GWS looking at Savage

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: GWS looking at Savage

List lodgement No 1 today, Jonathan Marsh delisted but Savage still on OUR list.
But no news of a contract or for Clavarino.
Lonie and Carlisle yet to sign contracts on offer.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

That's now 11 players off the 2020 playing list, that is some churn.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saintly
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 22 Nov 2020 8:49pm
Feel for the bloke he was a very handy player & I wish him all the best in what ever he chooses to do next . As a supporter I would like to say thanks Shane for you're contribution to the St.Kilda Football Club

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Why is the Irish guy still on the list?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Agreed.

It’s one thing to cut the borderline AFL players but Savage is a guy that was ready made depth. Could walk into the team off limited game time and be ready to go.

Big decision to let him go

hotdish
Club Player

How do you delist a bloke that just played in a final? jesus.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote: Sun 22 Nov 2020 9:18pm Agreed.

It’s one thing to cut the borderline AFL players but Savage is a guy that was ready made depth. Could walk into the team off limited game time and be ready to go.

Big decision to let him go
Yeah mate I agree very hard to let a seasoned campaigner like Savage go but as I stated in other posts AFL is a brutal business & hard decisions have to be made to get to the level required, only time will tell if we are on the money :idea:

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Gags has made some inspired decisions, like Howard and Ryder, Butler, etc.
Is this a 'hard but necessary' decision, or is it a rare error?
Shane was always better than DMack, but sadly DMack is still contracted and we can't shop him around, so we're stuck with him.

We won't know the effect of cutting #5 until maybe late next year; but at the moment it's a weird kick-in-the-guts feeling

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
ace
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 22 Nov 2020 9:17pm Why is the Irish guy still on the list?
He has a contract just like McKenzie.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Everyone without a contract has been cut except for Carlisle, Lonie and Clavarino (Alabakis does not matter as he can be extended as Rookie type B).
Carlisle and Lonie have been offered contracts but not signed.

ace
Saintsational Legend

If I can't have Savage then I want VICIOUS

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote: Sun 22 Nov 2020 9:56pm How do you delist a bloke that just played in a final? jesus.
How do you keep a 29 year old on the list when he could only get 2 games all year?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintly
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 22 Nov 2020 9:17pm Why is the Irish guy still on the list?

because he along with Mckenzie have a contract.

stkfc1
Club Player

DMac and Joyce should feel very lucky as Id suggest the only reason they're still on the list is because of poor judgement of their contracts otherwise they'd have been shown the door before others. For the life of me, I still don understand how DMac was given a 3 year contract.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

stkfc1 wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 7:52am DMac and Joyce should feel very lucky as Id suggest the only reason they're still on the list is because of poor judgement of their contracts otherwise they'd have been shown the door before others. For the life of me, I still don understand how DMac was given a 3 year contract.
How many times do people have to be told this?
He was given a contract on the back of a year that he finished top 10 in the BnF.
It was a reasonable decision at the time but in hindsight has shown to be incorrect.
Hindsight is always 20/20.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

guess dmac was in the right place at the right time. shows how bad our list was at the time, and how much better it is now. one more year of excess baggage.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
diddley
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 9:03am guess dmac was in the right place at the right time. shows how bad our list was at the time, and how much better it is now. one more year of excess baggage.
*2 more years of excess baggage.
He signed an extension for 3 years early in 2019, but by the end of that year, was barely considered a depth player. 2020 was the first year of the contract.

ace
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 6:15am
hotdish wrote: Sun 22 Nov 2020 9:56pm How do you delist a bloke that just played in a final? jesus.
How do you keep a 29 year old on the list when he could only get 2 games all year?
Yes he was not in the best 22 but both Marsh and Savage came into the team when required, they were genuine depth players who come in when a best 22 was injured.

They were not list cloggers who could not get a game even when the team had injuries.
They did play but now when the team gets injuries will not be available.
Instead someone who could not get a game in 2020 will have to take their place.
This weakens the team.

Both Marsh and Savage have been delisted because the club has traded in 3 players but has been unable to trade out list cloggers, only Hind was traded out.
That increased the senior list at a time where the AFL reduced the senior list by 2.
The club had to clear space for at least one pick, they have elected to draft or gather 3 incoming players.
That has meant a net of 7 senior players having to depart along with 3 unwanted rookies.

This has meant that all uncontracted list cloggers have been removed but required depth had to be trimmed because contracted list cloggers could not be removed.

Marsh and Savage leave because Joyce and McKenzie have contracts.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 10:09am
Yes he was not in the best 22 but both Marsh and Savage came into the team when required, they were genuine depth players who come in when a best 22 was injured.

They were not list cloggers who could not get a game even when the team had injuries.
This weakens the team.

Both Marsh and Savage have been delisted because the club has traded in 3 players but has been unable to trade out list cloggers, only Hind was traded out.
That increased the senior list at a time where the AFL reduced the senior list by 2.
The club had to clear space for at least one pick, they have elected to draft or gather 3 incoming players.
That has meant a net of 7 senior players having to depart along with 3 unwanted rookies.

This has meant that all uncontracted list cloggers have been removed but required depth had to be trimmed because contracted list cloggers could not be removed.

Marsh leaves because he's no good. As for Savage he would be behind a fit Webster in any normal season.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 10:09am

This weakens the team.

Reckon we will only take one player in the draft, add Chips as a free agent and promote our one remaining Rookie, Wilkie.

repta
Club Player

Shame to see both Marsh and Savage leaving.

Both did very well when they were called upon this year.

Reality is that we have bought in 3 players that will all get games before these two and have not traded away anyone (maybe except Hind). Savage and Marsh are getting older and will not get any better, what they are now is as good as it gets. If we are to move forward and have a long lasting period of success neither Savage or Marsh will be part of the team. They cant get rid of DMac because of the contract.

However if the injuries do get to a position that either of these two will play they should be playing the kids. Both Marsh and Savage got finals games because we needed the experience in the finals. If it wasnt season on the line it would have been pretty doubtful they would have played.

I have always thought that we didnt take advantage of Savages best asset (his long kicking). But really he is a one trick pony. Marsh is a solid contributor and did what needs to be done without any fuss.

older saint
SS Life Member

Salary cap awareness is a factor here along with reduced list sizes.
Bring in at least 2 draft picks and perhaps rookie another 3 means 5 players whose salary is not currntly on the books.
Tough decisions needed to be made on players and as stated those with a contract had a huge leg up on thiose without. They seem to have taken an approach to those without contracts of "Are they possibly to be here for the next 3 years?"
Both Lonie and Carlisle , if they have good seasons the answer is yes, Savage at 29 with Webster, Roberton, and McKenzie all contracted options for his spot misses. Marsh probably answer is no also , henec gone.

Yes Richo time saw many poor contracts however the good news is next year we have several players off the books and can make hard decisions on some players as to wanto to keep, want to trade or let go.
Will be interesting to see if they rookie any delisted players.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Agree, he is obviously only going to remain on the fringe at St Kilda and I expect if other clubs were interested he would have gone elsewhere by now.

Got to trust the club's judgement on the makeup of the list, and they obviously have some other players in mind to bring in....wouldn't be surprised if Lonie is next to go!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist