Maybe Lonie and Savage on the move

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Barometer
Club Player

Re: Maybe Lonie and Savage on the move

skeptic wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:56pm Savage to HBF
Long to FP

Trade Lonie if we can get a good swap for him
Kent to Siberia
Long thinks about the next possession after his. Much better at attacking from defence. Savage belts it forward. Much prefer Long at HBF.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

skeptic wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:56pm
Kent to Siberia
That's still too close for comfort.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I thought Savage was handy & Lonie was a spectator . IMO get a second rounder for Lonie take it

saintbob
SS Life Member

Seriously Lonie has embarrassed our great jumper enough, f*** him off!!!

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 3:42pm
saynta wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 2:23pm From the heraldsun.com.au

CLUBS CIRCLE SAINT LONIE

"Jack Lonie has as many as four suitors – three from Victoria – as he attempts to secure a two-season deal from the Saints.

Heading into the final against Richmond Lonie had played 12 games for 46 score involvements and a dozen goals as one of the success stories for Brett Ratten’s Saints.

But he has been offered only a one-season deal and would want enough security in a two-season deal to stay put.

The Bulldogs are one of those teams keen to add some bite to their half forward line as Cody Weightman takes time to mature, with Tory Dickson having retired and Ben Cavarra having failed to make an impact after being recruited from the VFL.

St Kilda’s Shane Savage, coming in for only his second game of the season for the final given Ben Long’s suspension, has interest from rival clubs and will likely move on after this season."

Can understand Savage as saints can't play them all but would be crazy not to try and hold on to Lonie
With Lonie it depends who our recruiting staff have their eyes on - maybe someone who replaces Lonie in the team next year?
If they're recruiting Midfielders then Gresham goes back to his small forward role with only an occasional run in the middle.
I'd have him over Lonie in that position.
With ya, Maj. If value can be exchanged, Lonie's very expendable - tonight showed that. He's very, very one sided, and lacks the physical strength to compete in tough contests.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 4:20pm There were big question marks about Jack Lonie's future two years ago as well.

At age 24 and 75 games he is exactly the sort of player that the club needs in the upcoming years, and I would be very surprised if St Kilda don't offer him at least another 2 or even 3 more years, he is most certainly "best 22" right now and will only get better!
Nah, struggles to win his own ball, and that's imperative these days - not every contest, but certainly occasionally.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:13pm Lonie is too short/small for the torrid finals .... I would have even preferred someone like Langlands intsead - someone bigger-bodied, anyway.
Maybe even Parker?
Not Parker, but you're central point is right - "too short/small for the torrid finals" - bang on - saw it tonight

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Lonie is surplus to requirements so is Savage. Savage has served his purpose and been good for the club. Saints are crying out for mids!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Luke Dunstan might also have some trade currency. No idea what the club is thinking but I reckon Lonie, Savage, Webster, McKenzie, Roberton would all be in the mix. Billings and Ross too if the price is right. Kent shouldn’t play again IMO. Has never looked like a consistent AFL quality player. He has another year on his contract though - is that right? So I guess he’ll be on the list again.

StPeter
Club Player

The Barometer wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:59pm
StPeter wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:31pm Savage showed tonight he is too good to be out of our best 22.

Still well ahead of Paton.
Savage is not a smart user of the football. Paton is. Paton is the future.
I totally disagree. Paton often hesitates with the ball and is too slow making decisions.
He certainly has potential but in our bottom 3 against Richmond. His opponent was their matchwinner and close to BOG.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Just about Payton’s poorest game for the year and probably due to the heavy elbow to the head causing a lot of blood.
Has been very good this season and beaten most of the dangerous small forwards.

One year will be our year
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 2:55pm Luke Dunstan might also have some trade currency. No idea what the club is thinking but I reckon Lonie, Savage, Webster, McKenzie, Roberton would all be in the mix. Billings and Ross too if the price is right. Kent shouldn’t play again IMO. Has never looked like a consistent AFL quality player. He has another year on his contract though - is that right? So I guess he’ll be on the list again.
I believe so.

On decent coin too.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

A bit harsh on Paton.

He was off the ground for at least one of Bolton’s goal having brain surgery after being bashed at the back of the head by Lynch.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 4:09pm A bit harsh on Paton.

He was off the ground for at least one of Bolton’s goal having brain surgery after being bashed at the back of the head by Lynch.
Bolton kicked 2 out of his ass. Wasn't to be for the Saints

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 2:37pm Lonie is surplus to requirements so is Savage. Savage has served his purpose and been good for the club. Saints are crying out for mids!
Lonie had a poor night, but has contributed more than Kent throughout the year, even having played fewer games.

I don’t understand the logic of our selectors

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 4:07pm
st.byron wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 2:55pm Luke Dunstan might also have some trade currency. No idea what the club is thinking but I reckon Lonie, Savage, Webster, McKenzie, Roberton would all be in the mix. Billings and Ross too if the price is right. Kent shouldn’t play again IMO. Has never looked like a consistent AFL quality player. He has another year on his contract though - is that right? So I guess he’ll be on the list again.
I believe so.

On decent coin too.
That was a poor decision. To give a fringe GOP 3 years on decent money. He’s never really shown any consistency. Flashes of doing something noticeable and a goal here or there but no consistency to warrant a best 22 place. And his rubber chest in the elimination final was embarrassing.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

No way a club champion and a club leader should ever be traded for f*** sake.

Gershwin
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 4:25pm
magnifisaint wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 2:37pm Lonie is surplus to requirements so is Savage. Savage has served his purpose and been good for the club. Saints are crying out for mids!
Lonie had a poor night, but has contributed more than Kent throughout the year, even having played fewer games.

Nobody wants Kent.

summertime and the living is easy ........
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 4:59pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 4:25pm

Nobody wants Kent.
Correct. Not consistent enough.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 4:58pm
Agree it’s unlikely, but time to be ruthless. If the price is right then worth considering.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 8:46pm
Agree it’s unlikely, but time to be ruthless. If the price is right then worth considering.
If we’re talking about Ross here...
I’m going to jump the other way. Thought he was pretty good in both finals and has been really solid since his return from injury.

If this campaign taught us anything, I think it’s the value of experience in big games and just how valuable the ability to be consistent is.

And Ross proved his value.

In addition to the Kent disaster... another delightful legacy of the Richo desperation years is the recruitment and long term contract of Hannebery.
Whilst Dan was great in the first final, he was so so last night and IMO the issue for him is that the modern game is too taxing for a man with his injury issues.
He can’t back up... fatigue limits his performance and increases the chance of injury.

The word was that Hannebery really benefited from the week off. Pbly needs to be a permanent feature of his game from now on.
IMO we really need to find a way to offload him

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I’m still bullish on Hanners getting a better run at it next year

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 8:57pm
st.byron wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 8:46pm
If we’re talking about Ross here...
I’m going to jump the other way. Thought he was pretty good in both finals and has been really solid since his return from injury.

If this campaign taught us anything, I think it’s the value of experience in big games and just how valuable the ability to be consistent is.

And Ross proved his value.

In addition to the Kent disaster... another delightful legacy of the Richo desperation years is the recruitment and long term contract of Hannebery.
Whilst Dan was great in the first final, he was so so last night and IMO the issue for him is that the modern game is too taxing for a man with his injury issues.
He can’t back up... fatigue limits his performance and increases the chance of injury.

The word was that Hannebery really benefited from the week off. Pbly needs to be a permanent feature of his game from now on.
IMO we really need to find a way to offload him
Not saying Ross isn’t a decent player. That’s why he has trade value. If we could leverage that value to get an upgrade it would be worth considering.

Agree re Hannebery. He’s just a bit too cooked to be a midfield lynchpin any more.