I believe the delisting of Savage is a mistake.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: I believe the delisting of Savage is a mistake.

I think it’s a mistake too.

I would have liked to have seen Ben playing as a purely defensive forward.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Boy could he roost a ball.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

More than a depth player ....

Elite kick ... going at 80% plus DE!!
Elite metres gained.
Elite speed ... in a game in 2017 he ran a top speed of 37.1 km/hr ... which is faster than Hill's 36.6 km/hr.
Averaged around 20 running, rebounding possessions in 2019.

Totally ignored and wrongly scapegoated in 2020.

Good one, Saint's brain trust/decision makers.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood tried using Afterpay style financing - doesn't work financially or team harmony wise. That's what mistakes look like.
My guess is when the decision to not renew Shane was made it wasn't a direct trade off consideration between DMac and him at all. Its team balance and TPP. if you are not a key piece of the premiership jigsaw you are vulnerable. High pay, high risks. Shane would be set up for life, yes?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

For someone regarded as a great kick, he rarely hits targets when it counts. Long bombs are a remnant of the Richardson era and have no place in the current set-up. Ratten , when he took over, expressed a desire to have more players who could use the ball effectively. That is why Savage got replaced by Paton. It's the same reason Mckenzie will spend the rest of his contract playing for Sandringham. Half backs who are poor kicks are a massive liability as they concede goals to the opposition and also deny scoring opportunities for their own team. ....it's a double loss. In losses where margins are less than four goals, you can bet that turnovers from the back half are the difference in many cases.

I hope Savage gets another gig. He was good for us under the previous coaching era, but now things are different.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Tue 24 Nov 2020 9:34am For someone regarded as a great kick, he rarely hits targets when it counts. Long bombs are a remnant of the Richardson era and have no place in the current set-up. Ratten , when he took over, expressed a desire to have more players who could use the ball effectively. That is why Savage got replaced by Paton. It's the same reason Mckenzie will spend the rest of his contract playing for Sandringham. Half backs who are poor kicks are a massive liability as they concede goals to the opposition and also deny scoring opportunities for their own team. ....it's a double loss. In losses where margins are less than four goals, you can bet that turnovers from the back half are the difference in many cases.

I hope Savage gets another gig. He was good for us under the previous coaching era, but now things are different.
From what I’ve read this seems to be the deal.

But I wondered why they didn’t try him as a sweeping forward. Bombing the ball between the goal posts presents a wider target than pinpointing a running player downfield.

The way he slotted that goal in the final ....

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Josh Battle
Club Player

samoht wrote: Tue 24 Nov 2020 8:57am More than a depth player ....

Elite kick ... going at 80% plus DE!!
Elite metres gained.
Elite speed ... in a game in 2017 he ran a top speed of 37.1 km/hr ... which is faster than Hill's 36.6 km/hr.
Averaged around 20 running, rebounding possessions in 2019.

Totally ignored and wrongly scapegoated in 2020.

Good one, Saint's brain trust/decision makers.
The post by crwcyn sums it up best for me. I'm rapt that our head coach doesn't view raw stats when he decides on team selection.In any case, I think there have been many scapegoated at various clubs including ours because of the cuts to lists and the unfortunate timing for some who were out of contract.

Savage can't fill in at CHB or Full Back. I think Shane can be useful as depth, but clearly he's behind Coff/Carke/Long/Paton and if Chipper Frawley is recruited there's another. Robbo and Webster were lucky they had a contract. Maybe they would have been delisted before Shane was
Last edited by Josh Battle on Tue 24 Nov 2020 10:17am, edited 1 time in total.

apples1403

While a talented player, he was too much of a downhill skier.

We need players who are mentally tough and can stop the opposition when they have momentum.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 5:46pm
saynta wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 5:12pm
SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 4:59pm At 29 years old he still has at least 2 years left in him at the top level. We are now in the premiership window so a player like Sav could be very valuable. I can see why they did what the did but I would have rather they paid out McKenzie and kept Sav.
So, you know more than the club's list management team, do you?
It’s a site where people express opinions. We can’t all agree with the club all of the time.
saynta wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 12:13pm Huge mistake and has me reconsidering whether to commit to paying for all 7 memberships next year.

f****** really pissed off.

The premiers thought he was worth a spot on their list but the high and mighty perennial losers didn't.
Just how much of your life did you waste before you found that quote? :roll: :roll:

Seeing I was paying for nine memberships the past few years , that's a very old quote.

Think i was referring to the BJ decision wasn't I? Different admin these days to when that f***wit pelchen was there. :roll:

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 24 Nov 2020 10:36am
SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 4:59pm At 29 years old he still has at least 2 years left in him at the top level. We are now in the premiership window so a player like Sav could be very valuable. I can see why they did what the did but I would have rather they paid out McKenzie and kept Sav.
It’s a site where people express opinions. We can’t all agree with the club all of the time.
saynta wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 12:13pm Huge mistake and has me reconsidering whether to commit to paying for all 7 memberships next year.

The premiers thought he was worth a spot on their list but the high and mighty perennial losers didn't.
Just how much of your life did you waste before you found that quote? :roll: :roll:

Seeing I was paying for nine memberships the past few years , that's a very old quote.

Think i was referring to the BJ decision wasn't I? Different admin these days to when that f***wit pelchen was there. :roll:
Mav Weller? 😁

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 5:45pm The club has gone over everything wirh a fine-toothed comb.
They're possibly feeling the impact of Hanna's contract, and cannot afford to pay out DMack- and nobody is banging on his manager's door to offer to pay him on our behalf.

I don't remember DMack being an emergency at all this year?
So the coaches rate Sav higher than DMack.

Just IMHO
Hannebery's contract is not our issue and it's rarely has been. For the record - his contract was heavily front ended (as it could be because we were barely paying anyone else). Stuv, Billings, Carlisle, Roberton were all being paid the same if not more at the time.

The majority of Hannebery's contract has now been paid - he's now on not much more than any other reasonable midfielder.

In the context of keeping someone like Savage (whom I still really like as a player) - our biggest issue is McKenzie's 'still 2 years to go' ridiculous contract - plus Dunstan, Webster Ross, Joyce. being unable to dump these guys' salary conspired against against us affording Treloar and given we want to draft at least 2 kids + Frawley - we need room on the list. Sadly, none of McKenzie, Dunstan, Webster Ross and Joyce will play senior footy at all next year if we have the same reasonable run with injury (and there's a lot of $ tied up in them).

Go you red, black & white warriors
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Who said we were trying to dump Ross apart from a few fake ITK's on this site. Certainly the saints admin weren't.

That's the sort of bulls*** posting posing as fact that makes trade week so unbearable on this forum

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Not an old quote at all and not hard to find and nothing to do with Pelchen or BJ. It’s from November last year and refers to Biggy Nyoun.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Sanctorum
Club Player

SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 10:49pm
You are either incorrect or have mis-understood what I posted. A club is perfectly entitled to pay out a player. McKenzie has 2 years left on his contract at an estimated $350,000. St Kilda can if they wish, delist him now by paying him $700,000. This would free up a spot but it would add $700,000 to this years Total Player Payments (TTP)
And that's the dilemma SP66, salary caps are much tighter for 2021, paying out DMack effectively means an empty spot that costs K350 for 2021 and 2022, which doesn't make sense. I also rate Shane Savage but believe the club's football department know what they're doing and as someone pointed out, he is merely a depth player now having been surpassed by Coffield, Paton and Long.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
SaintPelican66
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 24 Nov 2020 11:38am
SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 10:49pm
You are either incorrect or have mis-understood what I posted. A club is perfectly entitled to pay out a player. McKenzie has 2 years left on his contract at an estimated $350,000. St Kilda can if they wish, delist him now by paying him $700,000. This would free up a spot but it would add $700,000 to this years Total Player Payments (TTP)
And that's the dilemma SP66, salary caps are much tighter for 2021, paying out DMack effectively means an empty spot that costs K350 for 2021 and 2022, which doesn't make sense. I also rate Shane Savage but believe the club's football department know what they're doing and as someone pointed out, he is merely a depth player now having been surpassed by Coffield, Paton and Long.
But if we pay McKenzie out now, his wage ($700k) will only count in the 2020 salary cap. That would mean we would have one extra spot on the list for 2021 and 2022.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I wasn't aware of that, didn't realise payouts were dealt with retrospectively....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
asiu
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 24 Nov 2020 10:04am
cwrcyn wrote: Tue 24 Nov 2020 9:34am

But I wondered why they didn’t try him as a sweeping forward. Bombing the ball between the goal posts presents a wider target than pinpointing a running player downfield.

i’m surprised the long roost isn’t used more
to combat a crowded forward line
... take em out of play

run a pair of em
a lefty and a righty playing their fat side

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

asiu wrote: Tue 24 Nov 2020 12:04pm
cwrcyn wrote: Tue 24 Nov 2020 9:34am

i’m surprised the long roost isn’t used more
to combat a crowded forward line
... take em out of play

run a pair of em
a lefty and a righty playing their fat side
Club wanted to address inaccuracy, so changed forward tactics to get the ball very close in before having a shot.

I've seen stats on our goals from 15-30m out, and we're high up in qty and quality.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
asiu
Saintsational Legend

yea

i remember Ratts sayn the plan was to get it to 30

for some obscure reason like its harder to miss from there !!

they done good
15 -30 better than plan

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 24 Nov 2020 11:14am

Not an old quote at all and not hard to find and nothing to do with Pelchen or BJ. It’s from November last year and refers to Biggy Nyoun.
Oh, okay.Yeah, it will prove to be a big mistake and I'm still pissed off. OK? No sorry from me.

Glad you have so much time on your hands. Me personally? I couldn't give a fat rat's half eaten toss bag what someone posted last year FFS. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

saintly
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Tue 24 Nov 2020 9:34am For someone regarded as a great kick, he rarely hits targets when it counts. Long bombs are a remnant of the Richardson era and have no place in the current set-up. Ratten , when he took over, expressed a desire to have more players who could use the ball effectively. That is why Savage got replaced by Paton. It's the same reason Mckenzie will spend the rest of his contract playing for Sandringham. Half backs who are poor kicks are a massive liability as they concede goals to the opposition and also deny scoring opportunities for their own team. ....it's a double loss. In losses where margins are less than four goals, you can bet that turnovers from the back half are the difference in many cases.

in the richo era, they tried Savage in the middle and up forward and found that he was much better down back. but he long bombs it and does not lower his eyes which is what Ratts wants.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 24 Nov 2020 1:40pm
kosifantutti wrote: Tue 24 Nov 2020 11:14am

Oh, okay.Yeah, it will prove to be a big mistake and I'm still pissed off. OK? No sorry from me.

Glad you have so much time on your hands. Me personally? I couldn't give a fat rat's half eaten toss bag what someone posted last year FFS. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Turn it up! That's not nice saynta.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 24 Nov 2020 11:57am I wasn't aware of that, didn't realise payouts were dealt with retrospectively....
No not retrospectively. If we pay him out today it will count towards the 2020 TPP. I assume the cut-off is Dec 31. If it is then if we paid him out in Jan it would count in the 2021 TPP. I'm just not sure when the end of year cut-off is.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Am entertained by the evolution of the rat’s tossbag.

repta
Club Player

THe salary cap must be getting tight for the Saints, with big money going to Hanneberry, Hill, Couch etc
Also with the emergence of next next tier (Clarke, Wilke, Battle, King ,Coffield) they would be looking at future planning.
Cant afford to dump Dmac for someone like Savage. All it would do is use up valuable salary cap space for mediocre players.

Savage is just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Cant see him being rookied.