developed fumbles. I feel for him. Being yanked off a second stringer a bit humiliating, but the way he is giving away goals we start minus 2 or 3 goals and that's killing us.