Everybody loves Rita? Not me, not anymore.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Everybody loves Rita? Not me, not anymore.

BarryGrogan wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 8:39pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 8:18pm
Do you really believe that 5,000 Port fans are going to come to Melbourne for the game? Maybe 500 if they're going well.
Yes. It's a long weekend. It's not out the question that 5000 South Australians will come here instead of Queensland (if it was was played there).
Agree 100%

The timing of the match is perfect for both those flying here and also driving over.

The economic benefit (COVID-19 permitting) makes the $300,000 investment great value

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BarryGrogan
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 10:42pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 4:54pm
outside66 wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 4:34pm
To be fair, you can't disagree with alot here (I'm not a fan of hers one way or the other btw). I'm surprised that the Vic govt paid for the game rights. The only thing that would be up for contention is if both teams are doing well in the lead-up to the fixture as it would then make it a "first-rate" game. At the time of writing though, it is a second-rate game to those outside the Saints/Port walls. That said, both clubs have advised that they will be making a concerted effort to showcase and support the Chinese community, so if they come good on that then perhaps Rita is wrong in saying that this game will not have much of an impact.
I can't disagree more.

What on earth is wrong with Victorian wanting to host a Victorian team's home game on the Eve of a public holiday??

She is a very, very short sighted person. Most stubboen and ignorant people are. Especially when they're blinded by their agenda.

There's a large Chinese population in Melbourne who have been hit hard by the corona virus. They'd be feeling s*** and largely isolated I would suggest

To pay a measly $400k to not only facilitate a 120yo Victorian club with 250000 supporters getting to play a home game in Victoria on the Eve of a public holiday, but also acknowledge our Chinese Melburnians in the process - is just simply good leadership and quality longer term thinking.

Even if it means 5000 Saints fans don't leave the state to go and watch the game for 3 days, and 5000 South Australians stay here for 3 days instead of flying to Queensland - your going to close to being square.

And that's without eveything else that comes have 20000+ people in the CBD on the Eve of a public holiday.

It's actually an incredibly stupid opinion piece. Just cause she says things with such arrogance amd conviction - doesn't make them true.
Where are these 250,000 supporters you speak of? That’s irrelevant. We averaged just over 25,000 for a home game last year so who cares about non-financial “supporters”. They aren’t rocking up to games let alone heading out for a succulent meal... Anyways, I’m quite glad that it is in Victoria and I will be going to the game :)
The thing is, we live in a society. Not an economy.

A lot of people forget that.

Not every government decision has to, or should be abkut making a profit. Primarily it should be about benefiting society.

Playing a Victorian club's home game in Melbourne, with an inclusive vibe to it on the Eve of a public holiday is a very good call from a societal perspective.

I don't even think it's bad from an economic perspective either.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 07 Mar 2020 9:33am
outside66 wrote: Fri 06 Mar 2020 10:42pm
To be fair, you can't disagree with alot here (I'm not a fan of hers one way or the other btw). I'm surprised that the Vic govt paid for the game rights. The only thing that would be up for contention is if both teams are doing well in the lead-up to the fixture as it would then make it a "first-rate" game. At the time of writing though, it is a second-rate game to those outside the Saints/Port walls. That said, both clubs have advised that they will be making a concerted effort to showcase and support the Chinese community, so if they come good on that then perhaps Rita is wrong in saying that this game will not have much of an impact.
I can't disagree more.

What on earth is wrong with Victorian wanting to host a Victorian team's home game on the Eve of a public holiday??

She is a very, very short sighted person. Most stubboen and ignorant people are. Especially when they're blinded by their agenda.

There's a large Chinese population in Melbourne who have been hit hard by the corona virus. They'd be feeling s*** and largely isolated I would suggest

To pay a measly $400k to not only facilitate a 120yo Victorian club with 250000 supporters getting to play a home game in Victoria on the Eve of a public holiday, but also acknowledge our Chinese Melburnians in the process - is just simply good leadership and quality longer term thinking.

Even if it means 5000 Saints fans don't leave the state to go and watch the game for 3 days, and 5000 South Australians stay here for 3 days instead of flying to Queensland - your going to close to being square.

And that's without eveything else that comes have 20000+ people in the CBD on the Eve of a public holiday.

It's actually an incredibly stupid opinion piece. Just cause she says things with such arrogance amd conviction - doesn't make them true.
Where are these 250,000 supporters you speak of? That’s irrelevant. We averaged just over 25,000 for a home game last year so who cares about non-financial “supporters”. They aren’t rocking up to games let alone heading out for a succulent meal... Anyways, I’m quite glad that it is in Victoria and I will be going to the game :)
The thing is, we live in a society. Not an economy.

A lot of people forget that.

Not every government decision has to, or should be abkut making a profit. Primarily it should be about benefiting society.

Playing a Victorian club's home game in Melbourne, with an inclusive vibe to it on the Eve of a public holiday is a very good call from a societal perspective.

I don't even think it's bad from an economic perspective either.
Well said Mr Grogan Sir! Bravo. Also needs to be said that the 300,000 St Kilda supporters, most of whom live in the great states of Victoria and Tasmania are taxpayers too. As too are Port's who can get here for a fraction of the cost of a trip to Cairns or Shanghai.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

What is really unbelievable is how I heard on Cairns ABC that the QLD government and Cairns council offered 2.4 million and were immediately knocked back within 1 hour by Mr AFL. Seems he doesn't have the interests of Saints nor Port nor the AFL at heart eh?

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

I can't disagree more.

I'm not debating you just looking for clarity?
So the 100,000 Chinese living in Melbourne are hit hard by coronavirus because?
- racists treat them different blaming them for the virus by association
- these 100000 Chinese were ALL planning to travel to China or receive guests from China which was stopped by travel ban
- these 100000 Chinese all know someone or have family in Wuhan? Like how all blacks know each other or all Pakistani taxi drivers are related? It's such a small country they all would know each other.
- all Chinese own $2 shops and now can't get their goods from their brothers factory in Wuhan?
- I can see a few of them being sad their native country is suffering...But I'm guessing the tiny percentage of Chinese living in Melbourne don't give 2 f@cks if the AFL plays a token game to offer commiserations.

I'm looking for your meaning for these poor suffering Chinese....doing it hard.

Facts are somehow it benefited Mr AFL or his elite mates to have the game in Melbourne and it is there now. That's all.
It's not a bad outcome just stop bullsh!tting about why.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 07 Mar 2020 3:48pm What is really unbelievable is how I heard on Cairns ABC that the QLD government and Cairns council offered 2.4 million and were immediately knocked back within 1 hour by Mr AFL. Seems he doesn't have the interests of Saints nor Port nor the AFL at heart eh?
So which self interests stand to benefit the most from such decision making?

Was it cash or favours?

Does anyone still think OS games are about making our club a powerhouse.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 07 Mar 2020 4:01pm
- these 100000 Chinese were ALL planning to travel to China or receive guests from China which was stopped by travel ban
- these 100000 Chinese all know someone or have family in Wuhan? Like how all blacks know each other or all Pakistani taxi drivers are related? It's such a small country they all would know each other.
- all Chinese own $2 shops and now can't get their goods from their brothers factory in Wuhan?
- I can see a few of them being sad their native country is suffering...But I'm guessing the tiny percentage of Chinese living in Melbourne don't give 2 f@cks if the AFL plays a token game to offer commiserations.

Facts are somehow it benefited Mr AFL or his elite mates to have the game in Melbourne and it is there now. That's all.
To be honest, I don't understand any of that in the context of this discussion.

It reads like a '50-50' comment from the Herald-Sun.

When you started with "I'm not debating you" you were right - cause the entire post after that is completely unrelated to my post. Not sure why you even bothered.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 07 Mar 2020 4:15pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 07 Mar 2020 3:48pm What is really unbelievable is how I heard on Cairns ABC that the QLD government and Cairns council offered 2.4 million and were immediately knocked back within 1 hour by Mr AFL. Seems he doesn't have the interests of Saints nor Port nor the AFL at heart eh?

Was it cash or favours?

Does that make Rita's article even more laughably stupid though?

Queensland offered $2.4m for it - and the Vic government got it for $300k!!!??

Hahahaha. And she's somehow outraged by that? WTF?

To the top
SS Life Member

Well, the economy is citizens confident enough in their personal circumstances to go about their business including having the confidence to engage in some discretionary spending

Without cash circulating there is no economy

And without an economy government has no tax receipts (noting the tax system is compromised)

So, by extension, secure employment resulting in a fair day’s pay for a fair day’s work

Responsibility is upon both Capital and labour to work to achieve that goal - because all benefit

The disruption from this virus is that the only known course to arrest it currently isolation

Impacting on the economy because people are isolated and unable to contribute to the cash to cash cycle (including by not producing goods and services for consumption)

Hence the impact on Equity Markets

To the top
SS Life Member

And just to add the pressures on the economy caused by this virus impact on an economy already compromised confirmed by where the Cash Rate has been and is, the collapse of retailers, wages growth data showing continuing weak growth, unemployment and more damaging under employment and the performance of the ASX post the pre GFC highs among a raft of other data

The impact of Bush Fires and this virus has only added further pressure

Then we have private debt and its trend line post 2000 (from RBA 10 Year data)

From here we focus on the physical health and well being of citizens - and then look at the security of citizens and their confidence in going about their daily lives delivering the economy we aspire to live in including to the benefit of future generations

Secret Kiel
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 07 Mar 2020 10:29pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 07 Mar 2020 4:15pm

Was it cash or favours?

Does that make Rita's article even more laughably stupid though?

Queensland offered $2.4m for it - and the Vic government got it for $300k!!!??

Hahahaha. And she's somehow outraged by that? WTF?
How can you be certain the Vic government didn't pay more or have or will pay more or what favours are being called in. How do we know what game is in play and which self interests are playing the game.

People and their social needs are arbitrary matters.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 07 Mar 2020 10:20pm

When you started with "I'm not debating you" you were right - cause the entire post after that is completely unrelated to my post. Not sure why you even bothered.

I mentioned it because you were like the 3rd person in 1 day to use the "poor Chinese doing tough" comment in relation to the Saints game. I'm just lost to understand why people think a game few Melbourne based Chinese follow would somehow eleviate some mythical burden they carry for the Corona virus?

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 07 Mar 2020 10:20pm

I mentioned it because you were like the 3rd person in 1 day to use the "poor Chinese doing tough" comment in relation to the Saints game. I'm just lost to understand why people think a game few Melbourne based Chinese follow would somehow eleviate some mythical burden they carry for the Corona virus? I am being serious, am I oblivious to something happening with the Chinese community? Have people ostracized them and their businesses etc? I really don't know.