Assistant Coaches

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Re: Assistant Coaches

Pendlebury is out of contract .
he's interested in coaching .
I wouldn't mind if we offered him a 3 yr deal playing / mentoring /coaching like brisbane did with hodge .

In red white and black from 73
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 7:00pm Not really,

Probably more about making a call that people didn’t like hearing
I doubt it

3/4 of this board post opinions that others don’t like... few ppl get hosed for it unprovokingly. When it does happen, the posts are usually a lot more emotional than indicated

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

tony74 wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 6:48pm I’ll put up with a lot of criticism of our club on this forum but some of the vitriol and untruths written about our assistants are not on.
No.1. Often the players who have not excelled at the highest level are often the best tacticians ( they have had to use every single thing they can find to play the game at any level)
No.2 . Often the elite players are the worst coaches ( basically because everything came naturally to them as players)
No.3. Unless you have been to training multiple times don’t believe what the website tells you on each coaches role, most of you are way off
No.4. The assistant coaches some of you are potting have been with the club for quite a few years ( you don’t last long if you haven’t got the goods ) eg. Brereton, Dixon, Slater
No.5. There will be movement among the coaches but you know what most of them will get a gig somewhere else so they can’t be all bad ( every club needs new blood )
No. 6. Don’t bag them, they work damn damn hard ( and no I’m not one of them ) but I do watch them.
Onya Tony! I am pleased to see what you acknowledge in points 1 and 2. Point 1 - anybody heard of Alan Jeans? Chris Fagan is travelling OK. Point 2 - in country footy it is common for players to apply to coach under age teams. I only ever asked 1 question in panel interviews. "If you were asked to explain to a class of grade 1 kids how to play football, what would you say?" That stopped many of them in their tracks as they were good enough players to just do it without ever thinking about it. Tim Watson comes to mind at St Kilda.

Saint supporter since '62
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Lenny hayes.

Though he'll more likely be at Lyon's side guiding the Blues into a GF within two years.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 8:50pm Lenny hayes.

Though he'll more likely be at Lyon's side guiding the Blues into a GF within two years.
That would seriously piss me off

“Yeah….nah””
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Just from reading the comments it seems like Lade will be leaving. Not sure about Hamill. The new coach hasn't been appointed so how could he be moving to Carlton?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Contracted

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 9:25pmContracted
Shame if Lade is contracted cause I think he needs to go

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 8:50pm Lenny hayes.

Would be a terrible decision for Lenny IMO

He played under RL for so long, reckon he’d benefit more from a different perspective or two

Am very bullish on Hayes
Played under Blight, GT, RL, Watters and AR (I think)… possibly Watson too
Played in teams rebuilding (both successfully and not), was as close to possible to ultimate success without getting there).

IMO an incredible prospect as a coach

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I dont think anyone potted the assistants Tony.

We were just giving our unqualified opinions.

So if you are going to come and bag people at least have the fortitude to name who at the club you are or are not supporting.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

All three need to go IMO

Need fresh ideas

Shaggy
Club Player

Who was the person celebrated today by the players?

The players called him to lead the players off the ground and brought him into the circle to sing the song.

I saw similar with Choco last night with Melbourne.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 9:51pm I dont think anyone potted the assistants Tony.

So if you are going to come and bag people at least have the fortitude to name who at the club you are or are not supporting.
What. Get a f****** clue..

What a ridiculous request.

<1 day ban for demeaning a poster>

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 10:11pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 9:51pm I dont think anyone potted the assistants Tony.

You just keep showing your class Saynta - I wonder if you are this abrasive in person?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 11:33pm
saynta wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 10:11pm

You just keep showing your class Saynta - I wonder if you are this abrasive in person?
And allowed to do consistently on this site

“Yeah….nah””
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Shaggy wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 9:58pm Who was the person celebrated today by the players?

The players called him to lead the players off the ground and brought him into the circle to sing the song.

I saw similar with Choco last night with Melbourne.
Andrew Wallis (not ex-doggie player)
The club physio, his last game.
14 yrs, 300 games.
On club twitter feed

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I support the BBB movement.

Not the Better Business Bureau.

Bring Banger Back.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

tony74 wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 6:48pm I’ll put up with a lot of criticism of our club on this forum but some of the vitriol and untruths written about our assistants are not on.
No.1. Often the players who have not excelled at the highest level are often the best tacticians ( they have had to use every single thing they can find to play the game at any level)
No.2 . Often the elite players are the worst coaches ( basically because everything came naturally to them as players)
No.3. Unless you have been to training multiple times don’t believe what the website tells you on each coaches role, most of you are way off
No.4. The assistant coaches some of you are potting have been with the club for quite a few years ( you don’t last long if you haven’t got the goods ) eg. Brereton, Dixon, Slater
No.5. There will be movement among the coaches but you know what most of them will get a gig somewhere else so they can’t be all bad ( every club needs new blood )
No. 6. Don’t bag them, they work damn damn hard ( and no I’m not one of them ) but I do watch them.

I'm sure you've got plenty of years watching the club dynamics...but your rant doesn't hold.

You last because you're good? Not at St Kilda....we have had a terrible coach AR with a shocking loss record, players that were so bad we just kept signing contracts with, AND asst coaches that players like but just fall short consistently.

You think Hamill's 4 years as forward coach propelled us upward?

How about his amazing record at Sandringham?
And then he's rewarded with the defense to coach...now this is where he should have been to start. He's done ok here but not incredible.

Lade in the middle....well either Ratts is responsible or it's Lade....or all the midfield....because we are terrible....those are facts not feelings.

wally
Club Player

Wasn’t that long ago Kingsley was bagged here for no having a clue then he goes it Richmond and publicly acclaimed as very good and his name is mentioned in vacant coaching jobs.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 9:27pm
tony74 wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 9:25pmContracted
Shame if Lade is contracted cause I think he needs to go
Based on what?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 23 Aug 2021 2:42am

I'm sure you've got plenty of years watching the club dynamics...but your rant doesn't hold.

You last because you're good? Not at St Kilda....we have had a terrible coach AR with a shocking loss record, players that were so bad we just kept signing contracts with, AND asst coaches that players like but just fall short consistently.

You think Hamill's 4 years as forward coach propelled us upward?

How about his amazing record at Sandringham?
And then he's rewarded with the defense to coach...now this is where he should have been to start. He's done ok here but not incredible.

Lade in the middle....well either Ratts is responsible or it's Lade....or all the midfield....because we are terrible....those are facts not feelings.
Again how can you tell?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Sanctorum
Club Player

I mentioned earlier that I reckon Ratten may look to bring an assistant coach from Hawthorn over to St Kilda and believe ex Tiger player and captain Chris Newman would be ideal. Following is his resume:

"After calling time on a successful 268-game career with the Tigers in 2015, Chris Newman joined Hawthorn in the following off-season as a development coach. A year later, it was announced that Newman would take the reins as Box Hill Senior Coach.

In his maiden season, Box Hill had turned a disappointing 2016 campaign into a second-place finish and a preliminary final berth in 2017. As a result of this transformation, Newman was named VFL Coach of the Year.

The following year his VFL side went two steps better. After a stunning finals campaign that saw a draw and an ‘extra time’ win in the Hawks’ elimination final, they became the first ever VFL side to win a premiership from outside the top four.

Weeks after becoming a VFL premiership coach, Newman was elevated to an assistant coach with Hawthorn.

After a year as stoppages coach, Newman transitioned to backline coach to support the defenders - a role he'll continue into 2021."

The way Hawthorn has come back to play some very good footy in recent months, with a lot of youngsters, speaks volumes for their coaching panel. After 6 years at Hawthorn he could well look to further his coaching career elsewhere.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
minneapolis
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 23 Aug 2021 11:03am I mentioned earlier that I reckon Ratten may look to bring an assistant coach from Hawthorn over to St Kilda and believe ex Tiger player and captain Chris Newman would be ideal. Following is his resume:

"After calling time on a successful 268-game career with the Tigers in 2015, Chris Newman joined Hawthorn in the following off-season as a development coach. A year later, it was announced that Newman would take the reins as Box Hill Senior Coach.

In his maiden season, Box Hill had turned a disappointing 2016 campaign into a second-place finish and a preliminary final berth in 2017. As a result of this transformation, Newman was named VFL Coach of the Year.

The following year his VFL side went two steps better. After a stunning finals campaign that saw a draw and an ‘extra time’ win in the Hawks’ elimination final, they became the first ever VFL side to win a premiership from outside the top four.

Weeks after becoming a VFL premiership coach, Newman was elevated to an assistant coach with Hawthorn.

After a year as stoppages coach, Newman transitioned to backline coach to support the defenders - a role he'll continue into 2021."

The way Hawthorn has come back to play some very good footy in recent months, with a lot of youngsters, speaks volumes for their coaching panel. After 6 years at Hawthorn he could well look to further his coaching career elsewhere.
You would think that a lot of assistants at The Hawks will move on this week.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

If my memory serves me correctly wasnt it Tony74 stating that before the bye there would be two assistant coaches going and that there needed to be change?

Now he comes out in support of all of the assistants? Generally we appreciate your input Tony, but you cant have it both ways on this after your previous statements! Unless of course you are one of the assistants effected?

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

I will always support everyone involved at the club. I am part of the club. Two assistants have already been moved on. That doesn’t mean they weren’t doing their job, it just means it’s time for new blood. I repeat I will always support everyone at the club, I make no apologies about that. Even 4 time premiership coaches get moved on.