Latest DeGoey Rumour

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmike65
Club Player

Re: Latest DeGoey Rumour

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 23 Aug 2022 4:23pm
IluvHarvey wrote: Tue 23 Aug 2022 4:19pm I know for a fact that the club is going above and beyond with their "homework" on this.
They have been reaching out to some "high profile" female members to get their thoughts on recruiting him.
My understanding is the response hasn't been overly well received by the female members contacted but whether or not that plays into the final decision remains to be seen.
He's a 20-something who got drunk and tugged at a young lady's top.
She's gone on insta to say it's a storm in a teacup (or perhaps a storm in a B-Cup 🙆‍♂️)

He's not all that bad. Just a young fella on a lot of money.
Sure, the ladies may be opposed to him dating their daughters, but if him wearing the ❤🤍🖤 can get us 4-5 more wins than normal, who bloody cares?

Do we really want a team full of passive choir boys?
At the moment we have very few players with a bit of grunt!
De Goey is a quality player that needs a fresh start to get to the levels he should.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 23 Aug 2022 4:30pm I can iust see DeGoey sitting in me lounge room, with me Little Princess, all cute and dressed up in there Saints gear, holding hands and stuff and Jordie gets off the phone and says, "Collingwood want 3 years at $650"
and I say "Tell em their dreaming son".
Don’t turn away he’ll be tugging at her top.
What a nightmare, the daughter shows up with De Goey 😂

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Tue 23 Aug 2022 7:29pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 23 Aug 2022 4:30pm I can iust see DeGoey sitting in me lounge room, with me Little Princess, all cute and dressed up in there Saints gear, holding hands and stuff and Jordie gets off the phone and says, "Collingwood want 3 years at $650"
and I say "Tell em their dreaming son".
Don’t turn away he’ll be tugging at her top.
What a nightmare, the daughter shows up with De Goey 😂
Gee, you’re lucky if that’s your worst nightmare re daughters. At least de Goey is holding down a high-paying job.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Banger9798
SS Life Member

I reckon we are almost no chance.

I hope we haven't placed all of our focus on DeGoey, just so he can play us against the Pies for a better deal (which is what is happening).

We need to be setting up deals elsewhere.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Hope he takes the skunks to the cleaners

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Banger9798 wrote: Wed 24 Aug 2022 6:45pm I reckon we are almost no chance.

I hope we haven't placed all of our focus on DeGoey, just so he can play us against the Pies for a better deal (which is what is happening).

We need to be setting up deals elsewhere.
Reminds me when we were all in for Nat Fyfe :oops:

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-tr ... a41572e47a

Lethlean says Saints officially in De Goey chase.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 24 Aug 2022 7:57pm https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-tr ... a41572e47a

Is exactly what our drab and vanilla midfield needs and I'm glad we are interested if he's available but I'm guessing he's staying at the Pies. Why the he'll would he come to us when he can stay at the biggest sporting club in the land and be part of a dynasty.

I don't think we are any chance.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Will not be at the Pies next year 100% according to a very close friend of DeGoey they are massively low balling him.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Vortex wrote: Wed 24 Aug 2022 9:01pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 24 Aug 2022 7:57pm https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-tr ... a41572e47a

Is exactly what our drab and vanilla midfield needs and I'm glad we are interested if he's available but I'm guessing he's staying at the Pies. Why the he'll would he come to us when he can stay at the biggest sporting club in the land and be part of a dynasty.

De Goey has been feted by Pies fans the same as Chris Hemsworth- he's larger than life.
He gets a lot of love from Pies fans.
I'd suggest he's the Pies' equivalent of Dusty Martin (in the eyes of Filth fans at least)
Why would he leave that sort of hero worship?
Would our $ offer compensate for the big loss in prestige?
If he leaves the Pies, every time he steps out in public, supermarket, nightclub, the beach, doing footy clinics- he'll forever cop the 'why did you leave, man?'

I would be massively surprised if he leaves the Pies.
But what would I know

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 24 Aug 2022 9:31pm

De Goey has been feted by Pies fans the same as Chris Hemsworth- he's larger than life.
I'd suggest he's the Pies' equivalent of Dusty Martin (in the eyes of Filth fans at least)
If he leaves the Pies, every time he steps out in public, supermarket, nightclub, the beach, doing footy clinics- he'll forever cop the 'why did you leave, man?'

But what would I know

It seems they don’t want him.

Gershwin
Club Player

A high-price, high-risk investment. With our dreadful record in this area, this reeks of desperation and will almost certainly end badly for us.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Gershwin wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 3:58am A high-price, high-risk investment. With our dreadful record in this area, this reeks of desperation and will almost certainly end badly for us.
Inspirational stuff

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Who would want to play in front of 15-20K crowds when you could regularly play in front of 60-80K crowds?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
wally
Club Player

At the start of the year I would have thought we were closer to a premiership than Coll. now I don’t think so.
They have stabilised and if they get their salary cap under control it will be like the old days when everyone wanted to go to magpies, if De Goey wanted success he’d drop the dough and stay put I reckon

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 9:48am At the start of the year I would have thought we were closer to a premiership than Coll. now I don’t think so.
They have stabilised and if they get their salary cap under control it will be like the old days when everyone wanted to go to magpies, if De Goey wanted success he’d drop the dough and stay put I reckon
That's a furphy, "the old days" everyone used Collingwood to bump up their contract. I vividly remember Collingwood mates bemoaning the fact they couldn't get anyone - all these players wanting to go to Collingwood ended up elsewhere.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 9:48am At the start of the year I would have thought we were closer to a premiership than Coll. now I don’t think so.
Pendlebury
Sidebottom
Howe
Miocheck
Cox

All 30 plus they are where they need to be.

older saint
SS Life Member

They still have cap issues at Collingwood, although nowhere near as bad.
I think I they are done with him and all the issues he has caused and without Eddie there to look after his boys he will be gone. They are also looking at expensive player from another club if you believe the whispers so need the space. They also will have to cough up for Grundy even if he goes.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

But what would I know
If I'm DeGoey I'm asking the Pies to stick fat with him but introduce a performance bonus for each winning final he plays in if they want to keep him but pay him less.

It's the long game and it's backing yourself, I recon the Pies would jump at it. It's a chance to become an immortal at the biggest club in Australia.

How do we compete with that?

Groovy Guru
Club Player

If De Gropy does find his way to St Kilda, lets hope that the only thing he puts his hands on is the footy.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

I like most here doubt we are nothing more than a way for de goey to up his contract at the pies and good on him if he does. We should be focused on other less expensive players who will come with ambition and hunger not with full stomachs. Im hoping a few giants come south after this season

chook23
Saintsational Legend

“We have always had board support for us to look at any free agents or tradeable player as long as they fit in our strategy and we have done our due diligence.[We have done work on Jordan De Goey along with all other players that are out as free agents or tradeable players this year, but De Goey is the topical one at the moment,” Lethlean said

Did they do this for Hannebery

saint4life
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 11:42am

But what would I know
If I'm DeGoey I'm asking the Pies to stick fat with him but introduce a performance bonus for each winning final he plays in if they want to keep him but pay him less.

It's the long game and it's backing yourself, I recon the Pies would jump at it. It's a chance to become an immortal at the biggest club in Australia.

I think he'd be happy you're not his manager, pity you weren't Hannebery's and Hill's. Having your optimum pay dictated to by 21 team mates and coaching moves.

I get what you are alluding to but remember Collingwood could have lost 10 games by a kick and the player's pay is now at the low end.

Besides with the AFL's tripe salary cap system and the proviso of a minimum payment then a Club's hands are severely tied.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 1:08pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 11:42am

But what would I know

I think he'd be happy you're not his manager, pity you weren't Hannebery's and Hill's. Having your optimum pay dictated to by 21 team mates and coaching moves.

I get what you are alluding to but remember Collingwood could have lost 10 games by a kick and the player's pay is now at the low end.

Besides with the AFL's tripe salary cap system and the proviso of a minimum payment then a Club's hands are severely tied.
I align with Buck's putting his idea forward recently on a bonus system that is a team reward for reaching team KPIs and not individual KPIs. Makes sense to me for TEAM sports, did you hear Bucks speak about his idea?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I did not but can only imagine that should team KPIs be reached then the players as a club share that team bonus. The stars will still get star wages and the role players will get role player wages.

Good of Bucks to go down this path after his playing career. Did he say whether he pleaded with his manager to have this included instead of or on top of his contract?