Gears ... broken leg fears

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gears ... broken leg fears

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 29 Jan 2021 7:02pm
The Billings Method wrote: Fri 29 Jan 2021 1:58pm What an irony that we lose our incumbent captain on the same day Hawthorn appoints one of our exes as their captain in Ben McEvoy. Big boy was often touted as a future captain of our club. Excellent choice by the hawks. The trade that saw him go to Hawthorn, not so much.

Another stroke of genius that was brought to you by the finest Vaudeville act of recruiting and list management, the Trout and the Pelican.
Don't forget Bains had his fingerprints over all those decisions as well.

Bains came before and left after Pelican. On the plus side he fixed the contract mess that he inherited. On the negative side he got too involved o the talent side of list management which he had no talent for. I have a feeling that he thought he could be a Moneyball type Guru, whereas he was the opposite.

His pick swap with the Hawks as they were desperate to land JoM was a very good deal though.

But talent selection.... :(

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 29 Jan 2021 7:42pm
Wayne42 wrote: Fri 29 Jan 2021 7:02pm
The Billings Method wrote: Fri 29 Jan 2021 1:58pm What an irony that we lose our incumbent captain on the same day Hawthorn appoints one of our exes as their captain in Ben McEvoy. Big boy was often touted as a future captain of our club. Excellent choice by the hawks. The trade that saw him go to Hawthorn, not so much.

Another stroke of genius that was brought to you by the finest Vaudeville act of recruiting and list management, the Trout and the Pelican.
Don't forget Bains had his fingerprints over all those decisions as well.
Bains came before and left after Pelican. On the plus side he fixed the contract mess that he inherited. On the negative side he got too involved o the talent side of list management which he had no talent for. I have a feeling that he thought he could be a Moneyball type Guru, whereas he was the opposite.

His pick swap with the Hawks as they were desperate to land JoM was a very good deal though.

But talent selection.... :(
Don't disagree but Membrey? Roberton? Bruce?

No too bad.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 29 Jan 2021 9:50pm
Don't disagree but Membrey? Roberton? Bruce?

No too bad.
With talent acquisition it is looking at the whole, and not just a few.

It is a bit like the punters who tell you about their big win, but never mention their greater overall losses.

St Kilda we were frtunate that some of the "roughies" got up. But a lot of the key plays under Bains did not.
Though one winner was the swap that gained effectively Gresh and Carlisle. Though the negative is that without the other main strategies working that we gained Carlisle too early as the rest of our list was not good enough.

Bains joined us in Jan 2011. Pelchen joined in Aug 2011 as one of Bains recruits, and was gone by Oct 2014.

Article from July 2015
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... o-st-kilda

Bains was part of a strategic review, alongside Chris Pelchen, which identified a need to rebuild the list along the lines of the successful Port Adelaide and Hawthorn blueprints. As Bains notes, “unless something dramatic happened, we were going to go into the wilderness for a period of time… Whilst the draft and other measures over time can help square things up, we needed to take a more proactive approach to transforming the list.”

The pillars of that strategy required Viv Richards-style boldness: bringing in a rash of extra first-round picks through an aggressive trading strategy. Whether by circumstance or design, the early stages of the rebuild appear to be vindicated, with the haul of 2013 and 2014 especially vaunted by football pundits.

So how are those hauls from 2013 and 2014 looking?

Not to mention the draft pick deals we used for Hickey and Tom Lee.

Now in theory the strategies sounded fine, but in the end the club under Bains tried to be too clever and chose the wrong players.

Taking Petracca being another too clever move that failed when the club under Bains went for the key forward as they panicked over what the Dogs paid for the overrated Boyd.

And how did that strategy of the extra work picks work out? McEvoy and Stanley both still running around at the clubs we traded with whereas our gains were of lesser value.

and

The strategic view under Bains is realistic and requires a couple of years of pain; hence Bains doesn’t foresee drafting any high-end free agents as a priority. “There’s no point bringing these high-priced free agents that will help us get from 13th to 10th to eighth, as opposed to taking us from eighth to sixth to first,” he says, his mind quite clearly on taking St Kilda right back to the top in the not-too-distant future.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I agree. I touched on this above.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
fugazi 2021

Bad luck to Gears.
Plenty of time to get back from a fibula though.

Should transition to Steele as captain and our best team doesn't include Gears IMHO.

Sinclair, Higgins, Ross, Bytel are all hovering around for the last spot or two in the team. I'd prefer to see games go into these guys.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

That's 3 nasty leg injuries on two seasons with the thigh & two breaks.
If you have break a leg bone the fibula is the best go, but how much will these injuries have on Gearys ability to cover the ground and pace. He already looked slowish last year.

I've been a fan of this quality individual, but injuries and time are marking his future in my humble opinion.

I'm pretty sure if he's cooked he'll walk, but will make a great assistance coach somewhere and possibly a future senior coach.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
fugazi 2021

I'd have him as playing- assistant coach this year at Sandy.
Would be great developing the next raft of senior players

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Like the Terminator
He'll be back

Seeya
The Billings Method
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Sat 30 Jan 2021 1:54pm Like the Terminator
He'll be back
My wife threw me out because of my terrible Arnold Schwarzenegger impersonations, but not to worry, "I'll return."

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.