training report 19/12

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Barometer
Club Player

Re: training report 19/12

skeptic wrote: Mon 23 Dec 2019 2:01pm
B.M wrote: Mon 23 Dec 2019 11:32am Agree it’s one of the easier positions to play, but because you get so much drive from HB it’s important quality decision makers and ball users are across HB.
HBF who run and carry and generate i50s on the turnover generate scores.
They also need to be able to read the play and drop off when required and have the balance of attacking and defending spot on.

It is most important you have quality across HB
Shannon Hurn and Leroy Jetta combo is the best in the AFL imo, Houli and Vlaustin are good too.
And that’s why personally, I’ve always felt that Savage and to a lesser degree Webster are two of the more overrated players on our list.
For a player that is ok at best in defending he’s not nearly damaging as you’d want and Webster, whether it be injury, poor coaching whatever, has simply never played a sustained patch of really good football. His disposal is very inconsistent.

I have no argument against Clarke being suited to that role... my sense however is that he could transition to the midfield and be good enough to continue developing there whilst a guy like Coffield isn’t ready for that transition but could do well enough on a flank. He can run, has decent disposal and awareness, and looks to me like he’s alright defensively.
I would rather play him there with the view of trying to progress his development
Add Geary into the mix with Webster/Savage, really uninspiring ball users coming out of our backline aside from Savages occasional bombs and Websters occasional bullets. Shows we need Coffield to come on and improve our ball use out of the backline.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: training report 19/12

The Barometer wrote: Tue 24 Dec 2019 11:14am
skeptic wrote: Mon 23 Dec 2019 2:01pm
B.M wrote: Mon 23 Dec 2019 11:32am Agree it’s one of the easier positions to play, but because you get so much drive from HB it’s important quality decision makers and ball users are across HB.
HBF who run and carry and generate i50s on the turnover generate scores.
They also need to be able to read the play and drop off when required and have the balance of attacking and defending spot on.

It is most important you have quality across HB
Shannon Hurn and Leroy Jetta combo is the best in the AFL imo, Houli and Vlaustin are good too.
And that’s why personally, I’ve always felt that Savage and to a lesser degree Webster are two of the more overrated players on our list.
For a player that is ok at best in defending he’s not nearly damaging as you’d want and Webster, whether it be injury, poor coaching whatever, has simply never played a sustained patch of really good football. His disposal is very inconsistent.

I have no argument against Clarke being suited to that role... my sense however is that he could transition to the midfield and be good enough to continue developing there whilst a guy like Coffield isn’t ready for that transition but could do well enough on a flank. He can run, has decent disposal and awareness, and looks to me like he’s alright defensively.
I would rather play him there with the view of trying to progress his development
Add Geary into the mix with Webster/Savage, really uninspiring ball users coming out of our backline aside from Savages occasional bombs and Websters occasional bullets. Shows we need Coffield to come on and improve our ball use out of the backline.
At least Geary can do the job that he’s there for though