Jack Steven ... 58 :(

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

longtimesaint
Club Player

Re: Jack Steven ... 58 :(

skeptic wrote: Mon 21 Oct 2019 5:51pm
Moods wrote: Mon 21 Oct 2019 4:11pm
skeptic wrote: Mon 21 Oct 2019 12:10pm Speaking for myself with no inside knowledge... that’s why I would have preferred sticking to my guns re the trade and getting nothing as opposed to 58

It’s one thing to lose him for nothing and I accept that maybe 58 was essential in Hill but it also sends a message about what we’re like to deal with.

That message based our dealings with Hill, Steven, Hannebery and Hickey is pay overs and sell for unders.

If I was the opposition sussing us out my strategy would be to low ball and hold firm
Yet, when we did do that with Luke Ball (held firm) the club got crucified because we got nothing in return. We could have got pick 25 for him but we held onto our principles.
Unfortunately you're damned if you do damned if you don't.
Good point but with Ball IMO we were the ones that forced him out
Ross Lyin’ did

One year will be our year
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Jack Steven ... 58 :(

Moods wrote: Mon 21 Oct 2019 4:11pm
skeptic wrote: Mon 21 Oct 2019 12:10pm Speaking for myself with no inside knowledge... that’s why I would have preferred sticking to my guns re the trade and getting nothing as opposed to 58

It’s one thing to lose him for nothing and I accept that maybe 58 was essential in Hill but it also sends a message about what we’re like to deal with.

That message based our dealings with Hill, Steven, Hannebery and Hickey is pay overs and sell for unders.

If I was the opposition sussing us out my strategy would be to low ball and hold firm
Yet, when we did do that with Luke Ball (held firm) the club got crucified because we got nothing in return. We could have got pick 25 for him but we held onto our principles.
Unfortunately you're damned if you do damned if you don't.
Close, it was pick 30 plus a player (our choice of Goldsack or Wellingham). Wellingham was just a fringe player who looked good in a star-studded team. Goldsack would have been handy though, especially during our post-GF years.

Not perfect compo for Ball, but better than nothing. I get the feeling that this was more about Lyon holding onto his principles because the Pies were top four rivals. In the end, Pies got him with Pick 30 in the draft anyway, so we looked like the big losers.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.