Team v Tigers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v Tigers

I don't think we needed to make too many changes, but I sure didn't think we'd be dropping one of our quickest smalls for another tall. I'm glad that Battle is in the side but he should have been included for Ryder or Marsh. I'm guessing we're going to see some whacky stuff like having Marsh/Battle attending quite a few centre bounces. Here's hoping Marshall can get into a rhythm as a forward and kick a few because right now his influence is way down. Ryder will want to absolutely dominate every ruck contest he's involved in to justify selection.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Marsh was out of form and dropping off last year, no?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
BarryGrogan
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Thu 25 Jun 2020 11:14pm Tigers and Skunks drew a game..so on that alone we are in trouble... Ratten needs to show how he can adapt .

He was outcoached last week
Disagree.

He needs to continue to teach the players the way he wants them to play.

It'll mean short term pain, but it's the only way they're going to gel s. Team.

A Coach that reacts to win/loss after 3 games, when you have 6 new players in the team, a new coach, new assistant coaches and a new game plan - is a complete fool.
Repetition is what is required.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Re the height, we're not going to beat Richmond with like for like matchups across the ground playing their style.

The extra ruck and some height around the ground gives us a point of difference which hopefully can catch them out.

Collingwood killed us with their elite ball use, something Richmond aren't know for across the board.

I expect us to bounce back in this game as long as the young players like Coffield handle the intensity. Being backed in by the coach will help them handle it rather than fearing the axe.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Last week was a bad team effort rather than few to blame. The pressure is on Ratts to get the team up and firing as a unit this week, and the more experienced players need to lead the way. If we have another bad loss then expect heads to roll on the selection table.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Agreed. Height is a point of difference instead of trying to play the same game.

Experienced players need to lift. They have a job to do.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
BarryGrogan
Club Player

spert wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 8:15am Last week was a bad team effort rather than few to blame. The pressure is on Ratts to get the team up and firing as a unit this week, and the more experienced players need to lead the way. If we have another bad loss then expect heads to roll on the selection table.
The only expectation I personally have of Ratten, is that the team has a crack.

In terms of them being a 'unit', that won't happen until they train and play together for 6 months.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 7:13am
The Fireman wrote: Thu 25 Jun 2020 11:14pm Tigers and Skunks drew a game..so on that alone we are in trouble... Ratten needs to show how he can adapt .

Disagree.

A Coach that reacts to win/loss after 3 games, when you have 6 new players in the team, a new coach, new assistant coaches and a new game plan - is a complete fool.
of course you disagree..it's a trend.
I reckon he was outcoached plain and simple. and a repetition of such a poor performance we don't.
He has some talent there, he needs to know how to utulise it.
Let's see how his game plan works against the Tigers.
...PS I'm not going to get sucked into one of your massive quotation sagas..so I'll leave it at that.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Not sure Ratten was outcoached last week Fireman, after half time they contained the damage to just -6 points for the half when it looked likely to have become a bloodbath.

With all the new personnel I expect it will be a while before they get all the structures and set plays right for 4 consistent quarters.

If as has been suggested by people on this forum who know these things that Marsh and Battle have pace and the mobility to play tall or small then this side should do alright against Richmond.

Win or lose, the selectors will be focusing on trying different players, as they must, to determine who makes up the best 22 - we have yet to see Jack Bytel debut and I'm glad they are sticking with Coffield as he needs to play at senior level to develop his potential.

With 14 rounds to go my greatest wish is for the team to play the sort of pressure football they displayed in the 1st half against North as well as the 4 quarters in the win over the Dogs.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
BarryGrogan
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 11:41am
BarryGrogan wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 7:13am

Disagree.

of course you disagree..it's a trend.
I reckon he was outcoached plain and simple. and a repetition of such a poor performance we don't.
He has some talent there, he needs to know how to utulise it.
Let's see how his game plan works against the Tigers.
...PS I'm not going to get sucked into one of your massive quotation sagas..so I'll leave it at that.
My point is that his game plan won't work against the Tigers.

They would barely know his game plan let alone be capable of executing it under pressure. It usually takes 2 pre-seasons at least to get it right - and we haven't even had one.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 11:43am

Not sure Ratten was outcoached last week Fireman, after half time they contained the damage to just -6 points for the half when it looked likely to have become a bloodbath.

With all the new personnel I expect it will be a while before they get all the structures and set plays right for 4 consistent quarters.

If as has been suggested by people on this forum who know these things that Marsh and Battle have pace and the mobility to play tall or small then this side should do alright against Richmond.

Win or lose, the selectors will be focusing on trying different players, as they must, to determine who makes up the best 22 - we have yet to see Jack Bytel debut and I'm glad they are sticking with Coffield as he needs to play at senior level to develop his potential.

With 14 rounds to go my greatest wish is for the team to play the sort of pressure football they displayed in the 1st half against North as well as the 4 quarters in the win over the Dogs.
We never looked like winning last week after the first quarter. I think Ratts went too offensive and should have got the defensive hat on in the second quarter but left it too late against a team who were running hard. He will learn as a new coach

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Fair comment. as you said he started to shut the skunks down after half time...should have done that much sooner..outcoached in my opinion.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 12:11pm

We never looked like winning last week after the first quarter. I think Ratts went too offensive and should have got the defensive hat on in the second quarter but left it too late against a team who were running hard. He will learn as a new coach
Er - he's not a new coach. He's an old recycled coach.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Late change. Kent for Ryder.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
shrodes
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 4:52pm Late change. Kent for Ryder.
A real like for like :D

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It’s a better balance but Kent... he’s just too erratic and prone to go missing as sole forward pocket types do. And another player whose shooting for goal is way too inconsistent at this level.

Also Butler, Lonie, and Kent doesn’t work in the same team IMO. Too much of the same type of player and this position IMO generally provides the least bang for buck overall unless you can consistently contribute more than just making the most of limited opportunities to hit the scoreboard.
Of the 3, Butler looks like the only one so far that may have established that aspect of his game.

Would rather they’d gone with with any of SInclair, Phillips, Parker, Bytel or Langlands

Oh well... prove me wrong Kent

George27
Club Player

shrodes wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 4:53pm
A real like for like :D
In effect it is Battle for Ryder; Kent for Hind.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Would rather Hind than Kent 10/10 times

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
StPeter
Club Player

I would also much prefer Hind but let's see how he goes.

I hope I can eat my words.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Kent must train well.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Great coaching effort and a fantastic response from the team. Ratts has a handy assistant in Jarryd Roughead 8-) :wink:

The inclusion of Battle was a signal to the boys that we needed more hardness and Josh didn’t let his coach or his mates down

Give Ratts a year and a half and I reckon we will start getting a little more of a consistent effort. We will improve as the youngees get more experience and I’m confident we’ll make finals next year or the year after... This year 2020...not sure

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 5:39pm
Kent must train well.
Kent was a nice surprise which the Tiggs may not have properly planned for

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 8:19pm
Beno88 wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 5:39pm
Kent must train well.
Kent was a nice surprise which the Tiggs may not have properly planned for
I remain concerned...
Said earlier in this thread, the concern is that he doesn’t do enough if he doesn’t hit the scoreboard.

8 kicks, 2 handballs, no tackles, 2 goals

He misses those shots and his game goes from decent to very mediocre.

Tonight he got two opportunities and nailed both. His game needs to evolve to the point that he offers something if and when he makes mistakes.

One only has to look at round one where he kicked to behinds from 8 kicks (though had some tackles in that game)to see that it can look bad.