Paddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

portosaint
Club Player

Re: Paddy

dragit wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Are you really comparing Boyd and Patton against McCartin?

Are you taking the piss?
I think you should probably go and check the stats.

Paddy is in a very similar position for his age compared to those two.

None of them are setting the world on fire to be honest.
Thank you.

Its seems OK on here to compare apples with apples when it proves your point, but gets shut down the other way. Cake and eat it too.

I don't know if he'll be better, worse, or the same as the above mentioned. But I'm prepared to reserve judgment until he has had a decent run

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Every time Paddy goes for a chest mark and the ball bounces off his fat gut all I can here is the cartoon equivalent of something hitting a trampoline or something - BOIIIINNNGGGG!!! Every time.

Learn to friggin mark the ball and also kick the ball straight through the goals if you are going to play as a forward, Paddy!!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Are you really comparing Boyd and Patton against McCartin?

Are you taking the piss?
I think you should probably go and check the stats.

Paddy is in a very similar position for his age compared to those two.

None of them are setting the world on fire to be honest.
It’s not about setting the world on fire dragit.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
portosaint
Club Player

So we would be happy with our 7 year investment returning an average of 10.96 disp, 5.6 marks, and 1.5 goals over 75 odd games? GWS are. Let's just see where the bloke is at after 50 or so games and hope he makes it. Thats all I'm doing

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

[quote="portosaint"]So we would be happy with our 7 year investment returning an average of 10.96 disp, 5.6 marks, and 1.5 goals over 75 odd games? GWS are. Let's just see where the bloke is at after 50 or so games and hope he makes it. Thats all I'm doing.

Look who likes his false analogies. Forget stats. Patton showed a lot more than Paddy in his first 30 games. Patton got the basics right like kicking, marking, chasing, second efforts etc for staters.

The way Paddy is tracking, I don’t think we can afford to have him playing the next 50 games.

On his current form he doesn’t deserve his spot in the team, period. Let him develop and find form in the VFL.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
portosaint wrote:So we would be happy with our 7 year investment returning an average of 10.96 disp, 5.6 marks, and 1.5 goals over 75 odd games? GWS are. Let's just see where the bloke is at after 50 or so games and hope he makes it. Thats all I'm doing.

Look who likes his false analogies. Forget stats. Patton showed a lot more than Paddy in his first 30 games. Patton got the basics right like kicking, marking, chasing, second efforts etc for staters.

The way Paddy is tracking, I don’t think we can afford to have him playing the next 50 games.

On his current form he doesn’t deserve his spot in the team, period. Let him develop and find form in the VFL.
Yep, Patton had a massive 27 goals in his first 24 games instead of Paddy's 23 so far. Panic stations.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It’s not about goals dragit but if you think his form warrants continued selection then you either just being argumentative for the sake of it or you’re just being deluded.

Cudos that you haven’t gone the personal attack on me.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

dragit wrote:R U OK?
Con Gorozidis wrote: Bookmark this one.

McCartin can't make it.
Not tall.
Not fit.
Slow.
Not that strong.
Immobile. No agility.
No ground game.
Average kick.
No awareness.
Con Gorozidis wrote:Anyway back to Paddy.
I think he can make it …
which one dude?
Obviously the second option. Paddy can make it. As a cigar store Indian or as a monument outside RSEA park. His second efforts and chasing, if you could call it that were pathetic. I don't blame him after four preseasons, those two things should be non negotiable. Anyone can exert themselves. The skipper is a player with very little natural ability but has made himself, through sheer hard work and determination, an AFL player..

I won't believe that Paddy lacks the motivation. Maybe, the ugly reality is that he's just not physically capable of coming up to AFL standard fitness. He dropped two chest marks and missed two straightforward set shots as well. Not what you expect from any forward, let alone a number one pick. These bloopers have become the norm, not the exception. I hope he does make it, but he won't from what he's shown.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:What’s game plan got to do with holding marks and chasing.

Trout f***ed us and the club bought it.

I’m still hopeful that the club can off load him for a late round first draft pick at the end of the year but I am not holding my breath.
Honestly, if he continues to prove a failed experiment by years end, I'm hoping that sucker could be Collingwood. But, willing to see how he goes.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:
Obviously the second option. Paddy can make it. As a cigar store Indian or as a monument outside RSEA park. His second efforts and chasing, if you could call it that were pathetic. I don't blame him after four preseasons, those two things should be non negotiable. Anyone can exert themselves. The skipper is a player with very little natural ability but has made himself, through sheer hard work and determination, an AFL player..

I won't believe that Paddy lacks the motivation. Maybe, the ugly reality is that he's just not physically capable of coming up to AFL standard fitness. He dropped two chest marks and missed two straightforward set shots as well. Not what you expect from any forward, let alone a number one pick. These bloopers have become the norm, not the exception. I hope he does make it, but he won't from what he's shown.
+1

Folks are in denial. It’s the classic defence mechanism; can’t blame them but they are deluding themselves.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:It’s not about goals dragit but if you think his form warrants continued selection then you either just being argumentative for the sake of it or you’re just being deluded.

Cudos that you haven’t gone the personal attack on me.
I think the point is that niether Patton or Boyd warranted selection early on based on form.

If we're expecting Lockett then get ready to be sad... if paddy gets up in the Hawkins region of consistently kicking 2-3 goals and taking 5-6 marks then I will be pretty happy.

The constant drilling of a young bloke clearly struggling with confidence is a bit much, he's taken 9 & 10 marks a few times already so is not a complete spud IMO.

Most of us thought petracca was the right rein, doesn't mean we have to trash Paddy's name at every opportunity.

We have nothing to lose right by seeing if paddy can become a player with some confidence... Bruce is offering up not much better after 90 games right now.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
portosaint wrote:So we would be happy with our 7 year investment returning an average of 10.96 disp, 5.6 marks, and 1.5 goals over 75 odd games? GWS are. Let's just see where the bloke is at after 50 or so games and hope he makes it. Thats all I'm doing.

Yep, Patton had a massive 27 goals in his first 24 games instead of Paddy's 23 so far. Panic stations.
Keep in mind that was playing forward in a team that won 9 games in 3 years.

portosaint
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:

+1

Folks are in denial. It’s the classic defence mechanism; can’t blame them but they are deluding themselves.
I have still never once claimed he will or will not make it. So, if by "deluded" you mean "patient", then yes I am. Because my constant opinion has been that I am willing to see 20 or 30 relatively continuous games before I pass judgment.

What's deluded is the fact that quite a few people on here still somehow think they can change the past with their constant keyboard vitriol. What's done is done. No amount of "fat diabetic" comments will give us Petracca now. We are dreaming this year. Let's just see what happens

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Nice rant but all your points are strawman arguments.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
dragit wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Keep in mind that was playing forward in a team that won 9 games in 3 years.
Goals scored are only one measure.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I hold the coaches responsible.
Instead of getting him fit and easing him in to AFL footy on a fwd flank the coaches and staff started wanking on about 'crashing packs' which is not only ridiculous for a 19 year old kid against hardened AFL defenders it is also an obsolete part of the modern game.
What we now have is a bloke who still isn't fit and has suffered multiple concussions.
Very poorly managed by the whole club.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Paddy didn't ask to be recruited, and after a series of concussions and injury, he is not really the kid who walked in the door originally. Get off his back and direct the criticism to the football dept...their decisions and lack of direction have stalled the club's onfield progress.

portosaint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I hold the coaches responsible.
Instead of getting him fit and easing him in to AFL footy on a fwd flank the coaches and staff started wanking on about 'crashing packs' which is not only ridiculous for a 19 year old kid against hardened AFL defenders it is also an obsolete part of the modern game.
What we now have is a bloke who still isn't fit and has suffered multiple concussions.
I agree. We are exceptionally poor development wise. Have been for some time.

My frustrations lie with the club/coaching staff more than Paddy for now.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Goals scored are only one measure.
Kicks, Handballs, marks, tackles, i50's, - also similar for all tree players after 20-odd games.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:Every time Paddy goes for a chest mark and the ball bounces off his fat gut all I can here is the cartoon equivalent of something hitting a trampoline or something - BOIIIINNNGGGG!!! Every time.

Learn to friggin mark the ball and also kick the ball straight through the goals if you are going to play as a forward, Paddy!!
This is an especially pathetic post.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

There’s criticism. There’s frustration and then there being a absolute #$&*. Guess which category this post fits into.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

You want paddy to play on a half flank in this day and age? Get a grip.. he’s far too slow to be playing that position.. if he plays he has to play as the power forward

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Kicks, Handballs, marks, tackles, i50's, - also similar for all tree players after 20-odd games.
Tracking along nicely then and nothing to be worried about.

He’ll make it.

:roll:

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Drake Huggins wrote:
dragit wrote:R U OK?
Con Gorozidis wrote: Bookmark this one.

McCartin can't make it.
Not tall.
Not fit.
Slow.
Not that strong.
Immobile. No agility.
No ground game.
Average kick.
No awareness.
Con Gorozidis wrote:Anyway back to Paddy.
I think he can make it …
which one dude?

Yep, I agree with this, really does not look like he's physically fit enough for this level and his follow up efforts back this up. Confidence wouldn't be too high, understandably, but to not chase and harass your opponent shows a lack of fitness or care factor, and I'd guess it's aerobic fitness he's lacking.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
That’s only six measures.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
congorozides
Club Player

mightysainters wrote:
You want paddy to play on a half flank in this day and age? Get a grip.. he’s far too slow to be playing that position.. if he plays he has to play as the power forward
Not in his current shape. He is too unfit.

I am saying I would have got him lean and fit and let him learn in that position. Putting a 19 year old in the AFL as a 'power fwd' is a complete an utter disaster and the results speak for themselves.

Seriously you expect a 19 year old to walk out of school footy and in to the AFL and suddenly start 'crashing packs' against AFL defenders? Get a grip. The results are we now have an unfit bloke with multiple concussions.

In any case the 'power fwd' role is almost obsolete in footy today and if it does exist Paddy isnt big enough anyway.

So if there was a genuine believe he couldnt play any other position - then recruiting him was a huge mistake in the first place.

He has actually looked decent on the fwd flank in small bursts. He just isnt fit enough to sustain it and cant cover enough territory.

Awful coaching. Just awful.