Skill level by foot

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Skill level by foot

Teflon

Don’t resort to personal sledging, it weakens your argument!

You forgot to answer
How did Hawthorn go this season?

It’s not a matter if I’m a better coach than Mitchell… it’s whether Ratten is a better coach?!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 21 Aug 2022 10:23pm Guarantee my ‘mate Ross’ finishes top 3 in the B&F

Look for more obvious scapegoats
He very well may do, but maybe take a step back and think about what this possibly says about the state of our list.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Club Player

How many goals left begging from poor skills, and conceded as well. In the first half alone easily 4 potential goals could have been possible had the kick not gone straight to a Sydney player or over the head of the leading player. Dropped marks and fumbles also resulted in at least 3 goals against. Now all players make mistakes but we see the same thing every game. the young players can be excused and hopefully as they get games the composure will come. Battle? Ross? Butler? Billings? Jones? Howard?
Do we train at match intensity? Why has the skill stagnated? If the team keeps giving goals away we will continue to be average. We are a team of too many role players. 50/50 propositions at best - Melbourne, according to the coach is not interested in role players. They want the best the player can offer and expect more than just breaking even. This board is full of people making excuses for mediocrity.
Jack Sinclair is the standout example of what can happen once belief and skill develop. Rookie to one of our best. We are hopeful that some of then younger group will follow his example. They all should train as he does, practice as he does ....
The senior group with limitations need to be moved on - they are NOT the answer .

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
older saint
SS Life Member

B.M wrote: Sun 21 Aug 2022 8:48pm Just shot ourselves in the foot with hideous turnovers and missed goals

Not just this game

But that was the main problem in all losses

Some players just aren’t AFL standard when it comes to disposal

poor execution of skills is the biggest issue at StK
Been singing from this hymn book for the last couple years.
Battle has had a top 10 B & F type years but the amount of turnovers from non pressured kicks( marks or free kicks) occurs regularly - see WB game first qtr.

The Ratten haters will blame the game plan for the inability for players to hit a target and while under pressure or in the flow of the game it may have some substance to it, from an uncontested position it is a player deficiency.
Remember the same game plan is being played by every player on the field and Clark hits Higgins with a perfectly weighted kick into the forward line in the first qtr. It is a lack of skill/care which is the Main reason. Goal kicking is a foot skill which we suck at - kicks straight in front so cant blamne a game plan on those shots ( boundary perhaps yes but nor dead in front )

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 8:42am saynta

My posts above re Seb Ross are not about ‘hate’. I love guys who give their all and I recognise he has done that

We need bash and crash and we need hard workers and we need dedicated professionals like Seb

He’s done it consistently. I understand he will be rated as one of the best on ground yesterday…BUT

We need elite mids who can match it with the very best in the league. We need talent that is worthy of All Australian nomination to propel the team to greatness. We need x factor. We need silk and we can’t keep playing the same midfield if they can only achieve middle of the table results.
Not sure why you have me in your first line in your post as the only comment I have made about Seb since the game is in the votes thread saying he made too many errors to get a vote from me. I was disappointed with aspects of his game yesterday. But the missed handball that resulted in a swans goal wasn't all his fault as the handball went behind him.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 8:46am Teflon

You forgot to answer

It’s not a matter if I’m a better coach than Mitchell… it’s whether Ratten is a better coach?!
Some posters are best ignored mate.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

I've said it before and I'll say it again. No game plan can survive our foot skills!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 8:46am Teflon

You forgot to answer

Your questions irrelevant
Ask relevant questions to the topic
YOU stated ALL AFL clubs basically “train the sane”
Outline Mitchell’s training program at Hawks for us
That’s relevant
It’s like your boorish “if we win 8-3 at end of season are we better or worse” type logic….
Takes no account of HOW we win or lose eg 1 4 quarter game all season ….that’s all the players yeah??

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 1:27pm I've said it before and I'll say it again. No game plan can survive our foot skills!
Good game plans develop consistency
Players know where to run ahead of ball abd in defence
They don’t “make it up as we go” (go read David Rath comments for more on that)
That puts pressure on the whole team
When you’re constantly chasing or playing stop start football under pressure it’s hard to execute skills
Sure, basic skill errors under no pressure are on players
But I suspect many are errors because our taxing, pressure only game plan makes it hard for them

“Yeah….nah””
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 12:03am Not sure it helps any game plan when players miss 30m kicks under no pressure coming out of the backline

Or handball it behind someone running past

Some of the mistakes were fundamental skill errors
Yesterday's loss in isolation, was all about a few critical skill errors under limited pressure. Nothing to do with Coaching, I agree. However, I want to know whether the fact that we slowed down and got cautious in the 3rd was the players or coached.

Our issues is both players and coaching, to what extent we don't really know and hopefully that's determined precisely in the review. I wouldn't have extended Ratten when we did, but this would've been the time to make up our minds.

I think our glaring issue is the midfield, always has been. There is only one A grader in there (Steele), we should play Sinclair there and quite simply we need to build one and that's where our recruiting needs to be focused. The sad reality yesterday was, that without Hannebery we wouldn't have got close.

I think De Goey will stay at Collingwood, but if he doesn't like their offer, we'd be negligent not to get him and then we still need a bit more.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 3:42pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 1:27pm I've said it before and I'll say it again. No game plan can survive our foot skills!
When you’re constantly chasing or playing stop start football under pressure it’s hard to execute skills
But I suspect many are errors because our taxing, pressure only game plan makes it hard for them
We've shown enough over the season to know that we are not poorly coached.
When we are on, we are borderline unstoppable. That's the game plan at work.
We give ourselves plenty of opportunities to score or transition the ball well. But our skills let us down. It's the small things like putting a handball to the chest of a team mate and not their feet or make them stop and take the ball.
It's kicking so the player marks the ball instead of taking it on the bounce and therefore being under pressure with the following possessions in the chain.
It's taking the simple mark instead of dropping a sitter.

We need to execute the basics well. We do not do that consistently.

There is one thing that creeps in far too often and that is a stagnant forward line. Maybe that's a symptom of poor skills, too.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 4:13pm
We give ourselves plenty of opportunities to score or transition the ball well. But our skills let us down. It's the small things like putting a handball to the chest of a team mate and not their feet or make them stop and take the ball.
It's kicking so the player marks the ball instead of taking it on the bounce and therefore being under pressure with the following possessions in the chain.

There is one thing that creeps in far too often and that is a stagnant forward line. Maybe that's a symptom of poor skills, too.
I wish I could thank you twice, What do you know. I have.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 4:13pm

What rot
1 4 quarter game all year …..1???
Lost 8-9 last 10 games from 8-3 (what….all our players skills just suddenly deserted them????)
Bottom 4 in AFL on transition (fact)
Bottom 2 in AFL on last 10 games % and contested ball
Dysfunctional forward line with zero connection upfield
High profile AFL commentators, Montagna the most direct, stating our game plan is outdated ??
And it’s all players dkills are just suddenly bad????
No wonder it’s 1 flag in 140 years….

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Who was our 4 quarter game against?

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Tue 23 Aug 2022 7:39pm Who was our 4 quarter game against?
I would think our first game against the Hawks that's the only game I can recall where we did

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ahh 😌

Against the master coach Sam Mitchell!!

What’d they win… 7 games?!

Hmm 🤔
He may well be a good coach, coaching a s*** list… but if a great coach is all it takes, shouldn’t any AFL team with a ‘great coach’ be playing finals?