Gears 2022 100%

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Recruit
Club Player

Re: Gears 2022 100%

CURLY wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 8:32pm Will be happening
As long as he is not captain and does not play he can stay on the list.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 10:38pm
Teflon wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 10:08pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 9:36pm
Teflon wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 9:22pm Poor move
Weak club decision
Guys injury prone 34 years old cabs can’t let go
IF he keeps a Connolly out next year I’d be livid
Not our future abs holding club to ransom in a selfish move
Disappointed if true.
Hypothetical: we are a finals chance IF we beat the Lions, who do you select this week, Connolly or Gears (assuming he's fit and shown he still has it while playing for Sandy?)

I'll answer, Gears hands down. It doesn't change the fact Connolly is our future, but he's green, real green.
Ok let’s play hypotheticals
Magically Gears is fit (first time in years) and Paton is fit to play small defender shut down role....who do you pick???
Paton - future plus better player
Point is Geary has played 4 good games in last 3 years he’s cooked abs it’s utterly selfish he goes on
He’s not Luke Hodge FFS
In your counter hypothetical, Paton probably isn't getting a game because he's taking longer than expected recovering from a serious leg fracture, the worst kind, anyway thankfully Webster would keep him out of the side due to being a much better option (at the time), back on Connolly though, Gears is an affordable "Luke Hodge" being the point in leau of an actual "Luke Hodge" type being available.

Get used to these types of decisions while the AFL economy is in recession.
I stopped reading at “affordable Luke Hodge” as I felt a small amount on vomit rise up....
Please.....no more nonsense thanks.

“Yeah….nah””
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 8:49pm Love Gears

Silly move

Have Paton, Webster, McKenzie, Connolly who can all play small back

If they do this, it proves they are a bit clueless
Oddly enough I’m almost the complete opposite

Never been a huge Geary fan although I acknowledge he had 2 or 3 seasons where he was rarely beaten as a small defender.

I think it’s a good move. Give him be a playing development coach role at Sandy. Could really help guide a swag of new youngsters next year and teach them good habits about what it takes to make the grade. I don’t want him to play for the St Kilda side though.

Plenty of others to cut before Geary - Frawley, Mckernan, Carlisle, Roberton, Alabakis for starters. Plus we still have 1 or 2 vacancies on the list ?. Leadership is one thing we don’t have an abundance of and having an on field mentor at Sandy like Geary who has extracted the most out of limited ability can only be a positive.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Would he be happen to play at Sandy with no hope of playing AFL

Why not just play for Sandringham and open up a spot for a kid, who like him (at pick 60 in the rookie draft) could end up a ripper

Spots on AFL lists are like gold, and kid given one of those spots could be a Jack Steven, Sam Fisher, James Gwilt, Stephen Milne, Ben Paton, Cal Wilkie, Dylan Roberton, Tim Membrey, Jimmy Webster, Ryan Byrnes, Tom Highmore
All taken after second round, or rookies of DFAs

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 10:48pm
Weak club decision
Disappointed if true.
Hypothetical: we are a finals chance IF we beat the Lions, who do you select this week, Connolly or Gears (assuming he's fit and shown he still has it while playing for Sandy?)

I'll answer, Gears hands down. It doesn't change the fact Connolly is our future, but he's green, real green.
Magically Gears is fit (first time in years) and Paton is fit to play small defender shut down role....who do you pick???
Point is Geary has played 4 good games in last 3 years he’s cooked abs it’s utterly selfish he goes on
He’s not Luke Hodge FFS
In your counter hypothetical, Paton probably isn't getting a game because he's taking longer than expected recovering from a serious leg fracture, the worst kind, anyway thankfully Webster would keep him out of the side due to being a much better option (at the time), back on Connolly though, Gears is an affordable "Luke Hodge" being the point in leau of an actual "Luke Hodge" type being available.

I stopped reading at “affordable Luke Hodge” as I felt a small amount on vomit rise up....
No probs, in the meantime I will keenly watch Connoly, aka "our future" transform us into a flag winning dynasty.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 11:34pm
Teflon wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 10:48pm
Weak club decision
Disappointed if true.

He’s not Luke Hodge FFS

No probs, in the meantime I will keenly watch Connoly, aka "our future" transform us into a flag winning dynasty.
Agree but on Connolly...if I wanted to kick him this week...I could
Unfortunately Gears??? Out injured ...again
Btw Connolly will end up being one of our best kicks in the side...Gears liability

“Yeah….nah””
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 9:45pm
kosifantutti wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 9:32pm
CURLY wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 8:22pm Will be getting a 1 year contract.
Is this opinion or some inside information?
No 💯 happening

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Thu 08 Jul 2021 7:58am
CURLY wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 9:45pm
kosifantutti wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 9:32pm
CURLY wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 8:22pm Will be getting a 1 year contract.
No 💯 happening
Have been told.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 9:05pm Geary will be 34 next season

Has played under half the games in the last 3 seasons

He's had impact injuries rather than soft tissue though. He's still super fit.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

no problem with geary as depth. decent leader and deserves some loyalty back.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Was not best 22 this or last season even when fully fit.

Now you add another year and injuries on top.

St Kilda might as well shut up shop if he is gifted a spot in the 22 next year.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don’t mind this personally as long as we still make a huge dent in turning the list over.

There’s about 12 players that either aren’t good enough, or can’t play due to injury. If we delist close to 6-7 of them, them we can keep guys like Geary or the other maligned talents like Dmac and Dunstan that looked like certain delisting 2 months ago but have fought hard to keep their spot.
If they can get in the park and play now to even a bare minimum standard, it puts them a leg up on the plethora of names that need to go and can’t play at all

Hunter, Kent, McKernan, Frawley, Roberton, Alabakis and one of Joyce/Clavarino for a start
Carlisle, Hannerbery and Lonie pbly stay on the list and shouldn’t

If we make a dent there, Geary can survive the year and play at Sandy without any issues.

Our list clearly has some issues

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 08 Jul 2021 10:10am Was not best 22 this or last season even when fully fit.

Was one of our best in the Final win v the WB. Destroyed Caleb Daniel.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 08 Jul 2021 10:27am
The_Dud wrote: Thu 08 Jul 2021 10:10am Was not best 22 this or last season even when fully fit.

Yes. Using popular parlance, he tore him a new one.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 08 Jul 2021 10:23am I don’t mind this personally as long as we still make a huge dent in turning the list over.

There’s about 12 players that either aren’t good enough, or can’t play due to injury. If we delist close to 6-7 of them, them we can keep guys like Geary or the other maligned talents like Dmac and Dunstan that looked like certain delisting 2 months ago but have fought hard to keep their spot.
If they can get in the park and play now to even a bare minimum standard, it puts them a leg up on the plethora of names that need to go and can’t play at all

Hunter, Kent, McKernan, Frawley, Roberton, Alabakis and one of Joyce/Clavarino for a start
Carlisle, Hannerbery and Lonie pbly stay on the list and shouldn’t

If we make a dent there, Geary can survive the year and play at Sandy without any issues.

Our list clearly has some issues
Makes a lot of sense to me, recruiters at all clubs (especially the 12 "assisted" clubs) for the short term are going to have to be incredibly creative (aka wise with limited budget). All sorts of things will change how recruiting is done while clubs navigate the AFL recession. All types of COVID restrictions will change the way recruiting and football departments are managed including the restricion on payouts and early termination of contracts for players AND coaching staff. I'm expecting the average age of lists will rise over the next 3 to 5 years as a trend as players stay in the AFL system longer. As a result I think players like Carslisle will survive a little longer, don't be surprised if Fraweley goes around again also while we probe for that key fullback that can stand the monster forwards.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 08 Jul 2021 10:27am

He played that role a few times and did well. The Carlton game comes to mind as well.

I’d be happy to have him on the list for another year.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

May struggle to be best 22, but his leadership is critical. Outside Gears, we have hardly any natural leaders.

Our ability to stop momentum time and time again is a result of this.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

cps wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 9:06pm Necessary for on-field leadership (IMHO).
At last, comments from someone who has a f****** clue.👍👍👍

Sanctorum
Club Player

I understand the admiration some supporters have for Jarryn Geary but fail to see why he should be given a 1 year extension just so that he can be another assistant coach whose salary will not be included in the soft cap.

Does anyone really know what qualities/qualifications Geary actually possesses that can contribute to improvement of individual players, he was after all only ever an average player and his leadership skills are hardly in the same league as the more successful AFL skippers in recent times - he's no Pendlebury/Selwood/Cotchin/Ziebel/Gawn/Bontempelli....all of who, like it or not, are truly inspirational and strong erstwhile leaders!!

From what I read, Chips Frawley was brought out of retirement to be a sort of "playing coach" for St Kilda's defence - perhaps if St Kilda want to bring in someone with strong leadership skills, a player that is either just retired or at the end of his career, I can think of no-one better than Nathan Jones who is no longer in Melbourne's "best 22" but oozes leadership and surely he would love to end his illustrious footy career by playing one more year for the team he supported as a kid!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Uncompetitive to reserve a precious list place for a ‘leader’. Can’t imagine Geelong and Richmond etc., wasting a place on their list.

Coaches should do this.

He can be a pure VFL player...fine...but not on the list.

Not good enough when fully fit and will get pole axed because too slow causing more broken bones.

We should have a new captain next year. Steele is a champ but we just don’t have on field leaders. Perhaps Crouch, Wilkie? (Jones will miss with injury too often)

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 08 Jul 2021 12:11pm I understand the admiration some supporters have for Jarryn Geary but fail to see why he should be given a 1 year extension just so that he can be another assistant coach whose salary will not be included in the soft cap.

Does anyone really know what qualities/qualifications Geary actually possesses that can contribute to improvement of individual players, he was after all only ever an average player and his leadership skills are hardly in the same league as the more successful AFL skippers in recent times - he's no Pendlebury/Selwood/Cotchin/Ziebel/Gawn/Bontempelli....all of who, like it or not, are truly inspirational and strong erstwhile leaders!!

From what I read, Chips Frawley was brought out of retirement to be a sort of "playing coach" for St Kilda's defence - perhaps if St Kilda want to bring in someone with strong leadership skills, a player that is either just retired or at the end of his career, I can think of no-one better than Nathan Jones who is no longer in Melbourne's "best 22" but oozes leadership and surely he would love to end his illustrious footy career by playing one more year for the team he supported as a kid!!
With footy dapartment spending reduced by 30%, I'm guessing a new trend is emerging of keeping senior players around a little longer who can provide general assistance and resources to the coaching department, like in any organisation when opperating costs have been slashed, you need to squeeze more from available rersources by asking for multitasking and helping out with non football tasks. And players like Gears are going to take the job due to limited opportunies elswhere, it's win-win even though the pay cut is significant. Better than being on social welfare payments I guess.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 08 Jul 2021 1:11pm
Sanctorum wrote: Thu 08 Jul 2021 12:11pm I understand the admiration some supporters have for Jarryn Geary but fail to see why he should be given a 1 year extension just so that he can be another assistant coach whose salary will not be included in the soft cap.

With footy dapartment spending reduced by 30%, I'm guessing a new trend is emerging of keeping senior players around a little longer who can provide general assistance and resources to the coaching department, like in any organisation when opperating costs have been slashed, you need to squeeze more from available rersources by asking for multitasking and helping out with non football tasks. And players like Gears are going to take the job due to limited opportunies elswhere, it's win-win even though the pay cut is significant. Better than being on social welfare payments I guess.
Pay him as a coach and VFL player, but NOT on the list. I would rather coax Shane Savage out of retirement for one more year than have Gears on the list. It sounds tough, and don’t tell Gears I said it, but if want to be competitive we need to fill all list places with front line players, up and coming stars, and have a ready-to-go (no excuses) tier of carefully picked stand-ins for injury. This second tier needs to be picked very carefully…they gotta be gung ho, ready to go, just like Shane Savage was last year. Gears is a great competitor, and he’ll probably retire and with great respect from all, and the pragmatic among us won’t say anything unbecoming, because if he leaves on his own accord, it will nice to be nice, so to speak.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Thu 08 Jul 2021 11:42am May struggle to be best 22, but his leadership is critical. Outside Gears, we have hardly any natural leaders.

Our ability to stop momentum time and time again is a result of this.
He did play against the Dogs this year as well as the Swans (a game we should have won). If it's on field leadership that has him getting a game, he is struggling. Perhaps we can draft Mike Brearley. Geary can be our runner.

A brave but limited St Kilda warrior that got the best from himself for the Club, time to let him and the Club move on.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Leadership is hardly the problem

Has
Steele, Howard, Membrey, Ross stood up this year?

He have no issue with leadership

It’s the ring below who need to step up

older saint
SS Life Member

One year not big money makes a lot of sense as the alternative is a kid at pick 70 plus which history or the league, not just St.kilda, says will take the same money, not play in the first season and may not last longer than 3 seasons anyway. It provides someone who can come in play multiple roles where injuries hit and also teach at a lower level ( not affecting the soft cap)