Match thread v Melbourne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match thread v Melbourne

If you can't hit targets you can win games. A lot of energy is wasted trying to scramble to fix the mistakes. Fatigue sets in and it gets too hard

ace
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 27 Mar 2021 10:52pm Let us call a spade a spade. That was the most insipid effort by the Saints in years.
You can't do that because I am told I can't.
You should do as my avatar and call a diamond a diamond.
But that was a pathetic shovelling effort.
Last edited by ace on Sat 27 Mar 2021 11:28pm, edited 2 times in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Peanut Farm
Club Player

King unsighted after we took the lead. He is too one-dimensional. Can he play in any other position other than FF?

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Peanut Farm wrote: Sat 27 Mar 2021 11:04pm King unsighted after we took the lead. He is too one-dimensional. Can he play in any other position other than FF?
Let's be fair he relies on forward entries and we were atrocious tonight entering our fwd 50.

He can't exactly be getting his own ball he needs players who can kick to his advantage and tonight when they did he looked dangerous -- that goes without saying though he's an absolute gun.

Can't blame King for what happened tonight.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
Fugazi1966
Club Player

Just got back and still can't quite fathom WTF I saw.

Both teams were abyssmal, skills were non existent, but we were truly awful...apathetic at times.

Wilkie and Howard kept us in it somehow.

Dees could've destroyed us if they weren't such pathetic rabble.

Fugazi1966
Club Player

ace wrote: Sat 27 Mar 2021 10:46pm I am disgusted.
I could not believe the refusal of St Kilda players to man up when they had the ball.
To be fair to Mick Malthouse , he tipped this in his take down of our one way running midfielders.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

King has shown he is a good/ok player but no saviour. Last shot (if you can call it that) left a lot to be desired and will not help his confidence or mine - helps explain golf injury. Back to the drawing board - we can't beat tall sides with current line up - and most sides are. Mental note, giving ball to opposition as unforced errors is not a recipe for success. Dribble ball, anything, rather than give Gawn and May marking practice; if two things are hard to remember try to focus on not kicking to one of them, every little bit helps.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Howard 769 metres gained
Hill 557m
Gresham 512m
Billings 428m
Ross 388m

But their best 4 were
Petracca 672m (Paddy McCartin 0m)
Salem 609m
May 595m
Oliver 520m

Their mids killed our mids
No-one wanted to go near Petracca, Salem or Oliver when they had the ball.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 27 Mar 2021 11:34pm King has shown he is a good/ok player but no saviour. Last shot (if you can call it that) left a lot to be desired and will not help his confidence or mine - helps explain golf injury. Back to the drawing board - we can't beat tall sides with current line up - and most sides are. Mental note, giving ball to opposition as unforced errors is not a recipe for success. Dribble ball, anything, rather than give Gawn and May marking practice; if two things are hard to remember try to focus on not kicking to one of them, every little bit helps.
King needs to get Plugger to teach him how to kick for goal.
Ball drop too long, leans back too far as he kicks.

I'm sure if they dress King up as a greyhound Plugger will train him.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 27 Mar 2021 11:34pm King has shown he is a good/ok player but no saviour. Last shot (if you can call it that) left a lot to be desired and will not help his confidence or mine - helps explain golf injury. Back to the drawing board - we can't beat tall sides with current line up - and most sides are. Mental note, giving ball to opposition as unforced errors is not a recipe for success. Dribble ball, anything, rather than give Gawn and May marking practice; if two things are hard to remember try to focus on not kicking to one of them, every little bit helps.
That last shot of Kings he won the ball at CHB kust prior to that and then presented at FF - obvious he was stuffed and he needed to hurry as well given the time left - he was suckin in the big ones

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Ape_Man
Club Player

roskilde wrote: Sat 27 Mar 2021 10:28pm
Ajantis wrote: Sat 27 Mar 2021 10:25pm So much finger pointing.. omg lol
Gawn just dominated tonight and they got first touch everytime.
Next week you will signing praises because Essendon wont have a ruckman at all...
Big deal we lost a game, dont make such a big issue of it.
Totally disagree with this and I didn't even think we were that badly mauled in the ruck like many expected we would be.

I thought our rucks were mediocre but not terrible it's just we were totally outclassed, outpaced and beaten for intensity for nearly the entire night and that's unforgivable.

We could have had Grundy, Sandilands and Paddy Ryder all playing ruck tonight and we still would have lost because we were overmatched in nearly every other area and that's worrying.
Probably going to sound like Stone Cold here but a ruckman needs to do more than ruck contests.

Marshall or Ryder would have given us a better contests at ruck contests but would also provide targets throughout the game.

When we were dominating in the second quarter and King was having a rest do you really think not having Marshall or Ryder on the ground wouldn't have helped?

I know they are no big and bustling Longer but I think they would have been handy tonight.
Last edited by Ape_Man on Sat 27 Mar 2021 11:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Ape_Man wrote: Sat 27 Mar 2021 11:49pm
Next week you will signing praises because Essendon wont have a ruckman at all...
Totally disagree with this and I didn't even think we were that badly mauled in the ruck like many expected we would be.

I thought our rucks were mediocre but not terrible it's just we were totally outclassed, outpaced and beaten for intensity for nearly the entire night and that's unforgivable.

We could have had Grundy, Sandilands and Paddy Ryder all playing ruck tonight and we still would have lost because we were overmatched in nearly every other area and that's worrying.
Probably going to sound like Stone Cold here but a ruckman needs to do more than ruck contests.

Marshall or Ryder would have given us a better contests at ruck contests but would also provide targets throughout the game.

When we were dominating in the second quarter and King was having a rest do you really think not having Marshall or Ryder on the ground wouldn't have helped?
Oh don't get me wrong of course we would have been better with a stronger ruck line up. My point was simply that if the rest of the team plays like that you could have the best ruck combination in the history of the game and still lose.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
Ape_Man
Club Player

roskilde wrote: Sat 27 Mar 2021 11:52pm

Oh don't get me wrong of course we would have been better with a stronger ruck line up. My point was simply that if the rest of the team plays like that you could have the best ruck combination in the history of the game and still lose.
I actually believe we could have won if Marshall or Paddy played. And we would have if they were both in the line up.

Marshall may be our most important player. Competitive and clearance beast. Would not have allowed Gawn to float back.

Of course I am a ruck tragic so may be a little bias.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Marshall & Ryder would have made a huge difference - Jones was under done as well & lets not kid ourselves we need another tall down back

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

I know they are no big and bustling Longer but I think they would have been handy tonight.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

asiu
Saintsational Legend

that was depressing

gaz back in box

the marque of ‘big games’ st kilda style

put me out of my misery now
‘n best use a shovel not a spade

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

well that was disappointing just watched the game. Luckily I could fast forward Melb Goals.
We lost to melb and we are nearly full strength. That my friends is damning .
We were outplayed for the majority and not sure how Rats can fix that. Marshall will make a diff but after seeing that I don't think they have that killer instinct yet.
I know its early but that game has deflated my hopes for a crack at the flag, when this side gels...maybe next year .
It may seem that I easily jump off but I never fully jump on. We're not there yet.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 28 Mar 2021 10:44am well that was disappointing just watched the game. Luckily I could fast forward Melb Goals.
We lost to melb and we are nearly full strength. That my friends is damning .
We were outplayed for the majority and not sure how Rats can fix that. Marshall will make a diff but after seeing that I don't think they have that killer instinct yet.
I know its early but that game has deflated my hopes for a crack at the flag, when this side gels...maybe next year .
It may seem that I easily jump off but I never fully jump on. We're not there yet.
Not sure we were near full strength?

I think Ryder Marshall Hannerbury and probably Crouch get us nearer to that - Melb were full strength and still struggled to put us away....I wouldn’t be too choc full of hype if I were a Dees fan

Not playing Carlisle is dumb unless injured he’s clearly best 22 and Melb are strong inside so leaving Bytel out (even for experience) not smart
We carried too many outsiders - Lonie Buttler Higgins Hill et al

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Hill...omg...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sat 27 Mar 2021 11:37pm Howard 769 metres gained
That stat should be obsolete for the guy that kicks out from full back after a behind as they are all playing on gaining metres by running and booting long. Howard had 29 possessions but 14 were when he kicked in from full back. It shouldn't count.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!