Jake Carlisle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Tom_Sainter
Club Player

Re: Jake Carlisle

Would like to get him but agree with other sentiments that I don't want to give essendon anything of value for him. Essendon have been notoriously difficult for clubs to deal with in previous trade weeks so I think any deal would be difficult to get done

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:While I think Carlisle is a fine player, Essendon are just impossible to trade with… want twice the value of all their players.

I do not want to see our first pick form any part of a trade for a player like Carlisle, Essendon will no doubt ask for our fist pick and Billings for Carlisle, similar to their negotiations with Port last year.
Can ask for what they like Carlisle is OOC and if he nominates us, trade or PSD with a massive front end load

You are garbage - Enough said
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's the fish that EFC reject, that make EFC the pest...

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Our position here should be strong and simple.
We would like him but don't need to get a defender yet, here's our third round pick
Final offer

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

no, no,no

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
ben_fff
Club Player

Goose is king wrote:Our position here should be strong and simple.
We would like him but don't need to get a defender yet, here's our third round pick
Final offer
While I understand what you're saying at what point do we decide we need a defender? And who says that defender is available at that point? We can't rely on Fisher to lockdown the big keys, Hugh is still learning his craft and Dempster isn't going to grow taller in the off season. Look at the league at the moment. Hogan, Cameron, Walker, Daniher, Boyd etc. Are going to be here for years to come.

I think we have to go for it, at some point we're going to have to give up picks and players to bring in quality.

Carlisle and then Goddard could lock up the spine in the backline for years.

Who knows, maybe we'll offer a combination of picks from this draft and the next.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I wouldnt say no to Carlisle - but Essendon would want a pound of flesh. Using pick 5 on Carlisle when we just just drafted Goddard and when our midfield is the worst in the AFL concerns me somewhat.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ben_fff wrote:
Final offer
While I understand what you're saying at what point do we decide we need a defender? And who says that defender is available at that point? We can't rely on Fisher to lockdown the big keys, Hugh is still learning his craft and Dempster isn't going to grow taller in the off season. Look at the league at the moment. Hogan, Cameron, Walker, Daniher, Boyd etc. Are going to be here for years to come.

I think we have to go for it, at some point we're going to have to give up picks and players to bring in quality.

Who knows, maybe we'll offer a combination of picks from this draft and the next.

I accept your argument - but that implies we are writing Delaney off? If we get Carlisle than realistically thats it for Del. Career over.

ben_fff
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
ben_fff wrote:
Final offer

I accept your argument - but that implies we are writing Delaney off? If we get Carlisle than realistically thats it for Del. Career over.
Delaney is a tough one. He's shown that he can shut down opposition forwards but he has no game outside of that. He's 26 and the AFL is becoming more and more of a rebounding game, all players have to make quick decisions and back themselves to put the team in a position to break the lines.

I was a bit disappointed he didn't play out the season but I can see why Chips keeps him out of the side (even if he can't defend the big boys in one on ones)

Carlisle is 22, was a potential AA defender for the start of last season (before his positional swap) and has a ton of upside. At this point Carlise is ahead Delaney, if we have the goods to get it done then I think we should go for it.

That being said if we don't get him I'd hope Delaney is the starting full back next season, despite what I said at the start of my response I hate watching full forwards kick a big against us every week haha.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Something else to consider is that the Swans, Hawks and Eagles have all got by with small mobile backlines. Mobility seems to be the key. If you are big and mobile well better I suppose. All of them have players who can spoil and then counter-attack. Freo have McPharlin, Johnson and Dawson but Johnson is ultra mobile. Tall but plays as a flanker.

ben_fff
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I wouldnt say no to Carlisle - but Essendon would want a pound of flesh. Using pick 5 on Carlisle when we just just drafted Goddard and when our midfield is the worst in the AFL concerns me somewhat.
And I agree with you here. I guess if this is a legitimate option the club needs to weigh up what's the easiest position to develop an A grader in, the backline or through the midfield.

I'd like to see Webster given the opportunity to play through the centre, he's tough, excellent decision maker with solid disposal. Fingers crossed Billings can stay fit next season and continue to improve. It'll come down to players like Dunstan, Acres, Newnes and Ross making the leap into the next class and then again to become elite.

Our midfield is definitely thin, at times it's like I'm just watching Monty, Armo and Steven hack the ball between half back and half forward

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Would pick 25 + Pierce get it done?

For the record I rate Pierce. Hed get games at Essendon.

ben_fff
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Something else to consider is that the Swans, Hawks and Eagles have all got by with small mobile backlines. Mobility seems to be the key. If you are big and mobile well better I suppose. All of them have players who can spoil and then counter-attack. Freo have McPharlin, Johnson and Dawson but Johnson is ultra mobile. Tall but plays as a flanker.
You can add the Doggies to that list as well (although I'd say the Hawks keys are legit bigs, they're definitely mobile) it's definitely the trend... I guess I don't have the answers just the opinions haha.

Richter
SS Life Member

Carlisle is 23. He'd complete our spine for the next 7+ years...

Carlisle - Goddard - Longer - McCartin - Bruce

If we could somehow get him and keep this years and next years 1st round picks then IMO that would be terrific.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Carlisle is 23. He'd complete our spine for the next 7+ years...

Carlisle - Goddard - Longer - McCartin - Bruce

If we could somehow get him and keep this years and next years 1st round picks then IMO that would be terrific.
That spine does look good. But is there even such thing as a spine these days? More like a rolling maul.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 08 Sep 2015 12:44am, edited 1 time in total.

ben_fff
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Would pick 25 + Pierce get it done?

Who knows. I think with the new trade rules for draft picks clubs will have to start looking at the draft ahead as well.

Say next year is projected as a weak draft where it drops off a cliff after the first 6 picks. Would we offer our second or third round this year and first rounder next year? Would the club bet on itself that we're more likely to finish between 6th and 10th rather that 12th and 16th, would that make it worth it?

Is it better taken a young known player like Carlisle rather than risking picking up the next Tambling? Who knows with draft picks, there's such an element of risk and luck that the combination of Free Agency and trading future draft picks will see alot more movement with them.

Richter
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Would pick 25 + Pierce get it done?

I don't think so.

#25 and Longer certainly would.

#25 and Hickey might.

However, I can't realistically see any young player agreeing to go to that mob, so we'd need to use picks alone. I would have thought either two around #25 or one pick around 10-15 would get it done... not sure how we'd find that second pick. Maybe offer our 2nd round picks this year and next for Carlisle?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
FQF
SS Life Member

He's a quality player who would boost our team now and in the future. Would love him on the condition that no trade involved our first round pick (this year or next) or any of our young stars.

ben_fff
Club Player

Also depends how highly they value Carlisle. It took 17+37 for Ryder who's 4 years older.

Would you trade either of those ruckman plus the pick?..

I would

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

BackFromUSA wrote:The only problem being we may not see him play with us until 2018.
I would assume that there will be strong due diligence. That should mean no interest unless we are sure that he's not in WADA's sights, because quite frankly those in the gun are quite likely stuffed.

I don't think all the Essendon players had the shots, I think you'll find that not all were charged.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

All the rumours suggest the Bombers will not get bans. WADA are just after an admission. Cronulla style deal is still potentially on the table.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:The only problem being we may not see him play with us until 2018.
I would assume that there will be strong due diligence. That should mean no interest unless we are sure that he's not in WADA's sights, because quite frankly those in the gun are quite likely stuffed.

I don't think all the Essendon players had the shots, I think you'll find that not all were charged.

He is charged but its doubtful they will get a big penalty at all. If we want him that shouldn't be a reason not to. I rather an outside mid. Pity Bennell is a ruckman as well. Must be because he seems the ideal type of player we want and it seems we may not be interested.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

He is charged but its doubtful they will get a big penalty at all. If we want him that shouldn't be a reason not to. I rather an outside mid. Pity Bennell is a ruckman as well. Must be because he seems the ideal type of player we want and it seems we may not be interested.
I would have thought our ideal type player is one that isnt being traded by his club because of continuing behavioural issues

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

I would have thought our ideal type player is one that isnt being traded by his club because of continuing behavioural issues

I was talking about his style. Keep following my posts about Bennell around and keep commenting but I still will want him. Its funny that many have suggested they want him and some much stronger than me but it my post that interests you. It kinda making me a bit sick in the mouth.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

ben_fff wrote:Also depends how highly they value Carlisle. It took 17+37 for Ryder who's 4 years older.

Would you trade either of those ruckman plus the pick?..

I would
The difference is that Ryder was contracted. Carlisle is out of contract & seemingly desperate to get out of Essendon.

I wouldn't trade either of Longer or Hickey for Carlisle let alone them plus our 2nd round pick.

If he doesn't choose Carlton (which I believe he will) then we're right in the mix.

2nd rounder & possibly a fringe player. Definitely not critically important players like Longer or Hickey.