Roughy backs King and Saints forward line

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Roughy backs King and Saints forward line

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 12:53pm
Saintmatt wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 12:20pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 9:25am
spert wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 7:51am
Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 6:57am
Harves Man wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 5:26am We should put him on the market now, whilst he still has currency. We may be able to get a couple of good draft picks out of the deal. We can't afford to play young Key Position players that can't kick 6-7 goals in a game, right from the start - I mean Lockett did it!
Spot on Harves, I remember when they frustratingly persevered with a young struggling key forward who was a terrible kick for goal but had a huge pair of mits on him.

I think King has been fantastic to date, he got smashed by the leagues in form defender last week and that will do him a lot of good in the ling run.
He has been easily beaten the last two weeks, and it's just a matter of a young first-year player who has a way to go yet, but will get there. The focus should always be to win games, and really if we had the VFL, then I think Max would be going back there to work on some aspects of his game. We need to get that forward line working, as to a man they are off the boil.
Ryder offers little up forward and is almost better on the bench when not rucking.
Really? I think your eyes might be painted on. You must've missed him against Port Adelaide in particular.

5 goals this season from 10 games. That's that same number of goals as Goldstein (4 more games); 4 more goals than Gawn (10 games); and 3 more than Grundy (14 games)
Like the team, that game was his peak , was that his milestone game, hopefully our leadership has improved enough that the players realise they have to play to that standard every week as we've been on a downward trajectory since.

A crunch game against the Hawks. We have to fill our boots as a close win will drag us down to 12th to 8th best, a loss could take us back to 2014.
That game wasn't Paddy's peak at all. Do you just make stuff up hoping that the gullible will swallow it? Seriously? Statistically the North game was his high point - the next best being Port and Essendon games.

As for leadership - if that is supposed to come from our Captain then you're fresh out of luck there too. Gears has been passable ... at best. Ross has played well in the last two but, who knows whether that incorporated any overt leadership.

.... "as we've been on a downward trajectory since". Again - stop making things up. Since the Port game we've won three and lost two. Hardly a downward trajectory.

:roll:

Go you red, black & white warriors
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 11:30am Our key forward match-ups were wrong vs Melbourne.
Leaving King on May allowed May to get midfield numbers.

It was poor coaching.

Marshall late in the game (when he out-bodied May and took that strong mark) showed that a stronger body was needed (vs May) - but the move came too late.
Agree. There is no rule that says King has to be the main forward line target.

To persist with kicking it to him when he’s so obviously beaten shows inflexibility and lack of imagination.

Sometimes you have to think on your feet and this was one of those times.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 1:32pm
That game wasn't Paddy's peak at all. Do you just make stuff up hoping that the gullible will swallow it? Seriously? Statistically the North game was his high point - the next best being Port and Essendon games.

As for leadership - if that is supposed to come from our Captain then you're fresh out of luck there too. Gears has been passable ... at best. Ross has played well in the last two but, who knows whether that incorporated any overt leadership.

.... "as we've been on a downward trajectory since". Again - stop making things up. Since the Port game we've won three and lost two. Hardly a downward trajectory.

:roll:

The Port game was Paddy's and the teams peak for the season.

"Statistically" I think most people would agree the North game should never get mentioned again.

And not sure what that garble about Gears even had to do with the point I made about Leadership. It was a reference to the the well known issue of onfield leadership dating back to when it was first identified by Lethers.

COVID is really stifling your ability to get down to training and suck up butts for credible knowledge.

Sanctorum
Club Player

With a full 7 days break I would imagine everyone that played in Alice Springs last Saturday night will be fully recovered and ready to line up against Hawthorn on Sunday, including and especially Max King - it is really important to get more games into him to develop his confidence.

Dropping him makes no sense whatsoever, but I go along with the views of samoth and Joffa Burns that in the event that King is being blanketed by the defence they should play him elsewhere for a while to get him into the game and build his confidence.

He has on several occasions done well in the ruck when its balled up in the forward 50, giving him a run on the ball would also open up the forward line for Membrey, Marshall, Battle and Ryder to take a grab. King has already shown that he has very good disposal skills when playing up the ground.

The suggestion that Max King dropping marks has cost the team games is pathetic - Tim Membrey has also had problems hanging on to marks. Often in twilight and night football the grounds are covered in dew making the conditions slippery, and if King does have a technical problem with his catching I'm sure that won't take long to be fixed.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
spert
Saintsational Legend

King has a lot of upside but it won't come though for a season or two. His last two games showed how much he has to learn about using his body- easily beaten by strength. Rather than flog him, best to rest him after two bad games so we don't totally destroy his confidence.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

how’s the slipperiness factor rating
for these games of dropped marks
under discussion
and or
where’s the mosquito on the move
picking up the unmarked pill

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saintkev
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 12:20pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 9:25am
spert wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 7:51am
Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 6:57am
Harves Man wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 5:26am We should put him on the market now, whilst he still has currency. We may be able to get a couple of good draft picks out of the deal. We can't afford to play young Key Position players that can't kick 6-7 goals in a game, right from the start - I mean Lockett did it!
Spot on Harves, I remember when they frustratingly persevered with a young struggling key forward who was a terrible kick for goal but had a huge pair of mits on him.

I think King has been fantastic to date, he got smashed by the leagues in form defender last week and that will do him a lot of good in the ling run.
He has been easily beaten the last two weeks, and it's just a matter of a young first-year player who has a way to go yet, but will get there. The focus should always be to win games, and really if we had the VFL, then I think Max would be going back there to work on some aspects of his game. We need to get that forward line working, as to a man they are off the boil.
Ryder offers little up forward and is almost better on the bench when not rucking.
Really? I think your eyes might be painted on. You must've missed him against Port Adelaide in particular.

5 goals this season from 10 games. That's that same number of goals as Goldstein (4 more games); 4 more goals than Gawn (10 games); and 3 more than Grundy (14 games)
I don’t get the comparison to the 3 Gs?🤔 They’re ruckman who drift down forward to take the odd grab. King is a key position forward who spends most of his time...in the forward line.