Match Thread Saints v Pies Round 5 2023

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread Saints v Pies Round 5 2023

Daicos kicked in - and played on for every point?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 16 Apr 2023 9:11pm
terry smith rules wrote: Sun 16 Apr 2023 8:06pm
CURLY wrote: Sun 16 Apr 2023 7:48pm Can’t believe we cop s*** umpiring even in a close game and being the top side in a nuetral venue.
Owens gets held every contest
It’s a pisstake.

The goal Ginnivan got at the start of the last was due to umpires cheating.

Stocker cleared the ball Hill then swung and threw him to the ground leaving us a player down.

Clear free.
Definite sling tackle

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 16 Apr 2023 10:28pm Daicos kicked in - and played on for every point?
Daicos bros had 72 combined possessions for 1 score and 1 score assist. 18 % of Pies team possessions.
N Daicos had 5 contested possessions and picked up 10 from kick ins plus how many from cheap handball receives??
Is he a good player? Yes
Crouch had 32 16 contested 2 goals and most clearances and was top 3 for pumping us into 50
I know who had more impact imo
It won’t matter as RTB cheekily said in his presser
“Don’t get too cranky Saints fans….we’ll correct that next time…”
😂

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

If Daicos was playing in our back half he'd have had 60 kicks. Big deal. We kept sending them back.

Collingwood halved the ground and focussed on turnover, we won less turnover but were more effective inside 50.

Game could have gone either way. We lost.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The Filth missed several set shots that they normally get.
At one stage they were 6.10, could've been 10.6

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Mon 17 Apr 2023 1:53am The Filth missed several set shots that they normally get.
At one stage they were 6.10, could've been 10.6
They went into their 50 20% more times than we did for one more scoring shot and got run over in the last 15 minutes by a fitter and faster team.

They got 24 points ahead and tried to shut the game down.

Had we have STOLEN it, they would be lamenting those missed goals. Had we have kicked straight in the last, we'd have won by 2 goals, would have won the possessions, the clearances, scoring efficiency, contested possessions and the Intercepts.

We missed several goals we have been getting.

takeaway
Club Player

Collingwood are a 4 goal better side than Saints at the moment. Poor shooting for goal kept the Saints in it. They have a more practised system, more dangerous going forward, and smarter around the ball.

It is only 5 weeks in, Saints are still bedding down their system, so there is a fair chance we can bridge the gap.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 17 Apr 2023 8:28am Collingwood are a 4 goal better side than Saints at the moment. Poor shooting for goal kept the Saints in it. They have a more practised system, more dangerous going forward, and smarter around the ball.

It is only 5 weeks in, Saints are still bedding down their system, so there is a fair chance we can bridge the gap.
No. One goal better side at the moment.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 17 Apr 2023 8:28am Collingwood are a 4 goal better side than Saints at the moment. Poor shooting for goal kept the Saints in it. They have a more practised system, more dangerous going forward, and smarter around the ball.

Effort kept us in it. They had a wayward 6 behind quarter, so did we. Anything they did, we matched, except forward 50 entries.

Collingwood needed to kick 13 goals to be a 4 goal better side, they didn't.

They thought they had done the job but got confused, when we changed our attack in the last 5 minutes. Like Freo, Essendon and the Gold Coast, the did very little to stop us dominating the last 20 minutes of the game. We lost it through poor kicking for goal when it mattered. We had them covered everywhere else.

takeaway
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 17 Apr 2023 1:28pm

Effort kept us in it. They had a wayward 6 behind quarter, so did we. Anything they did, we matched, except forward 50 entries.

They thought they had done the job but got confused, when we changed our attack in the last 5 minutes. Like Freo, Essendon and the Gold Coast, the did very little to stop us dominating the last 20 minutes of the game. We lost it through poor kicking for goal when it mattered. We had them covered everywhere else.
True, bad kicking is part of it, but Pies could have sealed the match earlier, we kicked our points in the late run, as you say when Pies thought they had the job done.

Clear difference in class between the teams (about 4 goals imo), maybe with Steele, King back and further development of our system, we can beat them.

In my view, not there at the moment.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

They didn’t have

DeGoey
Darcy
Howe

And maybe a few others I can’t think of?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 17 Apr 2023 2:03pm

True, bad kicking is part of it, but Pies could have sealed the match earlier, we kicked our points in the late run, as you say when Pies thought they had the job done.

Clear difference in class between the teams (about 4 goals imo), maybe with Steele, King back and further development of our system, we can beat them.

While I believe you may be correct in theory, actual results don't tell us that. For now, I stick with believing what I am seeing.

We aren't the best team in the league and we have much to do to claim that but, we are fit, if you want to beat us easily, you are going to have finish us off, you can't just slow down and hope your lead will hold you.

I never stopped thinking we might win the other night. A draw would have been sweet justice.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

I never stopped thinking we might win the other night. A draw would have been sweet justice.
ha

me either
not for one second

i thought the boys on the game day thread
threw the towel in (just) a tad early

but i was stuck in very indifferent data land
and the listen feed kept dropping out

i wish elon was my mate
i'd hustle some starlink out of him

'a friend in need is a pain in the arse' not withstanding

dear elon
please be my friend
signed
necessity

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
takeaway
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 17 Apr 2023 2:16pm
takeaway wrote: Mon 17 Apr 2023 2:03pm

While I believe you may be correct in theory, actual results don't tell us that. For now, I stick with believing what I am seeing.

We aren't the best team in the league and we have much to do to claim that but, we are fit, if you want to beat us easily, you are going to have finish us off, you can't just slow down and hope your lead will hold you.

There you are, two different views. I stopped thinking we would win halfway through the last with Elliot's? goal. Yes, the result was just 6 points, but the Pies will know next time against us you can't just slow down and protect your lead. They also lost McStay, and just before the final 2 goals, Murphy.

A draw would have been a steal for us, Collingwood controlled the game for a long period, a lot more inside 50s, imo clearly the better side overall.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

A couple more minutes and the saints win.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Same in the 2010 grand final

Pity the game stops when the siren goes

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 17 Apr 2023 7:49pm Same in the 2010 grand final

Pity the game stops when the siren goes
Yep. :cry:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

They’re cleaner with the ball than us no doubt
I think a King Caminiti Membrey forward half makes that defence a whole lot more nervous
De Goey there noted out
We had no Steele
I think they’re gettable for sure

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

2023 AFL clubs average age and games experience

https://www.afl.com.au/news/873124/list ... experience

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the ... 5cke9.html

Collingwood are top 4 in average age and games experience and considered in the 'sweet spot' as far as a finals contender

St Kilda is bottom 4 ( in other words we have a young team and much less games experience)

We have a first year rookie and another draftee with less than half a dozen games under their belt.

We have 3 other blokes who are only just in the second year and with under 20 games or so

We still have Keeler, Hotton and Van Es who could all come-on in leaps and bounds over the next 2 years... plus

If we nail another draft with quality inclusions and somehow get a couple of footballers of the calibre of NWM/ Owens/ Windhager / or Phillipou...look out :twisted: 8-)