Roberton considering retirement

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.rod
Club Player

Re: Roberton considering retirement

Definately one of my favourite players who gave it all for our beloved saints. Ideally would love him to play on and get those 9 games to lock in his sons under father son rule. Not worth it if his heart is under stress though. Has to be retained at the club if he retires. God we've been cursed with Robbo and McCartin! God bless you Dyl.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Such a quality player.

Let’s not forget. Am I wrong here? He was picked ahead of Carlisle for that first game last year.

I imagine he would have been so good when we were found wanting in the third quarter of last season.

Guy had his first kid at at 21..and two more by the age of 24! .For all you fathers out there...I guess that means something.

Must be a story here, something we do not know.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Harves Man
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 13 Jan 2021 8:30pm Certainly wont be a rash decision, he has given plenty of time to getting right. He must be a bit sad right now, but he will make the best decision - just like he did with his wonderful forays from the last line of defence.
Wonderful way to put it and perhaps your most poignant post. Couldn't agree more and I am very sad to hear of this development.

Like a couple of posters, I think of Roberton as automatic top 22 material, just as he would be wherever he played (i.e. whatever position). It was common a few years ago for him to play against bigger, heavier opponents and beat them with his agility and intelligence. He really is pure class as a player - very sad situation.

At least, as other posters have suggested, with his football "smarts", he could easily have another career outside of an actual playing role.

Harves Man
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Fri 15 Jan 2021 8:33am our best defender since dempster. a real pity what has happened. an in form robbo continuing on from 2017 form would waltz into this team and we'd be all the better for it. all the best to him.
Yes! That's exactly how I see it.

ace
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Fri 15 Jan 2021 7:29am
SuperDuper wrote: Fri 15 Jan 2021 1:23am
bigred wrote: Wed 13 Jan 2021 8:22pm No he wont just be paid out.

He cannot fulfill his contract. His payment would a negotiated amount at best.
Does anyone know the rule about this?
If he retires due to a health issue, will he get paid out in full? In part? negotiate a new role at the club?
If he retires for health issues, will his 2021 salary be counted in our salary cap or does it open up a bunch of money?

Anybody have an idea of the dollar value of his contract?
Dollars aren't worth so much these days.
That is why all new bank notes have a clear section in the middle.
To indicate that they are not worth as much as bank notes in the past.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

With a heart condition he needs to be much more careful not to contract coivd-19.
He can't behave blasé like most kids in their 20s.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.