Delusional Paddy McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Re: Delusional Paddy McCartin

There is little I have in common with Saynta but I agree his comment on this thread

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Some dudes have glass jaws. My opinion from afar is that McCartin is one of these guys.

Jack Steele was sling tackled and had his head whacked hard on the turf. Almost certainly a degree of brain trauma was involved.

But he was able to get up, take his kick and play the rest of the game.

McCartin wouldn't have.

Some MMA fighters drop when they cop one to the temple or the back of the ear - others don't.

Doesn't make them any less tough or brave - their body just reacts differently to head trauma.

The other thing is, that after a couple of knock outs, some guys that notoriously could 'take a punch' start dropping very quickly from relatively light blows.

It just happens.

McCartin also falls into this category.

It's his life. If he wants to play, good luck to him.

But, the AFL has been straight up negligent in regards to this.
UFC bans you from fighting and even sparring for 3 months if you get knocked out. Mandatory. Full stop.

Up until recently, the AFL let you back on the ground FFS!

Even now, you're allowed to play 7 days later!!

Madness.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 14 Mar 2020 7:03am Some dudes have glass jaws. My opinion from afar is that McCartin is one of these guys.

Jack Steele was sling tackled and had his head whacked hard on the turf. Almost certainly a degree of brain trauma was involved.

McCartin wouldn't have.

Some MMA fighters drop when they cop one to the temple or the back of the ear - others don't.

Doesn't make them any less tough or brave - their body just reacts differently to head trauma.

The other thing is, that after a couple of knock outs, some guys that notoriously could 'take a punch' start dropping very quickly from relatively light blows.

It just happens.

UFC bans you from fighting and even sparring for 3 months if you get knocked out. Mandatory. Full stop.

Madness.
I don't think the day is too far away when we see some major changes to the game, firstly mandatory PPE, as a minimum head protectors, secondly significant rule changes, these will be as a result of the duty of care by executive administrators and coaches being tested in law. As soon as this happens and there is a precedence in law then the dominos will fall with regards to rule changes and the way coaches teach players to engage contact with other players. The marvelling of pack marks as you know them will be consigned to watching 70s, 80s and 90s video footage.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 14 Mar 2020 7:20am
I don't think the day is too far away when we see some major changes to the game, firstly mandatory PPE, as a minimum head protectors, secondly significant rule changes, these will be as a result of the duty of care by executive administrators and coaches being tested in law. As soon as this happens and there is a precedence in law then the dominos will fall with regards to rule changes and the way coaches teach players to engage contact with other players. The marvelling of pack marks as you know them will be consigned to watching 70s, 80s and 90s video footage.
You can't stop packs, and therefore can't stop pack marks.

A pack forms at the anticipated drop of the ball - there's no way that can ever be stopped. What can be stopped, and sadly should be stopped, is how players attack a pack. Basically, knee first into a pack should be illegal.

Pack marking has become less and less prevalent over the years, due to the emphasis on crashing packs. In most cases Coaches rate a player crashing the pack and bringing the ball to the front, higher than they rate a bloke actually taking a pack mark.

The crashing of the pack will become harder to do legally, and the speccy will be dead. But in theory, a big strong dude that can get to the drop of the ball first, should really have a better chance of taking a pack mark given no one will be crashing into him with their knees from behind.

Peanut Farm
Club Player

There are some f##%wits on this forum. What if your son was in the same situation, would it still be delusional? Get a grip people.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Peanut Farm wrote: Sat 14 Mar 2020 1:21pm There are some f##%wits on this forum. What if your son was in the same situation, would it still be delusional? Get a grip people.
Evidence based research proves f##%wits have f##%wit sons so your hypothetical doesn't efect f##%wit families.

minneapolis
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 14 Mar 2020 7:03am Some dudes have glass jaws. My opinion from afar is that McCartin is one of these guys.

McCartin wouldn't have.

It just happens.

Madness.
Back in the 80s head protection was optional in the NHL. I was living in Toronto when the mandatory head gear rule was implemented. Such a howl. Now no-one evens thinks about playing without a helmet.

How long before the AFL introduce this rule? I can see it coming.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

minneapolis wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 6:15am

McCartin wouldn't have.

It just happens.

Madness.
Back in the 80s head protection was optional in the NHL. I was living in Toronto when the mandatory head gear rule was implemented. Such a howl. Now no-one evens thinks about playing without a helmet.

How long before the AFL introduce this rule? I can see it coming.
It has to be real soon one would think, and as I say, I think administrators of clubs such as presidents and CEOs will be legally required to instruct coaches to coach in a way that mitigates injury, to a certain degree that has already been happening.

It certainly has been happening at junior grade for a while.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Helmets do not offer protection against concussion. In fact as shown in the NFL when the solid helmets were introduced there was a marked increase in the number of serious head injuries as the "supposed "added protection lead to a more ferocious attack on the player.

As to Paddy, I fully understand his need to keep trying to pursue his dream. Unfortunately, I don't think he will be successful in this last roll of the dice as the risk is too high for the AFL to accept.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yep exactly, head gear doesn’t help with concussions. Boxing is also beginning to catch on to this 👍

And it’s not offensive to say Paddy is delusional to think he’s going to make a comeback at the highest level. Anybody who’s even loosely followed his career can see his body is just not up to it.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

SinCitySainter wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 8:03am Helmets do not offer protection against concussion. In fact as shown in the NFL when the solid helmets were introduced there was a marked increase in the number of serious head injuries as the "supposed "added protection lead to a more ferocious attack on the player.

As to Paddy, I fully understand his need to keep trying to pursue his dream. Unfortunately, I don't think he will be successful in this last roll of the dice as the risk is too high for the AFL to accept.
I'm guessing the changes to the game could go a similar way to how risk is managed in the work place whereby PPE is the last line in the hierarchy of risk controls. Of the the 5 steps, 'elimination' is the first and it is why I can see coaches being legally required to coach against deliberate attacks, especially the "ferocious" type. Coaching to deliberately hurt would be 'eliminated' from the game and head protection will be mandatory to protect against accidental contact. It's already happening as is evident in the continually changing laws of the game and umpiring around deliberate actions and decisions made on the field.

It's only a matter of time before a coach from the past or present is sued for instructing thier players to "take thier turn" or to deliberately hurt an opposition player. That will be the game changer.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 9:13am Yep exactly, head gear doesn’t help with concussions. Boxing is also beginning to catch on to this 👍

And it’s not offensive to say Paddy is delusional to think he’s going to make a comeback at the highest level. Anybody who’s even loosely followed his career can see his body is just not up to it.
Sez you. Of course it is f****** offensive. :roll: :roll: :roll:

asiu
Saintsational Legend

the games about ‘hurting them legally’
... bit like cricket
why not teach how to tackle well
... smashed ribs slow you down

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 10:54am
The_Dud wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 9:13am Yep exactly, head gear doesn’t help with concussions. Boxing is also beginning to catch on to this 👍

Well that’s not saying much coming from someone who’s offended by everything! :)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 1:17pm
saynta wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 10:54am

Well that’s not saying much coming from someone who’s offended by everything! :)
OK Chuck. :roll: :roll:

damienc
Club Player

Re: Delusional Paddy

saynta wrote: Thu 12 Mar 2020 9:48am Delusional? What f****** rubbish.

I posted that he would be back on a list somewhere next year and was roundly abused.
He won't.

damienc
Club Player

asiu wrote: Thu 12 Mar 2020 8:20am can i write

a ‘i told you so’ post :P

good on him (imo)
no good wondering for the rest of your days

if thats your bliss ... follow it
Won't happen. I'm telling you.

damienc
Club Player

To the top wrote: Thu 12 Mar 2020 8:44am This is a decision for McCartin - supported by the best of advice including at Club level

Simply, he will be an asset representing St Kilda because of his commitment and his skill set and I for one wish him every success

The heading to this thread is insulting in that it presumes to be all knowing in regard the circumstances of others - but that is the unfortunate trait of the name calling neo Conservative element among us

The response in my view should be to wish Mc Cartin every success in his ambition and endeavours

Full stop

Meanwhile the Markets and now the WHO are passing comment on the lack of fiscal response by government in the face of a health crisis, the commentary of the Australian Market in evidence by it leading the declines and very easily so
Sorry. Not happening. The guy's had 8 concussions. No club including ours will touch him with a barge pole.

damienc
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 12 Mar 2020 1:32pm
The_Dud wrote: Thu 12 Mar 2020 1:15pm

I posted that he would be back on a list somewhere next year and was roundly abused.
Whose list is he on?
Are you for real Chuck? I don't have a f****** cristal ball.
He won't be on any club's list. Take it to the bank.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 7:55pm

He won't.
You sure about that?
I said somewhere. It might be AFL,,VFL, Amos, or even suburban.,Somewhere.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 9:02pm
damienc wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 7:55pm

He won't.
You sure about that?
I said somewhere. It might be AFL,,VFL, Amos, or even suburban.,Somewhere.
I believe the question and Paddys hopes are clearly a return to AFL football, and while the OP is somewhat inflammatory and degrading I do agree that Paddy is fantasizing if he thinks an AFL club will recruit him in 2021.

Not sure if the CTE studies being relatively still in their infancy stages assists or diminishes Paddy’s chances through unknown potential outcomes but I’m sure the risk factor on Paddy would be too great.

The biggest concern for me was the appearance of the hit that caused his last concussion that appeared to be quite minor in the scheme of a high contact sport yet the prolonged damage was very debilitating.

Based upon this my opinion (not knowledge) is he is unlikely to play AFL again.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 14 Mar 2020 5:06pm
Peanut Farm wrote: Sat 14 Mar 2020 1:21pm There are some f##%wits on this forum. What if your son was in the same situation, would it still be delusional? Get a grip people.
Evidence based research proves f##%wits have f##%wit sons so your hypothetical doesn't efect f##%wit families.
Just have a look at all the f##%wits stocking up on toilet paper!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Mon 16 Mar 2020 1:02pm
Just have a look at all the f##%wits stocking up on toilet paper!
Yeah well, we are down to two rolls and can't buy anymore, so I don't know who the real f*** wits are

silverhalo
Club Player

McCartin wouldn't have.

It just happens.

Madness.
On the subject of MMA fighters, Australian company Impression Healthcare (ASX:IHL) is running trials in the next quarter with MMA fighters to assess how their drug protects the brain after a concussion minimising the effects of TBI and leading to CTE prevention; there is currently NO treatment for this. Liam Picken is on their advisory board, and if this is successful, it'll be huge for the AFL, NRL and other high contact sports. This will effectively mean that Paddy could more than likely take the field again if it does what it's supposed to....

https://news.61financial.com.au/zh-hant/articles/2695

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

True but those feg wits with feg wit sobs often are the best mongrel players on the field....Just saying for a friend