Private School intake Draft Day

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Private School intake Draft Day

recruiters and clubs don't give a rats which schools the draftees come from. It just happens that good footballers are encourage to goto private schools with scholarships. I know in Ballarat if there are some year nine footballers doing well in a public school they will get offers to transfer to a private school on scholarships for year 10 onwards hence why there are more private school kids drafted there is no conspiracy.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Yep.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saints58
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 10:12am The problem is that participation rates in junior AFL football have plummeted in recent years. There just aren't many public school kids playing football at under 14 to under 16 level

Soccer has taken over

I really like your posts, but I have to disagree with you I work at Private schools as a sports coach.
Also, I am a basketball coach in Victorian Junior championship and that is where most of the boys and girls are going our numbers are through the roof with participation
we are also getting a lot of kids from soccer.
But there are still numbers playing AFL and basketball at the same time.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 6:17pm I’m not getting into the private versus public school debate because it’s a no win debate and a horses for courses issue as far as I’m concerned. I just reckon schools of the likes of Melbourne Grammar, Scotch and Geelong Grammar would survive and do perfectly fine without any government funding.

They also have very sophisticated donor/alumni/philanthropy programs to generate additional sources of funding.

Furthermore, both the public and private school systems are factories for lemmings.
Personally I would like to review their P&L before I made such comment be it opinion or fact.

They may well survive or even prosper, but would they able to charge the premium if they cannot maintain the offering?
Does the model fall apart?
Without access to numbers it is nothing but pure speculation.

Do you spend $650K on a V12 Bently GT if they use PU instead of selecting hand picked hide from Bulls raised in Southern Germany?

If both traditional formats produce lemmings, what do you suggest?
Hippie communes?

It is interesting that certain posters like the OP seem to becoming from nothing more than a point of jealousy or envy when knocking the private school system.
Last edited by D.B.Cooper on Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

What you guys are calling public schools are actually government schools. Scotch and the Grammer schools have been historically known as PUBLIC schools.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 7:23pm
SaintPav wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 6:17pm I’m not getting into the private versus public school debate because it’s a no win debate and a horses for courses issue as far as I’m concerned. I just reckon schools of the likes of Melbourne Grammar, Scotch and Geelong Grammar would survive and do perfectly fine without any government funding.

They also have very sophisticated donor/alumni/philanthropy programs to generate additional sources of funding.

Furthermore, both the public and private school systems are factories for lemmings.
Personally I would like to review their P&L before I made such comment be it opinion or fact.

They may well survive or even prosper, but would they able to charge the premium if they cannot maintain the offering?
Does the model fall apart?
Without access to numbers it is nothing but pure speculation.

Do you spend $650K on a V12 Bently GT if they us PU instead of selecting hand picked hide from Bulls raised in Southern Germany?

If both traditional formats produce lemmings, what do you suggest?
Hippie communes?

It is interesting that certain posters like the OP seem to becoming from nothing more than a point of jealousy or envy when knocking the private school system.
Private school envy, hey? I’ve heard of this phenomenon.

Yes, I provided no evidence for my opinion in this instance, so guilty as charged.

Private schools produce annual reports don’t they? They get the funding in the form of grants from both the Australian and State Governments. That probably still wouldn’t answer the questions you posed but as an ex board member of a prestigious school you would have been all over this.

Education is about the quality of teaching, the personality of the student and their abilities, and the commitment of the parents to education amongst other things. Many parents don’t have the choice. There are excellent teachers in government schools and there are average teachers in private schools and vice versa. It can be very random and there are many variables to control for.

Hippie communes? I hadn’t thought of that. :)

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 6:14pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 11:50am
D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 11:36am
CURLY wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 11:22am Oracle what of the kids that live outside the radius of a private school?

Those that have left school.

Very different expectations of those from private and those that aren't.
Most top end private schools offer boarding opportunities for regional or interstate elite athletes. Those located outside of private school regions would be very few in numbers.

Please provide a specific example of this occurrence.

If they have left school for an apprenticeship or age, elite pathway programs such as the TAC cup are available.

If you can’t make it through there you need to perform at your club level or through a VFL club.

If that doesn’t work you can make all the excuses you like, but you just don’t have it.

Very different expectations of those from private and those that aren't.

What does this mean?
Please provide an example to explain this seemingly random comment that appears to make no sense.

Give you two of many.

Boys from numerous high schools went down to Vic School Boys try outs there was at least 200 boys there. When they gathered them in the group the selectors announced 18 boys of the 25 to make the squad had already been pre selected based on there Private school football and weren't required to trial.

Second one was a young guy that smashed MOST of the TAC cup running records and was a genuine star was cut as a photo of him drinking appeared on social media appeared. A month later 14 members of the same TAC team were dragged across the coals for being under the influence at a popular night sopt.

All from a private school and all remained on the TAC list.
School boys, so Team VIC?
U12 or U15?

Doesn't team VIC go...
- District
- Zone
- Region
- Then multiple trials at Trinity or a chosen oval.

Which level are you referring to?

Are you suggesting 18 of the kids were selected because they went to private schools, not because they were the best 18 players in the region?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second young guy who is an absolute star and running machine.
Why hasn't he taken advantage of the multiple scholarships that would be on offer to someone at his level?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When two kids I am acquainted with won multiple gold medals at nationals in their chosen sport on the back of being trained in a small local club, they received offers from all over Australia to attend schools on full scholarships and focus on their sport.

If these kids are half as good as you think they are they would be receiving multiple offers.

If not perhaps they are making excuses and "cryin" like their mentor about all the injustices and how everything goes to the kids at private schools.

Eighteen boys pre selected on their school football form. The remaining had to trial for an hour and try there luck.

I had to do follow up calls for a number of kids yo see what areas they fell short on. The response was we just don’t know anything about them. We have been working with and watching the private school boys for a while.

These kids then became walk up to TAC squads. I spoke to one of the coaches about a young kid who was already dominating senior footy on a wing. In the trial games they had him playing back pocket in both. When I suggested give him a run in the wing the response was we have wingman already if wants a spot he will have to adapt to another spot.

The second kid left school at 16 for a plumbing apprenticeship.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Are you talking about the Team Vic U15 selection process Curly?

If yes at what stage of the process is your example?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I went to Caulfield Grammar and Haileybury. Hated them both too. My parents thought they were doing the right thing, bless them. I worked at Lauriston Girls School for several years. The disparity between the private and government school systems really hit me one afternoon when a year 11 Lauriston girl informed me, "this school is so poor". She had just come back from a school run Aviation class -i.e learning to fly a plane.
To me, it's a pretty crappy justification for the comparitive lack of funding for govt. schools to say that the system would fall apart if it were different. And no way private school kids should receive the same subsidy as govt school kids.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:30pm Are you talking about the Team Vic U15 selection process Curly?

Selection of the squads

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:37pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:30pm Are you talking about the Team Vic U15 selection process Curly?

Selection of the squads
For a third time.

Is this Team Vic U15 selection?

At what level do you refer?

Let me make it simple.

Was it round 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:41pm

Selection of the squads
For a third time.

Let me make it simple.

It was the Vic Schoolboys Under 15’s.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:43pm

Selection of the squads
For a third time.

Let me make it simple.

OK Team Vic U15’s.

Which round did this occur?

For someone bemoaning the unfairness of the process you don’t seem to have a clue about it at all.
Last edited by D.B.Cooper on Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:33pm I went to Caulfield Grammar and Haileybury. I worked at Lauriston Girls School for several years. Hated them both too. My parents thought they were doing the right thing bless them. The disparity between the private and government school systems really hit me one afternoon when a year 11 Lauriston girl informed me, "this school is so poor". She had just come back from a school run Aviation class -i.e learning to fly a plane.
To me, it's a pretty crappy justification for the comparitive lack of funding for govt. schools to say that the system would fall apart if it were different. And no way private school kids should receive the same subsidy as govt school kids.
Good post St Byron, a couple of questions.

1/ The Lauriston lass, do you think her arrogance was a result of upbringing or schooling?

2/ Are you suggesting private schools now receive the same subsidy per child as government schools? In my time of involvement it was 50%.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:50pm

Selection of the squads
For a third time.

Let me make it simple.

OK Team Vic U15’s.

For someone bemoaning the unfairness of the process you don’t seem to have a clue about it at all.
What’s your point. Fact is out 25 spots 18 where filled without them trialing no idea what stage and don’t care. Fact is the selection procedure was different.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 6:03pm Interesting thoughts……

…I was a Board member of a private school….

If the government stopped supporting (private, APS etc..it)…would be disastrous for the government.

….If private schools shut what is the impact on the public system?

….the whole system would break down if the private schools became nonviable.
Wow!!!

Is this what school administrators are telling themselves??

Is this what local MPs say over a latte?

My goodness gracious me!!

Heaven help us!!

It’s like a Southern Plantator telling his neighbor , ‘The slaves need us’

It’s like a feudal lord telling the peasants they need him!!

Holy good golly Miss Molly!

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 10:01pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:50pm

Selection of the squads
For a third time.

Let me make it simple.

OK Team Vic U15’s.

What’s your point. Fact is out 25 spots 18 where filled without them trialing no idea what stage and don’t care. Fact is the selection procedure was different.
Fact is you are making up bullsh1t to suit your agenda.

If you knew what the Team Vic U12 & U15 process of selection was you’d be able to detail at what stage this fabricated incident supposedly happened.

The other BS is the putting of a wingman in a back pocket and the associated story. Team Vic trials see all players rotated through forward back and mid with full team change at each 1/4.

What you have written above is typical Curly making up crap to suit his unjust agenda.
Did the umpires blatantly cheat in the trial matches against the non private school boys?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

And there it is……

Waiting for it.

Predictable.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:54pm
st.byron wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:33pm I went to Caulfield Grammar and Haileybury. I worked at Lauriston Girls School for several years. Hated them both too. My parents thought they were doing the right thing bless them. The disparity between the private and government school systems really hit me one afternoon when a year 11 Lauriston girl informed me, "this school is so poor". She had just come back from a school run Aviation class -i.e learning to fly a plane.

1/ The Lauriston lass, do you think her arrogance was a result of upbringing or schooling?

2/ Are you suggesting private schools now receive the same subsidy per child as government schools? In my time of involvement it was 50%.
Ms. Lauriston - I reckon those words were straight out of daddy’s mouth. He was a high powered lawyer. Just entitlement writ large.

The second question I have to confess my ignorance. Let me re-word that. Private schools who’s students are paying 10s of thousands of dollars to attend should not be funded so they can run things like aviation courses or have eight million dollar theatres built when there are govt school kids who don’t have a computer of their own.
I also worked at John Curtin College of the Arts in Freo for five years. Because it was a ‘performing arts focused’ high school, we did indeed have a multi million dollar brand new theatre. The only govt school in the state to have anything close to that kind of resource for learning. The W.A minister for Education came for an assembly about two years after the theatre opened. Afterwards our principal told me the minister had basically said, “don’t expect any more funding for a long long time when you have a facility like that”. We’d hit the ceiling of what a govt school could expect.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 10:33pm

If the government stopped supporting (private, APS etc..it)…would be disastrous for the government.

Wow!!!

Heaven help us!!

What school administrators do you refer to?

Perhaps you would be kind enough to inform me of what the government funding and infrastructure program would look like if they cut funding to private schools and needed to cope with the massive influx of students into the government system.

Lastly please remove the offensive racist remark around slavery, like I have when quoting your post.
Last edited by D.B.Cooper on Fri 28 Oct 2022 11:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 10:41pm And there it is……

Waiting for it.

Predictable.
Because it is true.

Made up a story and when pressed for facts could not deliver.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 10:46pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:54pm

Ms. Lauriston - I reckon those words were straight out of daddy’s mouth. He was a high powered lawyer. Just entitlement writ large.

The second question I have to confess my ignorance. Let me re-word that. Private schools who’s students are paying 10s of thousands of dollars to attend should not be funded so they can run things like aviation courses or have eight million dollar theatres built when there are govt school kids who don’t have a computer of their own.
I also worked at John Curtin College of the Arts in Freo for five years. Because it was a ‘performing arts focused’ high school, we did indeed have a multi million dollar brand new theatre. The only govt school in the state to have anything close to that kind of resource for learning. The W.A minister for Education came for an assembly about two years after the theatre opened. Afterwards our principal told me the minister had basically said, “don’t expect any more funding for a long long time when you have a facility like that”. We’d hit the ceiling of what a govt school could expect.
I respect your opinion but I disagree.

I find it hard to argue with a user pay system.
Perhaps the funding needs to be reduced, I don’t know the numbers, however when I had access the receipt per child was 50% of the cost of a child in a government school which seems to me fair.

I understand why you see the aviation course as opulent, but you need that point of difference to provide services and facilities in a private school that government schools cannot or you will not attract and retain students.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 10:48pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 10:33pm

Wow!!!

Heaven help us!!

What school administrators do you refer to?

Perhaps you would be kind enough to inform me of what the government funding and infrastructure program would look like if they cut funding to private schools and needed to cope with the massive influx of students into the government system.

Lastly please remove the offensive racist remark around slavery, like I have when quoting your post.
Seeming you asked me to remove what you allege to be a ‘racist comment’ I won’t bother.

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2022/09/26/ ... ls-Rising/

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Can we get some of our 100 gamer past players, whatever their academic background, to adopt several of the top talents so we can run that father/son rort other clubs game.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 10:49pm
CURLY wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 10:41pm And there it is……

Waiting for it.

Predictable.
Because it is true.

Made up a story and when pressed for facts could not deliver.

What ever oracle.

Doesn’t suit you attack poster.

Predictable